'Disasters Down Under' - Old H&A on Fiver

Guest Shaun.

Oh, damn, I keep forgetting these earlier Kane episdes are on! :( I wouldn't get home in time most nights to watch any tho.

You can still watch them online on Demand Five. They should be available for another three weeks.

Despite having a newborn I always thought it was really good of Sally to let everybody stay there and I like Kane’s chat with her.

Why, what was the chat about? :unsure: I was on holiday for a couple of weeks when the Stalker episodes were shown so I missed several and I don't think I remember that.

Nothing much it was just that Sally was worried about Sarah and Kane asked her if she was ok and she just mentioned now that she had a child things were different (whereas before she would have been able to deal with it). Kane was basically trying to reassure her. It’s just that I liked the way she felt she could talk to him and they became friends after that. Several months later Sally and Flynn were very supportive of Kane and Kirsty during his cancer and her HSC. Also, just following on from what Red Ranger mentioned above that people had moved on regarding the stuff that happened with Dani.

Okay, thanks. :)

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks RR1. It’s funny after that how Dan took the moral highground with Amanda, especially when he stopped her from living with Ryan. I’ve just remembered that I forgot to ask where VJ was in that episode.

I’ve lost count of how many times I’ve seen the Jack and Martha wedding episodes. They were definitely on last year. Can’t remember if it was during the Summer or one of the weekend specials later on in 2008 but I did see these the first time they were broadcasted.

It’s funny, even though Macca was in the wrong and clearly the bad guy I always felt quite sorry for him, probably because he came across as a weak willed man who needed help. I remember at the time how annoyed I was with Sally, Martha and especially Ric, who I thought for the most part was an idiot (not just the way he was with Macca but the way he handled situations in general using pure aggression, incapable of diplomacy).

Cassie came across really well, putting aside what he did to her out of love and genuine concern.

Morag’s line to Coleen after Rachel introduced her mother was good. I almost forgot that Ric and Belle went out and I loved Zoe’s entrance near the end of the first episode and the look of fear on people’s faces.

I found it funny how Leah refused to leave Peter. Was she still harbouring feelings towards him?

I really disliked Jack during this time and again remember how annoyed I was the way Martha and Tony were with the doctor when Dan refused to donate Peter’s kidney initially. They seemed to lack empathy, although at least Tony sympathised with Dan when he went to speak with him (even though at first I thought it was a waste of a kidney :P ). If Peter was not dead but in witness protection, did Jack really get his kidney or was that all simply a cover story?

Todays episodes were pretty good. Loved seeing Lucas with that gorg hairstyle. :wub: Matilda is just so pretty. I totally forgot she had an eating disorder, and I have to say, well done to Indiana. That storyline played out really well and she was fantastic in it.

Loved how Tony snapped at Cassie when she was in a total panic. :P

Having a hard time getting used to the new schedules with one of the episodes shown three times and the other one only shown once.Only way I'm going to see them all is to get the video out and it doesn't help that Five Life's commercial-filled schedule means the episodes refuse to stay in their advertised slot.Given that the last three days are made up of episodes that were shown for the first time in the last 12 months I'm wondering whether to bother.

Anyway...good couple of episodes today.Belle pretending to be friends with Cassie and Matilda so she can get to Ric is very reminiscent of Nicole being nice to Annie and Melody to get close to Geoff:Those two have more in common than they and a few of their fans would be willing to admit.The relationship between Belle and Amanda was interesting:On the surface Amanda came across as a bad mum but you got the feeling she was actually trying to be a good mum but didn't know how, so she was teaching Belle to act like her.Irene did come across as a bit of a stick-in-the-mud;as with Jazz later on, she seemed to be doing everything in her power to make her rival look cool in comparison.I think that's possibly the only time I've heard her call Colleen "darl".It's mostly "Hey, you."

Interesting how insecure both Matilda and Belle were back then given they got a lot more confident later.(Some people might suggest Belle then slid back again but that's just me.)Brad's reaction to Sally's story about Flynn was, I believe, the first hint of the storyline with Emily.They actually had a doctor other than Rachel treating them!And Julie silently telling Ric to get his feet down was a top comedy moment.Like Lucas said, Matilda did a good job of being strong for Cassie even when she was at her lowest point.Trivia note:I think those new titles, with Peter taken off and Drew and Brad added on, were the last ones to give the regulars a standard credit before they introduced the "frame" titles.

Glad they showed more Amanda and Belle stuff. I couldn’t stop smiling when she invited Ric, Cassie, Mattie and Lucas round for a party as it was so blatantly obvious she was scheming. Irene was right but I was still glad Amanda gave her a serve as I just didn’t like the way she took to moral highground considering her track record. Again enjoyed the way Amanda was teaching Belle to be scheming and manipulating just like her.

I did see the episodes the first time so I do remember seeing part of Mattie’s bulimia storyline. Forgot Tony used to work at the school though.

End of the first episode showed exactly at times why I’m so hot and cold with Sally. She did annoy me occasionally but the end showed the sort of person she could be going back into the burning building after Belle - Totally selfless. Well done Brad too. It took a lot of guts for him to go back there and hats off when he saved Sally.

Enjoyed the stuff with Amanda and Belle in the second episode and couldn’t help but smile when Belle was playing the situation with Ric and pretending to be upset and had a smirk on her face when he was cuddling her. You could tell he knew what she was up to but was too nice to tell her where to go given the circumstances.

Last of the good stuff, folks:We now get three days of stuff that was first shown on Channel 5 in the last 12 months.But first this:

Loved Kit giving birth again, I'm as torn now as to whether Kim was better off with Kit or with Rachel as I was at the time.There were some great comic moments between Kim and Kit which stopped the whole situation getting too serious and I love that it was Alf that came to the rescue.Ric's comments were hilarious too and his and Matilda's byplay when they're about to go to the hospital was adorable. Some nice stuff from Rachel:I liked that she was genuinely happy for Kim and Kit yet you get those tiny little moments where she's thinking "This isn't going to be easy."In retrospect, Tony talking about how long it takes for a firstborn to come along seem a bit odd when we know he missed the birth of his firstborn.The Jack plotline wasn't so good, that whole situation was probably the nadir of his "corrupt cop" tendencies.Compared to him the current lot are models of professionalism.It was a nice touch though that at a time when her attitude seemed to be "Cam's right and everyone else is wrong", Martha actually turned round and thanked him.And then those last few minutes with Ken taking Jack aside to tell him the news off screen and then Jack insisting on being the one to talk to Tony and the contrast between Jack trying to get the words out and Tony gushing about the baby...

It is a crying shame that they couldn't have dropped one of the recent episodes to show us the continuation of that.While a lot of characters' reactions to Beth's demise were non-existent and the whole thing wasn't handled as well as it could have been, the following episode and the different ways Tony, Kit and Matilda reacted to it would have been nice to see again.(By the way, seems even the credit writers can't tell McGrath and Harper apart:They credited the wrong actor and character!)

Onto the second episode.Not such a good one since the disaster is off screen and we don't have a tragic outcome to lend it some impact.And again we don't see the resolution although it's less of a loss here as the whole thing was cleared up very early in the next episode.Nice that we actually see Jack getting the phone call so the clue's there rather than it just coming out of nowhere.Have to say Brad gave the least romantic proposal in history, just casually dropping it into conversation.No wonder Sally was so befuddled.Nice to get a bit more Pippa and it's a good episode for Lara with her trying to sort things out between Jack and Martha.

Remember I told you to pay attention last week?Well, here we're told it's Leah and Dan's wedding anniversary and in one of last week's episodes it was their anniversary when Jack and Martha got married.Which means it must have been their anniversary too.Odd Martha didn't mention it.(Another credit oddity:In both of those episodes, Martha's surname is given as Mackenzie in the actual episode but Holden on the credits.)

Strangely, I thought I wouldn't enjoy seeing Jack & Martha's wedding for the billionth time, but I was on the edge of my seat. Love those scenes with various characters going into the building to rescue others.

Rachel looked pretty skinny around this time, I much prefer her with a more curved figure. I never liked her and Kim as a couple (in fact I don't like her with Tony either.. why can't they find someone perfect for Rachel). :(

Ugh, I hate that Brad proposal episode. Just reminds me of how much I hated him and what a horrific partner he was for Sally. So pleased she didn't go through with it. I like that end of episode cliffhanger where they realise that someone is missing from the group the search party has seen.

It is a crying shame that they couldn't have dropped one of the recent episodes to show us the continuation of that.While a lot of characters' reactions to Beth's demise were non-existent and the whole thing wasn't handled as well as it could have been, the following episode and the different ways Tony, Kit and Matilda reacted to it would have been nice to see again

I agree I've had that thought for a few of the last eps. Would've liked to have seen the eps that followed Mattie's eating disorder plus the aftermath of Beths death. The acting was so good and I really cared about the characters back then.

Archived