Happy Birthday Home & Away

Guest Mishyy

PAST and present Home And Away stars have come together to celebrate the success of the soapie, still going strong after 21 years.

Cast member Ray Meagher, whose portrayal of Alf has won the world record of the world's longest-serving character, led the celebrations.

"Home And Away is the most financially successful product in the history of the Seven Network," Meagher told a crowd gathered to celebrate the show's birthday.

"Artistically some people might argue."

Hundreds of competition winners and current cast such as Axle Whitehead, Lincoln Lewis, and Luke Jacobz joined previous stars such as Justin Melvey, Emily Symons and Nicolle Dickson for the party at Sydney's Cargo Bar.

Fans were taken down memory lane, shown clips and a celebratory cake was cut.

The mayor of Sydney's Pittwater Council, where the show is filmed, gave cast members the key to Palm Beach.

Meagher said he couldn't believe the show had done so well because in the first few months they didn't expect it to succeed.

"Now, we are knocking on the door of 5000 episodes," Meagher said.

"We are lucky we've got you buggers."

Fans who won a chance to go to the party thanks to a radio promotion from TodayFM radio duo Kyle and Jackie O, were thrilled to get up close with the stars but forced to hand in mobile phones to avoid any controversy.

Jodi Gordon, who has been in the spotlight following an alleged cocaine bender with a bikie last month, was a notable absentee.

A Seven spokeswoman said she and a number of the cast could not attend due to work commitments.

"She has a very early call on Friday and she's at home preparing for work," the spokeswoman said.

Home And Away premiered on Seven in January 1988 and is the second longest-running drama on Australian television after rival soapie Neighbours.

The program has won more than 30 Logie awards in that time.

Set in the fictional seaside town of Summer Bay, Home And Away has been an ongoing ratings winner for the network.

It has boasted some of Australia's most famous actors including Heath Ledger, Isla Fisher, Melissa George, Julian McMahon, Simon Baker, Guy Pearce and Naomi Watts.

Source

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think people on the US soaps and William Roache would disagree about Ray's World Record.

Yeah exactly <_<:rolleyes:

Ray still has a long way to go to beat the "world record" , he may have the Australian record but certainly not the world record.

Some more info....

HOME And Away has recently become a soap opera within a soap opera but last night 180 hardcore fans turned up to cheer, greet and hopefully meet current and former cast members at the show's 21st birthday.

There was one notable absentee - Jodi Gordon, who was hoped would attend but didn't make it.

The official reason was because of filming commitments - she worked into last night and was due back on set at 5.30am today.

Earlier in the week she was expected to attend but some felt she was still gun-shy in the aftermath of the night last month she was reported missing only to turn up in a bikie's apartment the next afternoon.

The show's executive producer John Holmes said that the cast had supported her ever since.

"You will find in a group of people anywhere who work together will protect their own in a crisis," he said. "I hadn't seen her for a couple of weeks but when I did she gave me a smile. It was a shocking week but the whole Home And Away team have moved on."

Fans told Confidential they understood Gordon's plight and said it could happen to anyone, saying she should be given a break and be allowed to move on.

One fan Alyssa O'Regan of Campbelltown, 24, said: "She's a really big star and one of the biggest on the show and it would have been great if she was here but if she's not, who cares?"

Source

Thank you for the article. :D

You can find pictures of some cast members on the Getty Images website: click me.

Thanks for the link to the pics :)

One thing i want to ask is the pic where they are cutting the cake (5th One on top row) Who is the guy at the back on the right behind Leah and Charlie?

Is he new or a past character that i don't recognise?

Archived