Anesthesia

Guest adellejefferiesxox

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I recently had a small skin cancer taken off the side of my face. I didn't feel anything except a bit of pressure. It was a bit strange afterwards because it was sort of close to my eye and I couldn't close that eye. It went back to normal in a couple of hours.

Thanks for sharing your experience about that John, I have 1 mole under my eye and another about 1/2 way between my hairline and the outer corner of my eye and my Dad keeps telling me that he wants me to get them removed. It's something that has always freaked me out because of what could go wrong.

Lol about not being able to close the eye. Thats kind of funny in a way. Its really scary thinking about skin cancer being that close to your eye though.

Is the needle very big?

No, it is quite small.

I recently had a small skin cancer taken off the side of my face. I didn't feel anything except a bit of pressure. It was a bit strange afterwards because it was sort of close to my eye and I couldn't close that eye. It went back to normal in a couple of hours.

Thanks for sharing your experience about that John, I have 1 mole under my eye and another about 1/2 way between my hairline and the outer corner of my eye and my Dad keeps telling me that he wants me to get them removed. It's something that has always freaked me out because of what could go wrong.

I would definitely get them looked at by a doctor. He will tell you whether you should be concerned or not.

I had a melanoma removed from my back a few years back ( ex Vietnam 1969 I suspect.) I was lucky they got it all and I didn't have to have chemo or anything. I have a skin check every 6 months.

This latest small cancer wasn't a melanoma but a basal cell carcinoma ( ? spelling) which aren't as dangerous. The surgeon who removed it did a great job, seven stitches. It was about 5 weeks ago and nobody even notices where it was. The only time they commented was when the dressing covering it came off and the stitches were visible for a few days. They have now been removed of course.

Any surgery is a risk (very small in this case) but so is a mole that may be dangerous.

Stitches don't hurt, no. However, they do have a tendancy to be rather itchy when the wound is healing (It drives me mad :P) and assuming the stitches aren't dissolvable, they use a small set of tweezers (I think they call them tweezers), grasp either end of the stitch (That shouldn't hurt, depending on whether the stitches are at all loose. If they're tight, it can be a little uncomfortable, but I wouldn't go as far as saying painful), snip the stich in half and pull out. No pain when they're being pulled out.

If they're soluble stitches, there's no pain or discomfort because they just diappear :P

I've had both local and full anaesthetic, and neither is bad. Local is just like a regular vaccine shot, only you only feel the first half of it or so and then it kicks in and you don't feel anything. There might be some pressure, but it's not bad at all. The shot is probably the "worst" part of it, and unless she has a serious needle phobia, that one shouldn't be a problem either. They're not using a nail and a hammer to insert a straw or anything, it's a perfectly normal, small needle.

I had a general anaesthetic a while back. It's the weirdest sensation. You can feel this cold sensation going up your arm then at the back of your throat and then your lungs feel really heavy. No matter how hard you try to keep your eyes open you can't. I've never had a local though except for at the dentist

After I had an operation on my mouth I have to admit that getting the stitches out was nearly the sorest part- they had to expose a tooth and everything

I hope your friends thing goes ok!!!

I had a general anaesthetic a while back. It's the weirdest sensation. You can feel this cold sensation going up your arm then at the back of your throat and then your lungs feel really heavy. No matter how hard you try to keep your eyes open you can't.

It is a very weird sensation. The cold sensation in the arm was probably the worst part of it. I hate that. Every time I've had mine, there's been a nurse stod there, stroking my arm to try and ease the sensation, but all it does is make me itch :P. lol. I've never had a local though. I dread ever having to have one.

Archived