Deadline

Guest Luc

Please let the guy with the sunglasses be Aden! lol

I didn't think of that!! Honestly didn't have any idea who the guy was, but with the sunglasses it could so be Aden!!

Another great chapter!! The tv show is going to regret having Belle on the show!! Classic Belle!!!!

Also I loved how she scratched Steve's ear instead of Cool Cat's!!! :lol:

Can't wait for more!

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LMAO! Oh, Belle. :lol: She's too good! I absolutely loved the way she spoke almost every word on the show. Hilarious!

Hehe, I thought/hoped that guy at the beginning was Aden. I hope we find out who it was soon. And what's happened between this chappie and the last.

Cannot wait for more!

xoxo

Thanks Laura, Sam and Taniya :).

-Chapter Seventeen-

Bad News; Part Two

Belle Taylor walked into the large hall of a large house. She was wearing a short black skirt and a black jacket. Her hair was piled on top of her head in an untidy beehive. This was her attempt at dressing up.

“Belle,” said a kind voice. It was that of an older woman. This was Harriet Lee, the wife of the Coastal Junior’s boss, Jonathan Lee. “It was good of you to come.”

“It’s a pleasure,” Belle replied, scanning the room of Gavin Damons. “Well, it’s not exactly a pleasure, but it’s a nice house.”

“We’re going to the cemetery at ten,” Harriett added. Belle was still looking out for the man. Belle nodded.

“Great.” She looked back at the woman. “Well, um, okay,” she said, trying her hardest to sound sincere. She must have pulled it off, as Harriett smiled sadly. Belle walked around the large hall a few times. There were many people there she knew from the editor’s parties Lee held. They were all dressed in black, looking solemn. After her third round she spotted Gavin in the corner with two editors Belle recognised to be as Samantha Black and Lydia Knight, they were co-editors of The Reefton Lake Gazette. Belle walked up to him as the ladies left. “This is serious, right?”

“I think that is the prevailing mood,” Gavin replied without greeting her. Belle scanned the room yet again.

“So who’s going to be our new owner?” She asked the man. Gavin rolled his eyes in disbelief.

“Belle, we haven’t buried the old one yet!” He reminded her.

“Well I admire your optimism but I think it’s going to happen,” the girl shot back sarcastically. A loud laugh rang out from across the room. “This could be bad news for us. We’re already on a wafer thin profit margin because of this expansion thing and our new owner could decide we’re not worth it and pull the plugs altogether. Just when we were really getting somewhere.”

“Speaking of bad news,” Gavin interrupted, “We’re here at the funeral of a man who died one week before his fifty-seventh birthday.”

“Yeah, that’s sad too.”

“You’re a lady of unexpected depths, Belle,” Gavin muttered, “To which you regularly sink.” He added.

“Okay, so it’s rough on Jonathan Lee as well, but at least he won’t have to worry about the employment of twenty-two people tomorrow morning.” Belle shot at her boss. He raised his hands slightly, signalling defeat. Gavin looked around the room before jerking his head towards a window.

“You see the man beside the window?” He asked. Belle looked around and saw a man in his late twenties or early thirties talking to the same women Gavin had been speaking to moments before. “That’s Antony Lee, the nephew. Jonathan didn’t have any immediate family, so Antony inherits the papers.”

“What does he do?” Belle asked Gavin as the man passed the women business cards.

“A lot, according to him.” Belle’s boss replied. They watched as the man walked up to another editor Belle had seen before – he was Richard Johnson, the editor of the Yabbie Creek Times. “He wanted to bet me he could strike two major deals before we ‘hit’ the church.”

“He was betting on deals at a funeral?” Belle said in disgust. Even she wouldn’t sink so low. Gavin nodded.

“And it looks as if I’m going to lose.” He laughed as Antony shook Richard’s hand. He laughed loudly again. Belle watched him, her eyes wide with shock.

“That’s who’s going to decide our future.” She said in fright. Gavin couldn’t tell if it was a statement or a question.

“I’ll see if I can shake him lose and get him to come over here,” he said to the terrified girl. “You ought to meet him.” Belle turned her head towards Gavin rapidly.

“Why? Do you think he’s made the decision already?”

“Well, let’s see,” the Coastal News’s editor said. He walked towards Antony and they said a few things Belle watched on eagerly. Gavin laughed and continued talking. He pointed at Belle. Antony looked over and shook his head. Belle felt her heart plummet as he walked away. He gave her one final look before walking out of the room.

The next day, the newsroom was busy, as usual. Annie Holmes was going around handing out mail. On top of each was a letter addressed to the recipient and marked ‘private and personal’ at the top. Ruby Buckton picked hers up and began opening it. Before she could pull the letter out and read it, Belle called out for her.

“Rubes!” she said. Belle looked over at the frazzled editor. There was an empty desk in front of her and she knew that the latest deputy editor had quit. Belle’s desk was covered with in trays filled to the top with news stories she had to sign off on, and legal documents she had to sign for the expansion. “Ruby!” she called out again. Ruby got to her feet.

“Coming.” She called back meekly.

“Who’s my assistant editor this week?” Belle asked as the girl came to a stop next to her. “Where’s Julian. He was doing really well?” Ruby sat down in the vacant deputy editor’s chair.

“He’s doing even better now that he’s lost the stammer and doesn’t flinch at loud noises.” Ruby replied.

“So he’s not coming in?” Belle asked in disappointment. She flopped down into her chair.

“Do you really think it’s reasonable to keep punishing people because they’re not Geoff?” Ruby shot at her. Belle thought about this for a moment.

“Well they’re not.” She said coldly. The pair was silent until Annie walked up to them the mail bag over her shoulder.

“Mail,” she said, trying her hardest to sound enthusiastically. She passed Belle a large stack of envelopes. On the top was a letter marked ‘private and personal’. “Can’t someone else do this stupid job?” Annie asked. Ruby smiled at her.

“Fancy being Belle’s assistant for a week?” Annie shook her head as she closed the mail bag.

“No, I think I want to concentrate more on mail delivery.” She walked off. Belle turned back to Ruby.

“I’m really loved around here, aren’t I?” she asked, slamming her mail down onto the desk. It made a loud thud.

“Don’t start this again.”

“I can’t even meet a guy who can bear to be on the same continent as me!” Belle moaned. “Geoff’s in England, Spike’s back in America...”

“Belle, you’re off again!” Ruby said. Belle hiccupped. “See what I mean?” Belle sighed in defeat. “Look, I think you’re going to have to forget about Spike. And Geoff for that matter. We need to find someone else who can stand sitting here! That’s going to be hard to do.”

As she said that, Nicole Franklin pushed the newsroom door open and walked in, a Crazy Stuff clipboard pressed against her chest, a designer handbag over her shoulder.

“Have we tried everyone?” Belle asked her best friend.

“Everyone who’s willing.”

“That didn’t seem to take long.”

“Anyway, I've got work to do,” Ruby said, rising from her chair. Nicole came to a stop next to her.

“Hello again.” She said to the editor.

“Oh, hi.” Belle said, she turned to Ruby, “Rubes, you remember Melody, don’t you?” Nicole rolled her eyes.

“Yeah, I do.” Ruby replied, “Good to see you again Nicole.” The blonde girl grinned.

“And you.”

“Listen, I’ll catch up with you in a moment, I've got stuff to do.”

“Sure,” Nicole said, “I remember.” Belle looked over at Ruby as she sat down at her desk.

“Don’t mind her,” she told Nicole, “Nicole was the girl before you.”

“Yeah, I heard.” Nicole said sarcastically.

“So what can I do for you?” Nicole sat down in Geoff’s old chair.

“You know the show I work for now? Crazy Stuff?” she asked the editor. “The one you did.” She added. “You were a big hit. We got tons of letters.”

“You’re kidding!”

“No, honest!” Nicole said enthusiastically. “And in fact, we were wondering if you’d be interested in coming back.” Belle’s jaw dropped.

“Drew?” Ruby asked as she saw the young man holding a letter tightly, his face pale. “Are you alright?”

“I just got fired.” Drew informed her. Confused, Ruby walked over to him and looked at the letter. She noticed that the only opened envelope was one that was marked ‘private and personal’. Ruby dropped the letter and walked over to her desk. She picked up the letter she had opened earlier and began reading it.

“Ruby!” a male reporter called out. He jogged over to her. “I've just got this letter.” Ruby snatched it off him and placed the letter she had received against it. It was identical apart from the name at the top. She looked around the newsroom. By now everybody had opened the letter. “What’s going on?”

“I don’t believe this!” Ruby shouted.

“Belle, you were a natural!” Nicole exclaimed, “All the kids hate that cat. They loved it when you mouthed it off!”

“It’s not an experience I would like to repeat. That’s final.”

“Belle!” Ruby called out.

“In a moment Ruby,” Belle shot at the reporter.

“But it’s urgent!”

“I've got to go anyway,” Nicole said, standing up. “I just thought I’d pop in on the off chance...”

“No chance.” Impatiently, Ruby piked up the pile of letters Belle had thrown down and pulled the top on out. “What are you doing?”

“I know what you’re all thinking!” Angelo shouted to Belle, “But this has got nothing to do with me. As if I would sell the Coastal Junior! I’m sick and tired of these endless accusations!”

“What accusations?” Belle asked.

“Just cut it out, okay!” Angelo snapped, sounding slightly hurt.

“I’ll see you guys around,” Nicole said walking away.

“Fine, sure,” Belle said to her before turning back on Angelo. “Angelo, what are you on about?”

“I don’t have to put up with this!” He stormed off. Belle turned to Ruby, who was now reading on of her letters.

“You better read this.” She said, passing it to the editor.

A/N: As you can see, I have written Geoff out. I found he was getting to hard to write, so I decided to bring back another character to replace him. It was a toss up between Nicole and Melody, but Nicole won, as I didn't get a chance to develope her character the first time around.

Awww Geoff's gone.... :( He'll be sadly missed!!

Really glad you brought Nicole back into it

I felt really sorry for Belle after the first bit, i lovehow she's still seems to be feared by the other employees :lol:

Cant wait for more........ :D

Aw, no! Bye-bye Geoffy :( But I'm very interested to see how Nicole goes in this fic! All of your characters are lovable!

:lol: at Belle at the funeral, and that she was a big hit on the show! That wasn't something that I was expecting!

I really wonder what those letters are about and who they're from... :unsure:

Cannot wait for more!

I thought I had missed chapter when I read Geoff was gone and living in England!! But I hadn't! I am going to miss Geoff, you made me like his character unlike the show's Geoff, I am also going to miss Belle and Geoff's friendship and interaction, but ah well I will get over it!!

[“I know what you’re all thinking!” Angelo shouted to Belle, “But this has got nothing to do with me. As if I would sell the Coastal Junior! I’m sick and tired of these endless accusations!”

“What accusations?” Belle asked.

“Just cut it out, okay!” Angelo snapped, sounding slightly hurt.

I really love Angelo in this fic, he is constantly making me laugh with his schemes and his lines!! Angelo instantly thinking people would be blaming him LOL!! Ah I love it!!

I am really intrigued with what Nicole is going to be like...

Can't wait for more, I am really enjoying the fic!! You are doing an awesome job!!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the comments guys. If I can, I'll try and bring Geoff back in it for maybe a chapter or two later on down the line, but I'm not promising anything.

-Chapter Eighteen-

Bad News; Part Three

Angelo and Belle stood outside Gavin Damon’s office. Both were holding the letters they had been sent regarding the closure of the Coastal Junior. Belle had her ear pressed up against the door, listening to Antony laugh.

“Are you listening to me?” Angelo demanded. Belle pulled her ear away from the door.

“Angelo, one lousy time I threw an ashtray. That doesn’t mean I’m going to do it at every meeting!” She snapped. Angelo pulled her away from the door.

“We’re fighting for survival here Belle,” he told her. “Unarmed.” The door flew open and Gavin was standing there. At his desk was Antony Lee.

“Come on in,” Gavin said warmly. Angelo took a deep breath.

“Besides, we’re not having a meeting here,” he reminded Belle, “We’re making a pitch, which is my department.” Belle nodded in defeat. “You’ll only get mad at him. Look, this Antony Lee sounds like aright sleazy money-grabbing lowlife. Just my type of guy.” Belle rolled her eyes impatiently. Angelo took this as a hint to go in. “Antony Lee!” He exclaimed, walking into the room, he held out his hand for a handshake all the way to the desk.

“Yes,” he said. Angelo grinned.

“I’m Angelo Rosetta.” He announced. He pointed at Belle. “This is my editor, Belle Taylor, and you’ve obviously already met Gavin.” Gavin rolled his eyes as he walked over to his filing cabinet. Angelo sat down. “Nice guy, but laced up a bit straight. We’ll talk.”

“Angelo,” said Belle warningly. He ignored her.

“Can I just say concerning your uncle’s death... bummer.” Antony nodded disinterestedly. “When you’re talking about Jonathan Lee, you’re talking about my favourite dead guy.” Gavin groaned and buried his head in his hands. Belle gave him a threatening look.

“Thankyou.” Antony said after a short pause.

“I mean, Jon Lee, he was much more to us than just a signature on a pay check, and I really mean that! He was dad to the whole news team. He was ‘pop’; he was ‘the old man’. Your uncle, Antony, was my father.”

“Can I make a point here,” Antony interjected. Angelo shrugged.

“Hey, sure! We’re cousins.”

“The Coastal Junior is closing.” Belle and Angelo turned their full attention to the man. “No further discussion.”

“I really respect bluntness Antony...”

“Now listen to me, your paper doesn’t sell enough. It doesn’t make enough money, so it’s finished. I’m closing it. Understood?” Angelo looked away from the new boss. Antony looked over at Belle. “Understood?” he asked again sharply. Belle turned to Angelo.

“Bluntness city.” She said to him monotonously.

“Fine,” Antony said. He got up from Gavin’s chair and walked over to him. “Gavin, can we discuss what you’re charging for advertising?” Angelo pursed his lips as the man walked away. He reached out and grabbed the ashtray that was in front on him. Belle leapt up and wrestled it off him. She placed it down in front of herself before folding her arms across her chest.

Half-an-hour later, Belle and Angelo were back at the newsroom. The editor pushed the door open and found the entire newsroom was sitting down, watching her. She ignored them.

“Ruby, could you get me the number of the Crazy Stuff production office, Nicole Franklin’s extension if possible. I’ll be in Angelo’s office.” She said to her head reporter sadly as she and Angelo began walking over to his little office.

“Sure,” Ruby said, slightly confused.

“Belle!” Drew’s voice rang out. Belle stopped and turned to face the news team again. “What’s happening?”

“What’s happening Drew, is that we’ve got two more editions to put out before the paper terminates.”

“What’s the point?”

“The point is, Drew, that we’re being closed down because we don’t sell enough newspapers, which is fine, it’s perfectly fair. I have no problem with that. This is business after all. So the solution’s simple, we’ve got to up our sales figures so much that Antony Lee would be mad to get rid of us. We’ve got two weeks to be too good too miss.” Belle paused after her short speech. She stood still, watching her news team do nothing. “You’re all really quite for people running for their lives.” She cast one final, threatening look at them before storming into Angelo’s office.

Ten minutes later, Ruby pushed the door to the small office open and walked in, a piece of paper in her hands. Angelo was behind her.

“I've got the number,” she told the editor. She placed the paper down next to the phone. “You’re really going to plug us on the air?” Ruby asked, sounding slightly impressed. “Will they allow that?”

“It’s live. I won’t tell them I’m going to,” Belle said, sounding stressed. She pushed the phone over to Ruby, who dialled the number. Belle looked up at Angelo. “This is your big chance, salesman. Double our profits.” Angelo laughed.

“It can’t be done.”

“You have complete editorial control. Put in the paper what you damn well like, but make people buy it.” Belle said sternly. Angelo shifted uncomfortably.

“It’s completely impossible,” he muttered.

“Fine. You have a week.”

“Hi, Nicole, it’s Ruby Buckton, Belle for you,” Ruby said into the phone. Belle held out her hand for the phone, and the reporter gave it to her. She placed it to her ear.

“Hi.”

“Belle...”

“I changed my mind; I’ll be there on Saturday.”

“Hey, that’s great! Let me tell you what we’ve got in mind...”

“Tell me on the day.” Belle snapped at the young woman, “One thing though, whatever I do, I want it live, no pre-recorded stuff, okay?”

“Fine, sure,” Nicole replied, “The whole show’s live anyway, Look I...”

“I’ll be in touch.” Belle interrupted. She pulled the phone away from her ear and hung up.

“She went for it?” Ruby asked,

“Well, she’s got no reason to suspect anything, has she?”

In Nicole Franklin’s office at the Crazy Stuff production office, the young blond placed the phone down and picked up a pen.

“That was her,” she said to a man sitting on the opposite side of her desk, “She went for it, and she doesn’t suspect a thing.” The man laughed and pulled of a pair of sunglasses.

That Saturday, the entire news team was sat around Belle’s desk, a television sitting on it. They were watching to see Belle’s plug.

“Yoo-hoo!” The host, Steve, called out as he roller-skated into view. “Hi, and welcome to Crazy Stuff! What have we got on the show today? Wellll why don’t I just tell you? In half an hour, the Karrrate Pigs, knu-chung, are facing the plunges of death in a new, two part story, and after that...”

“Tosser...” Drew whispered to Ruby under his breath. She couldn’t help but laugh.

In the Crazy Stuff studio, Belle was sitting down on the sofa, her arms folded tightly against her chest. She was trying her best to ignore the Cool Cat puppet sitting near her.

“...some kids who have found a very unusual way of raising money for charity...” Belle looked up and saw a familiar looking male she thought she would never see again. He was standing with his back pressed against a wall. Belle blinked a few times, and he was gone.

“...but first, remember last week? Remember the Coastal Junior and Belle Taylor? Tough lady, right?” He let out a loud laugh. “If you missed it, we had a little interview going with her, and she went storming off because she didn’t like our style. Well she hasn’t held it against us because she’s back with us this morning and who knows, we might get a little of our own back. Gna, gna, gna.” He waved his arms around crazily before pointing in the direction of the sofa. “Cool Cat?” he asked.

“Hi Steve!” The fake cat exclaimed, “I have the lady herself sitting here next to me...” the puppeteer turned the cat’s head towards Belle. “Hi Belle!”

“Good morning,” Belle said, trying her hardest to sound comfortable.

“Feeling any cooler?”

“Still fine.”

“That’s great.”

“Hi Belle,” Steve said, skating behind the sofa to reach his normal chair. “Have you forgiven us?”

“Yeah, sure,” she hesitated before continuing. “Look, I have something to say that may be a bit... well, unexpected...”

“That’s kind of funny,” The plush puppet laughed, “Because we’ve got something for you that’s going to be really unexpected! Hey Steve?”

“That’s right!” Steve exclaimed, “You see sometimes on this show Belle, we like to spring little surprises on our guests...”

“Surprises?”

“You see, the last time you were on, we got a lot of reaction...” As Steve explained this to Belle, a familiar looking young adult stuck his head out from behind a wall. He was somewhat shortish and was wearing very dark sunglasses, once a blonde, he had dyed his hair so that it was a deep chocolate brown. The fact he had a different hair colour couldn’t hide who he was to his friends.

“Spike...” Drew muttered in shock. A large grin appeared on Angelo’s face, and Ruby opened her mouth to speak, but closed it, to shocked to find the right words. Aden walked out from behind the wall and walked slowly over to Belle, who was still listening to Steve talking. He lowered himself down on his knees behind her. He was grinning.

“... bad tempered,” Steve said to Belle nervously, “And then someone got in contact with us and explained it all. Even why you were so touchy on the subject of boyfriends.”

“What on earth are you talking about?” asked Belle uncertainly,

“We’re about to give you the happiest surprise of your life!” Steve said eagerly. Annie laughed.

“I can’t watch this,” Ruby said, turning her chair away from her television. After a moment she was looking at the screen over her shoulder.

“... there’s a guy out there you’re just crazy about, someone you don’t think you’re going to see again. Someone who might bring out your softer side...”

“My what?” Belle snapped.

“They don’t know what they’re dealing with.” Annie muttered. Ruby nodded, her jaw having dropped again.

“Why don’t you take a little look behind you?” Steve suggested to the young woman. Slowly, Belle turned her head and saw Aden, he was grinning at her. Silence overcame the news team as they waited for Belle to react...

Archived