Hugo Austin - Bernard Curry

doola

I don't think Hugo's return is really working out, even though it's early days.Hugo worked when there was an ambiguity about him, when we had the choice of focusing on the hints of something going on or taking him at face value.He didn't work so well at the start of the year when they turned him into a faceless gun-toting bad guy.And now that he's back he's basically being presented as a criminal who views the police as the enemy and seems to be inspiring those around him to act the same.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, she kissed him.But aside from that, yeah, it's a shame he became who he did.It's strange because when Hugo left I felt that he wasn't beyond redemption.Now...I guess he still isn't beyond redemption, he just hasn't been redeemed.If the writers wanted us to be on his side, then that little moment when we seem his standing poised to assault Charlie or Angelo if they discovered him was a serious error.Up until that point, I'd been sympathetic towards him but that just showed that he really was just a criminal, prepared to hurt innocent bystanders if it was to his advantage.

It felt as though there should have been a lot more mistrust aimed at him when he came back.Gina did a complete 180 regarding him in the space of five minutes.Martha and Xavier, and to a lesser extent Tony, were torn between still loving him and being ashamed of his actions when his true colours were revealed yet they just welcomed him back with open arms.And that's even before you get onto the idea of Ruby hiding her mother's kidnapper.There was no real remorse from him on his actions, or towards the people that died directly or indirectly as a result of his actions, it was all just brushed under the carpet(as several people pointed out, we saw no reaction from Irene to the fact he was involved in her boyfriend's murder).Instead we got a hollow "heroism/suffering as redemption" storyline, where instead of making up for what he's done and taking responsibility for his actions he drives a car at a hitman, punches a corrupt cop and takes a bullet in the leg and apparently that makes it even.

Plus it seemed we had to take a few leaps of logic to let him off the hook.First, with Hugo apparently having given no useful information despite spending months in witness protection, the police are seemingly left to crack the people smuggling case with the help of a ruthless killer(like they haven't got enough of them in custody already).Second, Hugo came back to town because he was worried someone would go after his family and Tony mentioned when it was first revealed he was alive that the people after him could end up holding knives to their throats to lure him out of hiding.But halfway through, the whole logic got flipped and we were told that they were only in danger because Hugo was in town and if he left they'd be all right.Never mind that the people after him are just as likely to go after his family either as bait or revenge by proxy if they can't find him.Joe Public never clocks a thing.

No, she kissed him.But aside from that, yeah, it's a shame he became who he did.It's strange because when Hugo left I felt that he wasn't beyond redemption.Now...I guess he still isn't beyond redemption, he just hasn't been redeemed.If the writers wanted us to be on his side, then that little moment when we seem his standing poised to assault Charlie or Angelo if they discovered him was a serious error.Up until that point, I'd been sympathetic towards him but that just showed that he really was just a criminal, prepared to hurt innocent bystanders if it was to his advantage.

It would have been just their bad luck i guess nothing personal, i'm sure he knows Charlie and Angelo are on the right side of the law just doing their job but by the time they understood or rather believed the whole situation of him being compromised it probably 'd be too late and ending up badly for both him and his family, cops aren't the brightest he knows from experience like when they texted Angelo to warn him about Eaves, Martha wanted to wait for Angelo but Hugo wasn't counting on Angelo to save them not because he thought Angelo is lazy or anything but because he knew Angelo wouldn't stand a chance on his own he clearly was underestimating things, coming over to the farm with Eaves

When Hugo turns to violence it's mostly because his loved ones are in trouble he won't let anyone get in the way, if that's considered as for his own advantage

like when Gardy was holding Xavier under gun, Hugo wasn't negotiating he immediately reacted with shooting Gardy to get what he wanted because he's used to these situations he can afford it

like when Charlie thought she had cracked the case, discovering "the mastermind" Hugo had no other choice but to hit her with his gun get her out of the way otherwise indirectly she would've killed Martha , of course at the time Hugo didn't know Angelo was also taking care of it

It felt as though there should have been a lot more mistrust aimed at him when he came back.Gina did a complete 180 regarding him in the space of five minutes.Martha and Xavier, and to a lesser extent Tony, were torn between still loving him and being ashamed of his actions when his true colours were revealed yet they just welcomed him back with open arms.And that's even before you get onto the idea of Ruby hiding her mother's kidnapper.There was no real remorse from him on his actions, or towards the people that died directly or indirectly as a result of his actions, it was all just brushed under the carpet(as several people pointed out, we saw no reaction from Irene to the fact he was involved in her boyfriend's murder).Instead we got a hollow "heroism/suffering as redemption" storyline, where instead of making up for what he's done and taking responsibility for his actions he drives a car at a hitman, punches a corrupt cop and takes a bullet in the leg and apparently that makes it even.

okay make it even to Angelo or to making it up for what he has done over the years cause i thought it was more to earn back Angelo's trust because apparently all this time they thought Hugo was gonna let them die when he was able to save them

If Gina knew Ruby harldy sees her mum she wouldn't have said it

lying to your mum is one thing with Gina's son there was a bit more at stake

Plus it seemed we had to take a few leaps of logic to let him off the hook.First, with Hugo apparently having given no useful information despite spending months in witness protection, the police are seemingly left to crack the people smuggling case with the help of a ruthless killer(like they haven't got enough of them in custody already).Second, Hugo came back to town because he was worried someone would go after his family and Tony mentioned when it was first revealed he was alive that the people after him could end up holding knives to their throats to lure him out of hiding.But halfway through, the whole logic got flipped and we were told that they were only in danger because Hugo was in town and if he left they'd be all right.Never mind that the people after him are just as likely to go after his family either as bait or revenge by proxy if they can't find him.Joe Public never clocks a thing.

I don't know if Eaves was a big fish or anything he's not Hugo and i don't see him changing anytime soon but he's gonna have to cooperate if he still loves his life and doesn't wanna end up dead in prison rather than have a life in witness ptrotection and since he was the insideman for years he might have a good one too :huh:

Tony was talking out of own experience :lol::lol::( they all realise that they'll be in danger for the rest of their lifes but i's becoming a bit more realistic now that it's not one killer after another , besides how are they gonna contact Hugo when taken hostage no one knows where they are, even the persons in question i bet :(

^Oh, so just Charlie and Angelo's bad luck if they get assaulted(and no doubt just his family's bad luck when they all get charged with being accessories).I guess it was just Lou's bad luck he got shot and tossed in the ocean, just Donna's bad luck she got framed for murder and just the people in the crate's bad luck they got left for dead.There comes a point where "just protecting me and mine" starts to sound a bit hollow.(Ironically, he nearly indirectly killed Martha himself by kidnapping Charlie and thus leaving her at Derrick's mercy and not turning up for the exchange.)

It did feel as though we were supposed to believe that because Hugo played a part in stopping Killer and Eaves and was injured in the process that that somehow "wiped the slate clean" as Charlie put in and he didn't need to be punished for his actions.As for Eaves...for a start, despite being several shades more evil, he actually seems like a smaller fish than Hugo, just someone who was feeding them information rather than someone directly involved in the operation.For another thing, they've had Suzy and Derrick, who were a lot bigger than either of them, in custody for months so it's hard to see how catching Eaves is a breakthrough.There's nothing to tie him to the people smuggling so he could just clam up and hope for a lighter sentence.

It felt like the writers kept changing the rules depending on the situation:One week we're told if Hugo's in custody then his enemies will harm Xavier instead, the next week we're told if Hugo goes to jail they'll kill him.If they really are so ruthless that they'll kill one of their own men to stop him talking, then if they can't find Hugo they're likely to go after his family whether they know where he is or not, either killing them as an example to anyone else who might decide to betray them and then disappear or hurting or killing them one by one until he comes back and offers himself up.(I assume/hope that Hugo's keep track of them somehow and would notice.)Maybe in a few months time that'll be addressed but I imagine the whole thing will just be quietly forgotten about.

Edited by Red Ranger 1

Hugo dumped his mobile at sea he said it was to protect Martha (staying clear from the cops was reassuring his family's safety) k

so Hugo was just following Suzy's orders then Derrick tried get money out of it, to the ghetto i suspect where Angelo had already been asking strippers out.

So it was actually Derrick's fault playing double,

Charlie still had a choice, of course she solved the case it had come to an end something had to happen, the opposite to Angelo he had to handle things professionally because his freedom was depending on it like it ever was!

think what made Eaves so special was that he was a cop and he'd been one all those years what exactly is his secret , how did he pull it off never being caught.. eventhough they still kill him once he lands in prison, i guess routinel

another thing that really bother me was that Hugo really did lock all refugees in the container untill Derrick came rushing things because he lost his people at sea,

Martha didn't slow him down did she cause once he got them out of sb he would have quitted, what happened aside Wayan being a difficult costumer sts)

Hugo was already giving up of guilt for what he did to those people

i just can't image it being so hard... why did he have to lock them up? why?