Working In Australia

Guest suzannelgnz

Hi all,

I am thinking of spending my uni holidays (November '09 to March 2010) working in sydney, and I'm wanting to hear about peoples experiences and any advice.(I would probably be working in Hospitality - I can work as a Kitchen hand, Cafe Assistant, Catering Assistant, and Waitress).

Thankies :)

I've only done a few work experiences and have my current part time job at a restaurant but most of the places I've worked at are male dominated. They've been a mix of fairly relaxed places when it comes to attitude to work as long as its done at a respectable standard. All of the places I've been have been really helpful and friendly (especially at my job now) but you'll probably have to turn a blind eye to some of the comments or jokes that go on (male dominated makes some of them quite crude :P) And if you're going to work in the heart of city of Sydney you'd be really busy of a morning and Thursday. Friday and Saturday nights at resturants and places that stay open of a night. But like the person above said, depends where you work. :)

The pay is alright but depending on the area and what type of place you're working at, the tip usually isn't great. If you work at a fast food/takeaway/small cafe you rarely get tips but usually at these places the people are nice (especially if it's a small community suburban area) because you get to know the regulars fairly well. If you're working in the city it's busy all the time, especially during the morning/lunch rush.

Currently in Sydney there are pretty much no jobs available; I've been looking for six weeks, and I know some people who have been looking for three months. This is mostly because we're all just looking for 6 month contracts, and places seem to want permanent workers only.

Saw an article in a newspaper today, titled, "50,000 seek work in Sydney" - think it was possibly the Herald? Not sure though.

Sooo, based on current events in workforce Sydney, I'd advise you to seek elsewhere - but by the time you come here, it might have turned around completely :)D

Thanks for what everyone has said so far,

Jaymey-Maria- I think that working in a male dominated workplace could be ok, from my own experiences I have often found Women to not be the best employers. I'm not sure where I would end up working, I'll probably start looking while I do my second semester exams in the hope that maybe i'll have something when I get to Oz. But, I hope to end up working for a place where I could just transfer from the Wellington Company to one in Sydney or Melbourne.

Grumblebum- I have a lot of experience in the hospitality field, I have worked as a kitchenhand/cafe assistant in the past, and I am doing a combination of catering assistant and waitressing work at the moment.

I know from my own experiences as to what hours I would be working, and when it is busiest.

Symphony- How easy is it to find an apartment or a flat??

• 2 weeks later...

Bumping with a couple of questions.....

I want to try and figure a budget out for saving up some money for my trip and was wondering how much I can expect to pay per week for living expenses. I'm thinking that I will be living in a serviced apartment since i'll be in Sydney for about 3 months.Oh, and I also wouldn't mind suggestions of places to go on day trips to within NSW.

^ Depends where you live. IN the city, people seem to be paying around 225 - 250 a week.

Further out in Coogee / Bondi areas, people seem to pay around $150 - 175 a week.

And hten if you go up north, you can get places for around $100 a week.

I'm doing my RSA on Friday as there are still no jobs turning up for me...

Archived