Grease 3

Guest Luc

LOS ANGELES, California (Hollywood Reporter) — Hoping “Grease” lightning can strike a third time, Paramount Pictures is drawing up plans for “Grease 3,” a continuation of the hit musical franchise.

The plan is to set the new project in the late-’70s, feature plenty of disco music and have the story evolve around the children of the original characters. John Travolta and Olivia Newton-John, stars of the 1978 original, have already been given a heads-up that their services will be sought once a script is completed. A search for writers is underway.

Didi Conn, who played Frenchie, is serving as an executive producer. She is said to have been instrumental in generating the studio’s current enthusiasm for putting together a new installment of the film.

At the studio’s DVD release party for “Grease” in the fall, sources said Conn approached Paramount chief Sherry Lansing after Travolta and Newton-John wowed partygoers with the musical number “You’re The One That I Want.”

The original “Grease” spawned a sequel four years later, “Grease 2.” Its failure was ascribed by some observers to the introduction of a new cast of characters, headed by Maxwell Caulfield and Michelle Pfeiffer.

In developing “Grease 3,” the producers hope to avoid that problem by bringing back the old gang from the first installment while also introducing new characters

SOURCE

AND

Grease 3 for Sandy and Danny

February 28 2003

By Anthony Stavrinos

Olivia Newton-John has signed up with John Travolta for a third instalment of the popular movie-musical Grease, which shot her to fame 25 years ago.

Newtown-John yesterday confirmed she and Travolta were committed to the movie, but quashed reports that Kylie Minogue had been earmarked to play the pair's daughter.

Speaking from her home in Los Angeles, where she has lived since the late 70s, the star also announced she would embark on her first solo Australian tour in 20 years.

Newton-John is probably most famous for her debut film role as Sandy Olsson in the 1978 movie Grease, along with a string of hits including Let's Get Physical and the Grammy award winning Let Me Be There.

But it was the Peter Allen-penned which put Olivia on the world musical map, winning her a second Grammy in 1974.

Newton-John and Travolta weren't in the poorly-received Grease 2, released in 1982.

Newton-John said film writers were now working on reviving the 1978 role which made her famous.

''I think they've (the film studio) signed a production deal with a production company and now they're working on a storyline because I've been getting emails back and forth about ideas for the storyline,'' she said.

''There's no cast members signed on that except John and I, that I know of at the moment, and probably Didi Conn who (plays) Frenchy.''

She dismissed reports that Minogue had been approached to play the newly-created role of Sandy's daughter.

''No, no, no- one has been (approached). It (the film) is not even a story yet,'' Newton-John said.

''Who plays what and our children and all that, I have no idea, but we'll see.''

In April, she will kick-off her first Australian tour in 20 years with her own seven-piece band and a 25-piece orchestra.

She promised it would feature all her best-loved hits plus a selection from her latest album Olivia (2) which has sold nearly 100,000 copies since its release last November.

''I do oldies, going back to my first days and my country phase and the movie songs I've done and then the new ones and I kind of weave them all together,'' Newton-John said.

''It'll be interesting because I haven't worked with Australian audiences for so long. This will be really interesting for me.''

The Heartstrings tour kicks off in Brisbane on April 12 before heading to Newcastle, Sydney, Wollongong, Melbourne, Perth, Adelaide, and Canberra's Royal Theatre on April 28.

SOURCE

This is one movie I cannot wait for - I've been a fan of the franchise since I saw the first movie back in 2000, and then the "new generation" Grease with "High School Musical". What about others, how do you feel about this?

(Didn't know where to put this)

EDIT: Yes - these are from 2003, but there have been rumours resurfacing with Zac Efron playing the son.

I think it'll be good if they're getting the two main origninals involved.I think they're right when they say the second one failed because of lack of originals.It sucked and had nothing to do with the original from memory.

I'm confused Luc. Are the sources from 2003 or they're recent? :lol:

I havent seen the 2nd, many said it was crapola. I LOVE the first one though, it's one of my all time fav movies. Not this High School Musical crap these days :lol:

I'm in the minority, but I actually loved Grease 2. It was much funnier to me.

"Are you free this afternoon?"

"Yeah, I'm free every day. It's in the constitution."

"If you play an instrument. It's better to play with a group than with yourself."

:lol:

Anyway, I'm not sure how I would feel about a Grease 3 with Sandy and Danny back, without (as far as I know) any characters from Grease 2. I'd give it a look though. My favorite character was Blanche, and according to IMDB, she's still alive at 90. I wonder if that crazy school secretary will be back? :P

I know it's all about the money, but I wish they would leave those real classic movies alone. Making sequels (especially many years later) usually ends in disaster (see Grease 2) and just smothers the memory of the first one.

• 5 weeks later...

I'm in the minority, but I actually loved Grease 2. It was much funnier to me.

I love Grease 2 aswell, although the original had better songs, I do quite like some of the songs in Grease 2 and I liked the characters and storyline in it. Really love the original too :wub: Hmmm dunno what to think of there being a 3rd one. Is this really definetely true?

Archived