Ritchie finishes final scene

Guest .Teresa.

Ritchie finishes final scene

By Stephen Downie

December 14, 2007 08:35am

Article from: h14_dailytelegraph.gif

KATE Ritchie has seen it 1000 times before.

The revolving door of Channel 7 soap Home And Away has always swung wildly, so Ritchie is used to reading the names of those leaving, there in black and white in her scripts, with the words "last scene".

"But it's never been my name," an emotional Ritchie said yesterday as she finished her final scene after joining the show as an eight-year-old.

After 20 years, the Gold Logie winner last night waved goodbye to her alter ego Sally Fletcher, filming her final scene at Seven's Epping studios, watched by her family, friends and colleagues.

"On the one hand you feel this incredible sadness, on the other, it feels like the beginning of the next part of my life.

"And yet I can't deny that saying goodbye to Sally Fletcher is the hardest thing I have ever done."

Ritchie decided to quit a few days before the Logies in May.

This year's cliffhanger episode focuses on a mysterious newcomer who cryptically scrawls the name "Milco" in the sand. Milco was Sally's imaginary friend as a child.

Ritchie won't say how Sally leaves the show, with her final episode to air in April but she says viewers will be rewarded.

"It all becomes very clear as the story continues," she said.

"We will revisit a lot of the history, in particular mine.

"Knowing I'm leaving and that Sally's days are numbered on the show, it has been nice to tidy up a few things."

Next year, Ritchie embarks on a new adventure, joining FM station Nova 96.9's breakfast crew with Merrick and Rosso

• 1 month later...

Archived