Meet Your New Neighbours

Guest Dan F

Marriage, tragedy, incest, and a relationship with a 17-year-old: there is one address in Australia at which all of this happens in a week.

Where else, but Ramsay Street?

Neighbours is Australia's longest running drama series and an international sensation. But from tonight, things are set to change.

It's a part of the new beginning, but viewers might not see huge changes straight away.

Dan Bennett, Network Ten's drama executive, said tonight's episode would be the start of a journey of change.

He joins the network after working on Home and Away, where he climbed the ranks after a stint of work experience.

Now he's working on a show that began when he was five-years-old, and described it as a dream come true.

"I'm really proud to be a part of an instituion - and that's really what Neighbours is. It's great - I get to work with Harold, and what more could you want?"

Over six months, the show will truly transform.

"Monday is the start of a journey, and we're hoping people will join us.

"From Monday night the majority of story lines will be fresh - there's only a couple that overlap - so it'll be really easy for people to jump in and see what's going on."

The new changes involve a revamp of story lines, which will be punchier and more lively and new additions to the cast will include fresh faces and old favourites.

From tonight, change will be evident. Here's a sample:

* There's a new opening sequence and theme song;

* New characters arrive - Ned Parker's older brother, sister-in-law and neice, and in a few weeks, his nephew. His son, a recent arrival on set, will also become a more dominant character with an active story line.

* Tonight, two favourites wed and amongst the celebration a tragedy will overshadow the couple's happy day.

* Someone's life hangs in the balance, and more than one person could be responsible.

* Another couple will have their world rocked. They're lovers now, but could they also be brother and sister?

* A "bad influence" has a stronger connection with Ramsay Street than first thought.

* Later on, a love triangle will form between a star couple and a new male character.

* Susan will have a massive story line. A health scare will force her to do something that will leave a life hanging in the balance.

* Some familiar faces will return to Ramsay Street, including Libby - Karl and Susan's daughter. Joining her is her son Ben.

* Two old favourites, Sky and Boyd, leave the show together - but as a couple? Not long after, Pepper also leaves the street.

Mr Bennett said the crew was currently working on this year's finale, and said it would not disappoint.

"Several lives will be left in jeopardy, and it's entirely possible that not all will survive," he said.

Other subtle changes include broadcasting the show in high definition. In addition, a new music deal will see more commerical Australian music used in the show.

It means venues like the new Charlie's Bar could welcome some live Australian acts.

Mr Bennett also hinted that cameo appearances with famous personalities wasn't out of the question.

"This change is really about making it Neighbours. I'm really excited to be a part of it."

* Tonight, two favourites wed and amongst the celebration a tragedy will overshadow the couple's happy day.

* Someone's life hangs in the balance, and more than one person could be responsible.

* Susan will have a massive story line. A health scare will force her to do something that will leave a life hanging in the balance.

Mr Bennett said the crew was currently working on this year's finale, and said it would not disappoint.

"Several lives will be left in jeopardy, and it's entirely possible that not all will survive," he said.

Well that sounds familiar.....I guess that its one sure thing that wherever Dan B goes, there's a huge amount of 'lives on the line'.....

Well that sounds familiar.....I guess that its one sure thing that wherever Dan B goes, there's a huge amount of 'lives on the line'.....

Too true! They should try a calm finale, because the last batch have had lives in danger too.

^ Totally agree. Libby's exit was about as perfect as you can get - she lost the love of her life and found happiness again with her childhood sweetheart - just about the only person who could ever measure up to Drew. So are we really expected to swallow that they've split already? It's such a shame.

I like the sound of most of the changes, though. A bit too much melodrama, perhaps, but that's to be expected from Dan Bennett. Personally I'd rather have melodrama than the listless rubbish Neighbours has been producing for the past few years. I do love Rosie and Frazer, and Carmella and Ringo sounds like a fresh idea as long as they handle it sensitively. Susan's health scare should be good, and I'm very happy to finally be seeing the back of Boyd! *shudders*

Archived