Irene's lads in UK Drama

Guest Dan F

For all fans in the UK who want to see what Anthony Phelan (who played Ken Smith) is up to nowadays, he has the part of a 'Police Interviewer' in 'Murder in the Outback' to be shown on Sunday evening at 9pm on ITV1.

Since leaving H&A, Anthony has had many parts in various dramas and films, including playing the voice of 'Kaminoan Prime Minster Lama Su' in Star Wars: Attack of the Clones.

Produced by ITV and Granada International, it stars Joanne Froggatt (Corrie, See No Evil: The Moors Murders) in an adaptation of the events surrounding the murder of Peter Falconio in the Australian outback back in 2001. It tells the story from the eyes of his girlfriend Joanne Lees who faced the traumatic ordeal in which Peter disappeared, aswell as having to relive it during the trial.

The part of Peter Falconio is in fact played by Laurence Bruels, who may be remembered by long term fans of H&A as starring as Irene's nephew Nelson McFarlane back in 1995.

The drama also stars Australian actor John Wood, who won the 2006 Gold Logie for his part in Blue Heelers, and a cameo from Mike Bullen (writer of Cold Feet and Life Begins) as a TV Producer

It looks pretty good, I'll certainly be watching. :wink:

Ohh that was on over here on Ten a few weeks ago – I presumed we were getting it as an export telemovie and it had already been shown in the UK - it was really interesting as all the characters that interact with her are played in the eyes of Joanna and how she perceived them, its good you should watch.

Peter Falconio’s father is played by the actor who portrays Leah’s dad too – and the judge at the first hearing is played by Colleen’s ex-husband/Chloe’s father. They are both really small parts.

I had no idea that was ‘Nelson’ I just presumed he was British too, he had a strong accent.

There are quite a few good Aussie actors in it though – I’ve never seen the girl who plays Joanna before, but she was a really really good actor, and got the mannerisms of Joanna really spot on.

There are quite a few good Aussie actors in it though – I’ve never seen the girl who plays Joanna before, but she was a really really good actor, and got the mannerisms of Joanna really spot on.

In my TV magazine it says she's played by Joanne Froggatt, who played Zoe Tattersall, Ashley Peacock's girlfriend, in Coronation Street. But that was back in 1997/9 so, if you're not from the UK or too young, you mightn't remember her. :unsure:

I remember Zoe was a young, homeless Mum who got involved in a religious cult and I'm almost certain she died in a road accident. Maybe the story stayed in my mind because Joanne played the part really well. :)

Recently she's been in a few of these real life dramas, and has always been fantastic.

I saw 'See No Evil: The Moors Murders' a few weeks ago at Uni when the scriptwriter Neil McKay came to Uni and had a Q&A Session with us (he's the brother of our tutor) - she played the sister of Myra Hindley.

Ah yeah I’m Aussie so haven’t see her before!

Did you watch then? It’s more a courtroom drama, which I usually cant get into, but I thought this one was good as it seemed to stay true to the real-life events and didn’t sensationalise it all.

Archived