Mattie and Luc say, "Turn Off Your Lights This Saturday!&quot

Guest **Julie**

Mattie and Luc say, "Turn Off Your Lights This Saturday!"

At 7.30pm this Saturday March 31st, Sydney-based businesses and individuals are invited to turn off their lights for just one hour, Earth Hour, as a sign of their commitment to reduce global warming.

Earth Hour is just the start of a campaign that aims to reduce Sydney's greenhouse emissions by 5% in 2007. The event will demonstrate how simple actions can make the world of difference if everyone takes part. And it sends a powerful message that we care about the future of the planet!

This year's Earth Hour will happen in Sydney, but hopefully Earth Hour can grow into a global campaign. (If you live outside of Sydney, you can show your support by turning off your lights at 7.30pm local time.)

Summer Bay hotties Indiana Evans and Rhys Wakefield are enthusiastic about this small step to reducing our planet's energy consumption. "Maybe on Saturday, we'll be able to see the stars!" Indiana told us with a grin.

If Earth Hour want to reduce Greenhouse Emissions, they should get people to stop driving for a few hours. :P There is no point turning off your lights if you're leaving your appliances plugged in. They use up a hell of a lot of energy. :P

ROFFLES!

I will have as many appliances on as I can, since most suckers will have theirs off, which means, more power for me!!!

GW is all hype, and I won't do s--- until I see those scaremongers do something about it. They fly jets all over the world (biggest and worst pollutants) and Al Gore alone has 2 huge houses, no doubt using much more energy than the average household.

Hoooo!!! sounds like fun! They need to do something like that over here in the UK. Even if people dont wanna do it at least it will give people something to moan about... Think about the star light awsome thing to see! x Louise x

Did this work out over there?

It wasn't meant to make a difference to anything, I think the main idea for it was to show that people want the government to put in place procedures to reduce greenhouse gasses.

Plus, even if we do make a difference, volcanoes put out soo much crap each time they erupt, so its not like our minimal effort to conserve power will do much.

We turned our off.

But I honestly don't see how it could have made that much differance.

Actually it did:

MORE than half of Sydneysiders - as many as 2.2 million - switched off their lights to celebrate Earth Hour on Saturday night, a poll has found.

No one saw this avalanche of support coming - only 65,000 households had pledged to support the event.

"It gives you a lot of hope about humanity," said Andy Ridley, a spokesman for the organiser, WWF.

In the city centre alone energy consumption fell 10.2 per cent between 7.30pm and 8.30pm, saving 24.86 tonnes of carbon dioxide from being released into the air.

Central Sydney's mighty effort is the equivalent of taking 48,613 cars off the road for one hour

The 10.2 per cent fall in CBD energy consumption was more than double the expectations of Energy Australia. Source: SMH.com.au

That is actually quite big for only one hour..... and especially since Australia is one of the worst culprits.

Archived