Charlie McKinnon/Matt Levett

Guest Perry

• Replies 946
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Heyee... guess what I remembered? This thing I want to write about Charlie, I actually already wrote a version aaaages ago. Back when Charlie was still here in Australia :blink:. I'm reworking it though, so this bit that I found doesn't actually appear anymore. It's only a scene, so I don't really want to post it as a fic, but... I could post it in here if anyone's interested?

Hehe, okay. I was starting to think you didn't want me to :unsure:

It's actually 2 scenes. And some real-life previouslies. I seem to have written it in script form, so I guess you'll have to use your imagination on the "acting." It's not the best, but it's a start :P

Here we go...

PREVIOUSLY

· Charlie’s grandmother dies. He is crying, distraught, as Kim tries to comfort him. Rachael looks on warily.

· Rachael tells Kim that it was a morphine overdose that killed Mrs McKinnon. She thinks Charlie is responsible.

HOSPITAL

Rachael is trying to convince Kim of her theory.

Rachael: “I know this is hard to believe, but I administered the original dosage myself - I disposed of the syringe. Charlie was the only person in the room with us. He’s the only one that could have gotten the needle out and given his grandmother what was left of the morphine.”

Kim: “Why was there that much in there in the first place? You must have known it’d be lethal.”

Rachael: “I was in a hurry. There’d just been an accident; there were patients that needed immediate attention. I didn’t bother to measure how much morphine I took out of the bottle, it only mattered what I put into Mrs McKinnon – five milligrams.”

Kim: “But you just said you were in a hurry, how can you be sure you didn’t make a mistake?”

Rachael: “Because that kind of mistake would have cost a person her life. Don’t you think I’m a little more responsible than that?”

Kim: “You realise that you’re accusing Charlie of murder? His own grandmother – why would he do it?”

Rachael: “I don’t know…”

Kim: “If it was an accident – ”

Rachael: “I don’t think it was.”

Kim: “If it was, people would understand. I would understand.”

Rachael: “You still think I did this, don’t you?”

Kim: “I didn’t say that.”

Rachael: “You didn’t have to.”

Rachael leaves in disgust. Charlie, who has been listening in on the conversation, takes the opportunity to talk to Kim alone.

Charlie: “What’s up?”

Kim: “Nothing. How are you? Are you okay?”

Charlie: “I’m…I don’t know. Everything’s feeling a bit unreal at the moment. Are you and Rachael fighting?”

Kim: “No.”

Charlie: “Is it about Gran? I know it was an accident, Kim. You’ll tell Rachael I don’t blame her, won’t you? I shouldn’t have yelled at her before. I know she was just trying to make Gran feel better. She was just so distracted – an ambulance had just come in…”

Kim: “Yeah, Rachael said that. She also said that she gave your Gran the right dosage. Do you remember her doing it? Did you see what was left in the syringe?”

Charlie: “There wasn’t anything left. I thought she meant to give Gran all of it, that’s why I didn’t say anything or try to stop her. Maybe if I had…”

Kim: “It’s not your job to know what a patient needs, Charlie. You’re not a doctor. I’m really sorry about all this.”

Kim avoids Charlie’s eyes, ashamed for what his girlfriend has done. Charlie sees this, but doesn’t want Kim to feel bad.

Charlie: “Maybe we could go get a drink? Come on, it’ll make us feel better.”

Kim smiles, appreciative of the offer.

NOAH’S

Martha sits by the lounge with her hand on Tasha’s stomach. The girls giggle back and forth with each other. Robbie, who is beside Tash, smiles along but is clearly not as happy as they are.

Martha: “I totally just felt it kick!”

Tasha: “I know, it started last night.”

Martha: “It feels so weird!”

Tasha: “Yeah, try feeling it from the inside!”

Martha: “Rob, have you felt it?”

Robbie: “Yeah, it’s…weird.”

Tasha: “He’s grumpy because I woke him up at like 2am because of it.”

Robbie: “Mmm, and then we were too excited to go back to sleep.”

Martha: “Ah well, how many times do you get to feel your child moving for the first time?”

Martha’s memory flashes with the realization that it’s not in fact Robbie’s child, it’s Jonah’s. She and Robbie exchange an awkward glance, but both keep smiling for Tasha’s sake – she has remained oblivious, still focused on her own belly and the baby within.

Alf watches his granddaughter from behind the bar.

Alf: “Martha, are you actually gonna serve some customers or are ya just gonna be gas-baggin’ to Robbie and Tasha all day?”

Martha: “What? They’re customers…”

She looks at the half-empty cups of juice on the table in front of Robbie and Tash.

Alf: “Yeah, but once they’ve paid you don’t have to sit there and make sure they drink the stuff. Come on, back here.”

Martha rolls her eyes and heads to the bar. She almost runs into Kim and Charlie as they enter, but they all stop in time to avoid a collision.

Martha: “Ooh, sorry.”

She sidesteps them and goes behind the bar.

Martha: “What can I get you?”

Kim (to Charlie): “I probably should have mentioned that this place doesn’t serve alcohol during the day.”

Charlie: “That’s okay. I like juice.” (To Martha) “Do you have pineapple?”

Kim: “Ah come on Charlie, live a little! Two pineapple and mango, thanks Martha.”

Martha: “I’ll have to check on those ingredients, they’re pretty exotic… Here we go.” (She mixes and serves the drinks.) “Enjoy!”

Charlie: “Thanks.”

Kim goes to pay, but Charlie stops him.

Charlie: “No, I’ll get it.”

Kim: “It’s cool, I’ve got employee discount.”

Martha: “You know, strictly speaking, that doesn’t extend to your friends.”

Kim: “Well Charlie’s really more like family, right Charlie?”

Charlie: “Yeah…like brothers.”

Charlie smiles adoringly at Kim as he pays the reduced amount, not understanding Kim’s sarcasm. Kim is already headed over to Tasha and Robbie. Charlie follows and sits down in a chair next to Kim’s. Kim notices the way that Tasha is preoccupied with her stomach, patting it gently and grinning down at it.

Kim: “What’s going on over here?”

Robbie: “Nothing. Just the alien in Tasha’s stomach getting ready to burst out.”

Tasha: “Robbie…”

Robbie: “I’m kidding! Jeez, you guys never appreciate a good sci-fi reference.”

Kim: “That’s because we have lives, Rob.”

Charlie: “Alien was scary.”

They nod politely to acknowledge Charlie’s contribution, then resume unintentionally ignoring him.

Kim: So Tash, little Kim’s starting to move around down there?”

Tash: “What…?”

Robbie: “I’m not sure, but I think we should be offended. And disturbed.”

Kim: “The baby, I assume you’re naming it after me? I am your best friend – both of you – and Kim’s such a versatile name. You could use it for a boy or a girl.”

Robbie: “Hm, it better be a girl. We wouldn’t want to confuse the poor kid.”

Kim: “Well you’d be able to relate better to a girl anyway.”

Kim waits for Robbie to react to his joke, but Robbie just keeps forcing himself to smile through it. Robbie looks down to pick up his cup and what remains of his juice. Kim notes Robbie’s avoidance and senses that he’s not as happy as he’s pretending to be. Kim watches Robbie finish his juice, and then immediately sculls his own, slamming the empty cup onto the table.

Kim: “Looks like I need another one.”

Tasha: “Already?”

Kim: “I was thirsty. So was Rob, by the looks of it. You coming to the bar, mate?”

Robbie: “Yeah…alright.” (To Tash) “Same as before?”

Tash nods. Robbie gets up and follows Kim to the bar.

Martha: “What would you like?”

Kim: “Ah, a couple of minutes to decide, actually.”

Martha leaves them to it. Robbie is confused.

Robbie: “I thought you knew what you wanted?”

Kim: “Yeah…Rob, are you okay?”

Robbie: “Why wouldn’t I be?”

Kim: “It can’t be easy, trying to get excited about a kid that’s not yours.”

Robbie: “Tash is my wife. Her baby is my baby. I am excited.”

Kim: “Alright, but you know you can talk to me if…”

Robbie: “I’m fine. Martha!”

Martha: “Finally made up your mind?”

Robbie: “Yeah, same as before thanks.”

Martha: “Kim?”

Kim: “Yeah, same.”

Martha: “Hm, I can see why that took so long to decide.”

Kim and Robbie are still at the bar. Charlie is staring at Tasha’s hand as it moves across the baby. Tasha sees him watching her curiously.

Tash: “Do you want to touch it?”

Charlie: “Are you sure?”

Tasha nods. Charlie is excited that she is inviting him behave like her other friends.

Charlie: “Your so warm.”

Tash: “I guess having two heartbeats makes for pretty good circulation.”

Charlie: “Yeah. Hey, I think it kicked me!”

Tash: “Aw, I’m sure he didn’t mean to.”

Charlie: “He? Do you know…?”

Tash: “Nah, I just say that sometimes. Sometimes I say she. ‘It’ gets a bit impersonal after a while.”

Charlie: “You should name him Kim. Kim’s a good name.”

Tash: “Yeah, maybe.”

You can if you believe you can.

I have an old draft of the thing I'm reworking, but that's top secret. I've already said too much :ph34r:

The room was empty. The only feature was a thin, high window that let in a ray of clouded light, barely enough to see by.

“This is what you wanted me to see?” Kim asked, unimpressed. He didn’t understand why Charlie had dragged him all the way out here. “This is what was so important it couldn’t wait?” He laughed, thinking that Charlie was playing some kind of joke on him, but Charlie’s face remained straight, serious.

“Go in,” said Charlie.

Kim hesitated, not wanting to be made more foolish, but the nervous tension he felt from Charlie caused him to think again. Maybe there was something in this room that he wasn’t seeing.

(:unsure:)

Archived