Fanfiction Discussion & Inspiration

Guest aejdude

I have a somewhat odd, rather biased topic for discussion.

Do J&M fans mainly come on here to read J&M fics? And do M&L fans come on here mainly to read M&L fics? And so on and so forth... what attracts you to a fic? Is it the pairing, the length of the fic, the style of writing, or the author? Or something I haven't mentioned. Also do you read fics and don't review? If so, why is that?

I myself, know that I generally cannot stomach most fics. I like a healthy amount of fluff and angst, and feel that any JM fics won't have this. In saying that, I know that if given the shot, I could enjoy any number of JM fics because I know some of the authors write really well. So maybe I'm biased against JM themselves, which is wrong of me because I'm always about the fan fictions and people manipulating the character to make them their own... so technically the characters shouldn't turn me off a fic.

I'm rambling now. I'll go back to the original topic, of what draws me to a fic.

Pairings are important... as I rambled about above, but soon in the future I may broaden that. I'm fussy about style... I think. I fix things in my head as I'm reading, even when I re-read my own stories, and I think it has to have a certain flow which I enjoy. The length does not bother me, as I'm open to read anything from 100 words to 100000 words, as long as its got a good enough quality.

Just so everyone knows, I'm being very general about fan fics now, not just the ones on this board, but the ones I've read over the years.

Anyone else have any opinions about the topic?

Firstly, I'll admit I do mainly read Jack and Martha fics, but I also try to read others. I love Jack and Martha, but I tend to find that most of there fics either involve them being all lovey dovey, some form of jelous ex, or them hating each other (I'm one of the people who wrte the lovey dovey ones.

I also agree that pairings are important. This is probably what attracts most readers, I also think you should experiment (I know you like Hessie for instance) because that way your exploring all alternatives.

Whilst I do love reading the lovey dovey fics, I've recently discovered my love for fics that aren't always lovey dover. Take, for example, Aarons 'Forever Trapped' I love it. It was so...what's the word? gripping. I read it because before he posted the chapters he gave a summary of what it would be about, so I knew if I would be interested.

I'm trying to write one that doesn't involve Jack and Martha (At least, not as the main characters) it's just....difficult for me.

OK, Now I'm rambling lol. :P

Yay! :D My fic got a mention hehe. :P Glad you like it. :)

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If I can picture the scene in my head and truly hear the characters saying the words then I'm on to a winner. When I first started writing I never got this but since last year, thanks to muses, this is one thing that has to happen. If I write something and I don't see and hear it in my head then I throw it away and create a new scenario. Anyone else get this?

I understand completely. Unfortunately, relying on the visuals so much leads me to be very wordy, and so my fics get really long, and then I get impatient and try to make things go faster, which inevitably leads to writers block when I can't get it to work visually. So then I have to go back to making it wordy, and then I get impatient... It's a vicious and annoying cycle :P

I love fics that don't fall back on relationships and romance. If a fic starts out with romance then that is fine but if it doesn't and that ends up become the core of the fic then I'm gone.

I'm very into relationships. I like exploring how people interact with each other, whether it be romance or friends and family. Romance can be nice sometimes, but I agree, it can't be all the time to hold much interest for me.

Although if there's a lot of angst in it, romance can keep me entertained to no end.

The whole reason I started writing H&A fics is because I couldn't find any good Noah/Kit fics or slash fics.

Word. I found one or two Robbie/Kim fics early on, but in the end I realised that if you want something done, you've got to do it yourself. Since I've started ficcing, I've become aware of other people writing H&A slash - I'm not the only one :o!

Reading what people have done in their fics with different characters is inspiring - it makes me want to branch out into telling other kinds of stories. :)

One of the best on-going fics I've read here is "Ric Versus the Bay" by Liam. Awesome.

I totally agree about Liams fic Emmasi but yours is up there to as one of my favourites.

I generally read ones by authors I know write well. But I do try and give others a try to see if I am missing out on anything and the M/L pairing will always attract me.

Oh and aejdude thanks for mentioning This is me but who am I?

I'm tempted to post an old Noah/Kit fic I wrote but not sure. I thought I had posted it on here but I couldn't find it.

A couple of my old ones have disappeared. I think there must be a time limit for how long inactive threads stay up or something. That, or my fics weren't appreciated :(

"This is me but who am I" is one of the fics that I'm looking forward to getting around to reading. It's a great title :D

Archived