Always Comes Back To You…

Guest Danifan

Chapter 24

Will’s P.O.V.

‘What’s happened? Where’s she going?’ Irene asked having just watched Dani shoot out of the house in tears.

‘I’ve screwed up’ I snapped at her, I was on edge and stormed back to my room. I couldn’t believe I’d been so stupid. Helping Gypsy was a betrayal I know but how could I convince Dani of that, she always thought I put Gypsy before her and now I’d done it again only this time I’d no other choice.

‘Knock, knock only me. Dinner’s nearly ready if you want some’ Irene said with a look I’d seen hundreds of times before meaning we were going to talk whether I wanted to or not.

‘I’m not really hungry’ I told her, secretly hoping she’d pry into what the problem is.

‘Right then come on me laddo, what’s happened between you and Dani, because she looked devastated and you don’t look much better’ she said getting straight to the point as she always did.

‘Something’s happened’ I said trying to find the right words.

‘I kinda guessed that part love with the shouting and the storming out’ she said kindly but with a dry wit.

‘It doesn’t matter. I’m going to call her, I need to speak to her about it’ I said getting frustrated at not knowing where this left us relationship wise.

‘About what love. Tell me’ she said sympathetically.

‘I’ve done something stupid again and now I think I’ve lost her for good. She’ll never forgive me, not again, and I don’t blame her. I mean how many second chances can I blow? I could kill Gypsy’

‘Gypsy, why doesn’t it surprise me that little witch is at the centre of all of this’ Irene said sarcastically. ‘Don’t tell me you and her are back on’

‘What? No way. I love Dani. It’s just that…She blackmailed me into helping her get out of Summer Bay and now if the police do find her I’m in big trouble as well. So basically either way I lose Dani and she’s won again’ I told her honestly, while clutching my mobile hoping she’d ring.

‘What possessed you to help her, you know what a nasty piece of work she is, I mean she stabbed your fiancée because she’s jealous and just plain cruel’ she said obviously a bit shocked.

‘I thought it was for the best. She threatened to finish the job on Dani if I didn’t help her and I just wanted her as far away from us as possible. I thought if she left town there would be no chance of her coming back without being arrested. I was desperate’ I said clutching my mobile even tighter, willing it to ring.

‘Did you explain this to Dani?’ Irene asked.

‘I didn’t have chance to. In her mind I put protecting Gypsy above protecting her and I don’t think she’s ever going to forgive me for that’ I said losing almost all hope I could salvage our relationship.

‘She’ll come round. She’s been through a lot and she’s a strong girl, and I know for a fact that she loves you so much, why else would anyone have put up with Gypsy and her stalking for so long? She said with a smile.

‘You Think? I mean I know Dani and right now with Kirsty and Kane and me and Gypsy and everything else I don’t think she will. She feels alone because everyone she loves has let her down especially me. I’ve got no chance of making it up to her if I can’t speak to her. I’m going to find her’

‘Will just wait love. She needs space right now. If you push this it could do more harm than good. She’s fragile at the moment’ Irene told me.

‘I know but I need to explain to her, to tell her how much I love her. I need her to know I only did it to protect her. I need to know where she is’ I said calming down but still anxious as to where she was and how she felt.

‘Leave her a message on her phone. But give her space or she’ll just want to be further and further away from you. Nothing you say right now is going to make much of a difference to how she’s feeling. Leave her a message and sit tight until she gets in touch. It’s all you can do for now’ she said, giving all her words of wisdom. She got up and left me on my own. In my mind I debated with myself whether to follow Irene’s advice or to go and find her and explain everything. I knew Irene was right and I had to let Dani forgive me in her own time but the waiting just seemed too much.

I called her mobile but got her voicemail. I hesitated not knowing what to say:

‘Dani, it’s me. We need to talk. Just give me five minutes to explain everything. I hope you’re alright. Just call me to let me know your ok. I love you’

That was it. I’d made the call and now I had to hope and pray she’d get in touch and come back to me. I knew waiting was going to be a killer, and decided to try and get some sleep, it was going to be one of the longest nights of my life.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chapter 25

Dani’s P.O.V.

The bus journey was long and lonely. I felt alone, more alone than I’d ever felt before. It was a horrible feeling. I kept getting sympathetic looks from an old couple from across the aisle. That just made me feel worse, like I was some sort of show for people to gawp at. I don’t suppose it helped my case that my face was tearstained and my mascara had run a bit making me look like a panda.

As we pulled up and I got off the bus the old couple took each other by the hand and merrily walked off in the opposite direction. It was sweet to see two people so in love. Made me feel a bit envious. I walked for what seemed like hours, just thinking how I was going to sort the situation back home without having to sacrifice everything so everyone else could be happy and I could be miserable. I even considered not going back at all. My phone rang numerous times, mainly Mom and Will. I didn’t want to speak to them, not yet anyway, so I turned my phone off. I approached the little apartment to find her already waiting with a gentle smile and open arms. Such a warm welcome was appreciated. I knew if I could count on anyone it’d be Brodie. We hugged and for the first time that evening I felt better in myself.

‘I’m so glad you came. Your Mom rang and told me what happened’ she said helping me in the house with my suitcase.

‘You haven’t heard the best bit yet’ I told her cryptically. She looked confused. ‘well it seems Kirsty wasn’t the only one who thought protecting someone who tried to kill me was a good idea’

‘How do you mean?’ she asked still confused.

‘Will helped Gypsy escape the police and get out of town’

‘You’re kidding. Has he gone mad? She tried to kill you’

‘Who knows? So I just had to get away from them all, you don’t mind me dumping myself on you? I can book into a hotel if you and Alex are…’

‘No it’s fine. I’m glad you’re here I need the company. Alex is on the opposite side of town doing some work for his uncle so I’m on my own for the night and I hate being here on my own. It feels creepy’ she told me.

We put on a DVD and sat in our pyjamas like we had done so many times before and talked through our problems. Mine trumped hers obviously.

‘Has he called’ she asked looking at my phone.

‘Loads of times. I turned it off.’ I said quite bluntly.

‘Why? He might be able to explain, you never know’ she said irritatingly understanding.

‘Oh yeah. Gypsy tried to kill you; sorry about that but you just need to get over it, after all what’s a little stabbing between friends and oh yeah you don’t mind if she doesn’t go to prison do you as the facilities aren’t quite up to her standards’ I said sarcastically.

‘So what you’re going to give up on him. I mean you have fought so hard to get to where you are now and you and Will have been through so much to be together again, it seems a shame to let Gypsy Nash ruin things again.’ She said. I knew deep down she was right but I didn’t want to listen to that little voice, not at the moment anyway.

‘Whose side are you on? You’re not supposed to understand his point of view you’re supposed to slag him off and make me feel better’ I said jokingly.

‘Oh ok, he’s a complete rat and should be locked up with his mad ex wife and her little brat’ she said quite sarcastically.

‘Thank you. I’m glad you agree with me’ I said with a little laugh.

Brodie turned my phone back on. Two missed calls from Mom and a voicemail message and six missed calls from Will were waiting.

‘He obviously cares. Look Dani I know what he’s done is bad, terrible even but did you ever think maybe he did it for you and not for her. After everything she’s done it makes no sense for him to want to protect her, but it does make sense that he’d want to protect you’ she said quite seriously.

‘Unless he’s still in love with her’ I said sadly.

‘You know that’s not true. He’s done something stupid but doesn’t that just show how far he’s wiling to go to protect you. He’d risk his life and his freedom for you, if he’s not in love with you then why would he bother doing that?’ she said making a lot of sense.

‘But if I forgive him, what does that say to Kirsty. She’s done the same thing and I’m not sure I can forgive her’

‘Yeah well Will was doing it to protect you and Kirsty; well she was doing it to protect him and herself. They aren’t the same situation. Will’s done something for you because he loves you, Kirsty’s done something to help herself as usual and guilt tripping you is an easy way of getting what she wants. She’s your sister and she’s deliberately betrayed you. So much for blood being thicker than water’ she said sounding like a counsellor. Two years living with Shelley Sutherland must have worn off.

‘Yeah well blood may be thicker than water but Kirsty’s thicker than both’ I said feeling much better having talked to someone not so close to the situation.

‘Forgive her when it suits you and not a minute before, but make things up with Will for your own sake as much as his. He does love you’

‘I know he does, I suppose I just needed someone else to say it’

‘I’m going to go to bed. Call him’ she said as we hugged and shuffled off the sofa to her room.

I hesitated for a couple of minutes, not sure what to say to him but before I knew it I’d rung his number.

‘Dani, thank god. Where are you? Are you Ok?’ he said immediately.

‘I’m at Brodie’s I just needed time to think and sort things out in my head’

‘I understand that, but if you give me five minutes I can explain everything properly. Please Dan I need to see you’

‘I’ll be home tomorrow. I’ll come and see you and we talk about things’

‘I only did it to protect you, you do believe me don’t you? He said

‘Yeah I do’

‘Really? Well then we can get over this. I need to see you’

‘I suppose we can’

‘Well that’s good because I’m outside Brodie’s right now.’

‘What are you serious?’

‘Come to the door and you’ll see’

I rushed straight for the door and opened it and there he was, phone in hand and a cute smile

‘I told you I needed to see you’ he said still talking into his phone

‘How did you know where I’d be?’ I said still talking to him in the phone while we were face to face.

‘Because I know you better than you know yourself’

My heart was overwhelmed. It was true.

‘I love you Dani’ he said taking my hand ‘and I’ll do anything to prove that to you’

‘I love you too, and I think you’ve proven how much you love me’ I said slowly moving in for a kiss.

‘Does this mean I’m not dumped and you still want to be Mrs Smith?’

‘Er, no thank you I’ve told you before’ I said pulling away. He looked confused. ‘It’s Mrs Sutherland Smith’ I laughed. He looked relieved and we kissed on the doorstep. It had taken a bit of perspective to realise that Will is the one and he’ll always put me first. The terrible day had redeemed itself just before midnight to become quite a good one.

Chapter 26

The drive back to Summer Bay seemed longer somehow. Although we we’re both exhausted after talking all night neither of us could go to sleep on the bus. We we’re sat in our little pair cuddled up warm just sat in silence enjoying being with each other. Funnily enough the old couple who had given me such sympathetic looks on the way to Brodie’s were once again opposite me this time with warm smiles and even a little wink from the old man. They could obviously see the difference being with Will and not being with Will have made.

The journey ended as we pulled up to our stop. The morning sunlight was sharp but highlighted the great view of the Bay.

‘Home sweet home’ I said looking over the horizon as we stepped off the bus hand in hand.

‘Are you sure you’re ready for this?’ Will asked.

‘I think I should be asking you that, after all it’s not me my dad’s going to want words with’ I told him trying to wind him up.

‘Oh my god, he’s going to kill me isn’t he?’ he said semi serious.

‘I think you’ve got the wrong idea about my dad. He’s a big softie really.’ I told him pulling him closer.

‘Yeah maybe to you, but I’m the one that’s screwed up big time. He’s going to rip out my heart with his bare hands’ he said jokingly.

‘Don’t worry baby I’ll protect you from my big, bad, angry daddy’ I said in a childish voice puling him in for a kiss.

‘Now that sounds good’ he said slowly kissing me back.

We walked all the way home. Will was anxious about facing my family. I was anxious about facing my family.

‘Have you decided what to do about Kirsty?’ he asked.

‘I think I’ll see how it goes, then I’ll decide what I want to do about her, I mean despite everything she’s still my sister and I love her, I’m just not sure I can forgive her for doing this to me. Not again.’

‘You forgave me for everything I put you through’ he said looking a bit confused by my logic.

‘I understand what you did. You did it to protect me and I love that you’d go to those lengths to do that. She’s done all this with Kane to help him, and herself, and then just sat back and whined that we’re ruining her life by not letting her be happy. She hasn’t given us, her family, any consideration whatsoever and yet she expects us to consider everything from her point of view and accept him into our family like he’s one of us when he isn’t and he never will be’

‘And you think she’ll understand that?’

‘God no. Kirsty’s too self obsessed to see past her own nose. She’ll sulk none stop and probably announce her life is over and all those amateur dramatics she tries to guilt trip us. You might not have noticed but us Sutherland girls are quite the little drama queens’

‘Oh I’ve noticed’

‘Oi’

‘But I still love you despite of it’

‘That’s better’ I said as we stopped outside the house and kissed.

‘Dani your back, thank god. I knew you wouldn’t stay away’ I heard Mom say as she came out of the house giving Will and I a bit of a surprise. Dad soon followed.

‘Well, well, well. If it isn’t Gypsy’s little helper’ he said angrily.

‘Dad, Will’s explained and...’

‘We need to talk young man. Alone!’ he said staring directly at Will.

‘Dad.’ I said trying to calm him down

‘Dani its fine. He’s right, I’ll see you in a bit’ Will said kissing me and following nervously behind my dad for a man to man chat.

‘Mom’ I said worried about what my dad was likely to say or do to my fiancé.

‘It’ll be alright. You know your father. Overprotective to the extreme but he’s only doing it because he cares’ she said reassuringly rubbing my arm. ‘We have some news actually, about Kane…’

‘What sort of news’ I asked still more worried about Will and Dad’s little ‘chat’ than anything else.

‘Well his bail hearing is on Friday but they don’t expect it to be granted not unless he has a few wealthy friends stashed away somewhere’

‘That’s good’ I said with a weak smile.

‘Come inside and stop worrying. It’s just your father being melodramatic. Come inside and tell me what’s happened with Will and Gypsy. All we’ve heard is a vague explanation from Nick and he didn’t go into many details.’ She said leading me inside.

I knew she was right. Dad was angry but not unreasonable and Will was no pushover. At least it explained where my Jade and Kirsty got our drama queen gene from if nothing else.

Chapter 27

‘Mom, they’ve been ages. You don’t think dad’s done something stupid do you?’ I asked still worried about my dad’s little ‘chat’.

‘Like what murdered him and buried him under Colleen’s mobile home’ Mom said sarcastically. Don’t you just hate it when they try to be funny?

‘Mom I’m serious. Dad looked ready to kill and he’s like a giant on platforms. He could probably kill him with just one finger’ I said to her. She obviously wasn’t as worried as me.

‘Whereas Will’s a little weed is he?’ she argued. I hate it when she’s right with all her mothering logic. ‘And don’t you think your dad has a right to be worried? He doesn’t want you getting hurt again, neither of us do’.

‘I guess but he really did do this to protect me and he really does love me, I know that’ I told her honestly.

‘We like Will and we can see he makes you happy. Your Dad just likes to be convinced of that once in a while. When have you ever known your father to get violent’ she said coyly sipping her tea.

‘Err how about that time he punched that dirty old letch who tried it on with me at the milk bar’ I said back. I love my logic.

‘Yes well you were only fifteen and he was doing a lot more than trying it on and your father, well he was protecting you’ she tried in vain to reason.

‘Mom the man looked about 65 and had a walking stick; if he’d tried anything else I would have beaten him with it. And there was that time he threatened that father at school sports day because his son tripped me up’

‘Again he was being protective’

‘Mom we were five’

‘Ok ok. So your father’s hot headed we’ll agree on that but that’s our job. We know Will’s decent but as parent’s we naturally don’t trust your judgement. And we definitely don’t trust your judge of character’ she said as a joke still trying to be funny.

‘Hey, I’m a really good judge of character. I had Angie Russell pegged the minute I saw the old witch’

‘We just want reassurance that he will look after you the way you deserve. We don’t want you settling for second best again’

‘Mom if I’d stayed with Josh I’d have settled for second best. Will’s the right guy for me and he will put me first, this if anything proves that.’

‘Well then I guess that’s all that really matters’ she said understandingly.

After another ten minutes had passed I was starting to get really anxious. Will and dad had been having their chat for a good hour and a half. My dad obviously needed a lot of convincing. Just when I’d lost all patience they strolled in.

‘Is everything ok?’ I asked dad.

‘Well I’ve accepted his explanation and I can see that what he did he did for you and not for her, but you ever hurt her and your going to wish you’d skipped town with her’

‘I won’t Mr Sutherland and thanks for hearing me out’ Will said. I couldn’t help but smile and give him a big hug.

‘We’ll leave you two lovebirds to talk shall we?’ Mom said pointing Dad out of the room.

‘For a moment there I thought he was going to kill me’ Will laughed.

‘Me too’ I told him

‘But now that I finally have him back onside and this mess looks a lot closer to being tidied up, I think it’s about time me and my beautiful fiancée started to talk about our big day’ Will said sweetly kissing me in between sentences.

‘That would be lovely. How about tonight. I’ll cook’ I said, surprising both him and me.

‘You? Cooking?’ he said sarcastically

‘Yes me. I can cook. When I want too. For special people only you understand?’ I told him coyly holding his hands.

‘Well then I can’t wait. Just you, me and nice food and a long evening talking about our future sounds just perfect’ he said smiling making his way to the door.

‘I’ll see you at van nine at about seven then gorgeous’ I said still blissfully smiling. He kissed me one more time and I closed the door behind him.

My smile faded immediately. How could I be so stupid as to offer to cook someone I love a romantic meal. I mean me. You’d have more chance of Colleen becoming a fashion icon than me producing something editable. I needed help and I needed it quick.

• 2 weeks later...

Chapter 28

I officially take back anything bad I may have said (or thought) about my wonderful mother. The meal she prepared for my romantic evening with Will was just perfect (and the dessert looked even better). She must be very disappointed that none of her daughters seem to take after her in the kitchen. Will was so going to know I didn’t cook this but at that moment I didn’t really care.

After what seemed like hours picking out the right dress (it has to be the right amount of sexy and comfortable, without looking like I’ve tried too hard to impress), the mood had been set in the caravan, the food was ready and as if by magic my fiancé was on time.

‘Wow, you look amazing’ he said presenting me with a kiss and a red rose at the door.

‘Thanks, you don’t look to bad yourself’ I said kissing him again.

‘Well I try my best’ he said. He looked surprised as he saw the meal on the table.

‘You like’ I said playfully.

‘It looks great You did this?’ he said

‘Well…no. Not really’ I told him coyly.

‘Not really?’ he asked not even the least bit surprised.

‘OK not at all. Mom did it all. Apparently me helping would only have slowed her down’ I told him.

‘Well it’s still very sweet’ he said kissing me again.

‘It comes in handy to have mother who’s a goddess in the kitchen’ I said mischievously.

‘Well you can tell your Mom she has a goddess for a daughter too’ he said quite sweetly but obviously not serious.

‘Thank you, but I think she already knows how wonderful I am but I guess it wouldn’t hurt for her to hear it again’ I said jokingly leading him to the table to eat our fine meal.

The meal was gorgeous. Will and I didn’t have to say much through dinner, we were comfortable with each other and the silences weren’t awkward or embarrassing. We held hands across the table. We didn’t need to impress each other; we knew each other too well.

‘Well this night seems to have gone better than our last one’ he said after our meal as we cuddled up on the bed in the caravan.

‘It’s been lovely just getting to spend some time together alone without any dramas or interruptions’ I told him as we kissed passionately.

‘I was thinking, maybe we should take a break somewhere, just get away from here for a while’ Will suggested. The idea of a holiday was always going to go down well with me.

‘Really? That would be great. Just lots of rest, relaxation and being together. It sounds like bliss’ I said cuddling him even more.

‘Well I was thinking just you and me in a little cabin in the middle of nowhere. No interruptions, no dramas and just days and days to ourselves. How does that sound?’ he said with a little smile.

‘Sounds perfect. We should do it soon’ I said already drifting off to my own little relaxed paradise in my head.

‘I’ll start looking around tomorrow’ Will said

‘That soon?’ I said a little surprised but pleased at the same time with the enthusiasm.

‘Why not? We deserve a break and I just want you all to myself for a few days’ Will said kissing my forehead.

‘Well when you put it like that, how can I resist’ I said cheerfully lying in his arms and just enjoying the peace and tranquillity.

We must have dozed off as the next thing I remember is being woken up by the flashing of red and blue lights outside.

‘Will. Will, wake up. Something’s going on outside’ I said still a little sleepy.

‘What?’ Will said still half asleep himself

‘Come on we have to go’ I told him trying to wake him up properly.

‘Alright, alright I’m coming’ he eventually got up after I’d tickled and shook him a bit.

We quickly put our shoes back on and straightened ourselves out before leaving the caravan to find out what was happening. It was still quite dark. There was a police car parked outside our house with the lights still flashing. I looked worriedly at Will and he looked the same. I knew inside their visit wasn’t going to be entirely good news.

Archived