Always Comes Back To You…

Guest Danifan

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't believe Gypsy had the gall to ask Will to help her get out of town... she is seriously mental. Great writing though! The last paragraph was really good. It's so nice how Will is so sweet and caring. Update soon!

Chapter 17

I stayed the whole night at her bedside. Rhys and Shelley had reluctantly left their little girl in the capable hands of the doctors to get some rest and strength in the hope tomorrow she would wake up permanently. I couldn’t bear to leave just in case for a split second she regained consciousness and needed me. The silence of the hospital that night was eerie, like time had stood still. The monotonous sounds of the life support machine helping Dani breath were the only things to make any sound.

‘Come on Dan, we need you to wake up’ I said quite a few times throughout the night, hoping somehow she’d just react like unconscious people do in movies. ‘I need you to wake up’.

I knew that one brief moment of consciousness was a good sign but that she was still critic. She’d lost a lot of blood and it was now up to Dani to fight this.

‘Do you remember the first time we met, when you begged me and Hayley for money to use the phone to phone your boyfriend in the city? I knew then that you were special. And all that time we wasted playing games. I can’t believe I was ever that stupid. As if there could have been anyone else I’d want to be with’. The emotion of the situation was suffocating. Every beep of the machine was like a little taunt from Gypsy that she’d nearly succeeded in taking Dani away from me once again, this time with no second chances.

I must have drifted off as the next thing I knew Rhys, Shelley and the girls had arrived.

‘Will. Will love, why don’t you go home yeah and get a proper rest.’ Shelley whispered slowly waking me up.

‘I can’t. Dani needs me’

‘Dani has her family here now’ Rhys said coldly.

‘We’ll call if there’s any change. You’ll be no use to Dani if you collapse from exhaustion will you?’ Shelley said warmly giving Rhys an icy glare.

‘Yeah… alright then… but you will call if anything…you know…’

‘I promise’ Shelley said

‘I’ll be back later’ I whispered to Dani kissing her forehead and getting up and heading for the door. I walked out and pulled the door to, not quite shutting it, still unsure whether leaving her for any length of time was a good idea. I heard the Sutherlands talking.

‘Rhys you didn’t have to be so blunt with him’ Shelley said.

‘Why not if it wasn’t for him our daughter would not be on the critical list right now. She’d be out there living her life like all the other teenage girls’ Rhys said back

‘You can’t blame Will for Gypsy’s behaviour’ Kirsty added.

‘Oh really imagine my shock that you’d stick up for him. This wouldn’t have anything to do with trying to get Kane off the hook with the police would it’ he snapped.

‘No, because Kane isn’t a vicious person. He made a mistake and Dani will realise that if she wakes up’ she said

‘What do you mean if? Your sister is going to wake up and when she does that little rat isn’t going to know what’s hit him when I catch up to him’ Rhys said obviously annoyed with Kirsty’s little comment

‘Dad, if you hurt him I’ll…’

‘Will both of you shut up about Kane and Gypsy. Neither of them are important right now. Where’s that doctor?’ Shelley said anxious and annoyed.

I understood how Rhys was feeling. I felt exactly the same. I’d put Dani in this position. In a way this was all my own stupid fault.

I made my way down to my car and jumped in the front seat behind the wheel. I was physically drained of energy. I sat there for a few minutes, fearful someone was going to run out any minute to tell me the worst had happened. I started the engine and tentatively made my way home. I was so exhausted that I had to swerve to avoid hitting the kerb on one sharp bend.

‘Watch it Will. You could’ve killed us both then’ came from the back of the car with Gypsy squeezing out from the back seat.

I pulled the car over and to a dramatic halt.

‘How the hell did you get in here’ I said watching her smug face in the mirror.

‘Well you don’t have a cop as your father and not pick up a few things Will, you should know that’ she said slyly. ‘Now you got what you wanted from me with your silly divorce papers, now I’m going to get what I want from you’

‘Oh yeah and what’s that?’ I snapped back

‘I’ve told you. I need to get out of this town and I need you to take me. After all who’d suspect you of helping me? Not the police that’s for sure’

‘Why do you think I’d ever help you? You deserve everything you get. Lily would be better off if you were locked up’

‘Because sweetie, I’m already in a lot of trouble. What’s to stop me finishing off the job, it’s not like it could get anymore serious could it?’ she said calmly, like she was enjoying the situation.

‘You ever go near Dani again and I will kill you myself’

‘Don’t ever threaten to take my daughter away from me and your precious girlfriend should remain fine. Think about it Will. I could never come back I mean I’d go to prison. Me and Lily out of your life for good. It’d be just what you wanted.

It made a lot of sense at the time. While the thought of Lily going was hard I knew I needed them both out of my life if I was going to stand any chance of getting back with Dani for good.

‘OK. I’ll help. Anything to get you as far away from me and Dani as possible’ I said still in shock that I’d even consider helping her one last time after everything she’d done.

‘I knew you’d come round to my way of thinking. Well Lily’s with my friend Joy. Well Joy just so happens to have taken her to Yabbie Creek wharf where conveniently her boyfriend Tommy is waiting for me on his own boat to take me away from the mess I call a life’ she explained quite pleased with herself.

‘So you and this Tommy bloke you’re together?’ I asked

‘In a way…’ she said

‘What about your ‘friend’?’

‘She’ll get over it. I mean just because they were childhood sweethearts and engaged doesn’t mean they were going to last forever’ she said callously.

‘So I drive you to this place…’

‘And you and your little Princess can live happily ever after without the wicked witch spoiling it for you’ she said with an evil smirk.

I took off in the car. The journey to Yabbie Creek was tense. Gypsy reminisced in the back seat about our ‘perfect relationship’. I felt sick thinking I’d ever loved her. All those good memories just made me hate her even more. My heart was beating so hard with anxiety that the police would catch us at any moment.

‘Here we are’ I said still not looking at her ‘now get out and don’t ever come back’

‘What, are you not even going to give me a goodbye kiss’ she said as some kind of twisted joke.

‘Just get out’ I hissed. The sooner she was gone the better.

‘She pulled herself forward to whisper in my ear:

‘Just remember Will, if I go down I now have something on you. You ruin this for me and your new life with Dani can be kissed goodbye. We could even share a cell, the murderer and the man who helped her escape’ she laughed then wrapped herself in a scarf and put on a pair of dark sunglasses. ‘Remember that image. Goodbye Will’ she said kissing my cheek. My blood ran cold. She jumped out of the car and into a passing crowd only to vanish like she was never there. She may have gone but once again she had a hold over me that could ruin my life with Dani. I drove back to Summer Bay. My phone rang.

‘Will, it’s Shelley come quickly. Dani’s woken up’ she said excitedly.

I raced down to the hospital. I couldn’t wait to see her, to talk to her, to hold her. I entered the hospital and ran to the door of her room then quietly walked in.

‘Will…’ said her weak, beautiful voice.

‘Come here baby. I was so worried. I thought I’d lost you’ I said almost in tears as I embraced her in a tight hug. ‘I’m never letting you go again. I'm never letting you out of my sight’

‘And don’t worry love; the cops will soon track down Gypsy. She’ll pay for doing this we’ll make sure of that’ Rhys added.

The tears in my eyes were conflicting. On the one hand I’d finally got Dani back, but on another Gypsy could still tear us apart. How could I tell her that I’d had to help Gypsy escape to be free of her? When I did I could lose her anyway.

Glad your all enjoying it. :)

Chapter 18

Seeing my family around my bedside looking so pleased to see me was a humbling experience. I was lucky to be alive. It was a little overwhelming to say the least. One thing I did notice was how subdued Will was at my bedside. It may have just been the pain relief but he seemed distracted. He never let go of my hand and kept stoking my hair and staring at me intensely but never said a word, although that wasn’t really that surprising. It would have been hard to get a word in edgeways with my family. I guess it must have been as overwhelming for him as it was for me.

Half an hour later there was a knock on the door of my room. It was Peter Baker and a uniformed policeman.

‘Have you found Gypsy or Kane?’ Dad asked as soon as he saw them.

‘We are sorry to say that we haven’t. Both seem to have conveniently vanished. But don’t worry it won’t be long before we catch up with both of them and whoever is helping them escape punishment’ Peter said. I knew the final comment was aimed directly at Kirsty and so did everyone else including her.

‘What makes you think someone’s hiding them? Mom asked curiously.

‘Well we have a witness that says that they saw Kane getting into a car and identified the passenger as Kirsty. We will need to speak to you.’ He said.

The atmosphere was tense again. Not only had he tried to kill me and Will but once again she was protecting him like he’s the innocent party.

‘What!’ Dad shouted angrily.

‘Well whoever said that is lying, I haven’t seen Kane since we had that argument, I swear. Tell them Jade.’ Kirsty said anxiously.

Jade just looked awkward at the entire situation.

‘Well we still need to speak to you some time in the morning’ Peter told her obviously not convinced by her plea of innocence. ‘We’d also appreciate a statement from you Dani, but that can wait until you are out of hospital’ Peter said with a smile.

‘What about Gypsy, any news on her?’ Will said; his first words all night.

‘We have a couple of leads. We’ll be speaking to her friends and family in Queensland. Don’t worry we will find her’ he said reassuringly.

Funny that even his words didn’t put my mind at rest, after all it was the justice system that let Kane walk free once, what’s to stop them doing it again? As for Gypsy, her Dad’s influence in the police force was going to be quite hard to beat.

‘So do you know where that little creep is hiding?’ Dad said to Kirsty almost the second the police left the room.

‘I said I didn’t’ Kirsty said petulantly.

‘Yes, well we all know what you say is not always the truth, don’t we?’

‘Well I am telling the truth this time’

‘We hope so Kirst as you could be in a lot of trouble if you aren’t’ Mom added trying steer clear of another argument about Kane Philips.

It was getting late so the family decided it was best to leave so we could all get some rest.

‘Bye sweetheart, hopefully we’ll have you back at home soon. The sooner the better in my opinion’ Dad said kissing me on the forehead.

‘We’ll be back first thing tomorrow’ Mom said.

‘It’s good to have you back sis’ Jade said hugging me almost in tears.

‘She’s right’ Kirsty added.

‘I should probably go as well, let you get some rest’ Will said.

‘You don’t have to. It feels like I haven’t seen you in years’ I said

‘Don’t you need your rest?’

‘Well, yeah, but one more hour isn’t going to hurt’

‘No I don’t suppose it will’ he said

‘Will, is everything ok? I mean you’ve been so quiet and now it’s like you’re avoiding speaking to me’

‘I’m sorry. It’s just…well it’s been a rollercoaster few days. I really thought I’d lost you’ he said taking both of my hands in his.

I smiled. I felt safe knowing I had Will and my family looking out for me, even with Gypsy and Kane still out there. It was a comforting feeling.

‘Dan, I was so scared of losing you because I haven’t had the chance to prove to you how much you mean to me. I’ve let you down a lot in the past and I’ve hurt you badly and I prayed that if you woke up I was going to spend the rest of my life making that up to you.’

Awwww, Will. There’s nothing to make up for. I know you love me that’s all that matters’ I told him trying to put his mind at rest.

‘Yeah but you have no idea how much…’ he said ambiguously.

He took my hand gently. He produced a small delicately wrapped box from his pocket and opened the lid to show a dazzling, small diamond ring. Probably the most beautiful ring I’d ever seen. I bit my bottom lip as the butterflies in my stomach felt like they were starting a riot and would burst right out.

‘…So I’m going to prove it to you for the rest of our lives and make you as happy as you make me’ What I’m trying to say is, Dani Sutherland will you do me the honour of becoming my wife.’

‘Yes’ I screamed giddily ‘I would love to be your wife’

He gently placed the ring on my finger with a beaming smile that lit up the room then we kissed passionately.

‘This has to be the best day of my life’ he said sweetly.

‘Me too’ I said blissfully happy.

‘I do love you Dani, more than anything in the world. I’d do anything for you, you know that don’t you?’

‘I know. I love you too’

For the first time ever it felt like my life was finally coming together. Not everything was perfect but at that moment none of it mattered as in that moment I was the happiest I’d ever been and absolutely nothing could wreck our perfect moment together.

Archived