High School Musical

Guest Amir

*Blows dust of the thread and tries to make it sparkly again*

So, I went and saw HSM3 this morning and simply adored it. I've tried to put my thoughts in to some sort of conceivable order, listing the top 10 things I liked about the movie.

WARNING: This post will contain SPOILERS. If you haven't seen it and don't want it spoiled, don't read!!!

You have been warned.

#10 Mrs Darbus

Or “Mrs. D” as she is now affectionately known. When did that happen? Anyways, I really liked that they didn’t totally neglect her role in everything in favour of more Troy angst or Troyella scenes. Her talk with Troy was very sweet and a poignant scene in the movie I thought. Also having to deal with boy’s running on stage in nothing but towels was highly amusing.

#9 The Rooftop Garden

Can I Have This Dance was well done. The dancing was really good, and clearly the gardening club had got more funding and expanded in size. The roof was huge! And I liked how Troy told Chad that the gardening club was behind him in inviting Taylor to the prom. “Yo! My friend has something to say” was one of my favourite moments. I giggled at the fact that the girls had a conference before Taylor said yes. Apart from that the Taylor/Chad relationship was pretty empty. But I did like how Chad said that you don’t take the girl to college (or something to that affect). And then pushed him in the back of the head. A very guy thing to do.

#8 Right Here, Right Now

Not necessarily the song, although that was very cute, but what happened afterwards. The reference to the robot and the pirate wheel was sweet. But since when did a tree house have a sun roof, that suddenly opens?! It amused me how throughout HSM2 Troy was constantly saying that he needed a scholarship to go to college and his parents were “scraping pennies”. It certainly didn’t look that from where I was sitting. That was one awesome party. I had to laugh at Jimmy taking photos of Troy’s bedroom, that boy was slightly creepy. Although stealing the boy’s clothes was fabulous!

#7 Now or Never

A really good way to start the movie I thought. Having Zac Efron staring straight at you. The basketball was good and I liked the shots to Chad’s parents in the stands as well as Gabriella. The thing they did with the cardboard squares was cool too. I also liked the choreography in the version of the actual musical. Even though I couldn’t really get in to the intensity of the actual event, it was a good way to start the film. And Ryan was mascot!

#6 I Want It All

That was one epic musical number. Although it was supposed to be about Sharpay I really couldn’t take my eyes off Ryan. In those pink pants (see #2) and with his own row of dancing girls. I really liked the part where they had the rotating part of the stage and Ryan and Sharpay went from Taylor on the aeroplane to Zeke on a tropical island to Radio City Musical Hall. And did anyone else notice that Ryan totally looked over his shoulder at Zeke on the way out? The cameos by the rest of the cast was great. I really liked Chad’s accent as the cop and Troy as Sharpay’s biggest fan. To think that in HSM1 the biggest number for Ryan and Sharpay was Stick To The Status Quo, ti looks pale in comparison to this number.

#5 Graduation

I don’t really understand why it was Troy who gave the speech, but I loved that Sharpay’s dog graduated too. And the fact that Sharpay’s cap was decked out in sparkles with her signature “SE” on top. Speaking of which, her dressing room was awesome. And Sharpay’s number with Jimmy was funny. I also liked how they kind of did a flashback to HSM1 where she used the computer to publicise that Gabriella was an “Einsteinette”. But back to Graduation, Mrs Darbus looked like a proud parent, and I guess that is true in many respects. I liked how they formed the wildcat from above and I’ve got a feeling that “Once a Wildcat, Always a Wildcat” is going to be quoted a lot. I also liked the graduation version of We’re All In This Together. And Ryan got a group jazz square!

#4 The Boys Are Back

Boys being boys is pretty much the only way to describe it. Although it didn’t really contribute to the plot in anyway, it was fun. It really gave Corbin a chance to show off his dance skills, which were incredible. The things they did with the cars, bringing them to life, with all the flashing lights and hydraulics. It kind of reminded me of the Ford Anglia and the Whomping Willow. The mini versions of Troy and Chad were adorable. With all the seriousness that seemed to occur whenever they were talking about Troy’s future or the fact that they would all be going separate ways, it was a nice change to have this number. Corbin is an amazing dancer and Zac kept up really well. You can definitely see the improvement in all the dance numbers between the three movies. It was a seriously cool set. But Troy’s car had some serious continuity errors. Are we supposed to believe that it couldn’t make it from East High to his house, but made a thousand mile journey to Stanford? The magic of Disney, I guess.

#3 Scream

I think this is probably my favourite number of this film. I’m still undecided whether it is my fave overall. It was epic. All the flashing lights and rotating walls were super cool. Although I’m a little worried about the fact that when Troy is feeling angsty he breaks into his high school and runs rampant through the halls, tearing down posters and sliding across the stage. But even so, it was absolutely amazing. I really think Zac picked up his game. The acting/singing/dancing all really came together, and it was all culminated by that awesome conversation with Mrs Darbus.

#2 Ryan Evans

In pink pants and riding a scooter. He’s gone from Sharpay’s poodle, to kicking ass at baseball and now single-handedly choreographing an entire musical. He is twelve kinds of awesome! Lucas Grabeel is a brilliant singer and actor, so I was disappointed to see how little there was of him. But having said that, the scenes he was in, he always managed to make me smile. Being the school’s mascot and having on the tail at the afterparty (that Troy commented on) was so great. And he rides a scooter! Is that not the best thing ever? It is so Ryan. And Sharpay says it best, “Aw, cute pants.” I prefer to think that Ryan didn’t invite Kelsi to prom because of Sharpay or because there is anything romantic between, but just as friends who both have a love of music. I’m glad though that they managed to keep that ambiguity about him throughout the series. However, I really did like the scenes between Kelsi and Ryan. The fact that he pours himself tea, gave a cute wink as he was lying across the piano and their own entrance during A Night To Remember, were so adorable.

#1 Troy/Zac

In all his sweaty, tree-jumping, waltzing glory. What’s there to say? I’m a fan of Zac Efron, so I did not think that it was an overload at all. We saw so many different sides of the character including, romantic moments with Gabriella, funny moments with The Rocket and then those more emotional moments between his dad (they got a hug!) and Scream. I was a bit worried after what they did during Bet On It in HSM2 that Scream might turn out a bit like that. But it so wasn’t. It was incredible and Zac really brought out all the emotion he could muster. Troy and Kelsi even had a few moments all to themselves, like she hugged him after Gabby left, not mention everyone calling him Hoops. That was sweet, although slightly annoying. His reaction to the Julliard scholarship was pretty priceless, as was Zeke right out laughing at him. You’ve gotta love that. “You’re easier to dance with than she is” was one of my favourite lines too. Ryan and Troy dancing together was brilliant. Not to mention how fabulous he looked in that blue tux.

Even though I think the plot was the weakest of all three movies I think the movies and the massive dance numbers more than made up for it. Sure, it was practically oozing cheese and I was disappointed by the lack of Ryan screen time I really, really liked it. And since Troy was n practically every scene, and the ones he wasn’t in, he was being talked about, when he wasn’t on screen it was a notable absence. I’m still trying to decide if I like the new wildcats. Jimmy and Donny seem ok, but Tiara, really? Do we need a wannabe Sharpay? The original is always the best.

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:o wow, thats one long review Jen :)

i saw it yesterday and i must say it was spoiled by the giggling 12 year olds infront of my friends and me <_<

this movie had the best songs IMO, and the dance numbers were great, "I want it all" was amazing, very broadway, whereas Right Here Right Now was a sweet and more simple song.

Mrs. D was great. she seemed like a cool teacher to have =)

it did seem a bit cheezy in parts, though it does have a G rating. but Troy's graduation speech with song titles thrown in like "status quo" and "all in this together" as well as the smiling and nodding at the camera at the end? that was a little OTT for me..

i liked Rocket Man, especially when he walked into the cafiteria and yelled "YO YO YO ITS LUNCHTIME!" :lol: he was great, li didn't like Tiara or Donny so much, Tiara was more of a brat than Sharpay, and Donny was just eh, he didn't have much of a role in it *shrugs*

i agree when you say Zac's skill as an actor/singer/dancer have really picked up, Corbin is amazing and Zac must have worked super hard to keep up with his dancing in "Boys Are Back" <-- which i also loved.

but overall, i loved it. and it means i have a present for my little sister's birthday next year :P

^ Yeah, I know it's fairly long but there was so much I wanted to say :P.

That's the one thing about going into "kids" movies is that you have to put up with all the kids. I was very fortunate in that when I went there were less than 10 people in the whole theatre, and they were all parents with older kids, so there were no annoying, giggling 12 years olds.

I agree about Rocket Man. He's rather random, but I find him kind of endearing. Tiara is plain annoying. At least with Sharpay she had some kind of motive behind her actions, whether that be wanting Troy or the lead in the musical. Tiara is just plain mailicious.

I've been listening to the soundtrack on loop for the past 2 days :P.

thats pretty cool defying_gravity i'm not rich enough to go to a stage show of it :P so i stick to the movies, what were you in the stage show?

and smae as Jen, the soundtrack is on repeat :lol:

did you like HSM2 or 3 better the first will always be the best IMO, but i can't decide between second and third...

My 4yr old daughter got into hsm a few months ago & I have to admit I really like them too. She is off school at the moment so she watches the 1st & 2nd about 3 times a day, im not joking she is obsessed. I know every single word of both films now & always have one song or another in my head.

Me & my friend took our daughters to see 3 a couple of months ago & wasn't disappointed, the only downside for me being Tiara which seems to be a common opinion. I'm the kind of person who cries at anything happy or sad & this was no exception. Both myself & friend (both over 30 may I add) shed a few tears at the very end when sharpay & taylor (i think)did because I had read beforehand their tears at the end were very real because they wouldnt be working together again.

zzazzb I agree the first is definately the best & I liked the 3rd better than the 2nd because IMO the songs are stronger.

My 4yr old daughter got into hsm a few months ago & I have to admit I really gotten into them too. She is off school at the moment so she watches the 1st & 2nd about 3 times a day, im not joking she is obsessed. I know every single word of both films now & always have one song or another in my head.

Me & my friend took our daughters to see 3 a couple of months ago & wasn't disappointed, the only downside for me being Tiara which seems to be a common opinion. I'm the kind of person who cries at anything happy or sad & this was no exception. Both myself & friend (both over 30 may I add) shed a few tears at the very end when sharpay & taylor (i think)did because I had read beforehand their tears at the end were very real because they wouldnt be working together again. I loved every song & dance but I think my fave was the boys are back.

zzazzb I agree the first is definately the best & I liked the 3rd better than the 2nd because IMO the songs are stronger. And I realise im way to old for him but Zac is gorgeous in 3!!

thats pretty cool defying_gravity i'm not rich enough to go to a stage show of it :P so i stick to the movies, what were you in the stage show?

and smae as Jen, the soundtrack is on repeat :lol:

did you like HSM2 or 3 better the first will always be the best IMO, but i can't decide between second and third...

i played martha cox and was understudy for gabriella

:D ^^ thats way cool!

claire-b after watching HSM 2 today, i think i like the third better too, because of the songs, and the fact that it was at the movies :P i suppose they also had a bigger budget for it aswel. and you can call me Lily :D

Archived