Emmerdale to begin on Foxtel

Guest Andy

Sydney Confidential

Daily Telegraph

19 June 2006

*FORMER Summer Bay star Emily Symons will return to Aussie screens next month -- but don't expect too much of the ditziness she made her name on.

The actor, who shot to fame as bubbly Marilyn Fisher on the Aussie soapie, now stars in the British show Emmerdale.

The program will appear on Foxtel channel UKTV from next month.

Having successfully buried her Home and Away past, 36-year-old Symons has spent the last seven years playing Australian bartender Louise Appleton in the high-rating UK soap.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You guys in Australia have missed out on *so* much not having Emmerdale, it's *so* good! I *love* it! And I love the character of Louise....I couldn't imagine her in an Aussie soap, she's the Dales through and through! I wonder what the viewing figures will be like in Australia?

It can't have been 7 years surely?

*Does a bit of research*

Nope thought not! She first appeared on 20th June 2001 - meaning she's been in it for 5 years and 2 days.

She moved over here 7 years ago, but it took a while for her to find work.

Even so, it still doesn't seem like 5 years! :P

Si, they're starting showing it from Viv/Donna's double wedding - meaning they'll be only 5 months behind Britain. 34 years to choose from and they start from this year! :P

It can't have been 7 years surely?

*Does a bit of research*

Nope thought not! She first appeared on 20th June 2001 - meaning she's been in it for 5 years and 2 days.

She moved over here 7 years ago, but it took a while for her to find work.

Even so, it still doesn't seem like 5 years! :P

Si, they're starting showing it from Viv/Donna's double wedding - meaning they'll be only 5 months behind Britain. 34 years to choose from and they start from this year! :P

I thought it couldn't be that long, Dan - I watched it regularly until at least early 2001 and I know she wasn't in it then!

Hmm, starting this year means they'll miss some of the best storylines in my opinion. Maybe they'll show some old episodes as 'specials'? I guess with Emmerdale playing about 27 times a week here, they will be getting further and further behind unless they keep a pace with the UK.

Is there any info on this on Media Spy? Had a quick look but couldn't see anything.

Archived