Ivar Kants

Guest buffygirl

I also wonder why Barry was never used to any great extent. But I guess the writers just didn't nkow what to do with him. He was invented as a rather hollow character by a head writer who left soon after. It seems those who took her place didn't really know what to do with him, but were kind of lumbered with him.

There is no denying that Ivor is a great actor and that Barry had plenty of unfulfilled potential.

But let's face it, even after he was finally added to the characters and "upgraded" to a main character, he didn't do half as much as the other characters, or even Morag who was still a guest character.

I can't help wonder if the only reason he was ever added to the credits was so they could have the "shock" of have a main character be a murderer. Kind of like in Buffy was Tara was added to the credits before being killed.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't help wonder if the only reason he was ever added to the credits was so they could have the "shock" of have a main character be a murderer. Kind of like in Buffy was Tara was added to the credits before being killed.

I accutally never thought of it like that, totally is in a way like aka Buffy to fool you into thinking they would be around a while just because there in the credits "crafty writers"

I reakon they had already planned his departure from the moment they started the whole Kim finding his mum storyline

He was added at first to be like the demon headmaster, all the students hated him at first because he was so strict but when he started "pursuing" Irene I think we saw the softer side of the character.

I guess it depends how old you are.

To a younger audience he probably seemed like a complex interesting character.

To me, he certainly COULD have been had he been given the chance. But there's nothing interesting or original about a "grumpy middle aged man who has a softer side underneath" type character. Look on any TV show ever made - and there he is. I think maybe this is why I never really took to Barry. His character is a tired old concept. I'm not saying he's not a likeable guy though.

I will definitely miss Hyde - I feel that he's the sort of character that you like to know is around even if he hasn't got any major storylines. It's so funny to think of when he arrived and how Irene hated him 'coz of his ordering her around, and how eventually they got together.

LOL.

I have to say I am pleased that even though he has been charged with two manslaughters and will no doubt be going to jail, I am glad the show have continued to keep Barry on screen right up until his court case rather than have him conveniently disappear like Jesse did, never to be mentioned again.

I totally agree with everyone on everything!!!

I think Ivar was great in portraying Barry Hyde. He was a great character. I especially liked his voice too... i think he is quite eloquent and soft-spoken which was really nice. I also thought that Chris Hemsworth acted a lot better when he did scenes with Ivar, i noticed that the other day when i was watching those episodes where Rachel came clean to the board about her and Kim etc and Barry was trying to talk sense into them.

Barry is a great character and i will definetly miss his presence. But lets face it... He did save Summer Bay at the end of it all.

yeh i love barrys scenes with kim, especially the high charged emotional ones! i loved it when kim got hit by the car and we saw barry being v worried and angry and tender, a whole load of emotions, i loved it when kims waking up and hes holding his hand and talking softly to him and when kim was being sick after hed taken the ecstacy for the first time and gone out drinking and barry was worried for him...just really sweet moments!! i love the bit too where kim wakes from the gbh coma and barrys there stroking his head awww!!

he made the father son relationship really believable on screen!! yes i love kim hehe but i esp love him in scenes with barry..it wont be the same now!!

couldnt believe it was him who killed josh..i dont want him to leave booo!!

I guess it depends how old you are.

To a younger audience he probably seemed like a complex interesting character. To me, he certainly COULD have been had he been given the chance. But there's nothing interesting or original about a "grumpy middle aged man who has a softer side underneath" type character. Look on any TV show ever made - and there he is. I think maybe this is why I never really took to Barry. His character is a tired old concept. I'm not saying he's not a likeable guy though.

I must disagree on the age point Ste. As someone who is almost twice your age, and as someone who earns a living from forensic psychiatry, I find Barry to be one of the more intersting and complex characters, certainly more so than any they have had in recent times. He has certainly interested me. I find characters like Barry rather more fascinating than the run of the mill, stereotypical psychos, who seem to appear with alarming regularity these days. I loved Angie, and she was the most unique and the best of these undoubtedly, but I digress.

I do agree however, that a lot of opportunities, far too many in fact, were missed by not exploring many aspects of his character. They totally ignored his repressive childhood, and the impact that this will have had upon him. He had an intriguing back story on the official site, none of which was ever mentioned. I was slightly perturbed when they altered this back story but at the end of the day I believe it was more than justified and helped them flesh him out into the character who we have seen in the last year. Barry's admission to Kim that he had killed his mother last year, and the episodes we have seen in the last few weeks, will long remain with me as one of the best performances I have seen.

Ivar Kant’s acting ability was relied upon to convey the depth and complexity of this character rather than the writing. At times the writing has not done justice to the character. Barry was a damaged and flawed human being, who loved his son and loved Irene. I thought Ivar's portrayal reflected all of that extremely well. It would have been good to see them explore the inner conflicts and demons which have haunted Barry, and to see more of him, but as you say they may not have known what to do with him. That may have been too deep for 7.00.pm soap time slot.

Ivar Kants is a first class actor who has brought so much to the role of Barry. He is a gifted actor, and at the risk of sounding shallow, that ‘come to bed’ voice was also one of the things which made Barry one of my favourite characters.

I think everything else has been said by other posters in this thread. I will miss him.

Archived