Girls Room

Guest -Emily-

We do not write English as Shakespeare, or even Dickens wrote it as the use of language changes with time, but I do think it is very short sighted if schools are allowing young people to write in txt spk as all the wonderful nuances and intricasies of the english language will be lost.

• Replies 8.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can write in text, but I dont. I can type really fast, inwhich for some reason I write with proper puncuation e.t.c. My "friend" gets annoyed at me on MSN telling me I should write in text cos writing in full words isnt cool.

Yeah, whatever..

In Norway we have a "institution" called Norsk Språkråd (språk=language, råd=coucil). They are the ones who set the rules for how written Norwegian should be (spelling, grammar, etc), and something is not "good" Norwegian if they don't like it - so, any changes in the language has to be "approved". Maybe txt will be one day, but it is not now, and that is what will count on exams.

I can write in text, but I dont. I can type really fast, inwhich for some reason I write with proper puncuation e.t.c. My "friend" gets annoyed at me on MSN telling me I should write in text cos writing in full words isnt cool.

Yeah, whatever..

Tell your friend that when they fail all their exams because they can't write properly! :wink:

As far as I'm concerned, txt speak is a moronic bastardisation of our language used by people incapable of stringing a proper sentence together.

When I send text messages I sometimes abbreviate the odd word, if I really have to, just to fit in everything that I want to say! Sometimes I'll shorten "to" to a number 2, or "you" to "u", but that's as far as it goes! I don't like even doing that, I'd prefer it if text messages were longer, it can be hard fitting everything into 160 characters or however many it is. Some people send really short messages that are entirely txt speak, I really don't understand it! Especially when we have predictive text, it actually makes it easier to spell properly than it is to use txt speak, but people still do it! :blink:

C U PPL L8R :rolleyes:

In Norway we have a "institution" called Norsk Språkråd (språk=language, råd=coucil). They are the ones who set the rules for how written Norwegian should be (spelling, grammar, etc), and something is not "good" Norwegian if they don't like it - so, any changes in the language has to be "approved". Maybe txt will be one day, but it is not now, and that is what will count on exams.

I wish I had my norwegian text book with me because there I have many examples of words you can write, you have the 'english way' and the 'norwegian way' but you can use both.. hmm..

They have that is Germany as well, and over the last few years there has been a major spelling reform, especially with the ß character for a "ss". This is a right pain in the bum, actually, as it has only been in the last 5 years or so and my teacher at school didn't understand it , and tended to ignore it completely. There was a transition period where either spelling was acceptable, but now you can only use the new ones. So, now I'm at uni, I'm having to re-learn all the new spellings according to the reformed rules. :angry:

Txt talk is awful! Occasionally I do abbreviate some words when I am actually texting, but you can still understand what I'm saying. And I use full punctuation (even semicolons sometimes) but then I am a bit of a grammar geek.

I can't believe what Emmadolly said about her step-daughter's school, that is disgusting! How do they expect the students to pass their exams? And I can't believe no one took the time to listen to your complaint, that is really bad. Maybe you could speak to someone higher up about it.

I spoke to the Headmaster, and while my hubby and i was talking to him, he could not make eye contact. And told us that our concerns were not large enough to change the way they teach, as he feels that it helps the students focus.,. I nearly layed one on him. LOL

That is terrible, what a d***head! I wonder if other parents know about this. I know my mum would not be happy if it were my brothers' education. Surely the school should have discussed something that affects exams in such a way with parents first?

Archived