No Omnibus might be a good thing!

Guest dan

The reason being that this forces all the omnibus viewers to watch (or tape which still counts) the episodes that actually count for the ratings and therefore increase ratings, thus gaining publicity if the increase is large enough to make the papers thus increasing interest among former viewers and/or new viewers thus increasing viewing figures... ad infinitum!

(Goes to hide from the missiles being thrown from JM and others)

Home and away always had loads of opportunities then any other soap on channel five, because they always had the omnibus and they had repeats shown. Other soaps dont even have a omnibus or as far as i know there are some soaps on other channels that dont even have a repeat. I guess we were quite lucky. :P

In the UK Eastenders on BBC1, Hollyoaks on c4, both have omnibuses

I don't think Emmerdale or Corrie have them on ITV, though for some reason I have a memory of Corrie having one on occasions?

Neighbours does'nt get one.

George

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Emmerdale and Corrie both have weekly omnibuses on ITV2

Coronation Street did have an omnibus on ITV1 for about a year, but this was scrapped at the end of 2004 because of low ratings apparently.

Hopefully, as previously discussed, the H&A Omnibus will be on one of Five's new digital channels. If this is the case, they should have waited until the channels launched and then have a proper changeover - it could have been a good ratings boost for the new channel(s). But now we obviously don't know what will happen, but rumor is that the channel(s) will begin to air within the next few weeks.

Some regions showed a Sunday omnibus of Corrie in the late 80s/early 90s if I remember correctly, however a large number didn't. Central certainly didn't take it.

There were also repeats of the previous episode of Emmerdale or Corrie at lunchtime during the early-to-mid 90s (Emmerdale repeat on Tue/Thu, Corrie on Mon/Wed/Fri).

In most regions these were shown at 12.55pm with the lunchtime Home & Away at 1.25pm to create a lunchtime "soap hour".

Regions slowly phased the lunchtime editions of Corrie/Emmy out and were dropped altogether once the soaps increased in frequency (Emmerdale getting a Wednesday episode and Corrie a Sunday).

When ITV2 launched they ended up there.

ITV2 also showed, and continue to show, omnibuses of Emmerdale and Corrie. They also had a Home & Away omnibus on Saturday mornings until they lost the UK rights.

Intrestingly, Crossroads got an ITV1 weekend omnibus in 2003 on Saturday afternoons, however low ratings moved this to 12.40am on Sunday nights into Monday mornings. It was however slightly cut from the weekday editions.

Archived