Which characters were axed?

adam436

25 minutes ago, SunnyG12 said:

Yes!! This puts me in mind of the letter I wrote to the producers years ago now - Asking why there was no representation of anyone in Summer Bay having any sort of longstanding handicap.

I remember this was around the time that Mikey Dunn having autism was being explored on the show.

I never heard back from the producers - Though when I heard that they were exploring bipolar, I was quietly impressed.

It is a real shame they dropped the ball.

I apologise - This sounds like it went a bit off topic and may have been more suited to the Producers thread that we have .. :(

Apologies for continuing the slight off topic discussion, (I'll be quick :wink:) but I just can't understand why the show is so terrified of a little bit of diversity. People can't even wear glasses for goodness sake!

I really can't see what the problem is with having some representation of disability on the show. Why couldn't Josh have stayed blind for example? As I've said before, it would have been the easiest disability for them to keep long-term, because it didn't require any paraphernalia like a wheelchair or any type of makeup or prosthesis. All he had to do was act (and he was doing a pretty good job of that already). I also think that Maddy could have stayed on with a prosthesis. It wouldn't have been that difficult, although I suppose they wouldn't have liked having to cover a young actress up all the time, instead of her prancing about the place in her bikini! How hard would it really be for someone to not magically regain the use of their legs within 3 episodes of being told that they 'might never walk again'? I realise that Summer Bay has the highest success rate for spinal injury rehabilitation in the world (despite no-one actually ever doing any physiotherapy) but surely just once someone could slip through the net and not have to go home to live with their estranged family as a result?! lol!

And I'll shut up now... sorry :unsure: 

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
48 minutes ago, Ludub said:

Apologies for continuing the slight off topic discussion, (I'll be quick :wink:) but I just can't understand why the show is so terrified of a little bit of diversity. People can't even wear glasses for goodness sake!

I realise that Summer Bay has the highest success rate for spinal injury rehabilitation in the world (despite no-one actually ever doing any physiotherapy) but surely just once someone could slip through the net and not have to go home to live with their estranged family as a result?! lol!

And I'll shut up now... sorry :unsure: 

Summer Bay ..... the soapie equivalent of Lourdes :rolleyes:

18 minutes ago, L90 said:

Summer Bay ..... the soapie equivalent of Lourdes :rolleyes:

I've run out of likes so here's a wink face instead! lol! :wink: The only problem with the healing waters of Summer Bay is the fact that you might make a miraculous recovery from your serious spinal injury (or even brain death) but you're sure to die soon after in an explosion and / or be shot before you reach the age of 30... or die of cancer... or end up in prison 'for something you didn't do!'. So if you do manage to wobble your way back onto your feet despite all the odds being stacked against you I'd make sure to get out of there as quickly as you possibly can. Quick... get to 'the city' as fast as your little rehabilitated legs will carry you and don't ever come back! :P

• 1 month later...
On 06/08/2016 at 7:22 PM, cadyctslover said:

Martha and Hugo were probably axed, due to Jodi's sour relationship with Network 7 and Bernard's involvement in the unpopular people smuggling storyline.

Elijiah was definitely axed. For a character I actually really liked during his original stint in 2010, they made a real mess of his return in 2011. They were clearly relying on his eventual pairing with Leah, because when the producers realised the idea made everyone's skin crawl he was immediately written out. Jay Laga'aia publicly accused the show (and Network 7) of neglecting ethnic diversity on Home and Away (he is right about that), but I strongly suspect he was in fact axed because the character was not sustainable.

Gina never seemed to have much of a fan following, and her exit facilitated the relationship between John and Marilyn.

Spencer Harrington.

Jessica Grace Smith pretty much admitted that it wasn't her choice to leave the show.

I would be very surprised if Oscar, Hannah, Skye and Wayne, and Greg Snelgrove were not all axed.

Hide contents

Josh and Andy, Chris Harrington

Ooh; where did Jessica admit that it wasn't her choice to leave the show? It did seem a bit strange that she only lasted around a year on the show... 

Spoiler

Also, I would not be surprised at all if Johnny Ruffo's character was axed, with all his fines and court appearances etc. 

^ Fist of all, in this part of the forum your second sentence needs spoiler tags.

In this article she mentions that it was 'a shock I was going to die.' It doesn't definitively suggest she was fired though I have to admit. She could have decided to go, but was shocked at the way the writers decided to do it. However, her death was so intrinsically linked to Charlotte's character arc and eventual departure that I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't her decision.

11 hours ago, cadyctslover said:

^ Fist of all, in this part of the forum your second sentence needs spoiler tags.

Sorry! I completely forgot that some people might not know... 

Thank you for the information on Jessica's departure though; although I don't think her character was axed but it could be very likely :/ 

• 2 months later...

Was it the actress of Natalie's decision to leave? She really didn't seem to last long at all. From the sounds of things her character didn't really do a lot anyway

I would not be surprised if Chris was axed, purely because he signed a contract putting him through to roughly 2018 (i think) at the end of last year which would have been around the time that the final scenes of Hannah Wilson were filmed. I think that realistically they probably thought his character had been through enough after all the unrequited love (i think that's the term for short and brief relationships) and then finding "the one" in Hannah, they probably didn't think his character could realistically move on and rebound and just get another girl. Personally I really liked his character and I wish they kept him on and made him move on by finding love with someone else.

I'm sure that's what Johnny would have wanted if it wasn't his decision to leave. He stated that his reason for departing was for "new challenges". Not sure if he just said that to the media, seems a very undetailed reasoning so I hope it was the truth and that he was not axed

13 hours ago, CaptainTed84 said:

Was it the actress of Natalie's decision to leave? She really didn't seem to last long at all. From the sounds of things her character didn't really do a lot anyway

I thought her, Joel and Tom were all axed. If she was though, I fail to understand why they were not given a happy ending at the time and written out together. I guess it's possible that Antoniette left of her own accord and the writers didn't know what to do with Joel so they axed him?

I've always thought that had he not been axed (assuming he was), Joel would have become a long-term character and might still be around today. At least Summer Bay would still have a competent police force :P

Archived