Home and Away 2004 Cliffhanger/Noah's Death - 10 Years Ago

Jezz

This may seem like a random thread and because it doesn't exactly fit into the category of the Early Years which is seen as being from 1988 to 2000 on this forum so apologises if I've posted in the wrong thread.

Anyway I was going to say that I was just thinking about today and how I was reminded of the fact that the Home and Away Olympic Cliffhanger in 2004 involving Sarah Lewis holding half of the characters hostage at Leah's house and Noah's death was 10 years ago today on August 13 2004 in Australia.

It just shocked me that an episode I remember so well and so vividly has now come up to its 10th anniversary since it aired. In my opinion this is still one of my favourite episodes ever on the show and I'm still staggered that the climax of that storyline finished exactly 10 years ago as it doesn't feel that old in my head.

What do people think! Have the years crept up on others or does it feel like 10 years already and what were people's memories of the storyline whether it was good or bad?

I'm interested to hear other posters opinions on this.

Also for those wondering the episode I'm referring to that aired on this date exactly 10 years ago was episode 3805.

sarah2.jpg

Image courtesy of BTTB

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Before spoilers became huge I genuinely had no idea who died that night. I was speculating and coming up with ideas of who most likely died during the two week break when the Olympics were on. I kept thinking it would be Peter Baker or maybe Sarah just killed herself and no one else died that night.

I was quite shocked when Noah died and his death really did begin an era of Noah's Bar opening and of course the Summer Bay Stalker being a huge part of Home and Away in 2005 and 2006.

It just dawned on me today that it was 10 years ago and yet I remember it so clearly.

I do remember the episode well. I also had little idea as to who would actually die.

I have my doubts as to whether the current obsession with spoilers and the leaking of storylines so far in advance of airing would ever allow that sort of episode to be successful again.

I do remember the episode well. I also had little idea as to who would actually die.

I have my doubts as to whether the current obsession with spoilers and the leaking of storylines so far in advance of airing would ever allow that sort of episode to be successful again.

I also think that it may never be as successful again because storylines such as this (guns/hold ups/shootings/police chases) are so common place in H&A these days, it wouldn't have the same impact on a wide audience.

I can't believe that 2004 was 10 years ago! I remember reading spoilers about the storyline on this very forum (under a different name back then). The victim wasn't revealed though, as far as I can remember, until the episode was broadcast.

I don't think I had watched this episode when Noah was killed. But I remember bits and pieces of the aftermath e.g. Noah's funeral and his ghost. That's all I can remember. Wow can't believe it had been 10 years, eh?

I remembered my sister asking me where Noah was and I would tell her what happened....

Right did Hayley visit Peter in hospital while he was in a coma?? I can remember watching this scene.

I also think that it may never be as successful again because storylines such as this (guns/hold ups/shootings/police chases) are so common place in H&A these days, it wouldn't have the same impact on a wide audience.

I can't believe that 2004 was 10 years ago! I remember reading spoilers about the storyline on this very forum (under a different name back then). The victim wasn't revealed though, as far as I can remember, until the episode was broadcast.

Yes, I do agree Alexx. And I have to add, that the characters were better developed at that time. It was easier to feel their pain. And the storylines are more recycled now, so it is also easier to guess what is going to happen, with or without the spoilers. The whole show is far more chliched than it was 10 years ago, or even 5-6 years ago.

But I also do see Johns point, and probably they shouldn't allow public to watch the filming. It isn't allowed to watch the filming of drama series in many other countries, at least not in mine. And I have always thought that is a bit weird, when they allow the public to watch they film the show.

I do think the weekly spoilers we get are enough. Then we can speculate in them, but they don't reveal that much. We had a lot of spoilers around the cliffhanger in 2008, but it was still very hard to say if Jack was dead or not. And I wonder if TV Week reveals too much now, about probably departures in the more distant future (of the airing eps).

I have never been a fan of shooting/guns in the show. And I wasn't a huge fan of the Sarah Lewis storyline, but I still think the outcome was surprising and entertaining. And it was easy to feel with Haley, we really knew who she was as a character. But I thought it was a bit confusing about the funeral, because that episode was shown only a day after the cliffhanger, and it was a bit confusing with the timing there.

It isn't 10 years ago since I saw that, because at that time we were 2 years behind Australia. So it is about 8 years ago. But from July 2012 to February 2014 we got two eps each weekday and are now 4 months behind.

Archived