UK Omnibus Scrapped!

Guest James Martin

I'm praying they don't take it off altogether! If they axe it like family affairs I will die!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thankfully, it's a completely different situation with Family Affairs. FA is Five's own soap, which they started themselves, whereas H&A is obviously an import. With FA they've had to build it up from scratch, and because Five is a relatively new channel they've struggled to get good ratings for it. As long as H&A is still being made (and I think it's ok to say that's highly likely) and they're getting a decent amount of viewers, I'm pretty sure they'll keep it on.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually I've just had a thought!

five are going to be launching a new digital channel sometime in early 2006 called five.2 - there's also talk of a five.3 at some point.

Maybe the omnibus may be shown on one of them!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Why are all the TV channels having 4 channels of their own (Like BBC 1, BBC 2, BBC 3, BBC4). It annoys me slightly (apart from BBC 3)

My Saturday mornings what am I to do? I used to get up, go to bakers to get breakfast and lunch, sit down to watch H&A whilst eatting. :rolleyes: I'll have to do...... housework now :ph34r: Actually that even kept me sane on the few Saturday mornings I had to tidy the house.

Perhaps they will show old H&A episodes. Just not the really old episodes. They might start from the first episode they ever showed.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Do they have the rights for the older episodes though? I remember when it moved to Chan 5 there was something that they were unable to show the ITV episodes as ITV still had the rights to those episodes. Or was that just speculation?

Just what I was thinking claire :blink:

As for rights to earlier episodes. Five only bought the rights from year 2000 episodes onwards. ITV still held the rights to earlier ones. Whether those rights have expired yet or not, I don't know.

I can understand James Martin's frustration at Five for their treatment of the show but they are nowhere near as bad as ITV were. ITV used to cut almost EVERY episode. They were trying to squeeze the show into a 20 minute slot so absolutely anything they could get away with cutting, they cut. Five are nowhere near that bad. I do find it annoying when they make silly cuts for no apparant reason but it's not a regular occurance (yet). My only complaint with Five is that they fly out to Australia to film silly Tasha idents that don't really do ANYTHING for the show, yet they can't just make up simple promos using clips from upcoming episodes.

As for rights to earlier episodes. Five only bought the rights from year 2000 episodes onwards. ITV still held the rights to earlier ones. Whether those rights have expired yet or not, I don't know.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I could see them repeating those episodes again. They still have the rights for the episodes that were shown from 2000 onwards right?

That was what I was trying to say earlier. So they would be old episodes but they wouldn't be the really old ones.

Archived