Disability in H&A?

Guest AngelRose

A lot of the issues you have highlighted - such as anorexia and bullimia are not disabilities.

I don't think there has ever been a regular disabled character on H&A - and I mean people that arrived with a disability and left with one.

I did not class the likes of Nick and Angel as having disabilities - they had an accident which caused temporary problems, although H&A did handle the subject well and the difficulties they may have faced - but they were both completely fine after a few weeks/months.

Whilst that is great news for the character, it is just an easy way out for the writers.

However, this is mostly true to all soaps, writers do not seem to kow where to take a disabled character, much like if a character is gay - it is often all about them being gay rather than their actual character and likewise if a character has a disability.

I think this will start to change soon, people are getting bored of the same old love triangles in soaps (in my opinion) and using characters/actors with disabilities is pretty unexplored territory.

Breezer

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Of course you can say that illnesses are not disabilities, but at least in my head, if they stop you from doing something, they are :P:)

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There have been plenty of characters in wheel chairs who have been miraculously healed in a week e.g. Martha, but I guess they don't really count.

Isn't Jack deaf in one ear though?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, because of Martha's prank.

There have been plenty of characters in wheel chairs who have been miraculously healed in a week e.g. Martha, but I guess they don't really count.

Isn't Jack deaf in one ear though?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's a bit of a spoiler for people here in the UK who haven't read the Aussie forum. Martha is still fit and healthy here and has certainly not been in a wheelchair. Jack doesn't even exist yet over here.

I know most of us have probably read the Aussie forum too, but people really should think about what they post here in the UK forum, some people might not want to know what happens in the future. Other posts can just be confusing when they are about characters we don't even know about yet.

every character has been to hospital atleast once.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Going to hospital doesn't mean that a character is disabled though, it just means they were in an accident or they were ill. Most of them either go into hospital and die, or they leave fit and healthy. The only character I can remeber who actually had a disability (not a temporary wheelchair phase) was Mikey. He was mentally disabled though, not physically. He was autistic. Sarah Lewis had mental issues, but she was never really a main character.

If there's issues with dealing with a wheelchair on set, that will prevent filming etc from going ahead normally, then I think we've got to remember that they are filming a TV show and that not everything can be covered.

There's logisitical reasons they've given us for the comparative lack of disabled characters I'm willing to except them.

Also, has Cassie been in hospital yet?

Archived