Drug use angers Families Association

Guest Andy

How stupid. That's so stupid... so stupid. There's barely words, but I'm going to try.

I'm all for high moral values etc, but I just can't understand how these people can truly think that showing how drug use has negative consequences sends the wrong message.

I don't think anyone from this Australian Families Association has actually watched Home and Away. They just hear "drugs" and think "bad example". How incredibly lame.

Trouble is they believe it. And they manage to manipulate protective parents into agreeing with their stupid views.

It's like people believing that teaching abstinence while not teaching about safe sex is the best way to go. That's why the incidence of HIV is rising in the US among women... these "family friendly" associations are the least family friendly things in the whole world, bar the KKK. Treating young people like they're stupid and need this kind of protection is paternalistic and patronising. As a young person myself, I find it offensive and that's why these stupid organisations have no sway with me. If I actually believed for a second that they had realistic goals for family friendliness, they would.

"Many of them want to emulate them so these themes, no matter how they're presented, have an effect on impressionable young people."

This quote is just so incredibly stupid. Never mind that the effect could be that the kids decide to stay away from drugs because it wrecked cutie Kimmy's life... And it kind of makes out that young people are really stupid and don't understand that the people on this show are *characters* doing fictional things. If young people are going to emulate anyone it's going to be the actors, not the characters. So lame.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I read something a while ago in the papers where that show "7th heaven" was being criticised for its drug use in episodes etc & i couldnt believe it. You wont find a "cleaner" show than 7th heaven. So i guess its not really suprising that h&a is being criticised. It still sux though.

The only teenagers who go and copy exactly what they see on tv programmes are those who have bad parents. Parents who have not taught their children how to distinguish fantasy from reality, and who have not bothered to educate their kids themselves on the dangers of drugs.

People who have had a decent enough upbringing will not need to use a soap to help them make important life decisions. Soaps are for fun and entertainment, they have never been intended as an education tool. :huh:

Parents who rely on television to instill morals and values in their children, instead of bothering to do it themselves, should never have become parents in the first place. :angry:

ok we see that they take drugs. but we also see the reaction of it!

Kiraty - the hospital

Maddie - the hospital (sp?)

and felix, didnt he die or am I waaay wrong? :P

and Alex was taken with steroids!

and Kim, he'll get better too!

The only teenagers who go and copy exactly what they see on tv programmes are those who have bad parents. Parents who have not taught their children how to distinguish fantasy from reality, and who have not bothered to educate their kids themselves on the dangers of drugs.

People who have had a decent enough upbringing will not need to use a soap to help them make important life decisions.  Soaps are for fun and entertainment, they have never been intended as an education tool.  :huh:

Parents who rely on television to instill morals and values in their children, instead of bothering to do it themselves, should never have become parents in the first place.  :angry:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Exactly.

It's more than that though... I think it becomes that people who have kids that take drugs are looking for blame, and the fact that Home And Away depicted drugs is a good enough reason to use it as an excuse. I know for one that Crystal Meth is crazy **** becuase of its depiction on Home And Away. I don't go near drugs anyway. but that is one I'd never heard of, but I now know its bad ****!

There was a recent discussion on "Granada Reports" about Crystal Meth. My initial reaction, before listening to what they had to say was, in effect: Bad Sh!t. Why? Because I watch Home and Away. The actual report told of how easy it was to make and this could be done from household objects and therefore, could be an attractive prospect. It wasn't to me, because I have seen the devastating fictional effects it had on my fave soap.

This is coming from an "impressionable teenager".

As i love drugs and all i shouldnt have a problem seeing it on TV but not on home and away. Hmm its the same as showing it on playskool- they are both watched by kids. But i don't know. I dont know if many of the H@A actors are users.. but man ive seen toady pilling off his head and seen holly valance peaking as well. The neighbours cast are all recreational users hardcore!!!!

Archived