I Never Meant To Say Goodbye

Guest claire_louise

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's the next chapter guys! More comments would be great - special thanks to those who've commented already, I really appreciate it. :D

Chapter Six

The first thing that Kane was aware of as he came round in hospital was a sharp, twisting pain that ran all the way down his left arm. He felt groggy and disoriented, the insides of his mouth and throat were like sand paper and he was startled to find that a feeling not dissimilar to fear was beginning to gnaw its way through his defences. Kane wasn’t a man who was easily afraid; he had had to learn from a young age how to take care of himself. But now, in an unfamiliar bed, surrounded by strange noises and smells, and all he wanted was for Kirsty to be there.

“Ah, you’re awake,†said a female voice.

Kane searched through bleary eyes for the source of the voice, grasping on to a faint hope that it might belong to his wife, but as his vision became clearer he realised with bitter disappointment that it was just a nurse standing by his bed.

“What am I doing here?†he asked, trying not to sound as worried as he felt.

“It’s ok, you’ve been injured, but you’re going to be fine,†said the nurse, sounding far away despite being right next to him. “You had to have an operation, that’s why things probably seem a bit foggy just now.â€

“An operation? What for?â€

“Er…well…there was a bit of an incident at the prison last night. Don’t you remember at all?â€

Kane’s forehead wrinkled in concentration as he searched desperately through the blank records of his mind. Suddenly he struck on an image – a knife, coming straight towards him, and the livid face of a stranger – but, as he struggled to hang on to them, the edges of the memory faded into black.

“I…some guy had a knife…â€

The nurse nodded sombrely.

“You were stabbed in the arm.â€

Kane felt his heart flutter and began to shake as the realisation hit home.

“I want to speak to my wife,†he stuttered. “I usually ring her…she’ll be worried.â€

“It’s ok. Someone from the prison contacted her last night. She wanted to come straight away but they convinced her to wait until morning,†the nurse explained.

Kane tried to shake his head but his brain seemed to rattle painfully against his skull.

“No, she’s out of town, I don’t want her to come all the way back. Please, I have to talk to her…â€

“Alright,†said the nurse, placing a reassuring hand on his shoulder. “I’ll bring you a phone.â€

“Kane, is that you?†Kirsty said frantically as the nurse put her husband on the line.

“Yeah, babe, it’s me,†came Kane’s hoarse reply.

Sweet relief flowed between them at hearing each other’s voices. Kirsty gripped the phone so hard her fingers ached; it was the closest she could get to holding her husband.

“Kirst, are you there?†Kane asked, anxious at the silence on the other end of the phone.

“Yeah…I…†Kirsty struggled to form a sentence as her throat began to convulse with sobs.

“Hey, babe, don’t cry,†Kane said soothingly. “I’m fine, everything’s going to be ok.â€

“I…I thought you were…â€

She couldn’t bring herself to finish the sentence. After the nightmare she had had the previous night, she’d been sure the prison guard was ringing to tell her Kane was dead.

“Sshhh, it’s ok,†Kane repeated. “I’m not going anywhere. You can’t get rid of me that easily.â€

“But what happened?†she asked, in between taking deep, calming breaths. “Did you get in a fight?â€

“No. Well, not exactly…â€

“Kane,†Kirsty said warningly. She had told him time and time again not to let his temper get the better of him while he was inside.

“No, honestly, Kirst, it wasn’t my fault,†said Kane, who had since begun to remember more details of the events that had taken place. “I was literally minding my own business, just like you’re always telling me to, and the next thing I know some dude who’s obviously off his face on something rocks up and starts giving me grief, making comments about you,†Kane said grimly, remembering how angry he had been at the time.

“So you hit him?†Kirsty asked, knowing how sensitive Kane was about protecting her honour.

“No. Not that I didn’t want to, but I just told him to rack off and then the headcase pulls a knife on me! So I tried to get out of the way and he tried to stop me and…well, I came off worst. But they say I’ll be up and about in no time.â€

Kirsty sighed, not sure whether to be relieved or horrified. It was a dilemma that had haunted her ever since Kane had gone away; she was anxious that he didn’t retaliate to people like that but frightened for what would happen if he didn’t.

“Well, I rang the bus company and they’re trying to get me on the next trip to Melbourne,†she told him.

“What? No, Kirst, you can’t!â€

“Why?†Kirsty asked, her brow furrowing in confusion.

“You can’t come all the way back; you’ve only just got there.â€

“But…â€

“Listen, baby, I know you want to come, and I want to see you, too, but I really need you to stay where you are right now.â€

“No. No way, Kane, I’m coming back.â€

“But it’s just not practical…â€

“Kane!†Kirsty protested, unable to believe how obstinate he was being. “You got stabbed last night and you’re telling me to stay where I am?!â€

“Think about it, Kirst. It makes sense. For a start, we can’t afford the bus ticket. And more importantly, I need you there so you can work on getting me back where I belong – with you.â€

Kirsty paused. She wanted to see her husband more than anything in the world; she had been so terrified of losing him that until she actually set eyes on him she wouldn’t quite believe that he was really ok. But, as much as she didn’t want to admit it, he had a point.

“I want to speak to your doctor. I want him to tell me that you’re really alright,†she said eventually, not willing to concede easily.

“I’ll ask him to give you a call.â€

Thankful that Kane couldn’t see her to make fun, Kirsty stuck out her bottom lip and pouted. She wasn’t happy about this and fully intended to sulk, for all the good it would do her.

“Ok,†she gave in. “Have it your way.â€

Archived