I Never Meant To Say Goodbye

Guest claire_louise

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Aww Lozza, that's such a lovely thing to say! :blush::D You're all so sweet. Here's another chap to keep you going...

Chapter Nine

As soon as Kirsty got back to Irene’s that evening, she telephoned the hospital and told the nurse who answered that she urgently needed to speak to her husband. When Kane came on the line his voice was filled with concern.

“Kirst?â€

“Hey babe, how are you feeling?â€

“Never mind me; what’s happened? The nurse said it was urgent.â€

“Nothing’s happened. Well, nothing bad. I’ve been to see your mum.â€

“Yeah?†he said, sounding dubious. “Get any sense out of her?â€

“Actually, I think I might’ve. I can’t be sure, but I think I might know where Scott’s working.â€

“Serious? My mum told you that?â€

“In a round about sort of way. I don’t want you to get your hopes up,†she said, despite the fact she had done exactly the same thing herself, “but it sounds like a lead.â€

“Jeez, I can’t believe the old girl actually came through. You did great, babe,†he said, sounding more upbeat and optimistic than he had in months.

Kirsty smiled. It was stupid, but she felt proud knowing that she’d pleased him.

“Well the place she told me about is a construction site not far from here, so I thought I’d go check it out,†she said.

“By yourself? No way.â€

“But I can go there now, it’s practically just down the street,†Kirsty protested. “It’s a waste of time if I have to come back again.â€

“Kirst, it’s been five years, we can wait one more day. Go back to Irene’s and you can go to the site when there’s someone with you. Preferably someone who can look after themselves, if you know what I mean.â€

“Like who? I can hardly see my dad volunteering.â€

“I dunno, there must be someone…â€

“I suppose I could try Robbie.â€

Kane snorted with laughter.

“Kirst, I said someone who could look after themselves, not someone who can’t see his own feet without his glasses on. You’d be better off taking Tash,†he said.

“Ok, well…what about Kim?â€

“Kim with the muscles? Yeah, I’d say he’d be a pretty good choice. Provided he remembers to keep his shirt on.â€

“Kane, he’s not that bad.â€

“Kidding, babe. Ok, ask him. I have to go; there’s a nurse hanging around with a thermometer and I’m scared what she’s gonna do with it if I don’t hurry up.â€

“Alright. I love you,†said Kirsty, giggling. For once, she actually felt light-hearted and hopeful about the future.

“I love you too.â€

“Everything all right, dahl?†asked Irene chirpily as Kirsty replaced the receiver.

Kirsty nodded.

“Is Kim home?†she asked, trying to sound as nonchalant as possible. She hadn’t told Irene where she’d been that day and didn’t want word to get out until she had something concrete to go on.

“Kim? No, he’s gone to the movies with his latest dolly bird.â€

“I didn’t know he had a girlfriend?â€

“He doesn’t,†said Irene and, seeing Kirsty flash her a perplexed look, added, “Let’s just say he’s got some wild oats and he ain’t too shy about sowing ’em.â€

“Didn’t he have a thing with Hayley a while ago?†Kirsty asked, but before Irene had a chance to respond they were interrupted by a knock at the door.

“Strewth, who’s that at this time?†said Irene, her hand going instinctively to her hair, which was in rollers.

“It’s ok, I’ll get it,†said Kirsty, who was closer anyway.

Her heart plummeted into her stomach like a stone in the sea when she set eyes on the person on the other side of the door. The woman was slightly shorter than her, with piercing blue eyes and blonde hair cut into a stylish bob. She was well dressed in tight jeans, black high-heeled boots and a black shirt. When she smiled, albeit tentatively, her cheeks dimpled, giving her a baby-faced appearance despite her grown-up image.

“Hey, sis,†she said.

Kirsty didn’t know what to say, which was just as well because she didn’t think she could have spoken a word. There was a lump in her throat the size of a football and, for what felt like the hundredth time in the past few days, she felt tears spring to her eyes. Her twin sister looked so grown up; they had shared a womb together and yet now she hardly recognised her.

“Jade?†she eventually managed to say, her voice coming out in a hoarse whisper.

“You haven’t forgotten me, then,†she said with a wry smile.

Knowing that whatever she said wouldn’t be enough, Kirsty simply shook her head, the tears flowing freely now.

“You look so…†she began, gesturing to her sister’s clothes.

“Different?†Jade supplied.

“I was going to say sophisticated.â€

Jade shrugged.

“I’m still me.â€

“Kirsty, love, who is it?†Irene called, popping up behind her. When she saw Jade her jaw dropped and then rose again into an ecstatic smile.

“Hello, stranger! What are you doing back here? Bright lights of LA not bright enough for ya?â€

“LA?†Kirsty repeated in a puzzled voice.

“Blimey, girlie, you’ve still got a lot to catch up on,†Irene said with a snort of laughter. “Come on in, Jade, sweetheart; I was just about to make a cuppa.â€

Archived