**Sally And Jesse Fanfic**

Guest WYN100

**PART 12**

Scott eyed the Johnson party with increasing suspicion and a growing element of distaste as they filed one by one onto the Blackslun. Grey-suited, reserved, one might even say surly, they boarded the ship, each carrying a bag or attache case, and it was on those bags that Scott’s eyes lingered longest. His suspicions about the men were increasing steadily with every trip they ordered and undertook, but he needed hard evidence, and without Alf or Kane to split the duties, that was proving difficult.

Once aboard, the men as ever deposited the luggage in the central holding area and gathered at the front consuming the modest but identically regular refreshment order of chilled Chardonnay and roast beef sandwiches. Standing at the wheel as they entered open water, Scott was by now so familiar with their chosen route he slipped the controls into cruise mode. The men seemed temporarily distracted by an attractive female water-skier making regular loops round the port side of the boat, so Scott decided to seize the moment … keeping one eye VERY firmly on the clients, he headed towards the baggage hold….

Barry Hyde had quickly regretted his generosity in offering to give Robbie and Tasha a lift in his car as he left the school building behind. Some people -he thought grimly - may find Robbie's non-stop line in semi-comedic banter quite fetching - charming even -but after more than 2 minutes of exposure . the headmaster was finding the routine wearing to say the least, "Mr Hunter, may I remind you that even though I've been good enough to offer you transport in my car, jokes about how your history teacher is the world's only living survivor of the Stone Age are DECIDEDLY inappropriate.!" "Sorry Sir.." In fairness to Robbie, he managed to remain looking sheepish for all of around 30 seconds, while Tasha took the chance to chime in "Sir, when you know for sure it's really them, do you think Robbie and I should be ready to call police reinforcements....? Barry rolled his eyes to ths heavens -"I hardly expect this to be like an episode of Miami Vice Miss Andrews " he said, in a voice betraying his threadbare stock of patience. But as he spoke, a stab of anguish jolted his senses. He wanted this whole exam thing sorted - and sorted as quickly as possible. So - he hoped today's plan of confronting Robbie's suspect would pay dividends. From somewhere a voice pierced his cloud of worry,.. "Miami what, sir ?" Hyde groaned - now he WAS starting to feel old......

. Leon had grown increasingly curious as to why Henry had burst into his afternoon demanding what was , in effect, an alibi . But for what, and why ?... Leon though was basically a philosophical kind of person, who both craved and enjoyed a quiet life. The internet and computer games were enough to keep him happy, but Henry's intervention and arrival scarcely made for the kind of relaxed afternoon he'd had in mind. His visitor had positioned himself by the big bay window overlooking the road outside, but to all intents the glass may as well have been the bars of a cage and Henry a wild animal. He stood, biting the nail of his right forefinger, then trod edgily from one end of the glass to the other before returning to his original position and resuming work on the unfortunate fingernail. He'd spoken barely half a dozen words since his intrusive arrival an hour earlier, and Leon had been studying him keenly. He'd noticed in particular how Henry flinched and paled when an ambulance drove past, and while he knew better than to ask any really probing questions, he paused at level 3 of Tomb Raider, turned and asked "Is everything alright Henry ?" That mild - and general question nonetheless unleashed the simmering uneasiness in his classmate.

Turning away from the magnetic lure of the window, he snapped "Yes -why shouldn't it be ? What are you trying to say, anyway ? You just remember what I said about being with you all day and just SHUT UP -right ?!" Leon held up the palms of both hands in a non-conflict gesture , saying "Fine - fine - no sweat..just wondering ..!" He returned to Lara Croft, but continued watching Henry from the side of his eye -and there was certainly more to see. Henry had spotted a police car heading down the road, and was able to recognize Peter Baker as the driver. He stepped quickly to one side of the frame, reckoning that to be the ideal place to safely watch the car go past. But - within a 20 second period that sent a bead of cold perspiration trickling down his spine and his heart begin to pump at a furious pace, the car drew up outside and the driver start heading up the garden path . With mounting dread, Henry's paralysed brain managed to register the fact -- Peter Baker was heading towards Leon's house

Josie was on the defensive – a position she never liked to occupy. It had been just over six months since she’d left Summer Bay after everything had turned sour –and slowly but surely she was beginning to build a new life . She’d been delighted to score a job as a fashion writer on a glossy ladies magazine – lived in a one bedroomed flat in the corner of the new waterside development – and though there was currently no man on the scene, she had plenty of diversions to occupy her non-work time, and anyway, after the whole Jesse/Mark “non-wedding†saga, she wasn’t about to dive in and get her fingers burnt for a second time for a LONG time to come.

And then the calls had started – from the “sleeping partner†at Noah’s bar. That was an issue she’d been very glad to put behind her, but now it was forcing its way back, like the sun through hazy clouds in a late autumn dawn. Ii had all begun one Wednesday evening as she’d placed her mushroom omelette and glass of chilled Rioja on a tray ready to squat before the TV and “Desperate Housewives “ when the phone had rung – and now , many weeks later, she was having to rake over the subject yet again.

“ How many times have I got to tell you, I don’t KNOW why they’re asking questions ! No, YOU listen – this is no longer my problem- Summer Bay is a part of my life I’m successfully eradicating from my memory !â€

She paused for a moment, listened, then gave a visible start "Now look - that whole Dan Baker thing is a completely separate issue. Now wait, you can’t possibly mean that ……well in that case we’d better BOTH hope it doesn’t happen, hadn’t we !….â€

She clicked the phone off angrily and threw it down onto the sofa…she was beginning to wish that “sleeping†partner would do a lot MORE sleeping and a lot LESS phoning. It was looking distinctly possible that you could keep Summer Bay out of the girl……….but you couldn’t keep the girl out of Summer Bay….

Flynn was overseeing final preparations for Ric’s surgery. Time was obviously of the essence, and soon they’d be sending someone to the ward to collect and being him for the anaesthetic. Flynn had held his breath while Sally and Jesse had weighed up whether or not to give their permission, and while he knew their authority to actually give it was a little tenuous, he was glad they had. He’d become increasingly close to the boy during his time at the caravan park, and while he was very curious to know how and why the accident had actually happened, he knew what had to be done before any of that could be looked into.

He ran through his mental checklist of pre-surgery essentials, and had almost completed it when Sandra Malone appeared at the door..

“Doctor Saunders, I…..â€

“Sandra it’ll REALLY have to wait this time, I’m very..â€

but she persisted, her face screwed up with embarassment,â€Doctor, I REALLY think you’ll need to come…†Flynn looked at her curiously. There was genuine awkwardness in her eyes, and Flynn was fairly certain she wouldn’t be interrupting at such a crucial moment without an extremely good reason. He strode across to the door and followed her down to the ward reception.

“Ah doctor – I hear you’re contemplating some risky surgery on Eric Daulby ? Well I’m here to tell you to forget that idea IMMEDIATELY – and unlike Sally Fletcher and Jesse McGregor, I think you’ll find I have the authority to make such a decision !â€

Flynn gaped….the voice belonged to Tony Richards, who was defiantly flourishing a brown envelope……

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:) HI ! - hope it's not unlucky 13 !! :o - please do tell me when u think I should stop - don't want to become boring !! :blush: lol

**PART 13**

Scott bent low over the items in the baggage hold, his fingers working quickly as he aimed to make this gamble produce an outcome that could confirm his dark and perpetually growing suspicions about the Johnson party,

The bags in which he was most interested had been stored - perhaps tellingly - well behind the men’s attache cases, making his job considerably harder. He was, after all only a few yards away from the group of men, and as he rummaged, his ear remained firmly trained on the regular low hum of conversation just outside. Scott reflected ruefully that if just one of Kane or Alf had been with him to provide a distraction, the whole thing would have been SO much easier. He knew his time was limited and it was imperative not to create a crash that would alert the men.

So, it was with a small thrill of triumph that he finally disengaged the last briefcase to reveal the large green and beige cloth bags – knotted at the top with their string-pulls, but clearly containing bulky objects – he reached his hand out – “Uh – Mr Hunter ….†Scott spun round, bumping his head on the low beam as he did so and sending two or three of the briefcases into a confused jumble at his side. Standing at the opening of the hold was the man who always booked the trips under the Johnson name, eyeing Scott with a cold, even stare.

“Oh – ah – um – I was just looking for the …toolkit ! I couldn’t lay my hand on it and thought. Um … I may have left it in there before you dropped the cases …but ..it..doesn’t matter for now.â€

Whether Mr Johnson accepted Scott’s garbled impromptu explanation wasn’t immediately clear. “I see. Shall I help you replace the luggage ?†Scott nodded his assent an soon the two were heading together back to the front of the craft. As Scott turned to re-enter the cockpit, Johnson drew a significant step closer to him, and in a tone that wouldn’t have been out of place in an ice-cube tray intoned “Mr Hunter, when I book with you for these trips, your sales pitch promises complete confidentiality, if I’m right ? That’s something my colleagues and I take seriously – VERY seriously., you understand ?†He returned to join the other men at the front of the boat, leaving Scott pondering on how he was an extremely long way from home – outnumbered 7 to 1 by some much less than savoury company – and much less sure than he had been about what their next move might actually be………………..

Tony Richards had thought quickly and impetuously after Kim Hyde’s car had drawn up alongside him during his flight from the surf club area. Kim, having finished his shift at the bar, had spotted the envelope which an alcohol-fuelled Richards had carelessly left at his table, and decided to take it with him to keep it safe as he headed for home. It had been purely by chance that while heading for the beach house he’d observed the man’s erratic progress along the road and hailed him to pass the envelope over. During their brief exchange, a shifty-looking Richards had asked whether Kim had known what the story was with the ambulance that had sped away from the seafront minutes before. After being told the little Kim had picked up on the bar grapevine about Ric’s accident, an immediate change had come over the man. Leaving Kim almost in mid-sentence, he’d swung around, hailed a passing cab and headed for the hospital. Money had always been Richards’ driving motivation, and on hearing there was a chance Ric’s proposed surgery could possibly prove fatal, he knew that would mean him kissing the trust fund dollars a permanent goodbye. Flynn’s bewilderment at his bombshell demand was now turning to anger. “Mr Richards, do you realize what you’re asking ? With every minute that Ric DOESN’T get this surgery, his problems are increasing. The restricted bloodflow could risk some brain damage, kidney problems, and all kinds of circulatory difficulties…â€

“But he won’t die….â€

“Well…that would be very unlikely…â€

“But with that surgery he could…?â€

“There is a 50 per cent plus risk, yes, but…â€

“No buts – it’s no surgery !â€

Flynn breathed hard through his nose – he didn’t consider this over yet – not by a long chalk.

Dan knew that Leah would be expecting him back by now, but that would just have to wait. His mind was already churning after one gruelling phone-call already today, but one more couldn’t be delayed any longer. The arced umbrella of tree branches above him was lending a chill to the air as the afternoon sun was slowly filtered out. A slight shiver passed across him as he breathed deeply and punched the number into the phone.

“Yes it’s me…look, no wait – I was JUST going to ask for a little more TIME !â€

The voice at the other end had a dismissive tone as short, sharp words instantly dissolved Dan’s intention to remain calm and casual. The wearing effect of the day and the mounting wall of problems closing in around him immediately dashed any hope of a measured response – “look, how in the hell do you think I’m going to manage that – you think I’m some kind of MIRACLE worker or something ?†The line went dead as Dan felt a huge and heavy slab of anxiety rising in his midriff. He sank down upon a nearby treestump from where his resonant sigh sent adjoining leaves parting in a mini-cascade. Somewhere above the maze of overhanging tree-branches, the sun vanished behind a menacing grey cloud…..

Peter Baker had been standing on the doorstep for approaching ten minutes – his varied symphony of knocking and ringing had failed to produce an answer, and he was becoming increasingly aggravated. Not because of the lack of response, but because Senior Constable Harper- who lived nearby- had radioed to tell him he’d happened to see Henry going in as he’d returned home earlier – AND – the violently squirming curtains and theatrically hushed conversations he’d heard and seen both at and through the main bay window had long since informed him that the room was full of at least two teenage boys pretending unsuccessfully to be both silent and invisible.

Peter shepherded together his dwindling stock of patience, propelled his increasingly raw knuckles once again against the doorframe and called clearly but with some visible annoyance “Can you please OPEN the door ? It’s detective Baker- I need you to let me IN !†After another wait, he sighed in exasperation and semi-turned before finally, and elaborately, the door creaked open. Behind it was revealed a red-cheeked and dishevelled looking Leon.

“ Hi – Leon, is it ? Good to meet you – at last !! Now – I need to speak to Henry Hunter – he is here ?â€

“Er –No Detective.†came the leaden and wholly unconvincing reply. Peter rolled his eyes to the sky – some days just weren’t meant to be easy – and questions were forming in his mind by the minute…

Barry Hyde collected himself before knocking at the door, He gave one last look over his shoulder to reassure himself that Robbie and Tasha weren’t erecting roadblocks or sending for riot police , then tapped three times sharply at the smartly decorated white wood-panelled door at the top of four stone steps in one of the smarter outskirts of Summer Bay. The door-opener clearly didn’t favour Leon’s snail’s pace in such matters, but was soon to develop another of his characteristics – as Barry would observe at first hand. The door swung back to reveal – Lisa Rogers, classmate of the two watching spellbound from the car – but far better known as daughter of “Mr†Rogers, a man for whom life seemed to offer just the one challenge – fitting as many complaints as possible into each minute of the day.

“Ah, good afternoon Lisa – is your father in ?†A simple enough question, but besides finding its one word answer too problematic , it also appeared to have the effect of rooting her to the spot, flushing her cheeks a deep shade of crimson and sending her swaying back and forwards on her feet as if imitating the motion of a rocking horse. Finally via a small miracle she recovered the power of speech, and with a dart of concern across her features replied “Um – no sir, he’s not….definitely not…..†Before Barry could respond, a voice from further back in the house added another new slant to proceedings ..

“LISA – who’s at the door ? Remember what I told…†As his face appeared around the door – the sight of Hyde didn’t induce the state of paralysed horror evident in his daughter- more an immediate aggravation.

“Oh – Mr Hyde – I don’t believe we’d arranged this…?

“Ah no Mr Rogers, but it is on as matter of some importance- do you think it would be possible for me to come in …?â€

By this stage, if Robbie and Tasha had been able to set up deck chairs on the top step to observe proceedings, they’d already have been beginning a picnic, so far from the car had they steadily wandered since the drama had begun to play itself out. They awaited developments with bated breath…

As the crucial seconds of discussion about Ric’s surgery ticked away outside – Kit and Matilda both sat bolt upright in their waiting room seats as the door flew open and Beth made her way hastily in. She’d been having lunch with Irene, but was now keen for more details on the accident.

“Sweethearts I not long ago heard !! How are YOU both ?†They both nodded quickly as if to confirm that the injured party was the only priority, but both gave her a genuine hug of welcome. Beth continued…â€What an awful thing…. Off his bike…..but I don’t altogether understand about you two being there at the time – in a Taxi I heard ? Why was that, where were you off to ? Kit and Matty exchanged a guilty looking glance and plunged in together –

“Yabbie Creek shoppi…â€

“Cinema for Charlie an…..â€

They immediately swapped guilty glances, while being immediately aware that Beth was examining them both with one of her speciality sceptical stares. She KNEW her girls alright, and something definitely WASN’T what it seemed… But – a flurry of activity in the corridor spared them an on-the-spot interrogation and at that moment Sandra Malone pushed one of the doors ajar and said “You two should probably know – I think something’s happening with Ric Daulby. The two girls and Beth needed no second bidding as they headed for the door….something important definitely seemed afoot…

Archived