**Sally And Jesse Fanfic**

Guest WYN100

:) Thanx :) - I'll beleve u about the dragging - but ok then - don't say u weren't warned !! lol >>

**PART 8**

Two minds in a state of upheaval were heading to the surf club that afternoon. Henry was turning over a scalding cauldron of anger , concern, hurt, and confusion – while a dusting of revenge-desire gave the cocktail an added kick.

He squatted down on the sea-facing wall, slashed at the grass around him with a stick- and found time to reflect just how much he CARED for his little sister.

That was a feeling that ALMOST surprised him – but very soon he’d resumed his mental journey down the spiky track of hostility. There was SO much to blame that guy for – trashing the surf club that had landed HIM so close to being locked away – Robbie standing on Daulby’s insulin needle in the bush and all the trauma that caused – and now his 15 year old sister facing pregnancy –Henry flung the stick far out onto the beach then swung decisively off the wall and stood up straight. He was sick of being told to turn the other cheek – this time “Ric†was going to pay !

If he’d only known it, the subject of Henry’s bitter hostility was at that moment just a minute or two away from the surf club himself. The confrontation with Tony Richards had continued to churn around in his mind, and with the added worry of Sally’s health situation he was desperate to clear his head so thought he’d cycle down and see if anyone was around for a game of pool. As he pumped all his energy into mounting the hill between the caravan park and the beach area he reflected how important it was that as few people as possible found out about Richards and his grubby little intentions. He’d NEVER been so happy as he currently was – life with Sally and Jesse – Matilda who he cared about so much – doing not bad at school – those and more were all things worth keeping – and keep them he WOULD. He reached the surf club, chained his bike to the post , and went inside --- unaware that his movements were the subject of considerable interest…

Hayley’s thoughts were thrashing around at such high speed that the forces of logic would have needed a CS Spray and several yards of long rope to have a chance of restraining them. She’d shown Peter in, and not considering for a moment that he couldn’t have read her mind on the subject of the “sleeping partnerâ€, she plunged into narrative – all sharpened by the thought in the back of her mind that it couldn’t be too much longer before Dan himself arrived to muddy the picture even further.

“Well you see Peter how it happened was this – I was on my own at the bar having a drink – and you know how sometimes you hear – even though I wasn’t eavesdropping of course – well anyway – this one guy was on his cellphone and he started talking about someone who’d been in the Bay for a year – which of course he has- about having a business interest already- that of course could sort of be the diner, what with Leah and everything – about things being OK police-wise – that of course would be you – and something about the school which I admittedly didn’t hear all that well – “

Peter held his hand up for her to stop “Whoa Haylez –time out please !! Not sure I’m getting the sense of this …â€

She carried on “Well that’s how I realized it must be DAN – it just all fits …â€

She tailed off as she registered the blank look on Peter’s face “Hayley – crossed wires here I think – its certainly NOT Dan we’re looking into in connection with this…â€

“Oh – then who---and why…?â€

“Yes Pete… who…and WHAT in the heck’s going on.?†– a voice from the doorway cut across them –Dan was standing with an expression registering confusion and no little annoyance..

Favouring the happy lunchtime crowd around him with another of his charmless scowls, Tony Richards gripped hard around his tumbler of double whisky, and ,leaning his head back, demolished it in one greedy gulp. He’d done exactly the same with five previously since arriving in Noah’s bar, and Kim Hyde – doing a fill-in shift behind the bar – was beginning to eye him with great meaning. His standard question from the barmens’ training manual of “ don’t you think you’ve had enough , sir ?â€, had been met with the kind of forceful reply you’d never be at risk of hearing from the pulpit of Summer Bay Church, but her resolved to keep the keenest of eyes upon that least pleasant of customers’ alcohol intake from here on in

Kim though was to be saved any further worry on that score.

Tony Richards had been nursing both hurt pride and a seemingly unquenchable headache since being clouted in the side of the face by Ric the previous day, but beneath the red mist lay – a whisky glass and more red mist where Richards was concerned. That young hoon was NOT going to get away with thumping him like that, that was for sure, He’d given it a lot of thought, and had descended into further bouts of inner fury by seeing through the bar’s side window just 5 minutes previously the sight of Ric securing his bike and heading into the games side of the building. Richards’s self-indulgently violent side seemed by now to have completely lost the bigger picture mentality that this was the young “relative†that he was planning to shamelessly exploit to the tune of thousands of dollars. As if suddenly struck by a thought, he rose a little unsteadily and swayed his way out, stopping only to bestow another trademark scowl on Kim as he left – Kim’s day it has to be said was scarcely ruined either by the scowl or the departure. Richards was – it seemed --- a man on a mission…

Barry Hyde felt strangely nervous and awkward when shown into Sally’s room at the hospital. He’d been shocked to hear of Donald’s accident, but the spiralling developments concerning the “exam claims†against the school in the press were clearly causing him great concern. However, whether it was the “Headmaster†tag on their desk at the school or merely coming from the same generation, it had to be said tact and diplomacy when dealing with colleagues and friends over more general matters – were not qualities that either he or Donald Fisher tended to display in abundance.

“You see, Sally2 he was saying, “I think it shows amply how those†anger issues†of Jesse’s that we’ve all talked about are far from being over. Sally coloured a little, prepared to deliver a stinging response to Barry but remembering in the nick of time her own health issues, instead breathed long and hard and attempted to change the subject to one which, while serious may prove less stressful on her. Barry was evasive at first and asked “What news of Donald, by the wayâ€

Sally replied mutedly that he’d now been in surgery for over 12 hours and no-one really seemed to know. That subject was effectively by-passed the, leaving Barry to go for broke and saying “Of course, under normal circumstances I wouldn’t have bothered you with this while you’re in hospital, but with that Dreadful man Anthony threatening to publish more I felt I simply had to move it along, while…†he halted, feeling his mouth go a little dry “I think you’ll see when you read the nub of these ridiculous allegations, just why – um – you needed to see them personally..,,,†Even the typically yellowish light of a hospital room couldn’t mask Mr Hyde turning one shade paler…

It was a largely quiet taxi that was driving Kit and Matilda to a hastily-arranged appointment at the hospital. The two girls were both largely silent after agreeing it would be better to talk things through with Flynn rather than rely on a only hazardously accurate pregnancy test- and the driver was one of those you smile at on entering the cab only to get zero feedback and nothing to come but a gruff request for the final fare at the other end.

Kit though again felt it her responsibility to up the atmosphere as the journey to the hospital got underway in earnest. “Like the way I put Mum off the scent ?†–she tried gamely “A Sisterspree in Yabbie Creek and no mothers allowed ! Tell you what, we’ll have to do just that – maybe later on ? What do you say ? I could buy you a lipstick- or a top – or both ? How about it ?â€

Matty hadn’t been listening to any great extent, even at the start, but as the car picked up pace heading down the gradient – Kit, from her position directly behind the driver, couldn’t help but start with shock as a scream from her left and cries of “stop the cab!!†heralded what were effectively her sister’s first utterances since they’d left

Left 10 minutes earlier. “What- why… ?†– but those sort of questions were unlikely to detain Matilda who was poised to exit the cab the second it had stopped.. As the conversationally challenged cab driver applied the spongy-sounding brakes at the foot of the hill, Matty threw open her door and rushed towards the slumped form she’d spotted from at least half-way down the hill – it was Ric- his bike wheel badly buckled and lying next to him- but more alarmingly, blood was beginning to trickle out from under his safety helmet where there was clear evidence of a severe bump having badly dented the solid red white and blue coloured structure on the outside.

As cars continued to flash past them on the main artery and the taximan observed their movement with a detatched air ,Matilda swivelled round from Ric and bawled “Call an ambulance or something you stupid man…!!†across at him – and her raw concern, etched over Ric’s pallid and inanimate features, somehow seemed to create a sharply tense virtual silence even over the traffic’s routinely impersonal roar……

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

**PART 9 **

Dan had taken some convincing. Seeing your brother and your other half’s best friend leap with what appeared to be a severe guilt overdose once he’d stepped through the already open door and announced his presence was enough to generate the doubt gremlins in even the stoutest-spirited guy . Hearing his own name the way he had fanned those flames to crisis –point.

But – having listened to what they both explained , he became more placated.

Having reassured Hyley that he most definitely was NOT the shadowy “ sleeping partnerâ€, he did however notice just how quickly Peter backed off from discussing what HE’D arrived there for. â€Well, I’d better be heading back to the office†he’d mumbled , shrugging off Dan’s “Well don’t let ME stop you “ protestations with some flimsy reassurances about how “it’ll keep†and some over-forced and unconvincing laughter about Hayley’s mistake. She too appeared baffled over his sudden retreat, but with a shrug of the shoulders turned to Dan and said “ Ah well, I guess it’s been a wasted journey, sorry about that ! The least I can do is to get you a coffee though ! “

It was now Dan’s turn to look a little uncomfortable. His height seemed to lend him an even more awkward appearance as he moved awkwardly from one foot to another. “Thanks Haylz..†he said through semi-closed lips “but while I may not be your mysterious partner, there IS a very big favour I was hoping I could ask you….†She turned, puzzled but intrigued…

Barry Hyde was beginning to reconsider the wisdom of his visit to Sally’s hospital bedside. Having blundered the first steps of his carefully-choreographed running order by heading down the cul-de-sac of attacking Jesse, the latest in the potential school exam scandal timebomb was likely to prove anything but easy. “So you see Sally, the chief accusation being levelled is favouritism in assessing pupi;s’ coursework and using that to shape a better projected grade in the HSC and all that implies,â€

Sally looked suitably serious â€Wow, and doing that could well bump one student closer to Uni than a more deserving case ! Does this latest anonymous whatsit-thingy name which staff or students are SUPPOSEDLY involved in this so we can nail it down a little further ? Barry gave a dry, nervous little cough, and ran his finger round the inside of his shirt collar. Was it just him, or was this room becoming uncomfortably warm? Sally noticed his discomfiture and prompted “Well – Barry ?…â€

“Well you see Sally….†– his voice was becoming a little hoarse---“It’s all nonsense of course – and we’ll prove it to be so, naturally – but the staff member mentioned is actually…YOU…â€

“WHAT ?? Sally’s cry of disbelieving indignation stood a good chance of being heard at the soft drinks machine in Reception – 3 floors down and on the other side of the building. Barry Hyde’s throbbing eardrums were indeed ready to pay testimony to its piercing tonal qualities. He sought to pour oil on troubled waters “As I said Sally it goes without saying it’s not to be BELIEVED – but time’s against us if we’re to stem the flow of bad publicity….â€

Favouring a steely, measured tone as opposed to the sinus-clearing blast of her previous utterance, Sally cut in “OK then – so WHO is this student that’s mentioned as having benefited ? Hyde’s face was by now glowing pink and isolated beads of perspiration had become visible on his brow as he said “ um – well, there’s a story attatched to that too….†The atmosphere in the small hospital room seemed to grow progressively more stifling by the minute…

Henry stood between two trees on the opposite side of the road, his eyes gaping and mouth jutted open. Across the carriageway he could see a taxi pulling up onto the grass verge to let an ambulance have adequate room to squeeze past. He could see Matilda – clearly in tears – with Kit’s arm around her – and, most starkly of all – two medical staff slowly lifting a stretcher . Eerily, the flow of cross-traffic seemed to halt at that precise moment and he could see the face of Ric, eyes closed, propped on the pillow before it was hoisted into the back door of the vehicle. Heart pumping Henry – still unnoticed- gazed transfixed for a few more seconds before turning and sprinting back through the trees to a small estate of houses lying at the far end. He leapt the side wall into the garden of the second house along, and hurtled up a small set of steps adjoining the side wall. Breathing heavily he hammered on the side door, and almost collapsed through it as it was answered by Leon, a short , studious boy in Henry’s year at school. Henry generally only spoke to him when he wanted help with a maths assignment, but now he gripped him by both arms and panted " I've been with you -0 here - ALL DAY !! – Got it ?â€

He accentuated each word with a forefinger jabbed at Leon’s chest – the other boy managing only “Wha….why..?†before being blustered into silence by Henry’s “Don’t as questions – you don’t NEED to know –but if anyone asks – ALL DAY, remember ? “ Then, cranking down slightly he went on “ better make it look good then- lets go hit that new Playstation game you said you had…†The side door closed on a bemused Leon and an apprehensive Henry..

Robbie’s one free day from work placement at the newspaper was taking a heavy toll on Tash’s nerves. They were due to be heading into Yabbie Creek a little later to see “Charlie and the Chocolate Factory†at the Multiplex , and with plenty of time in hand, she was enjoying getting ready at her own pace. Or she would have been had Robbie’s impatience at waiting not friven him to create a variety of time-filling devices. The latest of which had seen him remove most of the items from her make-up bag on the bed and attempt to relocate them there by throwing them back while sitting on a chair on the far side of the room. She told herself to remain calm and tried a chatty, carefree manner “ I SO like Johnny Depp you know, do you think he’ll be good as…..ROBBIE !!! watch my mascara. The top’s not on prop….NOW see what you’ve done !â€

“Sorry†said Robbie – he wasn’t- because as Tash resumed “So anyway, shall we go for burger or pizz…†a crash on her make-up mirror to the left had her swivelling again “ROB !!!! will you just STOP IT !!!! that was my Dior eyeliner !!!†The frustrated basketball maestro put out his tongue behind her back then listened as she continued “Anyway, I was talking to the Year 12 girls about the film last week – you remember, you came along right at the end, - they’d all seen it and said it was excellent….†She’d secretly almost braced herself for another crash or splash of some kind, and – hearing nothing – turned, “Rob – you remember…?†But his face showed him to be in the grip of some powerful emotion, and sweeping her up into his arms darted to the other chair by the window with a yell of "He shoots – he SCORES !!†– drowning out her scream as he “slam-dunked†her into the chair by kissing her full on the lips and yelling “EUREKA !! Tash – I think I know who dropped that letter about the school into the newspaper office !!!!â€..

The caravan park phone was ringing to an empty arena again as the caller tutted and sighed with frustrated exasperation. Why was there NEVER anyone there now ? They regretted having hung up once or twice the previous week, but SURELY there should be SOMEBODY there ?

And their wish finally looked set for fulfilment as Jesse paced slowly up the path outside and in through the kitchen door. His mind was badly troubled by the whole Don Fisher thing, and of course, Sal wasn’t out of danger yet either. He knew also he’d been letting his obligations to the bar suffer in the last couple of days, but Hayley could cope. He wasn’t altogether inclined to answer the phone, while the caller had set a mental deadline of 3 more rings before hanging up. He turned away, but then turned back –he had only come home briefly to freshen up, but of course it COULD still be the hospital about Sal or something – he reached across and picked up on what – if he had but known it, was the “deadline†ring.

“Summer Bay Caravan Park, can I …†He paused, wrinkling his brow in confusion , uncertainty and downright surprise..."Yes - is that REALLY who I THINK it is ….?â€

Archived