**Sally And Jesse Fanfic**

Guest WYN100

**PART 6**

The small , chaotically-arranged side office wasn’t proving to be the bolt-hole that Flynn had been hoping for.

His head was pounding from the inside like a power drill with a tight deadline, but Jesse’s reaction – both physical and threateningly vocal had struck a menacing chord with him –a chord that had been played loud , long and repeatedly in his mind during the course of a taxing day - SHOULD he have treated Sally ? OUGHT he to have mentioned that slight breathing problem of Sal’s from a year or so back ? He took the medical ethics “bible†and planted it squarely on the desk. Logic told him there was nothing to worry about- but logic always seemed to take an impromptu holiday at times like this. He thumbed feverishly through the doorstep-thick volume, feeling the walls of the dismal, poorly-lit office would begin to start closing in on him before too much longer. He’d just about reached the relevant page when his head jerked sharply – and not a little guiltily up as the door rocked back on its hinges. The unexpected and unheralded new arrival in the room was Sandra Malone, one of the younger nurses, but highly dedicated and reliable under pressure. Her face though was tonight bearing the indications of an 18 hour plus shift as she announced with some relief “ Doctor Saunders THERE you are – I think you’d better come quickly…â€

Tony Richards had staggered back under the weight of Ric’s punch, but quickly steadied himself and came forward lashing out left and right. Ric was tool quick to be caught or surprised by that but at the back of his mind knew he was up against a much bigger man if this went on much longer. The red mist in front of Richards’ eyes had seen him ignore the cries from his wife Louise to stop – that’s if he’d heard them at all. But suddenly – one plaintive and distinctive yell stopped both the combatants in their tracks. “I said STOP – that’s HIM – that’s ERIC “ Richards froze briefly to the spot before stalking three paces and tearing the photo that Louise was brandishing from her hand “Geez, it is too..†he muttered – while Ric was left wiping the perspiration from his forehead and asking in a bewildered fashion â€What…I mean who….†His uncle was thinking quickly by now, and forcing an distastefully plastic smile turned to Ric and said “ Mate..seems we got our wires crossed – um – you know that letter you got ? Well it’s me – Tony – “ then with the sickliest of forced laughs†Families, eh ? Always getting into scrapes…?â€

Ric took a moment to digest the implications of the situation, then – still breathing rather heavily said “Let me get this straight. YOU reckon you’re my UNCLE Tony ? And you think I’d let someone like YOU have custody of me ? Let me tell you a snowflake in HELL would have a better chance. Just head back to the hole you crawled from , loser.â€

And he began walking down the side of the main road adjacent to the hospital towards Summer Bay. “Eric…MATE…!†Richards called unavailingly after him . Louise and son Brandon were by now sitting quietly in the car – they knew what to expect if Richards was crossed at all while in a mood like this. What they got was a vitriolic, snarling promise as he slammed the door and thudded into the drivers’ seat “ If that little hoon thinks he’s rid of me he can think again “ – and picking up a brown envelope, spat “ In fact he’ll have the shock of his life – and there isn’t a damn thing he can do about it !†He jabbed the key in – the engine fired up….

Robbie had expected – or certainly hoped –that work placement at the local newspaper would be a different – perhaps exciting – possibly even glamorous – alternative toi the standard “make the tea but don’t make a noise†office arrangements so many of his classmates had been landed with.

But he’d been wrong – and how ! He’d already written about three baby shows , the under-5’s entertainment at the local infant school, and the prospects for the upcoming garden festival- scarcely the stuff to get the editor of the Sydney Morning Herald beating a path to his door ! He’d tried relieving the tedium by emailing Tash, rearranging the teaspoons on the office coffee tray, emailing Tash again, betting against himself how long it would take a small spider he’d spotted to walk from one end of the skirting board to the other – oh , and emailing Tash again. When she eventually replied by asking him if he hasn’t got anything better to do, he drifted into a daydream where he won awards and widespread praise for his front page scoop on “Summer Bay Girl in full email inbox shocker†and travelling the world giving highly-paid journalism lectures.

The morning sun was warm and soporific through the glass window at the front of the office, but Robbie was jolted back to life by the behaviour of a man outside he felt he vaguely recognized . Although his view was slightly obscured by the sun-glow, he watched, fascinated as the man peered back over his shoulders- jammed a cap of some sort down almost over his eyes then after three false starts turned and slipped a folded piece of paper through the office letterbox before departing rather like a crab heading for the shoe- shop to rturn four pairs of extremely ill-fitting trainers.

With the spider still basking half-way along the skirting board and the lovingly arranged teaspoons still untouched from his previous efforts he headed for the door, swept up the fold of paper and started read – As his eyes raced over the words –his jaw began to drop. Now this WAS something the editor would be keen to see---he was sure of that !!

Don had been delighted to get better news of Sally in a call that morning so had headed in to see her. The hospital had confirmed she was far from being out of the risk zone, and indeed he’d been able to see at a glance from her pale face and fragile manner that their assessment was accurate, but they’d nonetheless been able to strike up a good chat. He’d assured her that he and Barry Hyde were doing their level best to track down and play down the roots of the exam scandal –he’d noted with interest how Irene had ascended to high command in the diner, and he’d assured her that retired life with June was suiting him down to the ground.

All along though he’d wrestled with his mind about whether to raise the subject of Jesse – and as those who knew him best would be in no way surprised to learn – he decided he would. “And you see Sally, Barry Hyde’s told me some very worrying things too –and I think I’d be failing in my duty if I didn’t say this – I’ve been very concerned since you got together. After all, Flynn was far more stable, AND he’s Pippa’s father too…â€

“Look Don “ Sally said wearily “We’re happy together – I’ve ALWAYS felt pretty close to Jesse as you know and its just kind of grown..†Fisher’s brow creased once more “Ah yes Sally, but isn’t he a very different character to the one you first knew – I mean – what about these anger management issues ?†Suddenly a third voice split the quiet atmosphere of the single room at the hospital “Yes Sally, what about them ? you tell him !†Jesse was leaning in the doorway – his face betraying something less than pleasure at what he’d heard of Don’s assessment of his character qualities….

Kit had been talking happily since she and Matty had returned to an otherwise empty Hunter house. “Yes –I remember my first real boyfriend – just !†she prattled cheerfully “You see Matilda†she went on, pulling a carton of orange juice from the fridge and looking round for glasses “You have to let them know who’s boss - dates, flowers, chocolates, and you ALWAYS get to choose which movie you hire on DVD ! And of course it helps if they’re not into sport as you never see them at the weekend otherwise !â€

She grabbed the two glasses, and – taking them over to the table at the sofa where Matilda was sitting, suddenly realized her younger sister had been almost wholly silent since they’d got back.

“You OK sis ?†she asked in a very caring tone “!You should have told me to shut up – I was only going on like that as II was pretty sure it was a guy you wanted to talk about – but don’t worry, it’ll be ok whatever it is, honestly.†As Matilda turned round to get her juice, Kit could tell as wasn’t well merely by looking at the bags beneath her eyes and the troubled expression.

“WILL it be alright though Kit ?†she asked timidly “ You see ---- I think I might be pregnant…..â€

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:) Thanks again for all the nice comments, I really appreciate them :) - but PLEASE do be sure to tell me if I'm dragging it too long tho , won't you !! :blink:

**PART 7 **

The phone at the caravan park almost seemed to have an increasingly urgent air to it as it rang – and rang unanswered. As Sally had experienced – these mystery calls had been increasingly regular in recent weeks – indeed she’d written down the number of the caller from the ringback option. But Sally wasn’t there – she was of course now in hospital -Jesse there with her, and Ric walking back from the confrontation with his violent uncle. So the phone bell continued to sound a haunting, strident, almost eerie solo note around the living room/kitchen area- before – as previously – cutting off abruptly mid-note. It left the caller heaving a deep, frustrated sigh – a sigh from which tears weren’t far removed. And had they known Ric would walk through the door mere moments later – that frustration would have developed an even keener edge….

Hayley shifted uneasily – in the instant shock of seeing Dan on the doorstep the previous evening she’d babbled some ridiculous excuse about “needing to go to the all-night shop for some…wool….for …for Kim ! ….for his rugby socks….because….because…they’ve got holes…†– she blushed at the very memory of how absurd she must have sounded. But before she’d bolted off like a greyhound in trap 1, she’d yelled something about “coming for coffee tomorrow†But – of course tomorrow always comes – very much to her discomfort on this occasion, and she was now feeling each of her nerves fray one by one as she searched feverishly in her mind for the correct phrasing to tell Dan he was the man she suspected of being the “sleeping partnerâ€. It all sounded very threadbare and feeble in the cold light of day she thought. BUT – it HAD all clicked together in her mind at the bar the previous evening, so she must have the courage of her convictions. She gave a slight start then a very deep breath as a knock suddenly echoed across the room from the door. She walked across as decisively as she could manage, reached up and opened the door to be greeted by……..Peter Baker. Once again she felt the fog of confusion descend as she heard him say “Hi Hayley, is it ok if I come in for a moment ? I’ve got some questions I want to ask you about this “sleeping partner†of yours and Jesse’s…†Hayley felt her head start to spin at an increased velocity….

Kit was still reeling inwardly, but told herself firmly that the “calm and steady big sister†persona would be acutely required in this situation. She felt it was at least three sizes too big as she tried slipping in to it, but battled on – “Now are you ABSOLUTELY sure Matty ? No, silly question, of course you’re not SURE – but just tell me about it from the very beginning…â€

It emerged that Ric and Matilda had been walking back from the Surf Club late one night – it had been a warm, moonlit evening- they’d stopped to sit down in the dunes, AND ….etc etc etc.

So – now her body was giving her the warning signals – and she couldn’t possibly tell Ric – and it was all too awful – and she loved him and didn’t want it to spoil anything – and-and-and what could she possibly DO ??

Kit’s no-nonsense mind was full of what SHE’D like to DO to Eric Daulby, but keeping herself in check for Matty’s sake she said “Right – the first thing we do is arrange an appointment with Flynn – you OK with that ?†Matty nodded weakly, but with the aim of trying to sustain an air of normality and not panic her sister, Kit went on “ …but what we do first is go listen to the new Green Day CD I bought in the city – it’s just awesome ! “

Matilda brightened – glad to give herself something different to think about – she and Kit headed for the bedroom……while a few yards away Henry stood frozen just behind the other doorway – his face a picture of amazed horror as he attempted to digest the bombshell that had just exploded in front of him……

The scene Flynn was greeted with as he and Sandra Malone reached the end of the corridor was more reminiscent of the aftermath of a rush hour road traffic crash than a rehab room at a small town hospital.

Donald and Jesse’s intertwined shouts, insults and accusations were a spiralling crescendo of noise, with Sally’s plaintive orders to them both to stop in no way diluted the verbal fireworks

“You think you can march back here and…..â€

“You know very well I’ve only got Sally’s best interests…â€

“Oh yes, big words from a guy living hundreds of k’s away..â€

“I’ve known Sally since she was so high…â€

“And I’ve always cared about her….â€

“Even from your jail cell I suppose…â€

“Why you…..â€

“Yes, that would be right – start the aggression..â€

“DONALD – JESSE – STOP IT – NOW !!â€

Flynn was louder than the two –but he had to be – while Sandra went to check on Sally, he pushed the two warring parties apart – interrupting sternly “Whatever you personal differences are –our priority here is SALLY – she’s still nowhere near being in the clear and I really think….â€

But Jesse was in no mood to be pacified “And of course YOU are so lily-white !†He stalked closer to Flynn, prodding his chest and shouting back over his shoulder “Did you know DONALD, our doctor friend here KNEW Sal had a problem, but didn’t SAY – how professional is THAT ??†Donald’s brow crinkled in confusion, but he decided clearing the air may be a better option to clear the red mist. Jesse though was upping the intensity of his verbal attack on Flynn “No wonder she got rid of you, is it – fat lot of good YOU ever did for her…â€

“Now look Jesse, let’s all calm down a little…..†said Donald from behind – putting a restraining hand on Jesse’s arm..

“BUTT OUT Fisher….†Spat Jesse swinging his elbow back – straight into the face of Donald, forcing him to stagger back – then down, crashing his head against the sharp edge of the skirting board where it met the door at floor level .Sandra was round the bed at high speed, checking his pulse and breathing before calling sharply “Flynn, I REALLY think you’d better take a look at this…..†As Donald lay slumped-the room had suddenly fallen extremely silent…..

Barry Hyde’s manner could best be described as coolly civil as Reg Anthony, editor of the “Summer Bay Daily†was shown into his office. The newspaper’s decision to publish the initial “exam scandal†story had caused both him and the school no end of problems already, and he was hardly about to be offering this man afternoon tea and custard creams on the strength of his latest claims about school staff involvement is the alleged wrongdoing.

“I really don’t have very much time Mr Anthony.†He said distantly, “I do hope we can make this quick!â€

“Oh , as quick as you like Mr Hyde†said the visitor , with an oily, complacent air “ Feast your eyes on this !†Anthony had looked forward to this moment since Robbie Hunter had – rather reluctantly – brought him the surreptitiously delivered document. Barry’s brow creased involuntarily as he ran his eyes over the document, and though he was reluctant to betray any concern to this man – who he held in such low esteem – it would have been impossible not to detect his worry at this new development.

“Well ?†asked Anthony , wearing an oily, unpleasant smile as Barry placed the sheets on the desk,

Hyde though had quickly recovered composure. “Mr Anthony – given the nature of these allegations, and specifically who they’re said to involve, I suggest that you’re very-very ! sure of your facts before you even CONSIDER publishing anything else !â€

The oily smile widened . The newspaper man felt he’d hit the bullseye…..

Archived