**Sally And Jesse Fanfic**

Guest WYN100

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

***PART 4***

Jesse had arrived at the small Summer Bay hospital just moments ahead of Ric – both had been contacted by Barry Hyde who’d found Sally semi-conscious and wracked with pain face down on the tarmac of the school drive maybe 30 minutes after she’d left his office.

They both found a medical facility battling bravely to survive the impact of an early winter gastric flu bug. Both had to pick their way gingerly through an emergency room of coughing infants and sneezing grandmothers before arriving at the enquiry desk. There they unleashed a volley of questions at a duty nurse in her mid-40’s, but looking – and feeling-considerably older after a 16 hour shift forced on her by staff shortages and an unending conveyor belt of new patients.

“Where is she…she will be alright ? …..how is she ? ….what the heck’s the matter with her ? ….how long…?â€

Returning to her fast-diminishing reserves of patience, the nurse held up her hand – palm outstretched and cut in firmly “ GENTLEMEN ---ALL I can tell you is that Miss Fletcher got here 40 minutes or so ago – she’s still undergoing tests- she’ll be in room 16, and you’ll need to speak to Doctor Saunders.â€

That name cut through their attention like a hot breadknife in a snowdrift. Their heads swivelling to look at each other , both mouthed “Doctor SAUNDERS….??†This situation clearly had MANY further twists and turns to reveal….

Tony Richards was keen to get the point spelt out beyond any shadow of doubt – his solicitor was just keen to stop going round in circles and head home for the evening.

Marcus Allen’s tone was weary and only a shade the acceptable side of patient. “Mr Richards – we’ve said on MORE than one occasion that your half-brother Mr Daulby began an insurance trust fund for his son Eric a number of years ago when visiting this town..â€

“And – go on-“ – Richards had both palms pressed firmly on the corners of the wide, leather-topped desk, staring intently as Marcus read from his notes

“And – it reached maturity three weeks ago , only at which point were we requested to contact you if Mr Daulby himself hadn’t arrived to settle paperwork…â€

“And…and…†broke in Richards , his small, hot eyes almost boring holes into the document Allen was holding.

Sighing patiently, he repeated “Mr Richards – I have to again emphasize you were only invited here to clear the paperwork – this legacy is solely top the personal benefit of Mr Eric Daulby – though I can confirm it’s set to realize quite an ample five-figure sum.â€

A greedy and wholly unappealing smirk played across the features of Tony Richards as he threw an unpleasantly complacent parting shot back over his shoulder “That kid won’t know what’s hit him when Uncle Tony arrives to look after him !â€

As if to underline the truth of that prediction, as he flung open the door of his car downstairs five minutes later, his waiting wife and son both gave slight but noticeable jumps well before the resounding slam had corrupted the evening air-His wife’s attractive brown hair wasn’t long enough to cover an ugly bruise along the top of her cheekbone…

Don Fisher had agreed to meet Barry Hyde for a coffee in the diner before heading on to see Sally at the hospital. The nurses had promised an immediate call for any change in her condition, but even so, neither man could fully apply their thoughts to the pressing problem of the potential exam scandal. “I’ve always felt very protective towards her you know Barry, she’s been like a daughter to me - but, can I speak bluntly for a moment…?†“Of course “ said Hyde, who was probably glad to put the bad news timebomb of the exams to one side for a moment as well

“Well, I do have to say – I was far happier in my mind when she was with Flynn than I am now she’s hooked up with Jesse MacGregor ? You know he’s been in jail don’t you – involved with a gang of car thieves. Of course, I admit, being part owner of this bar does seem like he’s trying to settle……†He was interrupted though by Hyde, who leaned further across the table, lowered his voice and said “ Ah, you say that, but have you ever thought how he got the MONEY to buy into it…?â€

Fisher’s resident semi-confused frown grew deeper….

Hayley was feeling restless…She’d been on the point of telling Jesse her suspicion about the identity of the new partner when he’d been called away to the hospital, so the theory was still racing around in her mind. Leaving the bar early probably hadn’t been the best idea….she’d spent the intervening time pacing up and down the living room at home lost in questioning thought – as this wasn’t something that could really be gossiped about till she was sure.

WAS she right ? (..past the tv)..If she was, what did it mean ? (the back of the big chair) , and HOW frustrating was it not to be able to tell anyone !! (the kitchen door)…WOULD Jesse agree with her ? (chair again)…and WHAT if they did anything and she was wrong ? (and the TV one more time.)

Suddenly she stopped dead and decided the pacing marathon was getting her nowhere. There WAS at least ONE person she could phone…but SHOULD she ? …the phone was in her hand…

Jesse and Ric formed a defiant audience of two as Flynn emerged into the corridor – “Hi guys, sorry to keep….â€

“Should you be treating her..†cut in Jesse, his voice sharply aggressive “I mean isn’t there some conflict of interest or whatever – and aren’t there any OTHER doctors in this damn place….â€

Flynn responded as calmly as the tense situation would permit “Sally and I are no longer together so there’s no legitimate reason why I shouldn’t supervise thhis admission – and as you’ll have noticed there’s huge pressure on the hospital at the moment, so our numbers are severely stretched- now, ….â€

Jesse looked as pacified as a chained Rotweiler watching a corgi eat its dinner, and was about to snap back before Ric intervened…â€Well anyway, go on – what’s the story…?â€

Flynn took a deep breath then said “Well, as far as we can determine, it’s a pronounced inflammation of the outer lining of the lung – but we’re hoping it hasn’t gone beyond the point where we can treat it with antibiotics. In fact thinking back I remember her having some kind of SIMILAR issue and telling her she should get it checked out…†Flynn’s sentence was halted in mid steam as he was bumped back against the wall, Jesse’s hand gripping both his lapels “ You MOGREL… you mean you KNEW about this and you didn’t DO anything about it ?? I’m telling you, if ANYTHING happens to her…!!!†Flynn felt a mental daze descending to match the physical one inflicted by Jesse’s blow….

:) Thanks so much for the nice comments -do hope you don't think I'm pushing it by keeping this one going ! :o

**PART 5**

Don Fisher had occasionally felt a little guilty about the deep-seated misgivings he had about Sally being with Jesse. Not any longer. He had attentively drunk in every word of Barry Hyde’s cautionary character reference, detailing Jesse’s anger management classes, the police probe about steroids being pedalled at the gym, plus his extremely rocky history with women, involving stormy break-ups with both Leah and Josie. Oh yes – both of those had “officially†been laid at the door of the women – but no smoke without fire was the phrase that dived head-first into the turbulent pool of Fisher’s mind. Also – according to Barry – he’d more or less persecuted Rhys Sutherland out of his position at the kiosk, and while there was no proof – Barry had been prepared to lay very short odds that Jesse’s money to buy into Bar Noah may have a shady edge to it. Fisher’s mind was made up ! He resolved that once Sally’s health had improved, the exam scandal would NOT be the only thing he’d be discussing with her….

Hayley seemed trapped in a torment of indecision. At least half a dozen times she’d tapped out the phone number she was holding her breath to try and which could finally help them “shake and wake “ the aggravatingly anonymous “sleeping partner. Twice she’d even got as far as letting it ring – but it was a zero success rate in terms of engaging her suspicions into conversation.

Partly it was a case of knowing she should wait to speak to Jesse first – partly apprehension about clamming UP and becoming tongue-tied at the vital moment. She continued tossing the possible identity around in her mind like a ship at sea in a hurricane as she decided what to do next. One thing was for sure, she couldn’t stay here any longer or her frustration would boil over. She resolved to head back to the bar, feeling sure Jesse would return there to finish up after the hospital. She crossed the room, her mind still pumping, grabbed her jumper, threw back the door and immediately have a little gasp of semi-amazement and shock, as standing there with his hand raised to the bell was none other than Dan Baker…………………….

Matilda needed a friendly ear to confide in. Her mind had been a little unsettled for a few days now, and Ric’s bombshell about his Uncle Tony had served up another large slice to add to the cake of concern that had been steadily cooking on a low heat in first the back, then the middle, and now the front of her mind.

Talking to her mother wasn’t an option, much less Henry, and while Robbie generally had quite a wide-angled view on life, somehow she couldn’t see him taking THIS under his wing with any degree of comfort !

So, she found herself ambling distractedly along the furthest end of the beach – not too far from Jump Rock, eyes down at the loose, golden sand between her feet when a voice caught her attention and brought her up short with a fast-developing smile..

“Oh yes – VERY suspicious –can you give me full particulars of what you’re doing here…..â€

Matty was immediately enveloped in a warm, sisterly hug, and as her clouds of disquiet parted to be replaced by a rising crescendo of new optimism, she was left thinking ,â€How good is THIS !!! ==KIT will know what to say !!â€

Ric had taken some persuasion by Jesse to head home from the hospital for a while – they’d trotted out the “next 24 hours will be critical “ line, so they’d both been eventually persuaded that some rest and freshening up would be desirable. Jesse was finalizing some paperwork upstairs so Ric decided to walk home on his own. Just at the back of the hospital and along the coast-road a luttle way was a little-used path to the beach which he intended to use before a cobweb-clearing walk along the sand.

He headed down, and enjoying the sympathetic rays of the late-evening sun on his face squatted down to enjoy five restful minutes.

As he spread his gaze around Ric became aware of a car parked at the side of the road below and the sound of voices raised in angry discord. He gave a dry smile remembering just how he and his father had argued so similarly and so often – and then sat bot upright as the raised voices spiralled into a scream from the woman, and the opening notes of a child’s tears – the man had shoved the child a foot or two at the car door – and suddenly Ric was hurling himself down the embankment –and , jumping up instinctively grabbed the man, heaved him round, and sent a crushing right –hand punch straight into the face of…….his Uncle, Tony Richards,,,

Archived