**Sally And Jesse Fanfic**

Guest WYN100

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

SOO Glad you're still liking it :) and thank you !

**PART 22**

Scott was close to being wholly consumed by impatience and frustration as he gripped the desk of the small and very dated police station at Blue Cove. Having left there less than 30 minutes previously on bail, the desk sergeant was reacting a little coolly to Scott’s change of roles. “So remind me what happened then, sir ?†By the narrowest thread of willpower, Scott resisted the temptation to shake the officer by the throat, instead repeating firmly “My cellphone rang….†– prompting a fairly predictable policeman’s response “You do know Mr – um- ah – Hunter – that you shouldn’t be talking on your cellphone while driving ?†Scott’s eyes flashed angrily “For God’s sake….â€Beth stepped in hastily to avoid her son risking arrest for the second time in a matter of hours “Officer – I was driving – my son answered the phone – our friend Alf Stewart spoke to him briefly, but very soon there was a sound like a crash of some sort, and we haven’t been able to raise him since.â€

“THANK you Madam, “ said the policeman, with a sideways glance at Scott “ Now maybe we’re getting somewhere. So whereabouts would he have been at the time ?†The faces of both Hunters clouded . Scott replied “That’s just it – we don’t really KNOW – he’d been for a fishing trip to get away from it all and hadn’t told anyone – look, I know it sounds vague but there must be SOME checking you can do !!†Beth’s brow wrinkled “Wouldn’t ANYBODY know ?†Scott was pacing the small entrance hall of the police station with huge and elaborate frustration “NO – well- yes – maybe Martha- oh I don’t know – but we haven’t got TIME , we should be DOING something !!â€

The constable shifted slowly from his seat “Well, I’m afraid you haven’t given me much to go on at all – I could check the general incident reports for the whole region I suppose,†He disappeared to a back office where Scott and Beth could hear snatches of papers being rustled and aggravatingly indistinct fragments of police radio dialogue –“What is he DOING in there ??†snarled Scott through his teeth – but the constable eventually made his way back clutching a sheet of paper “ Just one incident I can pin down within the last hour or so†he said, “ on the mountain road just south of a place called Gold Acre – collision between a container lorry and a private vehicle – emergency services still at the scene – believed to be two people dead..†Those last half-dozen words hung starkly in the air as Beth and Scott swivelled round to face each other………..

“ You just HAVE to be kidding….!†Jesse’s voice was rising both in outrage and underlying aggression – an element that was decidedly inappropriate in the circumstances – and Sally knew it.

She’d suggested some hours back that they should head for the hospital and visit Don Fisher – something Jesse had stalled against, even though his underlying and very keen level of guilt about what had happened to Flathead in Sally’s room some days previously nagged him that it was the very least he could do. He initially tried to utilize Sally’s recent surgery, saying it was too soon for her to be out, but she’d swept that objection aside – and here they were, back on the ward. The bombshell had hit almost before the pleasantries were finished. Don was feeling better and impatient to lay the law down.

“I’m afraid it’s no joker. What happened to me, plus a whole host of other elements make me determined. Unless you give up custody of Ric, then I shall press charges of criminal assault – and given your record ANYWAY – I wonder what kind of testimony that would seem in any custody fight ? – which I assure you would follow.â€

Jesse was breathing hard through his nose, and Sally could already see his hands starting to curl into fists. She quickly stepped in front of him and appealed to Fisher “Look Don, I know you haven’t always got on well with Jess and what happened the other day was so unfortunate – but please don’t punish Ric because of it ! He’s already had more than enough tragedy and upheaval in his life- and he LIKES living with us. He gets on SO well with Jesse and there’s never been a moment’s trouble – please leave us to carry on the job ?â€

Fisher, having listened, looked from one to the other and replied “ No I’m sorry Sally, all my instincts and experience tell me it’s not a good environment for that boy, and the sooner he’s removed from it, the better.†Jesse’s fists continued to curl and flex more expressively than words could ever possibly manage….

Barry Hyde rattled away intently at the keyboard of his office computer his face set intently as he scanned page after page of documents and information with his jammed in a position close enough to the screen to have given the majority of opticians many a sleepless night.

“The Gorilla†Mr Jenkins had left him in little doubt that the Department wanted answers and a stop to the bad publicity much soon rather than later. He’d also left a heavy cloud of suspicion and doubt about how well or otherwise Barry had been handling the crisis – further fanning the flames of his need to crack the problem.

Instinctively he still very much leant towards the Mr Rogers theory, but he was acutely aware that suspicion alone never proved any case.

Occasionally his fingers would halt their manic tap-dance across the keyboard and he found himself being surprised that Beth hadn’t yet come in – he had been expecting her – he’d certainly like to talk this through with her – Beth - Beth – he snapped himself back to awareness, and suddenly became conscious of how often Beth was still entering his thoughts as compared to Irene……he forced himself back into work mode and flayed his way through another 200 or so documents. Then – a thought – he sat giving it time to crystallize - then he sprang up, grabbed his jacket and headed for the door. It was a plan that MIGHT just work he told himself – but he knew JUST whose help he’d need…………

After Beth’s sudden sharp exit, the Hunter dining room soon emptied out as everyone else headed off on one task or another leaving just Matilda and Kit.

“Will you STOP following me around ??†snapped Matty as she took some plates to the washing-up bowl. She loved her sister, but since her little faint at the hospital the other night, she’d SWEAR that there’d never been more than three steps of daylight between them , and personal space claustrophobia was beginning to bite “I DON’T know what you expect me to do, but I’m NOT going to crash out again , OR give birth on the kitchen carpet, so can you just BACK OFF a little before I SCREAM ??â€

It wasn’t like Kit not to offer a contrary point of view, but instead she offered gently “ ok – fine, I’m JUST concerned about you – and I STILL don’t think you should have given that blood - but it’s got too be onwards from here . AND “ she dropped her voice to what she considered to be a suitable pitch “you STILL haven’t actually had THE TEST yet†She spoke in hushed capital letters , but noticed how Matty’s face clouded over again – “Oh don’t w orry about the test, it’ll be easy as…â€

“No it’s not that†said Matilda, apprehension and uncertainty jostling for space across her features…â€There was something else I was going to….†The shrill blast of the phone cut through the quiet air of the dining room, and Kit said “ HOLD that thought – OK !? - I’ll just get that – she vaulted the side of the sofa, grabbed the phone and “Hello ? – Mum ! – yes – what ?? Alf ?!!†Forgetting their previous discussion, a frowning Matilda hurried across to her sister – her increasingly pale face with the phone still clamped to one side of it…..

They’d watched hour after hour tick by from their cramped quarters, which took on an increasingly dismal air through the fall of dusk and the increasingly forbidding depths of the night. Eventually , with the adrenaline of uncertainty but possible huge reward pumping through them , Kirsty and Kane set off for the school.

Both dressed in dark sweaters and jeans they parked in a secluded back lane a short distance from the school – then via a short nerve-jangling walk and clamber over the schoolyard wall, their target destination came teasingly into view.

They stopped short at Kane’s predicted “way in†window – held their collective breath – and then – a triumphant punch of the air from Kane – and they were in ! As they both knew- Sally’s office was just a couple of doors away, and seemingly within seconds they were powering up her computer . As discussed, the password “Pippa†won them entry – to an extremely dated – dial-up connection computer. “HOW does Sally get anything done on THIS ?†hissed Kane , but Kirsty kept a level head way above the stomach-churning tension of their situation. “DON’T keep clicking the mouse, Kane ,†she ordered in low but clear tones, “It WON’T make it any quicker . Now, type in DEPARTMENT , then I would guess STAFF …†The two watched beseechingly as the blue line wandered idly across the foot of the screen “You’d THINK a place like this would have Broadband ..!†escaped on board another hiss from Kane, but Kirsty raised the palm of her hand and pointed with triumph to a slowly unloading screen that read “EDUCATION DEPARTMENT STAFF ROSTER / CONTACT DETAILS – updated today…..â€

They gazed expectantly, breath bated – their expectation only dulled a fraction by the realization that the elderly software didn’t offer the option of jumping straight to the surname you required.

With the tension approaching exhaustion levels, they could only wait and fervently hope the personnel payroll was unprecedentedly low that month. The list had eventually crawled to the point of revealing the contact details of “LUCY OLIVER – I.T. Consultant…..â€

when the attention of both Kirsty and Kane was wrenched away as violently as if a fire alarm had sounded. In fact being on such a finely tuned dual wavelength m they’d both reacted to the sound of just one footstep - but in the few seconds since that one had become a dozen or more – and the fugitive husband and wife strained desperately to hear a muffled and torchlit conversation between what were obviously two others outside – but only the chilling snippet “in there†came with any clarity. The Phillips duo looked feverishly around them. Sally’s office certainly offered little or no chance of concealment…..

• 2 weeks later...

**PART 24**

Ric awoke with a start as the developing morning sunshine splashed riotously through the window of his hospital room and down onto his face, urging him awake. He’d slept at an awkward angle, and winced at his first movement, which brought forth a jagged, throbbing pain just at the junction of his neck and left shoulder. He knew something was knocking hard at the door of his mind to get in, but the residual fog of sleep made that a hard task to immediately accomplish. He sat up in bed , rubbed his neck – bringing forth a larger and more extended wince – then, as the knock inside his head grew more insistent, the door inside was finally battered down, and in came…TONY RICHARDS !!- LAST NIGHT – THE CAR PARK !! His brain pressed its accelerator pedal hard to the floor. He shuffled the available facts at blistering speed – his so-called Uncle trying to kill him , Lorraine’s revelations, his sighting the shifty individual under cover of dark the previous evening….his head jerked towards the clock, inviting another volley of severe neck pain. He breathed in sharply, but was quickly struck by how relatively late it was == 10 to 10 already ! Yet another thought suddenly thudded into his mind like a guided missile, and he jumped up, heading for the door. The thought now screaming at him was – the safety of Lorraine and Brandon – with that mongrel hanging about outside – anything could happen. The reception outside his door was empty – but there at the end of the corridor was Flynn – just beginning his shift after a brief sleep – “FLYNN !!! “ yelled Ric without ceremony “Where are Lorraine and Brandon ?? Are they still here ?? That Richards guy – he tried to KILL me – I SAW him outside – they can’t…â€

“WHOA !! mate†said Flynn, putting his hand on Ric’s shoulder to steady him “Calm down – and tell me EVERYTHING ..â€

Seething with impatience, Ric gave chapter and verse and via consulting Sandra Malone who arrived soon after, they discovered mother and son had left just minutes previously after their one-off night at the hospital.

“Flynn you HAVE to do something !!†yelled Ric, still not convinced he was being fully believed – but the doctor was already diving through the opening lift doors to head downwards A quickly developing scenario was awaiting Ric as he skated back to his room – to the left, there as he’d feared was the unsavoury form of Richards – eyes keenly fixed on the hospital door – Ric’s eyes swivelled to the right and – just emerging from the door, the distinctive blonde locks of both Lorraine and Brandon… Richards immediately broke cover and bolted for the door – their eyes still hadn’t turned that way…but at that very second – there was Flynn – emerging at speed to put his arm round the pair and shepherd them back inside… The thwarted Richards snarled a loud curse and punched the stone pillar to which his dash had taken him .But Ric’s reaction WASN’T one of instant relief. Instead he tore open the window catch and, leaning out, screamed at the unwashed figure “You come near me or those 2 again and I’ll KILL you – I swear I’ll KILL you “ As he swung frowning away from the window, there standing at the door with a look blending surprise and severity at what he’d just heard – was Peter Baker….

The range of emotions experienced by Peter’s brother Dan during the course of the tense and uncomfortable last few hours had PROBABLY featured both surprise and severity, but had chiefly featured anguish, apprehension and alarm about the potentially explosive situation he’d got himself involved in. He’d had to sit in a state of near torment in the car outside the house of his “benefactor†– the one last desperate card he had to play. Once dawn had broken, he’d headed with heavy heart for the large, tastefully furnished house, and now he was sitting , damp with perspiration even though it was still the early part of the morning - and wondering with high anxiety whether or not he’d done the right thing by coming.

“With the very deepest of respect, I can’t BELIEVE you’re even suggesting this …†he intoned hoarsely. The voice came back of the man who Dan now bitterly regretted ever meeting came back across the table at him “Well you see Dan – this is the way I see it – you owe me a great deal of money, you’ve defrauded the bank, you owe THEM a great deal of money and your other half’s grip on half her diner could be described as fragile at best as a result of your actions – you wouldn’t seem to have much room for manoeuvre , am I correct ?â€

Dan breathed hard – his reply was slow and hesitant “ I admit that , yes…but THIS ? You have to know what you’re expecting from me !â€

Cool but chillingly confident, the reply returned “Well –I’ve been getting an increasing level of aggravation – questions are being asked about the money – and your brother’s asking most of them – I see this as a perfect way to firefight a range of problems all at once, don’t you ? Instead of us having to conceal or “launder†some of the “problem†money – you plant it in his flat – I pay you the same amount – he’s gone – and we’re both laughing – right ?â€

Dan’s grey and sunken features would have convinced any casual observer that he was highly unlikely to be joining in any mutual chuckling session organized by the occupant of the chair directly opposite him…

If Hayley had obeyed her first instinct of just turning her back on the situation, life might have been considerably simpler. As it was, Jesse’s simmering aggression at various events – primarily the Fisher situation – gave her time to hesitate – and she was lost.

Kim Hyde had chosen precisely the wrong moment to tackle Jesse about more shifts at the bar – leading to a cutting response – the basis of which was immediately evident “uh – excuse me for not applauding while you cheerfully bleed me dry won’t you . Kim ? Typical from a headmaster’s family too ! – you think the world’s just here for you to pick and choose from - well there are bigger things than YOU , let me tell you THAT ….â€

If Trudi Miller had noticed the escalating voice of the man Hayley believed she was involved with – she gave no sign of it . But , Hayley knew a direct collision with Jesse could only be moments away – so, not stopping to think, she took Trudi by the arm, and – almost completely unaware of what she was doing , a cocktail of instinct and adrenaline saw her whisk the girl across to a small side room behind the counter, improvising elaborately as she went “Do you KNOW, I SHOULD have shown you THESE sweatshirts – we can offer them to new members for FIVE dollars off…†She was aware of Trudi beginning eye her extremely curiously, but stitched firmly into her desperate plan of campaign, she ploughed on, her voice reaching somehow increasingly higher despite the stage whisper it was loosely dressed up . She hooked her hand behind her back to semi-pull the small door shut, but realized things were stacking up firmly against her as she saw the new member staring in speechless amazement at her supposedly desirable “must have†sweatshirt. The legend on it read “ SUMMER BAY IRONMAN 1997 – VINNIE PATERSON†Blushing crimson Hayley broke into another volley of semi-hysterical attempted cover-up patter, but both girls were now aware of a third voice in their immediate vicinity – this one bullish, snapping and demanding Hayley’s whereabouts in a tone that permitted no ignoring. She looked as if she may still try . Her cheeks scarlet and burning hot she dug frantically for a light airy tone – until the door crashed back on its hinges- Jesse stalked in. and, having been sent very expressive – but very different looks by both girls at his arrival, opened his mouth to speak……..

Beth and Scott were gripping each other’s hands tightly as Sergeant Carter consulted the sheet of paper in front of him. Their hearts had simultaneously experienced a feeling akin to a skyscraper elevator suddenly descending from floor 106 to the basement within a few seconds, and while it was a fresh morning outside, both felt the atmosphere in the small room to have become distinctly oppressive. The policeman had slipped into the matter-of-fact groove in which they frequently appear on TV and radio to recount such incidents. “Incident happened on main mountain road, ….9-18 pm….lorry and two other vehicles involved…officers attended the scene….survivors taken to cottage hospital…..deceased pronounced dead there also.â€

Beth felt her feet beginning to rock a little unsteadily under her …she gulped and managed to ask “He survived that long then…?†, feeling a catch in her voice as she made the enquiry. Moisture too was springing to the corner of her eyes, and Scott, bleary eyes looking sunken in his pallid, sleep-deprived face put his arm round her for support. Carter maintained a respectful silence for a few minutes, then - diffidently, almost reluctantly, but with a policeman's innate desire for neatness and closure in such situations, supplied the information “Yes, official time of death not till 9-39 for Mr Andrews.â€

Scott gave his mother’s hand another squeeze, then – with a wrinkled brow, a shaft of light lit up his mind a fraction sooner than his mother. With the skyscraper elevator beginning a cautiously optimistic climb back upwards, Scott blurted out “Did you say Mr ANDREWS ???â€

“Yes sirâ€, said Carter, beginning to look a little bemused himself “Stewart Andrews – age 47 – delivery van driver for Makru Industries – he WAS the man you enquired about ?â€

“NO !!! “ almost cried Scott, struggling to maintain a respectful air at Mr Andrews' sad demise, while at the same time steadying himself for a possible oncoming tidal wave of relief “ALF Stewart – Stewart’s not the Christian name, it’s the SURNAME !!†He and Beth again clasped hands as the officer again rustled documents, but could only repeat “ One dead – Stewart Andrews – 47 – survivors taken to Cottage Hospital..†He looked up from his document in time to see the door flap shut – as Scott laughed to Beth while they ran to the car , “In a no-horse town like this, how hard can it BE to find a cottage hospital ??â€

If Josie had hoped a drive around the Bay with an open sunroof and Bryan Adams CD to distract her would help provide inspiration or illumination on her current priority problem – her strategy had been flawed from the planning stage. The seagulls above seemed to be debating the pros and cons of her situation in one argumentative gaggle, and Bryan Adams’ rosy hindsight of The Summer of 69 only had her recalling life as an idealistic infant, WELL before life had even dreamt of tossing the likes of Stafford McCrae, Jesse McGregor or anyone remotely similar into her path. The planned 30 minute coast cruising session had turned into a frustrating bout of inner road rage, leading her back to the car park of the Sands. She made a mental note that without McCrae now footing the tab, staying here much longer was something of an over-extravagance. She breathed deep as she let herself into the suite – preparing mentally to lock horns with the 2 or 3 remaining hopes she was pursuing of “problem-solving “, - though her efforts so far had scarcely been encouraging, she had to admit. She dropped her key onto the glass coffee table, pushed her hair up – that same hair then tumbling straight back down as she swivelled full round at a voice from the open balcony door – it greeted her , ..†you know Josie I reckon that McRae did far too much sleeping – I think I’ll be your very much WIDE AWAKE partner, shall I ..?â€

If Josie’s mind WAS attempting a response , it became frozen behind lips at the centre of her stunned face…..

**PART 25**

Barry Hyde was in better humour than he had been for some time as he settled down at his desk that morning. He knew he needed a breakthrough in the drip feed of negative publicity to the local newspaper, and while he knew relying on the self-proclaimed “Greatest lover in Summer Bay†to help move his plan onwards was something of a risky strategy – instinct told him that Robbie may just pull the required rabbit out of the hat. The only thing slightly worrying him was the continued lack of Beth. Unaware that the notoriously poor cellphone signal from Gold Acre had prevented any coherent word getting back, her absence was a puzzle – but one he was willing to return to later. Hyde was a methodical man, and after clearing the morning mail, settled down to view the CCTV tapes from the previous evening. Since the whole Zoe McAllister situation had died away he’d settled into a groove of fast-forwarding in vision through most of the tapes and training his subconscious mind to pick up on any unexpected movement. All appeared to be unremarkably routine as he reviewed the moonlit hours in the kitchens, front car park, science lab, Sally’s office … after the usual mundane minutes, Hyde jerked violently forward in his chair, jamming on the pause and play buttons and sitting bolt upright . As the film resumed at normal pace he slowly breathed “Kane Phillips !…..and Kirsty..! The film was a little grainy , but he went on “stealing …!…or….†Barry’s shock though was about to increase as another form entered the room “SALLY !†he exclaimed aloud - he wished dearly there was sound on these tapes, but in the absence of that, he watched the remaining movements of the three with grim disapproval, and once the tape was finished he sat - thoughts racing - for many long minutes – then – frown deepening he reached for the phone – he knew he had to do the right thing…..

Scott had spoken too soon about the ease of finding the Gold Acre Cottage Hospital. Beth had driven eagerly - steadily – then extremely slowly up and down the half-dozen or so streets of the village with nothing remotely resembling a hospital having presented itself. Eventually they’d finally got on track thanks to a long and tortuous conversation between Scott and an old man sitting on a roadside bench who informed him the hospital had begun to fall down many years back and had been taken brick by brick to be rebuilt on a site just off the mountain road. Scott was left feeling like he’d made the trip with every individual brick after his conversation with the man. But he and Beth were delighted to be on track. Beth’s cellphone sounded as they headed back to the mountain road junction and with Scott having taken the wheel, she was able to answer the call.. however – the intermittent reception once again provided a frustrating obstacle.

“HELLO ?†screamed Beth

“MUM ?†bellowed Kit

“MATTY ?†yelled Beth

“NO – KIT !!!†came the shrieked reply

“NO – WE HAVEN’T FOUND IT YETâ€, bawled Beth, guessing wildly. Scott flashed her a curious sideways look – “Oh this is useless†sighed his mother.

That comment met a perfect mirror with Kit who growled with annoyance and jabbing a finger at the phone called across to Matilda “Man, you’d think they were in BRAZIL with that signal – come to think, Brazil would probably be CLEARER !! Anyway – call me a bore, but I think today would be IDEAL to get that pregnancy test done !â€

Up on the Gold Acre mountain road, the abysmal signal meant Beth remained unsure whether her daughter was still there or not. But –as she clamped her ear firmly to the handset – Scott guided the car through an open, exposed piece of countryside. That moment revealed that Kit hadn’t succeeded in hanging up properly – her remarks to Matty had floated with crystal-clear precision to the ear of their mother – whose deepening expression of horror led Scott to realize all was not QUITE as it should be back on home territory….

All logic dictated that Kane and Kirsty should by now have been heading hundreds of miles interstate in pursuit of his father- in order to complete and deliver the final and most dangerous part of their plan to prove his innocence and deposit Gus where he deserved to be.

But Kane’s health difficulties had re-surfaced at precisely the wrong time. The “warning†cramps and spasms of pain that had been steadily escalating were now hitting home with a vengeance. Headlong flight immediately upon receipt of the vital information had been shelved, as with Kane barely able to sit and drive, they’d instead returned to the naval supply shed just along the coast where they’d spent the previous couple of evenings.

Kane was however in no kind of defeatist mood. After swallowing two of the strong painkillers he’d been prescribed, he sat up soon after saying “Babe – I’ll be feeling as right as anything REALLY soon and then we HAVE to push on, right ?â€

But Kirsty was less sure. In many ways of course life on the run had benn LIKE a prison sentence – constantly moving, shelter and food of variable quality and total isolation from her family – how was Danni doing, she wondered – and Jade – or should that be Laura ? – how was HER new life taking shape ? And what of the Bay – getting geographically this close made her muse even more - what about the likes of Irene-Tasha-Beth – what was happening in the Surf Club ? BUT – there was no arguing it – she LOVED her husband with a deep, “once in a lifetime passion – he WASN’T guilty of the crime, therefore he SHOULDN’T have to do the time . HOWEVER – on the third hand so to speak – his health situation was paramount. As she looked down at him from the splintered wooden chair on which she was squatting, a wave of deep and abiding fondness for him splashed straight across her, and his every wince of pain - however small - left a virtual scar on her heart.

“Kaneâ€, she said firmly but kindly – “we’re going nowhere with you in this situation. You KNOW what Flynn said last time – the FIRST sign of a relapse and you had to report to him. And you’ve been suffering for nearly a week now !â€

His head swivelled round in genuine surprise “How did YOU know that ?†he asked weakly “ thought I’d kept it well enough hidden !â€

“ Kane, I’m your WIFE – THAT’s how I know such things. Now – we HAVE to work out how to get you checked over – here – and soon !â€

“But Gus….â€

“Gus isn’t going anywhere in a hurry if I’m any judge†she insisted – “the very fact his details are actually ON that computer shows that – he’s gone into a comfort zone, and the money from the robbery will have all gone by now, so the pay will be keeping him where he isâ€

“Yes but what will I DO ? I can just see me prancing up to the hospital reception – Peter Baker’d be there in no time, laughing himself silly !â€

Kirsty had grown thoughtful . Clearly turning things over energetically in her mind while nodding slowly, she eventually said “No – that certainly IS true – but with a little bit of luck, I think there’s ONE thing we CAN do….â€

In spite of the gathering pain – Kane looked more than interested…

“So what’s it all about then ? The TRUE version please !!â€

Josie was sitting at the large business table overlooking the balcony and sea view in the Belmont Suite at the Sands. She was slowly recovering her equilibrium following the shock of a few minutes previously - assisted by a large glass of chilled Chardonnay from room service. She shook her head again in semi-disbelief “I will say it’s something I never expected to see – Rhys Sutherland back in the Bay…â€

The new self-proclaimed “wide awake†partner in Noah’s bar smiled across the table at her and replied “Ah, but it’s NOT the same ‘good old’ Rhys Sutherland that LEFT the Bay, believe me !â€

And – she could – gone was the inevitable beer he would normally pick and he was now sipping a whisky and ginger. Gone were the t-shirts and jeans that had been his normal outfit of choice – now in their place a designer jacket and precision-fitted quality trousers. The former Sydney Swan and main man of the caravan park now exuded an air of quiet, almost unsettling confidence - but it was also easy to spot there was a new and active edge of ruthlessness nailed underneath. Her mind continued to press urgently for answers. “Be that as it may Rhys , I’d just love to know WHY ??â€

He flashed her a smile that she felt somehow almost contained a hidden trace of menace “What is it Josie, you reckon I couldn’t survive any longer without dashing back for that affair you so badly wanted us to have ?â€

“Oh yes, you wish..†she responded, but was acutely aware her response carried far less conviction than his question had. He leant across the table, looking her squarely in the eye and said “Ok – everything in good time – but what I WILL say is this – I think you might say there’s ONE person in particular who WON’T be happy to see me back – I’m willing to believe nobody’ll be throwing a welcome back party – but I aim for this person to be RUEING the day they set eyes on me again - I’ll just leave it at that for now if you don’t mind ?â€

As he settled back into the large cushioned leather-back chair it seemed to shape itself comfortably around him – that was how the new Rhys Sutherland seemed to be –made-to-measure for the world around him.

As Rhys’s eyes continued to hold hers in an even , unblinking but unquestionably cold stare – Josie’s mind began working overtime as to who the one person might be – as a chilly but unannounced shiver rippled suddenly across her – another look at Rhys’s face found her hoping fervently that it wasn’t her…………..

Archived