**Sally And Jesse Fanfic**

Guest WYN100

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

**PART 20 **

Barry Hyde shifted uneasily in the seat behind his headmaster's desk. That piece of furniture usually acted as the symbol of his authority - emphasizing the gap in stature between himself and whatever unfortunate pupil had been summoned to face discipline. But now the roles were reversed - Andrew Jenkins, the "man from the Department" was certainly living up to his nickname of "The Gorilla" - as he relentlessly "grilled" his prey on every imaginable aspect of the so-called school exam scandal. Barry hadn't been relishing this meeting, and had hoped to extract some telling piece of evidence from his confrontation with Mr Rogers in order to pacify the official. Instead all emerging from it had been a volley of abuse from the man of the house, and a badly splintered knee for Robbie after the pile of wooden fruit boxes he'd erected to watch proceedings through the window had collapsed underneath him with a noise like a volley of rifle-fire. In the car journey home, Barry had briefly been tempted to share Tasha's hilarity at that spectacle, but the imminent arrival of the grim-faced Mr Jenkins had reluctantly dragged his mind forward again. But - it was another particular comment that kept swirling round in his mind - the one about himself and the ladies who'd occupied his secretary's chair --- well of course there was Irene - but Beth ? That was ridiculous of course - wasn't it...? The more he thought about it though - the more she HAD been entering his mind - the more he HAD been lingering well past the bell for conversations with her - the more he HAD been enjoying going into school..... hmm, that was a complication he DIDN'T need...... The caustic voice of Jenkins hauled him back to reality --"Mr HYDE - I said, did you KNOW Kirsty Sutherland had been paying regular study visits to Sally Fletcher's house during the HSC coursework period ? --- and if you DID !- do you now consider that to have been WISE ..?" Barry gave an inward groan - the organized, uncluttered life he craved seemed to be reversing out of sight at perilously high speed....

Ric sat and waited - still extremely uncertain about the nature of this

visit - but wanting it to become apparent without undue prompting from him.

He may only have seen them on one previous occasion, but he was still well

aware of who they were. Brandon, the 5 year old son of Tony Richards sat

quietly on a chair looking out of the window at the busily developing

Summer Bay morning - and Ric couldn't help but wince inwardly as the

pleasantly golden beams of the steadily elevating sun picked out the harsh

dark stain of the black eye on the infant's left side.

Having refused Ric's offer to send for some drinks, it was some time before

Lorraine, Richards's unfortunate wife found her voice to speak again.

"You know who we are of course ?" she eventually asked in a diffident tone.

Ric nodded slowly - he wasn't likely to have forgotten his introduction to

the Richards clan a few days back when he'd intervened at the roadside and

punched his "uncle" full in the face to prevent the youngster absorbing the

brunt of Richards' ugly temper.

"Well..." she went on hesitantly. "you've probably worked out what he's

like--and I think it's just got to stop somewhere..." Ric felt the check

he'd been keeping on his thoughts and emotions begin to loosen. "Too damn

right !" he said forcefully - "why do you stay anywhere NEAR a mongrel like

that ? I'd like to..." She held up one hand for him to stop "Oh believe me,

I agree - but I can sort out things for Bran and me, and I WILL. On the

other hand though, if he gets his claws into YOU -- that's why I just had to

tell you , no matter what." Ric wrinkled his brow in puzzlement. "Tell me

what ?"

She didn’t answer directly, but carried on as if releasing all her pent up thoughts in manageable chunks. “ As soon as we got here, he never gave much thought to Brandon or me – guess that was no change at all really – but he was straight off drinking while we were stuck in this little boarding house with hardly enough room to breathe. But…†she said, ruefully fingering her bruised and tender cheekbone “…arguing about it just wasn’t on the menu – or ---“ her eyes began to mist up as she looked across at Brandon who was by now indulging in a lively game of face-pulling with a seagull which had landed on the window ledge outside.

Ric was attempting manfully to keep his rising anger and indignation at what the two had suffered in check. “All he ever did talk about in the few minutes when we DID see him was how he was going to pay you out for that punch. Well yesterday he’d gone out and I thought I ought to bring Brandon here to see about that….eye…†She began to fill up again, but continued..†He asked if we could go for a walk by the beach first – we don’t have a beach where we live, and he just LOVES it….†A smile broke temporarily through her troubled features, but passed behind a cloud again just as quickly. “While we were walking, we saw Tony staggering out of that bar place…â€

“Noah’s ?†said Ric

“Yes – and he went over to a bike which was tied to a post just nearby…†Ric was bolt upright by now and totally tuned in to every syllable “We were a little way away – he couldn’t see us of course- but he definitely took something out of his pocket- and he DEFINITELY did something to the bike…..†Ric was by now an odd combination of completely stunned and incandescent with rage --- “You mean he tried to KILL me….†Lorraine fell silent – over by the window the seagull grew tired of second place in the face-pulling game and wheeled away in a haughty retreat….

For a fine, fresh summer morning, the Hunter house was draped in a distinctly claustrophobic air . Beth and Henry were both pacing restlessly in anticipation of the phone ringing – but for decidedly different reasons. Beth was growing more troubled by the minute about the lack of a call from Scott. He always let her know when one of the night trips on the Blackslund was safely finished, and though she had tried calling, his cellphone was always on voice mail and land line seemingly permanently giving the busy signal. So – on the one or two occasions the phone had rung that morning she’d swooped upon it like the canniest bird of prey tracking in on its target , only to be disappointed, frustrated and even annoyed by two sales calls and a wrong number. Meanwhile on the other side of the room, Henry’s actions had been far more akin to the panic-stricken sparrow attempting to evade the predator’s dive – jolting wildly at the first sign of the bell and sloping quickly out of the room in order to eavesdrop the call from a safe distance. Unaware of the shocking news Lorraine Richards was currently imparting to Ric, he was living in fear of Peter Baker calling to make good his promise – or had it been threat ? – of “ we’ll talk again about this†– and having to explain just WHY he’d acted so suspiciously at Leon’s house the previous day.

While Beth’s attention was largely fixed on Scott, her mother’s instinct was still sparing a significant portion of attention for the ongoing “situation†between Kit and Matilda. The sisters were currently perched alongside one another on stools at the edge of the dining table where they clearly thought she couldn’t hear them. They were only partly right , as she tuned into hoarsely whispered phrases such as “irresponsible†and “butt out†the “firefighter†within her told her to wade straight in – the diplomat side of her nature counselled a little more patience. At that moment though she again became the peregrine falcon in downward flight as the phone bell sounded and she tore the receiver from its stand. “Scott !! – are you alright ?? What ? Well what the hell’s been going on ??†The three other heads in the room all pit their agendas on temporary hold and swivelled eagerly in search of news..

Both Beth and Scott had found it impossible to contact the land line number as Hayley was acting on the inspiration that had visited her just before sleep had the previous night. The issue of the mysterious Trudi whose affectionately-worded card had tumbled so revealingly from Jesse’s pocket had continued to gnaw away at her. She needed to get close to the kind of truth Jess himself would be furious to even be quizzed about. And – the card was one of that type which has the sender’s name, address – and most crucially phone number- ready embossed on the inside front cover. So now – having emboldened herself with two cups of strong coffee – Operation “3-30 AM†was ready for action. She sat at the table, breathed in, closed her eyes and dialled the number. She knew it was a strategy with only a 50 per cent chance of success - but one she felt compelled to pursue. One large gulp later and the call was answered at the other end by a pleasant sounding female voice – she guessed maybe in its mid-20’s ? Bingo ! she thought – surely this was indeed her target ?

“Hello “ said Hayley assuming the silky but rather false tones seemingly employed by all such callers “, my name’s Kimberley from Daybreak Cosmetics – we’re planning to open a salon in your area soon, and I have some free treatment vouchers to offer – but I wonder if you’d mind just answering a few questions first ?†She held her breath, but the voice just briefly giggled before saying “Ooh , sounds great – yes I’ll give it a go !†Hayley silently punched the air and her alter-ego Kimberley set off on some stock questions which had soon provided her with a wealth pf information – Trudi Miller, age 24, a secretary, living at an address in Mangrove River – NOT married – but Hayley crossed her fingers as she pressed on to deliver what she considered to be the most crucial question - “Are you in a steady relationship at this time - we like to know if we can expect boyfriends buying those special occasion presents from us !†She sincerely hoped she still sounded light and airy enough, and breath held she heard a slight gap, another giggle and an answer which said “ Um – ah – Yes, I think you probably could say – yes !†It was then Trudi’s turn to absorb a period of silence as Hayley/Kimberley's mouth dropped open – the pieces that appeared to be coming together made any immediate answer hard to summon up…

Josie was attempting to “tough it out†with Peter Baker, but felt somehow she was doing so from a very unsteady foundation “So what exactly is it you feel you’ve uncovered here Detective ?†she demanded with an assumed air of nonchalance that was at best 50 per cent convincing – and knowing her as he did – he knew it.

“What I’m interested in. “ he said “is why YOU choose to return to Summer Bay in the dead of night for a rendezvous in an extremely secluded location with – HIM ..!â€

Stafford McRae had finished towelling his hair dry – he threw the damp item onto the bed and gave a short laugh

“Why Detective Baker, I’m extremely flattered to be the subject of such obviously close co-operation between the forces of law and order here, but I'm a little fascinated as to why you’re quite so interested to see me here !â€

Peter shot back in an equally confident tone “ Oh Mr McRae, try your close association with a man who installed spy cameras at a private house in Summer Bay, your helping him- along with Miss Russell here – to swipe Tasha Andrews back and forth like a tennis ball over a large amount of inheritance money – and of course some sharp practice in acquiring the rights to Danni Sutherland’s book and even your role in effectively breaking up her marriage – shall I go on ?â€

McRAe looked predictably unflustered – even at hearing such a catalogue, but did briskly move his manner to the businesslike. “OK Detective – as I’m sure enough hours of ferreting on the police department computer would enable you to discover this anyway – here’s the deal. I confess – the person of mystery – “sleeping partner†or whatever you care to call it to whom Josie sold her share of Noah’s Bar was indeed me, “ Peter raised his eyebrows –“ and – there were some details that had arisen and could only b sorted out here on the ground itself . So – I asked Miss Russell to meet me here , and , well – who ever said that business couldn’t also have a pleasurable side to it ?†He sent Peter an enigmatic look while Josie smiled coyly and a little challengingly in Peter’s direction. But McRae continued “I have been a bad boy…†Josie’s smile grew a little wider “…but …ah… not in the way that either of you are maybe thinking right now…†- puzzled frowns from the other two…â€um – one thing I did actually NEGLECT to tell Miss Russell before we – ah – adjourned last night – I have already actually SOLD my share – and some of the problems that go along with it of course… to somebody else entirely….â€

After a brief but sliceable silence – “You’ve WHAT !!!!??†exploded from Josie’s astounded lips – and this time it was Peter Baker’s turn to wear the enigmatic and widening smile…….

:) Thanks so much again for the nice comments - do hope you can continue to enjoy it :)

**PART 21**

Kirsty shifted uneasily against the damp wooden wall of the hut and reacted with emphatic disapproval to the suggestion she’d just heard from her husband, “NO babe that wouldn’t just be risky, that would be MADNESS – we’d be cutting our own throats !†Her desire to sort through this mess and prove Kane’s innocence burned as bright as ever, but the way they were being forced to go about it – the enforced secrecy, the headlong flight from the caravan park, the average to miserable living conditions were beginning to take something of a toll. “But Kirst, “ he countered – genuinely earnest “. we have to do SOMETHING, right ?†The chances of my mongrel father even KEEPING a job very long are pretty slim, so I say we have to strike while the iron’s hot. You saw the other night how involving other people just gets very messy, and from what Jess was saying, Sally’s not exactly dancing forward to do what we want, is she ?†Kirsty was forced to agree – but it wasn’t enough to stave off a combined shiver of foreboding and an uncomfortably piercing draught playing round her ankles. The two were temporarily situated in a small but well secluded boat supply shed around 15 minutes down the coast from the Bay – it was somewhere Kane had recalled they infrequently used to drop off and later collect unwanted bulky items on certain trips with the Blackslund. Kirsty had been grateful to retreat for shelter there after their hairsbreadth escape from Peter Baker the other night, but now it was Kane’s ambitiously daring plans for the next stage of their undercover campaign that held her in a grip of highly uncertain apprehension.

Kane was again spelling out the plan formulating in his mind “Yes –that side window by the delivery door NEVER shut properly – I even noticed it still didn’t when I came to visit you there – and it’s NOT that far from Sal’s study ! I could be in there – on and off that computer in no time and be out with the details of where Gus is working !! You TOLD me you heard her tell Flynn that time she’d changed all her passwords to PIPPA coz it was easier to remember !! Babe this could be our big chance !†And, with a sudden, decisive twist, he turned to face her “And I think we should do it TONIGHT = what could go wrong !? – Kirst ?â€

The look on her face would have indicated to anyone less fiercely focused than he was at that moment, that she’d probably just about broken into double figures at that moment in a mental list of things that COULD (and quite possibly WOULD .....) go wrong....

Scott was unshaven, unhappy and extremely uncomfortable as he walked with Beth away from the small police station at Blue Cove, the small village just up the coast where he’d docked the Blackslund the previous evening.

“So run it by me again…†said Beth, her brow wrinkled with concern, “ they think you’ve been doing WHAT ?†Scott could only semi-stifle a sigh of weary exasperation – he’d told this story to the police over a dozen times in the last few hours – and such close acquaintance had NOT made him any fonder of it.

Breathing in deeply. He intoned “ I’d suspected these guys for some time, but no proof. This trip I tried searching the bags but got sprung. They went ashore to do WHATEVER – the water police guys come on – I get four and a half hours of foul police station tea – that’s it !â€

Beth’s penetrating stare never left his face – “Yes, but what have they been DOING ? “ Another sigh from Scott as they reached Beth’s car “ I THINK gunrunning .†Her jaw dropped…Scott continued “My guess was they were using me – from a quiet launching area… shuffle them off bit by bit at small places like Blue Cove and Lime Ridge – then it’s off as fast as you like to East Timor or wherever…but the police thought I was part of it – so now I’m only out on bail.†As Scott outlined his gunrunning theory , the keenest eye may just have caught the smallest flicker on the face of a desk sergeant who’d gone off duty and was entering the car two down from theirs. DS Mclaren , having registered Scott’s East Timor theory raised an inward eyebrow and thought how VERY far wide of the mark he was, from the back office talk that HE’D heard, that was for sure…

Scott turned to Beth as she started the engine…â€UM, there WAS one other reason why I asked you to come and give me a lift…..†The handbrake was jerked up..Beth turned , mouth in a tight line – to receive the next episode of the day’s developing intrigue…,

Jesse had arrived early at the hospital to take Sally home-but if he was hoping the atmosphere between them would have thawed to any degree, he was soon set straight. She gave him the barest acknowledgement on his arrival and they rounded up and packed her few belongings in virtual silence.

As Sally put on her coat and made for the door, she was halted by a strangely plaintive Jesse – “Sal – wait - we HAVE to talk about this – I KNOW I goofed with Kirsty and Kane…†Sally jammed a forefinger savagely onto her lips and hissed “Oh just tell EVERYONE who you’ve been knocking around with why don’t you !!!!†He held both hands up “ok ok – sorry ! – and I know what you said about the school stuff too – but come on, I WAS in a tough position – and I didn’t actually KNOW they’d turned UP – let alone with Colleen the other night –“ He stopped briefly as they both reacted with quizzical expressions to the sound of muffled but distinctly raised voices from just down the corridor. Jesse though used the pause to press home his point – “Sal, TRULY my ONLY priority in all this has been YOU ! Since I got that call at the bar the other night, all I’ve been thinking of is getting YOU back home and looking after you – you MUST know that !!â€

The first signs of a crack in her 24 hour shield of disapproval - she sighed, put her hand on his shoulder and said “I know – I’m sorry – and you have been great – it’s just all seemed to crowd in on me – wipe it all away-deal ??†He laughed at her introduction of their pet phrase and joined her in rubbing at the air with an imaginary cloth “Deal !†he smiled, and –pointing at the piece of ait he’d been rubbing, added “See – all gone!â€

They linked hands, and eased out of the room – becoming increasingly aware of the stridently determined voice emerging from lower down the passage. Jesse turned to her and added “But its great too about Ric isn’t it – I mean THAT Could have been SO much worse !!†She nodded “Oh TOO right – and you know Jess , while I’ll be thrilled to get Pippa back from Colleen , – having Ric in the house has just made it seem DOUBLY like a family, don’t you think ?â€

He squeezed tighter and noted approvingly “ You sure got that right…†He broke off at the door of a room ahead and slightly to their left squeezed its way open and Sandra Malone appeared looking more than a little flustered and attempting to propel Donald Fisher back inside the room –“Mister FISHER – I must INSIST you go back insi….†She stopped, sighting Sally and Jesse, and shooting them a semi-apologetic, semi-helpless look, said “I’m really sorry –he’s MOST insistent on talking to you…â€

“Yes, we heard him in the car-park..†muttered Jesse under his breath- Sally dug him hard in the ribs and said “Yes , it’ll be nice to see him and have a word…!†As they filed in to Fisher’s room, a relieved Sandra raised her eyebrows and said quietly to herself “Oh, I WOULDN’T be so sure….!†The door closed ominously behind her – she inwardly wished them the luck she believed they’d need as she set off up the passage..

Alf was in a decidedly chirpy mood as he drove back from his week’s fishing trip. He’d been weighed down by financial concerns when he’d left a week previously – he’d had to admit to himself the worrying truth that the Blackslund wasn’t even covering its own costs, and if something radical didn’t happen the implications to all were obvious. He’d also taken with him some nagging doubts that Martha could be getting herself into another unsuitable relationship – judging from some of her recent very secretive and evasive behaviour. BUT – the money concerns had hung heaviest.

AND now – having happened by accident upon the very busy local fishing club at the village of Gold Acre where he’d stayed – he’d already secured three very lucrative charters with the promise of more to come – and an invaluable influx of funds. Alf smiled and thought it was news worth conveying immediately – he leant over and punched Scott’s number “Hey Scott, it’s Alf Stewart… yeah mate, but listen…….it’s been WHAT !!…….IMPOUNDED - by the police !!…what the heck do you MEAN impounded ??..but I’ve……YOU better have a VERY good explanation for this young man……!!! Alf’s attention suddenly veered back with ferocious clarity to the road ahead of him – just as the two-part container lorry coming the other way missed its bend – and was waltzing wildly towards his car….

Compared to the atmosphere between them the previous evening after they’d “adjourned†their meeting for the night , any random check on the dynamic between Josie and Stafford McRae as they sat at the oak business table in their Sands resort bedroom would have noted as huge and sudden a plunge in temperature as if an iceberg had been dropped on the Amazon jungle.

Peter Baker had remained long enough to ask some further probing questions – almost all skilfully deflected by the warring duo…. And also to wring a few more drops of enjoyment from Josie’s discomfiture- that was something he couldn’t help enjoying. That left the two of them – and it was the personal affront that was clearly rankling most with her “It’s the fact that you were QUITE happy to…EXTEND … yesterday beyond work – when the FANCY took you – but oh no, I’m not even good enough to TELL when you sell your share in this bar….this PROBLEM…..this pain in the….â€

“I don’t recall any detailed objections being lodged last night Ms Russell..†he remarked in a brisk fashion she found hugely annoying. She also found infuriating the way that even at this early hour he was already impeccably groomed and turned out – the trousers of an off-the-peg grey suit with an open neck white shirt – while she felt unkempt, irritable, and seemingly in her constant position with McRae of being behind the 8 ball while he strode round the pool table directing operations.

“So do you get off on treating women like this ?? Any running totals of your conquests ? Easy come, easy go ?? “

McRae predicyably ignored her taunts, saying merely “I simply need you to witness and counter-sign some of these forms so the new third party has all the necessary legal documentation – “ – he passed over three forms, pointing and indicating “Sign there – there –and there…and I think our business will be done.â€

Still muttering bitterly about men like McRae being ten a penny – not worth the trouble- nothing special anyway---she suddenly jerked upwards on the point of signing one of the forms and snapped immediately “You’re telling me THIS is who you’ve sold out to ??â€

“It is, and your objection would be…..?†came his clipped reply.. he squared off the other pile of papers and slid them into his briefcase He held out his hand for the remaining form, but she was holding it with both hands, eyes boring towards the name at the top. “No, it’s impossible – it, it just can’t be……!!†..

Archived