What are the best seasons from the Early Years?

Skylover

On 14/12/2022 at 00:26, cymbaline said:

I'm not crazy about that first 1988 season. It brought us some well-remembered moments but it's a curate's egg for me. It's quite boring and uneven in places, though it definitely improved as the year went on. I am sorry that they've not made the later, better seasons available on Amazon Prime because the first season is no advertisement for the show. I have a soft spot for 1991 because Pippa married Michael, Karen turned into a delinquent, Bobby fostered Sam and we were treated to memorable baddies  like Revhead, Lois Crawford, Tracey Turner and Auntie Jean. Irene also made her first appearance but she was scary!

I really agree that 1991 was a decent year. For me it was also quite a pivotal year. I used to think the death of Tom and change in Pippa were the things that shifted H&A to another era, but I think the departures of Steven and Carly, along with Pippa and Michael's wedding and introduction of Irene, Damien, Finlay, Nick and Lucinda really rephrased the show as it was until the introduction of Shannon, Rob and Donna in the autumn of 1994.

For that reason I'd say the calender year of October 1994 - October 1995 was better than the totality of 1995. Christmas 1994 was great for example.

But every great period had it's downsides. 94-95 was good, but not so much Angel's moaning and groaning all the time.

1991 had the beginnings of the love triangle which was incredibly annoying. 

I agree with most of these responses.

I personally judge an "era" more by the storytelling methodology (as well as the coverage of issues, types of underscores used, level of comedy etc) more so than the presence of characters (although the latter is definitely a secondary "determiner"). Often, this is tied to the Production team at the said time being viewed.

For the 88-99 period, I see 3 key "master eras" (with lots of "sub-eras" below that).

1. First 80-90 eps. The show is finding its feet, as all soaps do in their first few months. I find much of this point full but I appreciate it for what it is and, thus, give this period a well deserved "fair go".

2. Rest of 88 - end of Dodge story. Truly excellent period. Not bettered until mid 95 - late 97 imho. The show shines from the genius that is Bevan Lee (although he had already left by the final part of this era). 

3. Late 89 / first few eps of 90 - random as hell. I refuse to re-watch a lot of this period.

4. Early 90 - early / mid 95 - the slow paced, slightly conservative era of Andrew Howie. This period has my earliest memories of the show, so will always view it from a (perhaps undeserved) unique perspective. There's some great stuff in this period but, looking back, also some absolute drivel (especially in much of 90, in later 92 and most of 94). The whole series has a very down to earth feel. 

5. The "classic era" (mid 95 - late 97) - for me, this doesn't really get going until Laura is hit by the train. Whilst the dullness of 94 picks up with the arrivals of Shannon, Curtis and Selina, the show is still being written as it was in the previous era, with stories about paper rounds and sausages. As most will agree, I find this to be an excellent period. Yes, it does feel weird once Michael, Angel, Shane etc leave but 97 carries on with the same tone for me.

6. Late 97 - end of 99: similar to the last era but with more teens than ever and the balance of character driven / plot driven goes off course. Perhaps I'd change that perspective if more episodes were available from this period ?

I think all of 1988 was quite good. It was slow in places but creator Alan Bateman fought to keep the show on air. Apparently H&A was only meant to be a one off 20 episode series about Tom and Pippa and the fostering family, but when Seven wanted a new show to replace Neighbours, the idea for H&A became a all year round 5 day a week serial. This may be why the show was shaky after the first few weeks.

• 1 month later...

Archived