Miracles in Summer Bay! Disappearing disabilities

voyager50

Neighbours is guilty of ignoring disability too they had Lori Lee (Jack Scully’s girlfriend) become paralysed in about 2002 after she fell into a pool she was in a wheelchair for a short time but got better miraculously same for Stephen Gotlieb in 1993ish and Toadie a few years ago Glen Donnelly was told he’d never walk again after falling from the roof of Lassiters in 1991 but a month or so later he was gone why are Neighbours and H&A so against having characters who aren’t perfect? As someone who is in a wheelchair I find this attitude from TPTB for both shows extremely offensive disabled people are not freaks we are people too and deserve representation in media so that we can feel we aren’t alone and I have to say it Political Correctness is not for some but not others and I feel both sets of TPTB need to be not forced but reminded that the disabled and mentally ill watch the programmes too and these conditions are for life 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been watching 1989 episodes again and Andrew Foley literally spent a few days in rehab and he seemed to be completely "cured" of his alcoholism. I know addiction isn't technically a disability, but it felt way too rushed. 

The writers did a good job with Carly's, even the build up, but Andrew's just came out of nowhere and gone even more quickly. 

On 29/05/2019 at 16:11, Bobby Forever Missed said:

Neighbours is guilty of ignoring disability too they had Lori Lee (Jack Scully’s girlfriend) become paralysed in about 2002 after she fell into a pool she was in a wheelchair for a short time but got better miraculously same for Stephen Gotlieb in 1993ish and Toadie a few years ago Glen Donnelly was told he’d never walk again after falling from the roof of Lassiters in 1991 but a month or so later he was gone why are Neighbours and H&A so against having characters who aren’t perfect? As someone who is in a wheelchair I find this attitude from TPTB for both shows extremely offensive disabled people are not freaks we are people too and deserve representation in media so that we can feel we aren’t alone and I have to say it Political Correctness is not for some but not others and I feel both sets of TPTB need to be not forced but reminded that the disabled and mentally ill watch the programmes too and these conditions are for life 

Yes this is true - I think there's been moments when they forget about Paul's leg at times as well, and there was maybe a scene where they accidentally showed his leg (since he's usually in suits)? or he forgot to limp.

I wonder if this is why H&A waited until Maddy/Kassandra was almost due to leave before they make her disabled, because they felt it was easier than working her wardrobe around hiding her arm. Its a shame though as I would've liked to see her adjust to having one arm a bit more.

On 29/05/2019 at 23:11, Bobby Forever Missed said:

Bobby Forever Missed - Have you seen 'The Heights'? 

It's a programme on the ABC which features Bridie McKinley as Sabine who has mild cerebral palsy. 

2 hours ago, Sunny Girl said:

Bobby Forever Missed - Have you seen 'The Heights'? 

It's a programme on the ABC which features Bridie McKinley as Sabine who has mild cerebral palsy. 

Not seen it but certainly heard of it glad that a show is representing people like me though, a shame Neighbours and H&A pick and choose the minorities they want to represent (no offence to the LBGT Community of course)

Archived