Carly Morris - Sharyn Hodgson

My guess is that Carly ended up as a full-time mum for years, looking after the kids. I seem to remember her saying something along the lines of Ben being away a lot when she returned at a later date. That was probably the best solution for them to stay together. Even though Carly changed her mind about being an army wife, would her misgivings about that life really have dissipated? Ben's friends Dave and Pete certainly weren't good advertisements for the military and you'd hope Carly made some friends of her own. 

• Thanks 1

• 8 months later...

So on the early years instagram page they made video of how horrible Ben was. Really worth the watch. I've mentioned it in an earlier post. They could have played that relationship as a really believable toxic, domestic abuse storyline but it was a little ahead of it time instead got played off as normal 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

I saw that! It's interesting to see that just about everybody who replied in the comments agreed. If they were to lift as much of those original scripts as possible and stitch them into modern-day Home and Away, it'd get a very different reaction. I'd love to know if the writers were sneaking some domestic abuse storyline into the show, or if it's just of its time. Ben wasn't the only male character whose views hadn't evolved since the 1950s. 

Pippa was one of the people urging Carly to get back with Ben. This was the same woman who dumped the man she loved (Michael) and tried to push him back into an unhappy relationship with his ex-wife. Then she urged Bobby to take Greg back, even though he had cheated on her. When PIppa and Michael were getting married, the other arc running through the episodes was the question of Carly and Ben getting back together again. In hindsight, it would've made for a great contrast if Carly had decided that she was better off staying single and sent Ben away. When you look at all those incidents in the one go it's hard to see how Carly and Ben could work well as a couple. 

• Sad 2