Jump to content

Carly Morris - Sharyn Hodgson


Recommended Posts

I'm not sure I'd she already has a thread. I've gone back a while to see. 

I see Carly as one of the ultimate 80s characters. In fashion more than anything else. But her character means more to me than that. When listening to the Carly theme I get a sense of really knowing that character. The person who wanted so much more out of life, full of hopes and dreams but never having the luck or talent to get there. Wanting better than Lance and Martin but always messing it up with the hot ones. A character full of flawes but a decent person. Someone's who's has had a ****ty beginning in life despite having money. Second best to a favourite sibling. Hard exterior soft inside in a very different way and less obvious way to Bobby. 

Thats is until Ben arrives. By giving Carly a husband who loves her (despite imo controlling behaviour towards her) ended Carly's anxed and her relatability in one go and killed her character. From the marriage, there was the death knell for her character which for an original was a real shame. I'm not sure if Sharyn wanted to leave, but Julian surely did and that's why we lost her. And I feel beCause of that we didn't even get a proper last episode for a character we have followed since the beginning. Arguable the main one in the second part of 88. 

She should have never been given that happy ever after story that cut her story arc so short. 

I love Bobby. But love Carly equally as much. I feel that she should have been brought back, if she wanted to, in an ideal world when Bobby left. On Carly's return  you can really see Sharyn being faithful to Carly's personality. 

Anyway, basically my point is as a Carly fan, her last 6 months in the show made me feel a little cheated. Does anyone else feels the same? Or think I am talking a load of tish tosh, as Marilyn would say 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Blaxland 89 said:

I'm not sure I'd she already has a thread. I've gone back a while to see. 

I see Carly as one of the ultimate 80s characters. In fashion more than anything else. But her character means more to me than that. When listening to the Carly theme I get a sense of really knowing that character. The person who wanted so much more out of life, full of hopes and dreams but never having the luck or talent to get there. Wanting better than Lance and Martin but always messing it up with the hot ones. A character full of flawes but a decent person. Someone's who's has had a ****ty beginning in life despite having money. Second best to a favourite sibling. Hard exterior soft inside in a very different way and less obvious way to Bobby. 

Thats is until Ben arrives. By giving Carly a husband who loves her (despite imo controlling behaviour towards her) ended Carly's anxed and her relatability in one go and killed her character. From the marriage, there was the death knell for her character which for an original was a real shame. I'm not sure if Sharyn wanted to leave, but Julian surely did and that's why we lost her. And I feel beCause of that we didn't even get a proper last episode for a character we have followed since the beginning. Arguable the main one in the second part of 88. 

She should have never been given that happy ever after story that cut her story arc so short. 

I love Bobby. But love Carly equally as much. I feel that she should have been brought back, if she wanted to, in an ideal world when Bobby left. On Carly's return  you can really see Sharyn being faithful to Carly's personality. 

Anyway, basically my point is as a Carly fan, her last 6 months in the show made me feel a little cheated. Does anyone else feels the same? Or think I am talking a load of tish tosh, as Marilyn would say 

Do you have examples of this? In a way, maybe that is what her character needed. Look at her relationship with Gary Samuels.

I agree with @KKB I was hoping to hear that Carly ended up with Matt. How did they end? 

She should have never been given that happy ever after story

 

I was thinking this the other day, If anything, I expected her character to be killed off or at the very least, left Summer Bay in shame after another selfish act backfired and left her in a mess. Sharyn Hodgson is a really good actress, she really captured all the emotions of Carly. I wouldn't have minded Carly having a happy ever after but years down the road, not so soon, it stunted her character. Like you said maybe Sharyn wanted to leave. 

Edited by Summer's Bay
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Summer's Bay said:

Do you have examples of this? In a way, maybe that is what her character needed. Look at her relationship with Gary Samuels.

I agree with @KKB I was hoping to hear that Carly ended up with Matt. How did they end? 

She should have never been given that happy ever after story

 

I was thinking this the other day, If anything, I expected her character to be killed off or at the very least, left Summer Bay in shame after another selfish act backfired and left her in a mess. Sharyn Hodgson is a really good actress, she really captured all the emotions of Carly. I wouldn't have minded Carly having a happy ever after but years down the road, not so soon, it stunted her character. Like you said maybe Sharyn wanted to leave. 

Im glad someone agrees with me @Summer's Bay

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, KKB said:

Im glad someone agrees with me @Summer's Bay

Ok. But remember this is just a personal opinion and some examples I can think of. I'm not saying I'm right but it's just how I saw it. Apart from the examples I think in general he had some very outdated views on marriage even in 1990. 

1. Threatening to call of the marriage if it was in summer bay. He didn't in the end so I see this as being manipulative. Saying there was no way his family could travel over which was a blatant lie. And he didn't even asked. Just assumed that it would happen and all the fletchers would leave to go. 

2. Through their time, the way he went on and on about her having children. Even when she was clear she didn't want to have them yet. Making her feel bad. 

3, Once she innocently spoke to some one about a problem. He said she shouldn't discuss things to anyone. Shouting out her loudly and slammed his fist on the table. Ordering her not to do it. If you can get chance to see it again to. He was being very intimidating. Yet he spoke about Carly to people all the time. Bearing in mind Carly was abused as a child. Something they all seem to forget when it comes to they way they treat her but her husband never seemed bothered. 

4. If she bought things he'd make her take things back as too expensive. But he didn't consulte her. Or Pippa for that matter in buying keeping a goat on her land. 

4b. Again, and Pippa is partly to blame. Goin on and on at her about seeing her nan even though she repeatedly said she didn't want to. Then, ended up going against her back and putting something in the paper I believe? If that was the other way round he would have gone ballistic. 

5.  She didn't want to live on farm and she knew this would make her unhappy. Yet, despite this he made her feel like she was so selfish not doing what she wanted he again wore her down. Including setting up that meal and trying to get the owners to persuade her. When that didn't work he did the poor me routine. Then it ended up just being the shed and guess what. The manipulating sod didn't tell her until it was too late. 

6. Despite all this he then joined the army again after Carly had done everything he wanted. 

We didn't care about Ben. Carly was the one we had followed and watched grow yet even her last episode was more about him

Its like he constantly played on this Carly is selfish routine but that was before he came in it. He seems to treat her like a child not an equal. 

My point is I just think we lost her once the wedding was over. The writers stuck her in a corner. I think Carly was always stronger on her own. The difference with the other boyfriends is that it wasn't long turn and a story was usually attached to it. 

 

In general I feel that a character is always stronger when the are focused an individually. So many strong characters get ruined when the writers start to rely on another one to give them things to do. Don't get me wrong. Some couples sparked off so well together we it really works. And the characters give to each and are just as strong. Michael an Pippa don and maz etc. But others ruin the character. This is why I feel Leah has floatecfor years. Not enough attention has been given to who she is. It's always another husband as they don't know what to do with her single. Vinnie was a fascinating character too before they tied him down. 

Edited by Blaxland 89
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Matt and Carly ended as she treated him badly when she was drinking heavily and I guess his feelings changed. When she was trying hard to give up the booze he felt bad and continued the relationship but by then his feelings had gone. He came clean as he realised the kindness thing to do for Carly was to be honest. Later on in the series she seems far to grown up for him. As Matt seems to regress as the show went on. 

Edited by Blaxland 89
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Blaxland 89 said:

Matt and Carly ended as she treated him badly when she was drinking heavily and I guess his feelings changed. When she was trying hard to give up the booze he felt bad and continued the relationship but by then his feelings had gone. He came clean as he realised the kindness thing to do for Carly was to be honest. Later on in the series she seems far to grown up for him. As Matt seems to regress as the show went on. 

Shame. I think Matt really did like Carly with all her faults.  I think she was always look for something better than Matt but he was always the default guy she went back to  because he cared about her so much and she knew it. I'm surprised the writers didn't pair Carly and Brett together, that is the type of guy she wanted. 

2 hours ago, Blaxland 89 said:

Ok. But remember this is just a personal opinion and some examples I can think of. I'm not saying I'm right but it's just how I saw it. Apart from the examples I think in general he had some very outdated views on marriage even in 1990. 

1. Threatening to call of the marriage if it was in summer bay. He didn't in the end so I see this as being manipulative. Saying there was no way his family could travel over which was a blatant lie. And he didn't even asked. Just assumed that it would happen and all the fletchers would leave to go. 

2. Through their time, the way he went on and on about her having children. Even when she was clear she didn't want to have them yet. Making her feel bad. 

3, Once she innocently spoke to some one about a problem. He said she shouldn't discuss things to anyone. Shouting out her loudly and slammed his fist on the table. Ordering her not to do it. If you can get chance to see it again to. He was being very intimidating. Yet he spoke about Carly to people all the time. Bearing in mind Carly was abused as a child. Something they all seem to forget when it comes to they way they treat her but her husband never seemed bothered. 

4. If she bought things he'd make her take things back as too expensive. But he didn't consulte her. Or Pippa for that matter in buying keeping a goat on her land. 

4b. Again, and Pippa is partly to blame. Goin on and on at her about seeing her nan even though she repeatedly said she didn't want to. Then, ended up going against her back and putting something in the paper I believe? If that was the other way round he would have gone ballistic. 

5.  She didn't want to live on farm and she knew this would make her unhappy. Yet, despite this he made her feel like she was so selfish not doing what she wanted he again wore her down. Including setting up that meal and trying to get the owners to persuade her. When that didn't work he did the poor me routine. Then it ended up just being the shed and guess what. The manipulating sod didn't tell her until it was too late. 

6. Despite all this he then joined the army again after Carly had done everything he wanted. 

We didn't care about Ben. Carly was the one we had followed and watched grow yet even her last episode was more about him

Its like he constantly played on this Carly is selfish routine but that was before he came in it. He seems to treat her like a child not an equal. 

My point is I just think we lost her once the wedding was over. The writers stuck her in a corner. I think Carly was always stronger on her own. The difference with the other boyfriends is that it wasn't long turn and a story was usually attached to it. 

 

In general I feel that a character is always stronger when the are focused an individually. So many strong characters get ruined when the writers start to rely on another one to give them things to do. Don't get me wrong. Some couples sparked off so well together we it really works. And the characters give to each and are just as strong. Michael an Pippa don and maz etc. But others ruin the character. This is why I feel Leah has floatecfor years. Not enough attention has been given to who she is. It's always another husband as they don't know what to do with her single. Vinnie was a fascinating character too before they tied him down. 

Thank you for the examples. I think the type of character Carly has, she needed a guy to "dominate" her that is why she was able to treat Matt badly because he wasn't that guy.

In some way, it also feels like Carly "settled"

Was Carly upset when Mr Foley stated dating Stacey Macklin?

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Summer's Bay said:

Shame. I think Matt really did like Carly with all her faults.  I think she was always look for something better than Matt but he was always the default guy she went back to  because he cared about her so much and she knew it. I'm surprised the writers didn't pair Carly and Brett together, that is the type of guy she wanted. 

Thank you for the examples. I think the type of character Carly has, she needed a guy to "dominate" her that is why she was able to treat Matt badly because he wasn't that guy.

In some way, it also feels like Carly "settled"

Was Carly upset when Mr Foley stated dating Stacey Macklin?

No she was well and truly over him by then 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • QUIET ACHIEVER changed the title to Carly Morris - Sharyn Hodgson

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.