Ray Meagher originally auditioned for Tom Fletcher. How would that have changed the show?

adam436

So according to Wikipedia, Ray Meager originally auditioned for Tom Fletcher before being cast as Alf. How would that have changed the show? 

Would Ray have stayed as long as he has? Would Vanessa Downing have left in 1990, since it's been widely cited the main reason she left was because she missed working with Roger Oakley? Would Tom have the same iconic status that Alf does, even with Ray in the role? 

I feel like if Tom Fletcher (played by Ray) was still around in 2010, Georgie Parker probably would have been cast as Carly (since Georgie was too old to play Lynn) instead of Roo. Other than that, I think Tom would have basically had Alf's storylines from 2005ish onwards. 

On a similar note, I also read that Ross Higgins (aka Ted Bullpitt) auditioned for Alf Stewart, which may have greatly impacted the show. Ross passed away last year, but he was also much older than Ray, which may have affected the casting of Ailsa and even Celia.. 

22 hours ago, adam436 said:

So according to Wikipedia, Ray Meager originally auditioned for Tom Fletcher before being cast as Alf. How would that have changed the show? 

Would Ray have stayed as long as he has? Would Vanessa Downing have left in 1990, since it's been widely cited the main reason she left was because she missed working with Roger Oakley? Would Tom have the same iconic status that Alf does, even with Ray in the role? 

I feel like if Tom Fletcher (played by Ray) was still around in 2010, Georgie Parker probably would have been cast as Carly (since Georgie was too old to play Lynn) instead of Roo. Other than that, I think Tom would have basically had Alf's storylines from 2005ish onwards. 

On a similar note, I also read that Ross Higgins (aka Ted Bullpitt) auditioned for Alf Stewart, which may have greatly impacted the show. Ross passed away last year, but he was also much older than Ray, which may have affected the casting of Ailsa and even Celia.. 

Not sure if Ray would've suited the role of Tom or worn the short shorts ?

Justine Clarke auditioned for Bobby, Lynn and Carly. I can't imagine her in either of those roles. 

2 hours ago, adam436 said:

I could see her as Carly, but certainly not Lynn. 

Actually that might have worked better - then Lynn would have been a bit older so they could have given her more grown up story lines - they seemed to have trouble writing for her and hence wrote her out.

2 hours ago, adam436 said:

I could see her as Carly, but certainly not Lynn. 

Possibly, Justine plays the spoilt mean girl role very well however there is something about Sharyn, her timing, expressions etc that make the role perfect for her.

I'm baffled that the writers couldn't find adequate storylines for Lynn.  I think there are several storylines they could've explored.

On 27/11/2017 at 22:41, Summer's Bay said:

I'm baffled that the writers couldn't find adequate storylines for Lynn.  I think there are several storylines they could've explored.

Me too! I feel like most of what they gave Viv the following year (minus the Steven romance) could have worked for Lynn. The abusive dad, her friendship with Emma, the younger sister etc.

Archived