Channel 7 ratings success due to longevity of H&A & success of MKR

Pantherboy

15 hours ago, cadyctslover said:

^ And 300k viewers is actually very good for a digital-only channel.

I also believe there is something fishy going on with the way the ratings have been counted since they started doubling up on episodes on Thursdays. They always quote 'average' ratings per episode. I'm pretty sure they take the total ratings for the single episodes Monday-Wednesday, and the double Thursday episode, and then divide it by 4 (rather than 5) to get an 'average'.

Also take a look at the ratings for Neighbours vs. H&A in the UK. The shows are on the same channel and air 30mins apart, twice daily. And yet, Neighbours still outperforms H&A.

Regardless of the numbers, I still enjoy Neighbours far better.

Despite the ratings the show is such a draw in tourism to Melbourne I do not see it going away anytime soon,

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, samdanfan said:

Despite the ratings the show is such a draw in tourism to Melbourne I do not see it going away anytime soon,

Overseas tourism. In Australia there are people who probably don't know that Neighbours is still on, it gets that little of attention.

2 hours ago, dee123 said:

Overseas tourism. In Australia there are people who probably don't know that Neighbours is still on, it gets that little of attention.

Yes I am aware many in the outback could care if neighbours went away yet Many I Europe if they could would love to walk Ramsey Street

8 hours ago, samdanfan said:

Yes I am aware many in the outback could care if neighbours went away yet Many I Europe if they could would love to walk Ramsey Street

Outback? Try the city and suburbs. Neighbours is basically a joke these days.

42 minutes ago, dee123 said:

Outback? Try the city and suburbs. Neighbours is basically a joke these days.

I didn't think Ramsey Street would be appealing to the NT ( outside Darwin) or WA ( outside Perth) I think there 3 reasons of Neighbours problems.

1. bad writing

2. getting good actors and characters and then destroying them yet as a source told me its the dream of many beginning stars to get "known" and then move on the bigger things in the USA see Margot Robbie as the it example now.

3. teasing and being dishonest with the fans. If you knew some of the stories sources told me there the official reason actors leave and the REAL reason. I heard a lot of bad stories, I'm not shocked the show in the shape it is yet as long as Europe supports it will stay around  for awhile.

4 hours ago, samdanfan said:

I didn't think Ramsey Street would be appealing to the NT ( outside Darwin) or WA ( outside Perth) I think there 3 reasons of Neighbours problems.

1. bad writing

2. getting good actors and characters and then destroying them yet as a source told me its the dream of many beginning stars to get "known" and then move on the bigger things in the USA see Margot Robbie as the it example now.

3. teasing and being dishonest with the fans. If you knew some of the stories sources told me there the official reason actors leave and the REAL reason. I heard a lot of bad stories, I'm not shocked the show in the shape it is yet as long as Europe supports it will stay around  for awhile.

Agreed. The UK money is the only reason it's still on the air.

7 hours ago, dee123 said:

Agreed. The UK money is the only reason it's still on the air.

I heard the same from sources in Sydney and Melbourne. The UK is a BIG market and as long as they fund it they have a job as the fandom very devoted there see Neighbours fantics  as an example,

I agree, it is the current TV landscape (for want of a better word) which will likely keep both H&A and Neighbours on air for years to come. I would say these days with dozens more channels, not to mention pretty much unlimited access to video through the internet, it would be incredibly difficult to establish any new soap, unlike the days when there were only a few main channels to choose from. I also think the current younger generation are less likely than ever to watch mainstream TV, never mind commit long term to investing a couple of hours in a continuing drama every week.

I think as long as H&A (or Neighbours) is making a profit for the producers/shareholders, there isn't much chance of them going anywhere. However if either series ends up costing more to produce, than money it is generating, that would most likely signal the end. I don't think it will be down to boredom, quality, or running out of ideas (as you could say they both ran out of original ideas about 20 years ago :) ).

2 hours ago, Homeandawayfan. said:

I cannot see either of the 2 Aussie soaps going anywhere, if they do it will be many years from now. Why not keep two 3 decade old soaps going? Better than axing them and replacing them with 2 soaps that will not be a patch on them?

After reading all the new ideas pitched on Aussie TV site I can agree with you NO good ideas...........I wished both would picked up Upper middle Bogan and Please like me stories as I enjoy those better, Yet I found Aussie Tv lacking as sadly many have moved onto films Like margot and Chris.

Archived