2014 FIFA World Cup

Guest Slade

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Considering this is the third time he has done this, I think Suarez has been quite fortunate TBH. 4 months of football and 9 international games could mean he is playing club football at the end of October and International football at some point next year for Uruguay.

The draw for the second round looks quite interesting. Chile were really good in the first two games but I'm expecting Brazil to beat them pretty comfortably today. Think it will be a good game. Not sure about Uruguay/Columbia. Columbia have been pretty impressive in the group games but the knockouts are completely different.

Regarding the other games, I'm expecting the Netherlands to just edge out Mexico, Costa Rica to beat Greece, France to beat Nigeria and Germany to beat Algeria again pretty comfortably. I'm also expecting Argentina to beat Switzerland and Belgium to narrowly beat the US.

I think Columbia/Uruguay, Costa Rica/Greece and Belgium/USA will be close. They may even go to extra time or penalties.

Looking at the actual draw it looks as though we could have a Germany/France quarter final. And the semi finals - Brazil/Germany and Netherlands/Argentina assuming the teams in question win (It was obviously meant to be a Spain/Argentina semi but the Spanish didn't perform). Out of those teams the only one, I'm not convinced with is Argentina. They look very dogy at the back and any decent manager will have Messi man-marked. I'm not convinced with Brazil's defence either but I think playing at home with the crowd will be a massive advantage for them. All their teams en-route to the semi's are also South American so they should know them inside-out.

Good on Germany for going for the win against USA, although as it turns out they both went through anyway.So, with Switzerland duly disposing of Honduras, that's six European teams in the last sixteen, balancing out the two Africans and eight North, Central and South Americans(I can never work out where the borders are for that lot).In theory they could all make the quarters but I doubt Greece or Switzerland will get through.

Okay, so another underperformance from Brazil, needing what was clearly an own goal despite what the FIFA beancounters might say(although David Luiz might have put it in if it had gone to him)and a less-than-convincing penalty shoot-out to get past Chile.Meanwhile, Uruguay, who got carried through the group stage by Suarez after they got overwhelmed by Costa Rica when he wasn't in the team, didn't really stand a chance against Colombia with him back home and so it proved.And on Friday, those two will be facing each other in the first quarter-final.Could be interesting...

Brazil were very lucky to beat Chile in the end. The Chileans were gallant in defeat! I can't see Brazil making it too much further in the tournament if they dish up similar performances like they did against Chile.

Columbia's in superb form and this is without Radamel Falcao in the side. I can only imagine how frightening they'd look if he was playing. Uruguay was always up against it without Suarez in the side but I thought maybe someone like Cavani would produce some magic for them.

So tonight we have the Netherlands and Mexico followed by Costa Rica against Greece.

Jezz you are right, Brazil were very lucky. Colombia were excellent. That was a great goal from James Rodriguez. I can see Colombia beating Brazil on this form. Brazil will be without Luiz Gustavo for the game which is a big blow but the even bigger blow could be that Neymar could also be out the match due to injury.

Which goal was better Rodriguez or Cahill? For me the best goal of the tournament so far has to be James Rodriguez, I would also like to say he has been the player of the tournament so far.

I agree with both of you that Brazil were very lucky to beat Chile. Chile played magnificently. The pundits were concerned because of their high tempo/high pressing game they could tire but that wasn't the case. I do think the guy that hit the crossbar in the last minute should have scored. But I felt really sorry for them after the penalty shootout. They certainly did their nation proud.

I think Hulk had a penalty shout in the first half that was more legit than the one Brazil were awarded in their first game against Croatia. A lot of people have been very critical of Hulk (not as much as Fred) but I think they have been a bit harsh. He is being played out of position and I thought he was Brazil's best player yesterday. I found it odd on the BBC that the pundits were debating how Howard Webb could have see Hulk's handball but he didn't. It was the linesman who flagged. Maybe it was a good thing for Howard Webb that Brazil did win the match as I'm sure the media would have blamed him for not awarding the penalty and disallowing the goal in the second half had Brazil lost.

I was wrong about Brazil beating Chile comfortably and about the Columbia/Uruguay game being close. In the end the Colombians won comfortably and as a team they are a great unit. I never would have thought they would do this well after watching them against England a few weeks ago. James Rodriguez has been a star so far and his volley yesterday was spectacular. The second goal was a great team effort as well. I still think Brazil will beat them though in the next match. Most people are saying the same thing about Brazil - They have been far from convincing and have to play a lot better to win the tournament - but they always seem to do it when it really matters. And I'm sure they'll find a way to beat Columbia.

Peckerman has done really well with this Colombian team. He's a very good manager. The only bad decision I can remember was eight years ago Argentina had a really good team in Germany 2006 and in the Quarter final against Germany they were 1-0 up and in complete control of the game and he took off their best player (Riquelme) and replaced him with a defensive midfielder (Cambiasso). Then when Germany equalised for me, I knew there would only be one winner. I always thought that tournament could have turned out very differently because I think Argentina could have beaten Italy in the semi final.

I thought the Netherlands would beat Mexico but it wouldn't be a walkover.5 minutes from the end it looked like I was going to be wrong, then we got the exciting ending.The penalty was fair, I don't think Robben was looking for it and it was struck excellently, that's the kind no goalkeeper in the world will keep out.

I was expecting Costa Rica to beat Greece so the last minute equaliser was a surprise.Still, Costa Rica won the shoot-out(and they both did better than Brazil and Chile), but I can't see them getting past the Dutch.Still, no-one thought they'd get past the Italians either so maybe they'll surprise us...

I wanted Mexico to win, I really did but I can't have any sympathy for them now that they've lost. They blew it. They were in complete control of the match and after a cracking goal just sat back and let the Dutch back into the game. I just knew Holland would score. They kept winning corner after corner that eventually one of them would lead to a goal. The Mexican keeper pulled of two top class saves but it wasn't too be. Robben dived but it was definately a pen. Can't believe someone with Marquez's experience would make a schoolboy error like that. Robben invited than and Marquez really should have known better given Robben's track record. Marquez is someone who's played in every world cup since 2002 and who was a key player at Barcelona for several years. I'm annoyed that the Dutch went through because I actually want to see the South American sides do well and they will be a major obstacle for Argentina.

Absolutely delighted for Costa Rica. After they were a goal up they should have been awarded a penalty and the referee would have been within his rights to red card the defender. The Costa Rican sending off was fair but the only reason Greece got back into the game was because the Costa Ricans tired towards the end of normal time. Greece showed how bad they were. The Costa Ricans were playing with 10 men for over 60 minutes and the Greeks still couldn't beat them. There was even a 5 on 2 situation from a break in extra time and they couldn't even get a goal from there. Full marks to the Costa Rican keeper and Joe Campbell. Although I believe they deserved to beat the Ivory Coast, I think throughout their time in this world cup Greece have been dull and negative (I accept that is the only way they can play). So I'm glad they're out and we can look forward to a much more entertaining quarter final than we would have had, had Greece been playing. I still don't think Costa Rica have a hope in hell though, although at least they'll give it a go.

We've got Germany and France to look forward to today. I'm expecting both teams to win their respective matches.

Well, I was expecting France and Germany to get through today.France/Nigeria looked like it was going to be another case of extra-time and penalties, then we had another match where there was two goals in the last five minutes and "That's the guy Norwich had on loan last season scoring an own goal, isn't it?Yeah."(At least he didn't do that for us...)So, that's France in the quarters.

There's a certain irony to Germany scoring right at the beginning of extra-time, a bit earlier and we could all have gone to bed at a decent time.And then they got another one right at the end.And then... Well, it was hard not to give an ironic laugh when Algeria promptly scored as well but 2-1, Germany through.

So, last two second round matches tomorrow.I'm expecting Argentina to go through.Belgium/USA will probably be a close one but given that they were three for three in the group stage I suspect Belgium will win it.

Don't understand why Dechamps played Benzima on the left as he's naturally a centre forward. Once he was moved back into the middle and they brought on the substitute, it completely changed the game. Thought the Nigerians did very well. Just didn't have it up front and France were the deserved winners. Although the keeper made some good saves he was ultimately at fault for the first goal, caught in no-mans land.

Really enjoyed the Algeria/Germany game. Thought the Algerians gave 110% but in the end the Germans was just too good for them. I think both games emphasised what happens when you lack star players. Although Nigeria and Algeria created some very good chances neither team had enough quality in the final third. No Neymah, Messi, Muller etc.

Germany were far from convincing last night. Before the game I fancied them to beat Algeria by at least two clear goals, go on to beat France and have a good chance against Brazil in the Semi's. If they play like they did yesterday don't think they will be able to beat Brazil, hell I'm not even sure they can beat France.

Still I'm expecting them to up their game but hopefully it will be a cracking match and I'm looking forward to it.

Argentina should beat Switzerland although this is the world cup so anything can happen. Not sure who will win out of Belgium and the US.

Archived