2014 FIFA World Cup

Guest Slade

So it starts tomorrow. Will anybody else be watching? I think Brazil will win it but Argentina have a good chance (Plus I've got £120 riding on them in a sweepstake at work). I think Germany will do well too but whether they can beat Brazil I don't know. Don't think Spain can do it this time.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm sure I'll watch some of it although I'm currently looking at the fact England are playing in the middle of the night when I have to be up early for work and yelping in fear.No idea who'll win it, although I do wonder if Uruguay might surprise people and do better than expected.Shame it's them and Italy in England's group...

Thought that was a nervous start by Brazil but if I was Croatia I would feel extremely hard done by with a couple of decisions in that game. The penalty was an absolute joke. And I'm almost certain that if it had been the other way round the referee wouldn't have given it. I didn't think Olic fouled the Brazilian keeper and the goalie was in no-mans land. Croatia's keeper let them down a couple of times in that game. He should have saved the penalty and he also should have been able to stop Oscar's shot from outside the box. I've heard people say that one of Brazil's strengths this time round is their defence but I didn't see that last night. For me Brazil far from convincing but I'm expecting them to improve and if not win it certainly get to the final.

I agree Slade that Pletikosa should have saved all 3 of Brazil's goal. I think Brazil will go far in the World Cup but if I had to choose a team right now then it would be Argentina. Olic's goal should've stood but we all know home team advantage works. The home team needs to go far to have a successful world cup. It would be catastrophe if Brazil were knocked out early with all the protest going on. I thought the first half was really good but the second half was really scrappy. I'm looking forward to the Netherlands v Spain, the last year's final later on today but also how Chile play, they only know one way and that is to attack there games should be entertaining to watch.

So the dodgy officiating continues continues. Mexico had two perfectly good goals disallowed against Cameroon. In the end I was glad justice was served.

I had doubts about Spain when I saw them in the confederations cup last year. They were lucky to get past the Italian's and were completely outplayed by Brazil. Yesterday they were completely blown away by the Dutch. I thought Robben and Van Persie were outstanding. However there are big question marks on the two centre backs - Ramos and Pique. For so long they have been the strength of the Spanish central defence which has helped them win three majors in a row but they were all over the place. Seemed liked the couldn't handle the long balls or Robben's pace. Before the match started I thought a 1-1 draw or 1-0 Spain but never imagined it would have been 5-1 to Holland. The more worrying thing for Spain now is that if they don't win the group then it's very likely the could face Brazil in the second round. But first they have to try and qualify for the knockout stages which at the moment is by no means a certainty.

Chile were very good going forward but looked very suspect at the back. Although they ended up comfortable winners against the Aussies, I think against a better side they are going to have real problems. So I think Spain will have a chance against them.

Slade I think the score line did flatter Netherlands a little. As for Spain I'm still wondering how Torres gets into the Spanish team, he clearly isn't good enough. I agree that Chile are vulnerable at the back and that is why Gary Medel plays centre back for them whereas for Cardiff he plays in Midfield.

I see the excuses have come in early for England, if they lose I can see them complaing about the pitch. It will be interesting to see how both teams approach the game tonight.

Been some shocks so far, Brazil taking their time against Croatia, winners of the last World Cup and last two European Championships Spain being well and truly hammered by the Netherlands and now my hot tip about Uruguay has gone up in smoke:I turned it off when they were 1-0 up, then checked the score and went "What?! 3-1?!"

And oh yeah, England played.I was optimistic when they seemed to start well (I was convinced Sterling had scored when he hit the side-netting) and then when they equalised straightaway but not to be.The substitutions didn't help, they didn't look anywhere near as likely to score without Sturridge and Welbeck, although Sturridge was hobbling so I guess the change wasn't entirely tactical.

I was very surprised Costa Rica beat Uruguay 3-1.

I was actually more impressed with England than I had been in years. If they're going to lose, I would rather they lost having a go than sitting back and trying to defend which is what they normally would have done. The team is young so I was pleased that Hodgson was prepared to try other players.

TBH apart from Pirlo, De Rossi, Balotelli and Chiellini, I'd never heard of the rest of the Italians playing.

I really wasn't sure what to make of Rooney. It was a brilliant cross he delivered to make the equalizer but he should have scored in the second half when he had a clear shot on goal. Also when one of the England players (can't remember who) was going past the Italian players it looked like Rooney took the ball off him and shot it with his weak foot. I don't think it helps he's being played out of position.

Defensively England were not good. I knew the first goal was coming. The England players were failing to close down the Italians from set pieces. The second goal, again Balotelli managed to get the other side of the defender and out-jump him for the header.

Although the scoreline seemed close, in reality I thought the Italian's were comfortable winners and England were lucky not to lose 3-1 as the Italian's hit the post just before halftime and Pirlo's free kick smashed against the bar. Pirlo was top-class last night.

With the earlier group result England's game against Uruguay next week is effectively a knockout match because the losers will be going home. Hopefully this means it will be another good game of football as both teams have to go for it. I'm also hoping that Suarez will be playing.

I'm expecting the Italian's to top the group but who goes through with them is now anyone's guess.

The defending in this world cup has been poor, ironically though that has led to some very entertaining games without a single scoreless draw so far. Long may this continue...

I will say this now I probably don't know what I'm talking about here, but England looked quite promising in the first half getting that goal moments after Italy scored theirs Second half England seemed to be all over the place I thought. It is quite annoying though that when ever a player trips over, they have a badly acted roll about on the pitch before they get back up Its like your wasting time here use it to score. :lol:

Archived