Broken Hearts and Last Goodbyes (by Jen) - comments

Inactive User

BRILLIANT !!!! This whole fic was brilliant !!!!!!

LOOOOOOVE that, especially ......

“Brax is family, but it’s more than that. I’ve seen him go through this before. He doesn’t ... He doesn’t know how to deal with it. In the end, I knew you’d be okay. You wanted me, but you didn’t need me, not like him.”

“What happened?” Ruby whispers.

Casey breathes slowly, Ruby can see his chest rising and falling out of the corner of her eye. “Brax was ... he was a mess. Like, totally falling apart. I would hear him pacing around the house at all hours, found him passed out on the beach more times than I can ever remember him doing before. It was like he was just looking for a way to wipe himself out.”

Ruby remembers wide hands and chapped lips and a dimly lit bathroom, and feels the shiver run up her spine. She understands wanting to do that, to just try anything to get rid of the image that’s burned in the back of your mind.

reaching inside one of the untaped packages and pulling out a long, silver dress, all sequins and sparkles and Ruby remembers Charlie wearing it at her birthday only months ago. Ruby holds the fabric close, doesn’t care that the sequins are scratchy on her nose and inhales. It smells like citrus, fruit and faintly woody, but something undeniably Charlie.

“So, what?” she asks, the smallest of smiles creeping on to her lips. “Do I want this plain silver ring that has no sentimental attachment to me whatsoever?”

“Are you going to make me say it?” Casey asks, slightly exasperated.

“Yes,” Ruby says smugly. “Yes, I am.”

Casey sighs, joins Ruby on his knees.

“Shouldn’t you be on one knee?” Ruby asks.

“Do you want your proper proposal or not?” Casey challenges and Ruby closes her mouth, watches as Casey appears to collect himself. He takes the ring from between Ruby’s fingers and holds it out towards her.

“Ruby,” Casey begins, “I didn’t know how to do this. Not after everything, but they say you can’t choose your family, but you can, Ruby, because I choose you. Over everyone else, I choose you, and I promise to be here for you since Charlie can’t. That is, if you’ll have me.”

After Charlie, Ruby wouldn’t have dared imagine a future without her. She didn’t know how to. Now, as Casey slips the ring over her finger she allows herself that luxury. She sees Casey’s face bathed in sunlight as she rolls over first thing in the morning, the feeling of his warm breath on her neck as they hold each other close and a thousand other small, inconsequential moments that mean so much. They are the sort of things that make a fulfilled life, and Casey is promising to be there for all of them and that’s all that Ruby has ever wanted.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• QUIET ACHIEVER changed the title to Broken Hearts and Last Goodbyes (by Jen) - comments