Natalie Davison - Catherine Mack

Character review for 2012

How has Natalie developed as a character since Episode 5518 until the season finale?

What did you see are the strengths of Natalie this year?

What did you see are the weaknesses of Natalie this year?

What has been your favourite storyline/s involving Natalie this year?

What has been your least favourite storyline/s involving Natalie this year?

What would you like to see happen with Natalie in 2013 storyline wise? Please feel free to speculate, as it is most welcome but please remember that spoilers need to have spoiler tags placed around them.

Edited by QUIET ACHIEVER

At first I found Natalie very unorganized. She seemed messy in her first episode, I did not like that. But I quickly warmed up to her. She genuinely wants to help other people, selfless, that is so good to see. I like what she did for Sasha, Jett, Casey... I expected her to get together with Brax, but I am happy with the way it happened. As Steve Peacocke once said in an interview, the Natalie/Brax relationship has been a slow burner. It was not Brax's being on the rebound, Brax started to like her for who she really was. And somewhere along the line she got interested in him as well. I would like to know more about her past, about what happened to her mother. Maybe one day her father can show up, so she has some family in the Bay. She has been really supportive of everyone and maybe next year she will get her own storyline.

I hope they handle the storyline of her ex, Zac, coming well. The focus should be on what it means for her, but I am guessing the focus will also be on Brax being jealous. I don't mind that, I only hope they focus on Natalie's emotions as well.

On a lighter note, I love the way Natalie is dressed. She is so feminine. The clothes, jewelry, hair updo's... make her look stunning every scene. :)

Natalie is my favorite Home and Away female character. I like how she is so strong and determined to help people. I like the side she brings out in Brax. She truly wanted to help his family. I didn't like when she broke up with Brax after the Outback adventure. I really look forward to seeing more of her in 2013.

How has Natalie developed as a character since Episode 5518 until the season finale?

She's developed very nicely. She's become a great character of the show and she's fitted into Summer Bay very nicely. I think her potential relationship with Brax works well.

What did you see are the strengths of Natalie this year?

Like Tamara, she has plenty of independence and she's able to stand up for herself. I liked the fact that she was realistic on where her relationship was with Brax and she doesn't tolerate the baggage that comes with him, unlike Charlie.

What did you see are the weaknesses of Natalie this year?

At times, I felt she became too interfering in the Braxton's business, in particularly when she was involved with the whole Danny Braxton storyline.

What has been your favourite storyline/s involving Natalie this year?

Her relationship with Brax.

What has been your least favourite storyline/s involving Natalie this year?

Her counselling with Casey.

What would you like to see happen with Natalie in 2013 storyline wise? Please feel free to speculate, as it is most welcome but please remember that spoilers need to have spoiler tags placed around them.

I'd like to see her family history elaborated on. Apparently her mother disappeared when she was a child. It would be nice if the writers explored this storyline involving her mother next year and I want to see her and Brax together next year.

• 3 weeks later...

I actually liked Natalie when she first came in, she seemed laidback but good at her job and knew the right way to get students to open up.But I went off her rapidly once she basically turned into a Braxton stooge.In fact, over the past few weeks, I've come to the conclusion that, with the possible exception of Liam, she's the most pointless character on the show.I'm reminded a bit of when Angelo got turned from a six month guest character into a regular and there wasn't really anything to him except his job and his relationship.Natalie seems to have been actually designed like that, not having any real character or function beyond "she's a school counsellor who fancies Brax".Okay, there's a backstory about her mother abandoning her which might get built on at some point but at the moment it's merely serving to make her seem like the counsellor who's more messed up than her patients.

The thing is she's not actually good at either of those things.As a counsellor, she seems to give advice based on a personal agenda rather than remaining objective.She wants Gina to find Jett's father because she misses her own mother.She stops Sasha being friends with Casey because she's cut ties with Brax.She starts off okay with Casey, telling him to make up his own mind about Danny rather than just believing what Brax tells him, then does a complete 180 and decides that whenever Casey has a problem she'll just tell Brax and let him sort it.Sometimes you really have to doubt her sanity, going around insisting Tamara isn't real seemingly without giving any thought at all as to how Casey is supposed to have escaped without help.

As for her relationship with Brax, well, they've been apart for a week or two prior to the UK break and that's just demonstrated to me that it's not really needed, Brax isn't really any different without her than he is with her and has his brothers to bring out his softer side, there's no need for a shallow love interest to do the same thing.And without Brax in her life, the reasons to put Natalie in episodes are becoming increasingly contrived, with her randomly offering advice/lectures to people who don't need it and acting like she's best friends with people she's barely spoken to.I really think the character could be dropped without making any difference to anyone.

• 6 months later...