Fri 16th March - Ratings battle

Guest 630si

Ok so tonight, on channel 5 we had a double helping of home and away to catch up on yesterday because of the football. My query is, how strong of a player is Home and away in the ratings these days? the other week when this happened, and we had an extra showing at 6.30 home and away rated higher than Hollyoaks which airs at 6.30 everyday, in the overnight figures.

I personally have jumped ship to 5* and watch the first look eps instead these days, but do you think home and away can do it again tonight, or was the ratings win against hollyoaks a one off thing?

I think it usually gets between 500-700k? I'm not entirely sure though. I know for a fact when Home and Away first moved to C5 in 2001, the ratings were in the millions. I don't know why it has lost so many viewers in the UK as it is so much better than the tedious show that is Neighbours <_<

I think it usually gets between 500-700k? I'm not entirely sure though. I know for a fact when Home and Away first moved to C5 in 2001, the ratings were in the millions. I don't know why it has lost so many viewers in the UK as it is so much better than the tedious show that is Neighbours <_<

Probably because it's storylines are less character-driven than Neighbours and have been for years.

Something needs to be done about both shows though as they're not performing that well.

Remember that the 6pm showing is now the 3rd opportunity to see the episode whereas it used to be the first. Also 11 years ago, I think the majority of us only had 5 channels. The majority I imagine at least have some form of digital TV now and Freeview, that's what at least 40 more channels. Admittedly some are complete crap, but I know I rarely watch Five these days, my favourite channel probably being E4 when it's not showing Supernanny and that fashion prat.

Ratings For The Week (versus competitors)

Monday 12th

H&A

First Look- 532k (2.6%)

18:00- 824k (4.4%)

Neighbours

13:45- 753k (10.6%)

17:30- 912k (5.7%)

Hollyoaks

18:30- 1.04 million (5.2%)

First Look- 559k (2.6%)

Tuesday 13th

H&A

First Look- 471k (2.4%)

18:00- 802k (4.4%)

Neighbours

13:45- 691k (9.2%)

17:30- 1 million (6.2%)

Hollyoaks

18:30- 1.13 million (5.7%)

First look- 571k (2.7%)

Wednesday 14th

H&A

First Look- 489k (2.6%)

18:00- 704k (4.1%)

Neighbours

13:45- 763k (10.6%)

17:30- 1.03 million (6.9%)

Hollyoaks

18:30- 1.08 million (5.7%)

First Look- 583k (2.9%)

Thursday 15th

H&A

First Look- 391k (1.9%)

18:00- n/a

Neighbours

13:45- 694k (10%)

17:30- n/a

Hollyoaks

18:30- 948k (4.7%)

First Look- 632k (2.9%)

Friday 16th

H&A

First Look- 160k (0.8%)

18:00- 782k (4.4%)

18:30- 633k (3.3%)

Neighbours

17:00- 617k (4.5%)

17:30- 944k (5.9%)

Hollyoaks

18:30- 775k (4.1%)

First Look- 487k (2.4%)

Thus, when it clashed with Hollyoaks it lost out. H&A with 633k, and Hollyoaks with 775k. Of course I think audience share is the most important really, which is why I have put it in brackets next to the ratings. On the whole Neighbours certainly seem to be doing best out of the 3 in terms of audience share, although it suffered a bit with the double bill on Friday. H&A is the only one out of the 3 shows which hasn't broken the million mark for a singular showing. Infact, if you look at the ratings for the 17:30 showing of Neighbours and the 18:00 showing of H&A quite a few viewers are turning over to another channel after Neighbours finishes. <_<

Thanks for those.

Yes i have noticed a few are turning off after neighbours.

And to comment on an earlier comment, the thing with home and away is, as of lunchtime, somewhere, on a channel somewhere, you're never too far away from a showing.

Channel 5 at lunchtime

then plus one

then 5* at 3ish (i think)

then plus one

then channel 5 at 6

then plus one

then 5*at 6.30

then plus one

The 5* first look performs exceptionally well often around 500k, a rating most digital channels would beg borrow and steal for,. Back in 2001 when the show moved over, there was no first look, just a lunchtime repeat the NEXT day. So the 6pm showing was the first chance to see it. Hence the viewership was more concentrated. Now we have all spread out over so many showings, throw in the demand 5 viewers and there we have it.... todays figures.

Last time there was a match on c5, and h&a double on friday, in the overnight figures home and away rated higher than hollyoaks, so i guess when theres only a couple of thousand viewers in it, its anyones game!

the real test will be tonights showing when i guess those who didnt see the first look on firday may possibly tune into c5 today to catch up. we shall see...

• 3 months later...

Now, you see - I'm not too convinced whether going back to the old ITV system was the right thing do to, in having the episodes première at lunchtime rather than in the evening, simply because the 6pm showing is always going to be the best-rating. Until 2006, 6pm was your first chance to see an episode, but nowadays it's at least the third - the fifth on certain platforms!

I know they kind of had to do it to accommodate Neighbours, where Channel 5 tried to minimise the disruption caused by the changeover and thus kept the lunchtime première (meaning, really, Home & Away had to follow suit) but they'd get a much bigger share of the 5:30-6:30 audience by having evening premières on both shows.

The other issue, which I've always said is a problem, is that it's up against The Simpsons at 6pm. Really, Neighbours needs to drop back to 5pm with Home & Away at 5:30pm, or Home & Away at 5pm with Neighbours at 5:30pm.

What I find odd is that even now they're both on the same channel, Neighbours is still out-performing Home & Away by a considerable margin. Nearly 200k people are switching off at 6pm.

Like you say though, First Look does perform very well considering it's up against Hollyoaks.

• 2 weeks later...

On the one hand I think it's good that Home & Away is on TV a lot in the UK but I also think it diminishes its impact a little bit. Numerous showings plus first look episodes on 5* can make it a bit hard to keep up with for a casual viewer. Also in the UK we view Australian shows as trashy teatime soaps but in Australia they're more like primetime dramas. I think Home & Away would probably fare better in a later slot like 7.30pm.

I solely watch it online anyway as I'm still at work when it's on Channel 5 and each episode on YouTube has about 3,000 viewers on catch up which doesn't seem like many at all.

Archived