Sweet Misery

Guest Chax47

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey...

No, your eyes do not deceive you...this is an actual update! :blink: Shocking I know!

I am so, so, so...and I repeat, so, sorry for the long wait for this chapter. I feel like it's not quite my best, but I guess we'll see....

Thanks again for your kind reviews, and for your patience! :wink:

Enjoy...

Chapter 15

It may have been the greatest nights sleep of her life. Images of beaches, candles and a certain Braxton had invaded her dreams, resulting in her waking up with the hugest smile on her face. Realising that it wasn't just a dream, that she had actually been on an official date with the man from her dreams, Charlie found it difficult to rid the smile from her face. Not that she minded. If she had her way, every morning would be started with this euphoric feeling. Bouncing out her bedroom, smile still intact, she headed towards the kitchen.

Ruby stood hunched over the breakfast bar, her back to Charlie. Silently creeping in, Charlie wrapped her arms around her daughter's waist, causing the brunette to jump.

"Good morning my favourite daughter." Charlie beamed at her as she pulled her backwards into a hug.

"You scared me." Ruby glared at her, causing Charlie to laugh lightly. "And for the record...I'm your only daughter."

"Doesn't mean you're not my favourite." Charlie retaliated with a shrug, her smile never waivering.

It was then that the object on the breakfast table caught her attention. Releasing Ruby from her grip, she edged nearer to get a better look.

"Ruby, these are beautiful." Her hand moved gently over them, the silky sensation caressing her fingertips. Leaning her face in slightly, she inhaled the crisp fragance. "And they look expensive. Casey's definitely going to be in your good books today."

"They're not for me." Ruby laughed as she moved away from her mother, returning to her cup of coffee which was cooling on the side.

"They're for me?" She whispered, her heart beginning to pound in her chest. She thought that last night was as perfect as it got, but clearly that was just the tip of the iceburg when it came to Daryl Braxton. The man never failed to amaze her.

"Yeah, someone delivered them for you this morning. There's a card." Ruby offered, watching as Charlie gazed happily at the flowers.

She didn't have to read it to know who they were from, but regardless Charlie reached across and pulled the small white envelope from in between the dozen roses.

Charlie,

Last night was amazing.

I'm thinking of you.

Brax x

She read the four lines multiple times as she chewed at her bottom lip. The urge to start screaming like a loved up teenager and running around the room was hard to resist, but somehow she managed to contain her glee. Running her fingers over the handwritten words, she smiled as she placed the note back in the envelope and into her back pocket.

Ruby poured her a cup of coffee. "So, I take it the date went as planned?"

Accepting the drink, Charlie took a sip as she nodded. "It went better than planned. Fantastic, even." She fell silent for a moment as her mind whirled with the events of the past twenty four hours. She was being romanced by Brax, an experience which she was sure she didn't want to end. "Have you got much planned for today?" She eventually broke her own silence.

Ruby walked around to the fridge, leaning against the open door as she studied it's contents. She groaned to herself as she closed it and focused her attention back on Charlie.

"Nothing much. I was going to just hang out here for a little while. Maybe go and see Casey later on."

"Well how about we go and do a bit of shopping? My treat?" She offered, laughing lightly as Ruby's face lit up. She knew that the combination of her great mood, Ruby and a bunch of clothes shops would probably be bad for her bank balance, but at this moment in time, she really didn't care.

"Oh..ok! Let me go and get changed." Ruby beamed as she walked quickly towards the kitchen door. "Remind me to send you on dates more often." She joked, pausing in the doorway. Charlie glared at her and she quickly retreated out of sight.

----

Four hours later, and many Australian Dollars lighter than Charlie had originally planned, they walked into the Diner, their hands filled with bags of many colours and sizes. Dumping their goods on the floor beside an empty table, Ruby flopped down onto the chair, closely followed by Charlie. They were beat.

"Remind me, never to take you shopping again." Charlie sighed, resting her head in her hands as she tried her best to stiffle a yawn.

Ruby shrugged innocently. "It wasn't my fault that there were so many shops. It would have been rude for us not to go in..." She smiled sweetly at her mother but Charlie just rolled her eyes. "Besides, don't think I didn't notice what you bought..." Her smile was quickly replaced with a smirk, much to Charlie's dismay.

"What?" She frowned along with her response.

"The black, lacy underwear. No three guesses who they are for..." She teased. Charlie's mouth fell as her cheeks darkened. She reached across to playfully punch Ruby, but Ruby managed to quickly move out of her attack.

"I needed new underwear. I bought them for myself." She avoided Ruby's gaze, choosing instead to gaze around the Diner. She wished that her cheeks would stop burning, although the feeling of Ruby's intense stare was doing nothing to help the situation.

"Uh-huh. $55 for your own viewing pleasure?" The reply was dripping with sarcasm and disbelief.

Opting to ignore her daughter's comments, Charlie stood up from the table. "Just the usual?"

Keeping her eyebrow raised, Ruby smiled up at her. "Sure."

Returning a couple of minutes later with their drinks, Charlie took a seat opposite her. "Are you going to behave now?"

Ruby blew into her drink, fluttering her eyes at Charlie. "Always." Charlie scoffed at the answer but choose not to comment any further.

Thirty minutes later, their cups were empty and they decided to call it a day. After gathering up their collection of bags, they headed towards the door and froze. Charlie felt the same goofyness which she felt that morning as his smile washed over her.

"Charlie, hey!" He too was paused in the doorway, his eyes firmly glued on her.

"Hi." She returned his smile, the pounding of her heart resonating in her head.

Ruby watched the exchange or lack there of between the two and tried her best to stiffle her laughter. After a couple of moments, Brax realised that Charlie wasn't alone and turned to smile at her daughter.

"Hi Ruby. How are you?" He risked another glance at Charlie as he waited for her response.

"I'm ok thanks, Brax. I'm gonna head back home, I'll take these." She reached over and took the shopping out of Charlie's hands. "I'll meet you back home." She smirked at Charlie before moving past them but paused a second later. "Hey Brax?" She waited until she had his attention before continuing. "What are you thoughts on the colour black?" She asked, her face straight.

Charlie's eyes grew wide as she felt the colour disappear quickly from her face. Brax observed her curiously, glancing briefly at Charlie who was busy glaring at the younger Buckton.

"Uhm..."

"Ruby, I'm actually going to kill you. You're so grounded." Charlie threatened, taking a step towards her daughter.

"Yeah...I'll just see you at home." Ruby muttered, turning on her heels and dashing out of the Diner and as far away from her mother as she could get.

"Do I want to know what that was all about?" Brax asked, laughing lightly as he ordered two coffees.

"No. It was just Ruby realising that she doesn't actually value her freedom. Or her life for that matter." Charlie joked, making a mental note that she would get her own back. Somehow, someway.

After paying for the drinks, Brax handed her a cup as they headed outside. They walked in silence for a few minutes, both waiting for the other to speak first. Eventually Charlie took the first step.

"Thank you for the roses. They were beautiful. I'm gaining quite the rose collection..." She trailed off, her voice light, with a slight flirty undertone. Her mind drifted back to the 24 roses which she now had to remind her of the man standing in front of her. That, and the perfect note which had accompanied them.

Their walk came to a stop at the fence to the top of the beach. Charlie leant against the wooden barrier, with Brax standing a couple of feet in front of her.

"I'm glad you liked them. Although it looks like I'll have to change my gift choices in future..." He took a tentative step towards her. "I meant what the card said..." His eyes held hers, which were now sparkling as they studied his face. The ghost of a smile played on his lips as he took another small step towards her, effectively closing the space between them.

"Yeah. I had a great time." She returned his smile, her lips briefly darting from his eyes down to her lips. Unsubconsciously, she ran her tongue across her bottom lip as he moved that little bit closer to her. He was now only inches away from her. Reaching across, her free hand grabbed a fistfull of his black shirt as she pulled his into her. "A really great time." She whispered against his lips, before claiming them with her own.

The ocean roared behind them, the sound taking Charlie back to the previous evening. Although they had kissed before, on more than a couple of occassions, today felt different. Even though they were still exploring each other, there was a small sense of familiarity. They were slowly getting used to one another; the feeling of his lips on hers, the taste of her in his mouth, the small moan which escaped her lips as he deepened the kiss.

Reluctantly, the kiss came to an end, both of them slightly breathless. "I don't think I could ever get enough of kissing you." Brax admitted, immediately feeling embarrassed at his admission but the smile on her face eased his doubts.

"I can live with that..." She replied, a small wink leaving her right eye. She placed a chaste kiss on his lips, her hand resting lightly on her chest. Her fingers moved gently over his shirt, picking idly at the fabric. "So, I'm not too sure if it's a little too soon to be thinking about a second date..." She questioned, her eyes slowly raising to meet his once again.

"Definitely not too soon. I have to work for a couple of hours...but I'm free tonight?" He offered and she smiled.

"Ok. I'll see what I can arrange. I'll walk you to work..." She gave him a kiss on the cheek as she pushed herself up off the fence, smiling as his arm immediately wrapped her shoulders. He kissed the top of her head as he pulled her further into his side. Her arm wound him, resting on his lower back.

They had taken a couple of steps before a voice stopped them in their tracks.

"Well, you two sure as hell wasted no time." Hateful. Sarcastic. Spiteful. He was back.

--

I'm scared to ask...but thoughts?!? :o:huh:

Archived