Swearing on Home and Away

Guest ilovehomeandaway25

I find offensive language quite interesting in terms of why we, as society, get so wound up over words that mean absolutely nothing to humans living in a different country who speak the same language.

What do you mean different country?

Sorry, I should have been more specific. I just mean generally - how a word said over here could be seen as offensive by someone in the UK (like Galah) but here it isn't in the slightest. Or how someone in the UK might call someone a swine, which I was brought up to believe as being offensive.

I find it quite fascinating when 1 word has different meanings depending on the country.

Thong is another word that means two completely different clothing items in Australia and the UK. So it is hilarious anytime thongs are mentioned on an Aussie show. And don't get me started on the US and their word for arse :lol:.

Oh and a huge thank you to whoever (I think it was you alexx) mentioned Heartbreak High Season 1 was on DVD. Another boxset to add to my to buy list :wink: .

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I find it quite fascinating when 1 word has different meanings depending on the country.

Thong is another word that means two completely different clothing items in Australia and the UK. So it is hilarious anytime thongs are mentioned on an Aussie show. And don't get me started on the US and their word for arse :lol:.

Their word for cheering/supporting someone also takes on a whole new meaning here and get a laugh every time I hear in an American show/movie, 'we're rooting for you'. :P

With some words, I think it depends on context and how the person is using it on whether someone takes it as offensive/racist and for others, it's offensive/racist however you say it.

Julia Gillard refers to herself as Australia's number one ranger, yet some red heads don't like it, same with wog. I remember an interview with Nick Gianopolous (Wog Boys 2 I think), he said unless you've been called a wog yourself, don't call someone else one.

Archived