Swearing on Home and Away

Guest ilovehomeandaway25

Perhaps it's different countries, different generations, etc, but personally I've been led to believe 'frigging' is quite a strong swear word. Words like 'fricking' are used nowadays a mild alternative to the obvious 'f' word, but 'frigging' is actually a slang word for a specific sexual act, at least in the UK, and you wouldn't use it in polite company. I'm not offended by it personally, but I'm still surprised it's been used in a G-rated, pre-watershed programme, and even moreso that scissor-happy ITV didn't cut it, as they even used to cut out the word 'bitch'.

There are plenty of words which, while not technically 'swearing', you wouldn't use in certain situations or certain company (w**ker, tosser, etc) - to me 'frigging' is at least as inappropriate as these words, if not moreso.

Of course, there are words that are totally unacceptable in the UK which are less offensive in Oz. The word 'w*g', for example (I've wrote it without the 'o' to avoid causing any offence here). In the UK it's a very racist word, referring to negro people, whereas in Oz it's used to refer to Europeans such as Greeks. Although not a polite word, it doesn't have the same racist connotations in Australia as it does in the UK. I've recently been watching episodes of The Sullivans and this word is used often, as are words like 'Iti' and 'Jap'. These are repeats from the last decade or so, and I'm glad they weren't censored by the PC brigade, however I'm not so sure they wouldn't be cut to pieces if repeated in the UK.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it's possibly an example of the way words and their meanings and context change.After doing some digging I found an interesting mini-essay on the history of frigging here, which those who aren't easy offended may check out.I've checked my English dictionaries, which include a lot stronger language, and neither of them even include it, so I suspect it's completely fallen out of use in the UK and is a fairly mild expletive in Australia.I've never known anyone in the UK find it offensive, except when they've misheard it.As an aside, it's interesting that, if you check the history, "strewth" is actually a blasphemous term but I doubt many people know that.

Regarding racism, I suspect the W word is just as racist in Australia, as are the other terms, and their use in old shows is more a sign of what was once considered...not acceptable but something you could use if it was in character, in much the same way that if you watch British shows in particular from the '70s and '80s everyone smokes.I remember Home and Away having characters use "abbo", a racist term towards Aborigines, in the '90s, which was presented as racist and unacceptable but they could still use it to make a point.British shows of the time would have unsympathetic characters use relatively mild racist terms as well(even on children's television!)which seems to have faded over the decades.

I'm pretty sure someone threw a brick or stone through Nico's gran's house in 1988 and shouted w*g! I was really shocked to hear it used although I realised that it was probably a lot more freely used back in the day if it was in character. There are certain things that I've watched from the early years that I don't think would get through the censors now.

As you say, what is considered acceptable and unacceptable has changed over time. I know that when I was at school (around the time the early H&A episodes were originally shown), if I'd said 'frig' in front of a teacher I would have been punished. I once said it in front of my parents, not knowing anything about its sexual meaning, and I was told off in no uncertain terms. From my personal experience, its usage isn't dying out in the UK, certainly not amongst people my age (late 30s and 40s), but we woudn't say it in polite company. 'Fricking', virtually unheard of 10-15 years ago, isn't used often at all, certainly not by my generation (God, I sound old!). We'd either swear, using the common f-word, or use a mild alternative like 'bloody' when swearing wasn't appropriate.

I'm glad a programme like The Sullivans, made in the 70s and set in the 40s, was sensible enough to use the 'racist' words in context, to give authenticity. They weren't particularly racist expressions back in the 40s, just everyday words. Whilst I would never condone mindless racism, I do sometimes think that modern-day 'political correctness' can be taken a degree too far, and more emphasis should be given to the way in which a word is meant, rather than the mere fact it has been used. Think of any slang expression - a 'Paddy' for an Irish person, a 'Jock' for a Scotsman - these aren't generally considered racist or insulting, but if the context was 'You're just a thick useless Paddy', or a 'tight-fisted Jock' the connotations are obvious. Although this is probably a debate/discussion for another place!

I'm glad a programme like The Sullivans, made in the 70s and set in the 40s, was sensible enough to use the 'racist' words in context, to give authenticity. They weren't particularly racist expressions back in the 40s, just everyday words. Whilst I would never condone mindless racism, I do sometimes think that modern-day 'political correctness' can be taken a degree too far, and more emphasis should be given to the way in which a word is meant, rather than the mere fact it has been used. Think of any slang expression - a 'Paddy' for an Irish person, a 'Jock' for a Scotsman - these aren't generally considered racist or insulting, but if the context was 'You're just a thick useless Paddy', or a 'tight-fisted Jock' the connotations are obvious. Although this is probably a debate/discussion for another place!

I totally agree with this. I was told off for using the term 'half c*st' to desribe someone of mixed racial background. I never knew that it was a racial term dating back to slavery otherwise I would never have used the word. I simply was describing the person. But there you are, people love to jump on the racist bandwagon.

After buying Heartbreak High on DVD I've been re-enlightened about the sort of language they use - the DVD is actually rated M, its the 1994 Season One - but it was a show aimed at a youthful demographic back in the 90's, prominently ranging from ages 14-45. But so far the teenage characters and a couple of the teachers have used the works, 'sl*t', 'b*itch', 'black w*g', 't*sser', 'd*ck brain', 'd*ck head' and 'w*nker'! As far as I can remember Heartbreak High was a PG rated show back then, but its interesting that now it is rated M. This was always a more gritty drama, but despite the language (which is in character for those saying it) the show has a high moral tone and is quite 'feel good' most of the time.

I find offensive language quite interesting in terms of why we, as society, get so wound up over words that mean absolutely nothing to humans living in a different country who speak the same language.

I totally agree with this. I was told off for using the term 'half c*st' to desribe someone of mixed racial background. I never knew that it was a racial term dating back to slavery otherwise I would never have used the word. I simply was describing the person. But there you are, people love to jump on the racist bandwagon.

Yes, and just as a footnote, I have a friend who is mixed-race (mother is English, father is from Ghana) and I asked her if she found the expression 'half-c*st' offensive. She practically snorted, and said of course not, she had far better things to worry about! Although, in contrast, another mixed-race friend found the phrase highly offensive.

I find offensive language quite interesting in terms of why we, as society, get so wound up over words that mean absolutely nothing to humans living in a different country who speak the same language.

What do you mean different country?

Sorry, I should have been more specific. I just mean generally - how a word said over here could be seen as offensive by someone in the UK (like Galah) but here it isn't in the slightest. Or how someone in the UK might call someone a swine, which I was brought up to believe as being offensive.

Archived