As Long As I Have You

Guest callyha

Oh thank you for the update(s). :wub:

Carla is bad news, they will be stuck with her forever. I am hoping for some magical twist that will make Brax the father, I can dream right? :lol:

They would have been such a happy little family if not for Carla, I wonder how this will play out. Wonder what that talk between Brax and John about the club was for.

Thank you for updating and I hope you can fill in another one soon, but until then, I will be patient.

Great story!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you so much guys for the comments! I love how all of you are wanting miracles and hoping the baby is Brax's. I hope the baby is Brax's too...I haven't decided yet! Anyway, I hope you like this chapter; its a 'filler' chapter as I'm hoping that chapter 56 will be set further ahead. Again, thank you for the comments! :D

Chapter 54

Charlie stood and stared at Carla as she moved closer to where Charlie was stood. Her heart began to beat harder and harder with each step that Carla took forward. Why is she back now? Charlie found herself thinking as she took a step backwards. Carla looked into Charlie's eyes intently, before she shifted her glance to Charlie's stomach. Charlie immediately placed her arms across her stomach, protecting her unborn baby from Carla instinctively

"Charlie" Carla sighed as she saw this defense "why must you try and fight me?" Carla asked "I will be here to help you through the rest of your pregnancy; the antenatal classes, doctors appointments -everything. I would also be like to be present when you are in labour-"

"No" Charlie said, breaking her silence "what part of 'I don't want you in mine or the baby's life' don't you understand? Carla, you never once came to visit Angelo and me. It was always Angelo you had to see; never me, and now all of a sudden; you think I'm going to let you into my life?"

"Well, its not your life I'm wanting in on" Carla replied

"My baby is apart of my life" Charlie retorted, having to support herself against the wall as she felt herself sway with dizziness "Brax" she tried to shout, but it came out as a loud whisper

"Charlie! I will not stand by and let you take this baby away from me" Carla raised her voice, oblivious to Charlie's need for help "as soon as the baby is born, I'm fighting for the right to see him -or her" Carla walked toward the door "that's a promise" Carla added before she walked out of the door, slamming it shut to make her mood known.

"Charlie?" Brax called as he ran down the stairs, nearly going over on his ankle as he reached the last step "Charlie?" Brax rushed over to the corner of the room where he found Charlie, curled up and leaning against the wall. Tears streamed down her face and her whole body trembled with fear "what is it?" Brax asked as he wrapped his arms around Charlie and moved closer to her, engulfing her

"C-c-carla" Charlie stammered "she, she knows I'm pregnant. She thinks its Angelo's. she says she wants rights to see the baby" Charlie held tightly onto Brax "Don't let her take our baby Brax, please" she pleaded

"I won't let anything happen to our baby" Brax replied "I promise" he whispered in her ear before placing a kiss on her cheek.

~*~

Bianca walked into her room and found Liam sat, with headphones on listening to some music on the laptop. His hands were going; mimicking a guitar, something Bianca couldn't just watch without laughing. She walked up behind him, grabbed the headphones and as she took them off, she said "Boo"

"Shi-" Liam jumped "god, Bianca" Liam placed his hand on his chest "you scared the fudge out of me"

"Heehee" Bianca giggled "what are you listening to anyway?" she asked, looking at the laptop screen "human beings?" she read

"Yea" Liam paused the song "the guitar playing is amazing. Its great"

"I've never heard it" Bianca confessed

"You've seen the film twister yea?" Bianca nodded "its featured on the soundtrack; its played just before the end credits"

"I'll remember to check that out" Bianca replied sarcastically "so' Bianca sighed as she sat on Liam's knee "I did some more research on the internet to find stores that stock wedding dresses and bridesmaids dresses and I found a place, but the only problem is its a 3 hour drive from here and I'd have to stay over for a night"

"Where is this place?" Liam asked

"I can't actually pronounce it" Bianca replied as she turned to face the laptop and type in the website she had found

"You couldn't pronounce it? a teaching assistant can't pronounce a word?" Liam stifled a laugh "oh that's brilliant"

"Alright then henchman" Bianca replied "you pronounce it then" Bianca said as she showed Liam the name of the place; he squinted as he saw the first three letters: PQW

"What sound does that make?" Liam asked, defeated

"To be honest I don't care; if it means Charlie can find a bridesmaid dress and I can find my perfect wedding dress, I don't care if no one in the world can pronnounce it" Bianca rose to her feet

"Where are you going?" Liam asked as Bianca headed for the door

"I'm going to see Charlie and tell her to pack for our little road trip" Bianca smiled, closing the door behind her. Liam nodded and glanced at the website one last time before he closed it down and went back to his music.

~

Brax slowly opened the door, looking over his shoulder to check that Charlie was still asleep on the couch "hey" Brax whispered when he saw Bianca stood at the door

"Hey" Bianca whispered back "why are you whispering?" Bianca asked, stood on the front step

Brax opened the door a little wider and showed Bianca, Charlie asleep on the couch "Carla came back. She knows about the baby and she is adamant that Angelo is the father and because of that, Carla is wanting rights to see the baby" Brax said to Bianca as they quietly walked through the front room and headed for the kitchen "I can't believe I let this happen"

"Hey, this isn't your fault" Bianca placed a comforting hand on Brax's arm

"I was upstairs when Carla was here. I was ten steps away from it all and I still let Charlie down. I promised her I would let nothing happen to her or the baby, and you know what? I failed that" Brax's eyes stung with tears "some father I'm going to make"

"Brax; you are going to make a fantastic father. You are standing by Charlie throughout everything, she knows that she will always have you there; you are going to be amazing at this Brax" Bianca squeezed Brax's arm, assuring him "and when that baby is born and you hold him, or her, you are going to be so smitten by them that, you'll forget ever feeling like this"

Brax sighed "I just wish she didn't have this to deal with. She's only got a couple of months until the due date and I don't want anything going wrong; we've only just managed to get a handle on her dehydration and that was bad enough" Brax shook his head "I just need to take her away from all of this for a few days, but I'm still in discussions with John over the club"

"I might have a solution for that" Bianca smiled "I found a place where they stock the dress of my dreams, and they also have a huge range of maternity bridesmaids dresses.

Its a three hour drive from here and its supposed to be a really nice place. I could see if I can get a couple of days booked in one of the hotels their and turn a shopping trip into a relaxation weekend"

"That would be great" Brax beamed "she needs this" Brax glanced into the front room; Charlie was still sound asleep on the couch "thank you"

"No worries. I might see if Leah wants to come, really get Charlie's mind off things here" Bianca suggested "I don't suppose having Ruby in another country is helping either. They seemed to be building bridges"

"Yea they were. And Case misses Ruby too" Brax replied "I have been trying to find a contact number for Ruby so I could let her know when the baby was born, but it seems Sally and Paul are doing everything they can to keep them hidden from the world"

"I never really liked Sally. She seemed too far up herself" Bianca settled back into the chair she was sat in "when we were at the hospital and Charlie was sat talking with Ruby and Sally or just Sally or whatever, I always got the feeling that Sally talked down to you, that no one was good enough to actually talk to her. God knows how she managed to get married and have kids"

~*~

Brax tiptoed out of the bedroom, he didn't want to wake Charlie who had now been asleep for nearly 14 hours. He decended the stairs and made his way into the kitchen to put a few things into a bag that Charlie could eat and drink on the way to the place that was unpronounceable with Bianca. Bianca was due in the next hour and Brax wanted to make sure everything was ready for Charlie so she could go right away and be Carla free for at least three days. He heard the sound of the toilet flushing and he knew Charlie was up. His tiptoeing hadn't worked; lately Charlie had been waking up at the slightest noise, while Brax snored through. Setting the table for breakfast, Brax poured some orange juice into the two glasses and then placed the boxes of cereal onto the table near the juice. He then added the final pieces to the breakfast table just as Charlie walked into the kitchen; her hair was a mess, she still was dressed in yesterdays clothes and her mascara had smudged over her face, but all Brax could see was the beauty that was Charlie.

"Moring beautiful" Brax smiled as he placed a kiss on Charlie's forehead

"Morning" Charlie yawned "aww, Brax" Charlie smiled as she saw breakfast all layed out "you are sweet"

"I know" Brax smiled, pulling the chair out for Charlie and then tucking her under "Bianca and I have organised for you, her and Leah to getaway from the Bay -and Carla- for a few days. Bianca was researching dresses on the net and she found a place beginning with PQW that has loads of shops and places to visit" Brax poured himself some cereal "they'll be here in an hour or so"

"What?" Charlie said loudly "an hour? Brax! I have to have a shower, pack, get my things together" Charlie began to eat her cereal "why didn't you wake me?"

"Because, all you have to do is eat your breakfast, have a shower and get dressed. I packed your things and I even put some money in a purse for you"

"You gave me money?" Charlie slowed her eating down

"Eh, no. I got the money from your purse" Brax confessed; he had no money of his own left after spending it all on things for the baby's room and the engagement ring he had intended to give Charlie the night before "I don't get paid until next week"

"Oh" Charlie yawned again "so what are you going to do whilst I'm away? I don't want you having to deal with Carla"

"I won't have to. If she comes by here I'll tell her to fu-"

"You won't!" Charlie stopped him mid sentence. "She'll have you for threatening her and then we'll both have things hanging over our heads" Charlie looked down to the table;

Carla saying she would fight to see the baby had really scared Charlie. Carla had proof of Charlie's past habits which could go against her in a court of law "please don't talk to her at all. Avoid her"

"I will Charlie" Brax smiled "I promise" he added before the sound of a car horn distracted them both "that'll be the girls" Brax rose to his feet and headed for the door. Opening it he found Bianca and Leah making their way down the path "morning" Brax smiled as Bianca and Leah entered the house

"Morning" the girls said together

"I'll grab Charlie's things" Brax made himself scarce from the room, allowing the girls time to say hello and to brief Charlie in what they were going to be doing for the next few days

"Right. I hope you are ready for none stop relaxation" Bianca smiled as she watched Charlie approach them "the retreat looks gorgeous and customer reviews say its fabulous" Bianca wrapped her arms around Charlie

"I don't care if it was in the middle of nowhere and there was a smelly farm beside it. As long as I don't have to worry about Carla knocking on the door, I know I'll be relaxed" Charlie smiled, swapping her hug partner

"Here you are" Brax said as he placed Charlie's bag on the ground

"Thank you" Leah said quickly, grabbing the bag "come on, otherwise we'll never go" She added, noticing Charlie's un-uregncy to leave

"Yea, you'd better go. Enjoy whatever you do" Brax smiled, feeling himself well up. He and Charlie hadn't spent anytime way from each other since they got together; they were always together, never apart.

~

Two cars drove passed each other; one with the three women in, and the other with a man, a sleeping teen and an eager teen. She looked out of the window like a child did when they looked through the window of a sweet shop; her eyes glued to the houses that lined the beach front; her mind only on the one door that, hidden behind, was a part of her past, and the next part of her future.

"Welcome home guys" Paul smiled as he pulled the car into a space on the side of the road. dan remained asleep as Ruby scrambled around the car, grabbing her bag and unbuckling herself from the car "hold your horses Rubes" Paul said as he removed his belt "maybe give it a couple of hours before you call round. we have unpacking to do"

Ruby sighed "I just... its been three months dad" Ruby looked to the house in the distance "I've missed so much"

"And two more hours won't hurt. Beside, we've travelled non-stop for hours and you need a shower and to have some food" Paul said, noticing his own body odour had begun to change

"Maybe your right" Ruby replied; the thought of seeing Charlie and smelling like a sweaty football team's locker room didn't appeal to her "I'll call round after tea" Ruby couldn't remove the smile from her face; she was so close to seeing Charlie again, and she couldn't wait to begin re-building a relationship with her; whatever that relationship was going to be.

Poor Charlie..so glad she is going away with Bianca and Leah for a few days! Brax is so amazing..I can't wait for them to find out it's his baby *wishful thinking* OMG yay so happy Ruby is back..looking forward to hers and Charlie's "reunion"! :wub: Another fab chapter, please update soon! Xx

So glad you updated

Happy that Paul and the kids came back... might bring Sally to her senses

Aww Ruby just missed Charlie and the girls. Can't wait for a Ruby and Charlie reunion

And Brax is just so nice in this fic... love it

update soon :)

• 1 month later...

Im terrible at this! I'm really, really sorry guys! I have had this chapter written for a while but have had no time to post it! I hope that I have a few readers still out their, and if I do you are the most patient people I think I know.

Hope its okay, I have wanted to move on in time, but I'll do that after the next chapter.

Anyway, here goes:.....

Chapter 55

Ruby ran up the stairs as soon as she had finished her tea. Paul was sure she had burnt her mouth on her food; she had too, her plate was still steaming from the small pieces of food left on the plate.

Dan looked to where Ruby had been sitting and then looked to his dad, placing into his mouth a fork full of food "are you worried?" he asked

"No" Paul shook his head "not anymore. Ruby is back where she has wanted to be for so long, she can build a relationship with a piece of her past" Paul wiped his mouth

"Do you think mum will ever come around?" Dan asked

"To be honest son, I don't" Paul shook his head "I don't think Sally ever thought Charlie would still be living in the Bay or still be attatched to the daughter she gave up"

"How will it work though? I mean, Charlie is Ruby's biological mother, so doesn't that mean Charlie has more of a right to see Ruby?" Dan asked, after all, the whole set up of the adoption seemed a little patchy to say the least

"According to the signed agreement that Charlie, your mother and I signed its a closed adoption. We did give the option of an open one, but Ross thought it would be easier if Charlie had no updates on how Ruby was doing. Your mother and I took Ruby, and that was supposed to be the last of them ever seeing each other" Paul explained "but with Ruby being so adamant of finding her birth mother and finding that missing piece of herself, it was only a matter of time until she found what she was looking for. Charlie living in the Bay still was a lucky break for Ruby and a difficult bump in the road for your mum" Paul sighed; he always remembered the day of the agreement signing, Charlie was resistant to the idea, screaming until her voice was hoarse in arguement of the decision Ross had made. Paul always felt sorry for Charlie as he could see the pain and suffering in her eyes, and it haunted him.

"How do you feel about it all dad?" Dan asked, for the first time, finding this a perfect opportunity to find out how his dad truely felt, knowing his mum was dead set against the idea of there been a reunion between Charlie and Ruby

"I never wanted the adoption to be closed; its had for the birth mother when she never wanted to give the baby up in the first place. If Charlie was completly sure that she never wanted anything to do with the baby at any point, then I would have fully agreeed to the closed adoption. An open one would have been enough, even if it was just pictures Ruby drew, or recordings of her doing things" Paul shook his head "you were two and Issy three when we started the process of adopting and by the time we got Ruby, you were three nearly four and issy was four nearly five; you were at Nursery when we had the arguements, we had so many fights because we both wanted a different kind of adoption"

"Sounds like mum and Charlie's dad wanted closed and you and Charlie wanted open" Dan laughed awkwardly, the whole situation was complicated; more so now with half the family in New Zealand and Charlie about to have a second baby "So what will happen when the baby is born then?" Dan asked

"I really have no idea son" Paul exhaled loudly, I really don't know"

~*~

Bianca looked in the rear view mirror and smiled softly to herself; Charlie had fallen asleep and she looked so peaceful in the back with her head rested against a fluffy pink pillow. Leah glanced over her shoulder and then looked to Bianca, both sharing a smile

"She really does need this" Bianca said, indicating to the right and joining the next lane "Brax is worried about her; after the Ruby/Sally thing and been rushed to hospital and now that Carla is back, he has no idea what is going through her mind"

"Why is she back anyway? I mean, its not like Charlie will welcome her back with open arms or anything, and the baby is Brax's"

"We can keep saying he's the dad, but the truth is, there is that chance that biolgically, he isn't" Bianca replied

"Biology has nothing to do with what makes a mum and what makes a dad" Leah replied "and Carla needs to wake up and realise that"

"Maybe we should keep Charlie here until after the baby is born and then when we see who the baby looks like more, we can say Carla, bugger off; here's your proof that the baby isn't Angelo's" Bianca laughed

"Yea" Leah laughed

"Oh my god" Bianca gasped as she drove round the bend "we're here"

"Its beautiful" Leah added as she looked at the setting infront; clear blue waters, showing the ocean floor in all its glory, golden sandy beaches filled with people, shops lining the road leading through the unpronouncable place "Wow"

"I know right?" Bianca beamed "and if this doesn't help Charlie then, we're in big trouble"

"I don't even know what we can say to her to even help, I mean, its not like we can put ourselves in her shoes and imagine what she's going through" Leah sighed, she hated not knowing how to help Charlie, she had always known what to say and do to help, but this was a challenge "and its not even one thing; its four things plus the health scares she's been having"

"I know what you mean, Brax is worrying too; he feels incapable of helping but I told him all he has to do is be there for her" Bianca replied as she pulled the car into the car park outside of the hotel they were staying in. She glanced into the back seat and saw Charlie still asleep "unless we each choose a problem to help her with" Bianca suggested "either that or we could just get rid of Carla for her"

"If only it were that simple" Leah added, sighing heavily.

~*~

Ruby gasped for air as she stood at the top of the path leading to Charlie and Brax's house. She stood for a while, seeing if she could see a pushchair outside, to see if she could see the next door neighbour from her dream. A huge smile appeared on her face when she saw no signs of her dream in place. Opening the gate, she made her way down the path. Each step causing her heart to beat harder, she felt nervous in seeing Charlie for the first time in three months and seeing how big she was. She outstreched her hand as she reached the door, making it into a fist just moments before she made contact with the door. Ruby anxiously bit her lip and she knocked at the door, waiting to see the face she had missed for three months.

"Ruby!" Brax said, amazed by the face he looked upon "when did you get back?" He asked, looking to the young teen as she stood on the door step

"A few hours ago" Ruby replied "I wanted to come around sooner but my dad was like, settle back home first and then go round and see them" Ruby smiled "he was right I guess" Ruby looked to Brax, wondering when he was going to let her into the house

"Does Casey know you're back?" Brax asked

"Nope" Ruby shook her head "I was more bothered about seeing Charlie and finding out how everything here has gone on. I've missed so much already and I don't really want to miss anything else" Ruby tucked her hair behind her ears "I don't mean to be rude, but is there any chance of going into the house?"

"No" Brax gasped "sorry Ruby" Brax moved out of the way and let Ruby into the warmth of the house. He then closed the door and walked behind Ruby into the front room

"Have you actually started getting anything for the baby?" Ruby asked, noticing a lack of baby things in the front room

"We do have things, but Charlie wants them kept out of sight for a while" Brax replied

"Why? She was really happy and excited when I left" Ruby stopped in her tracks "Oh my god, nothing has happened to the baby has it? there is nothing wrong with the baby is there? or Charlie?" Ruby worried

"Oh god no, Charlie is doing well, she looks gorgeous. And the baby is growing really well; doc says its perfect" Brax smiled

"So, why does Charlie not want anything showing in the house? Why is she keeping things hidden?" Ruby asked, confused

"I can't say" Brax replied, sitting on the couch

"Why not?" Ruby asked, sitting opposite Brax

"Charlie asked me not to say anything, and I promised her I wouldn't" Brax answered

"Speaking of Charlie, where is she?" Ruby asked, looking around and not seeing Charlie

"Bianca and Leah took her to a hotel and spa to relax a little. Charlie hasn't been able to find a bridesmaid dress for the wedding and she's got herself into a mood about that" Brax answered

"Oh" Ruby replied, sounding dissappointed "I was hoping to see her, like right now"

"She'll be back in a couple of days" Brax replied

"I know, its just; three months has gone by and I had hoped to spend more time with her before the baby is born because once the baby arrives, thats it; time with Charlie is going to be little and I don't want to deprive Charlie of time with the baby" Ruby wiped her cheek as a tear rolled down it

"Ruby, Charile has two months before the baby is due; that is plenty of time to work through things and-" Brax had to stop. He didn't know what to say

"Thanks Brax" Ruby placed her hand on his shoulder "I know what you're trying to say" Brax smiled thankfully to Ruby "anyway" Ruby said to change the subject "anything else happened here whilst I've been away?"

~*~

"Oh my gosh" Leah gasped as she caught sight of the water feature in the hotel lobby "its beautiful"

"Wow" Bianca smiled, looking around "not a bad place to escape to"

"Nope" Leah smiled "and to say its in a place no one can actually pronounce" Bianca laughed "what do you think Charlie?" Leah asked as she saw Charlie look to the water feature

"I think having a water feature as the first thing a pregnant woman sees is touture" Charlie said as she glanced around "where's the toilets?" she asked quietly to Leah

"Over here" A man said

Charlie turned around slowly, embarrased by the fact that even though she spoke quietly, someone had heard her "Thank you"

"Not a problem. I can see how the water feature can cause a woman in your condition to experience needing the loo more than others. May I be the first to welcome you to the hotel and I hope you have a pleasent stay. If there is anything you need, please, don't hesistate to grab one of the staff to help" the man smiled politely before making his way over to a second group of new arrivals

"He was nice" Leah smiled as Bianca and Charlie began to head toward the toliets "I was just saying" she added as she heard small laughs coming from her friends.

~

The last day of their three day get-away had arrived.
Bianca and Leah sat with their feet dangling in the pool as they watched their friend bask in the warm room, having her face massaged by one of the hottest men they had ever seen.

"I think this is what Charlie has really needed" Leah smiled "I mean, look at her"

Bianca looked. She hadn't seen Charlie this relaxed in a long time "Its amazing isn't it? She is a different person" Bianca picked up her glass of juice and took a sip "I feel really bad that we have to take her back today"

"I don't" Leah smiled as she grabbed her phone from her purse "I got a text from Brax a few minutes ago" Leah handed her phone to Bianca

Hey, hope the trip has been good. I don't want you telling Charlie, but we have a visitor. Ruby arrived in the Bay just after you guys left. She can't wait to see Charlie, but I get first dibs on seeing her. Hope all is well, see you when you get back.

PS, thank you, I mean it. Thank you

"Oh my gosh" Bianca squealed "she came back?"

"Shhh" Leah giggled "yea, she's back"

"Do you think Sally came back with her?" Bianca asked ""because, I don't think Charlie can handle two bitches in the Bay" Bianca said "and out of both, I'd rather have Carla. And that's saying something"

"I know" Leah agreed "Brax hasn't said, you've seen the text. Maybe its just Paul who came back. I like Paul, I get the feeling that he was against the move in the first place"

"Yea, I think he was" Bianca nodded "Its gotta be difficult though, I mean; you have a wife who is worried that their youngest is never going to speak to them again if they bond with thier birth mother, but they risk loosing them if they keep their child away from their birth mother. And Paul, he's stuck in the middle. He's Ruby's dad, no doubt about it, but because Charlie never wanted to give Ruby up, she has two mum's"

"Don't even try and figure it all out. Its complicated and its a sensitive subject" Leah took a sip of her drink "Things will sort themselves out, you'll see" Leah added, not convinced of her own words

Archived