Dodge does deserve some credit

Guest Old H&A Fan

I agree with the above. The nicest thing that can be said about Dodge is that he wasn't a two dimensional villain. Of course there were fragments of decency in him (otherwise he would have walked off and left Sally to drown when she got washed away). That doesn't mean he wasn't a villain, a liar, a manipulator, and most important of all - very dangerous to know, let alone live in a house with a loving family.

In fact I think the fact that he does have levels of "good" in him, yet continues to choose to be horrifically derranged, is not in the least reassuring. It makes him scarier.

As has been pointed out, Dodge in '89 was just a tearaway who didn't mean to kill Philip Matheson. He was stupid more than evil.

He did organise Tom & Pippa's anniversary party. This was obviously to keep in favour with them but that indicates he had some feeling in him.

But after years in jail, you can see the marked difference in the Dodge of '95 - that Dodge was pure evil.....

The Dodge of '95 would have scared the hell out of the so-called tough River Boys....

Whilst I wouldn't call Dodge "evil", I think calling him "stupid" is giving him both too much and too little credit.He didn't intend to kill Philip but he wasn't particularly bothered that he didn't.He came across as selfish, malicious and vindictive, putting himself and his own desires first and everyone else a very distant second.He was capable of doing the right thing if there was something in it for him or if he didn't have any reason not to but he didn't show any concern for the people who were collateral damage of his schemes, let alone those he deliberately hurt like Celia(by torching her store)or Simon(by framing him for arson), which seems to mark him out as a fairly nasty piece of work.

Dodge was one of my all time favourite villains. He was a complex character but a very entertaining one to say the least. When he was introduced in 1989 he came across as being a typical teenager who was rebelling big time. He was smoking, going to nightclubs in the city and doing all sorts of crazy things. I have no doubt that the fired that killed Steven's uncle which he caused was not intended to kill Steven's uncle but to get revenge on Celia who had dobbed Dodge into the police the first time he was in the bay.

Dodge 1989 wasn't pure evil but he was no angel either. What really shocked me about his character was the fact that he came from a good family background. His father was an accountant and his mother hosted tupperware parties. His personality of his character would have suggested that he came from an abusive and rough background.

When he returned in 1995, Dodge was pure evil. He was intent on getting revenge on Steven after the events that occurred in 1989. The final fight-off between Steven and himself was filled with uncertainty and unanswered questions. We still wonder to this day what happened to Dodge? Is he somehow still alive or is he dead? He could technically still comeback to the Bay, but he doesn't have any real connections to the show now. Personally I think he's dead, as he would never have lied down about being put into jail until he got his revenge on Steven.

A very underrated villain and probably the best one we had before the likes of Sarah Lewis, Angie, Zoe and Johnny came along.

Archived