Elliot's Return

Guest TelephotoMarigold

Chapter 30

Roman kissed her awake after an hour.

“Hey.” He said softly.

She looked up at him sleepily.

“Hey.” She replied.

“You are so going to owe me.” He muttered.

She smiled.

“I was planning lots of sex to make up for it.” she promised.

“Uh huh.” He grinned. “I don’t think it is possible to have that much sex.” He grinned some more at her blush before kissing her.

She put her arms around him and held him close pressing her lips passionately against his. After a time he pulled back and looked into her eyes.

“I love you El.” He murmured slowly against her lips.

He eased off the bed and carried his bag down the stairs placing it out of sight in the study, closing the study door firmly behind him and watched as Ella walked down the stairs.

She reached out her hand to him and he moved towards her.

“A week and then nothing is going to keep me away from you, not Elliot not anyone.” He told her.

She nodded.

“Ok.” she agreed.

He grinned.

“And in the meantime you better be thinking of a few new positions for us to try out.” He suggested.

She went bright red and moved away restlessly.

“Uh huh.” She said.

He chucked at her and they moved into the kitchen.

“So who was it?” he asked.

She looked at him.

“Danni or Sophie.” She shrugged. “I’ll be having a talk. Did you see if any of the letters had been read?”

He shook his head.

“I can’t say I was looking too closely I was having a bit of a flashback.” He told her.

She pulled open a cupboard and took out the secret chocolate stash and opened up the big bar breaking a big bit off and offering it to him.

He took the chocolate and bit it.

“I’m sorry. I just wanted to leave you something just in case.” She tried to explain her reasons.

“I know.” He told her. “It’s just too close to the ..” he stopped.

“The cancer and the accident.” she asked.

He nodded reaching over for more chocolate.

“Well that’s part of it.” she took a big piece of chocolate. “When I had cancer I prepared for things just in case and then the accident came and took me away with no warning. I just didn’t want to leave you like that again without you knowing how much I love you.”

He looked at her and took the chocolate from her fingers before pulling her into his arms and kissing her.

“There is no way chocolate is as good as sex.” He said after a moment.

She smiled.

“Just wait until I introduce you to what I plan to so with chocolate mousse.” She murmured.

He let out a laugh and looked into her eyes.

“I love you Roman Harris.” She told him and gave him one of his special smiles.

Nic and Geoff took Mira with them when they went to the beach house.

He looked at her and saw the way her eyes had lit up.

“I guess you want to do this?” he asked.

She nodded.

“I do. I love living with my dad and Ella but I really want our own space again.” Nic told him. “I want to put my furniture around and make my home again.” She said illogically.

He laughed.

“Ok Princess.” He smiled at her.

“Great Sofa there and chair with the floor cushions and put the TV in the corner. Take the doors off the unit under the stairs and paint them red.” She continued to outline the plans for the house.

“Angel can have the room down here but we will be nailing the window shut.” Geoff said softly.

Nic turned and looked at him.

“Nailed shut?” she murmured. “I’m going to have that bricked up.”

Geoff laughed.

“That is a bit harsh, she may not take after you.” Geoff murmured softly.

Nic was looking at the shelf unit and half nodded before his words sank in.

“Hey,” she muttered.

Geoff grinned and leaned over to press a kiss to her lips.

“You know what I’m looking forward to most?” she asked him.

He looked into her eyes thinking her as beautiful now as the day he married her.

“No Princess.” He told her softly.

She put her arm around his waist and leaned in close to him.

“Christening the house.” She murmured.

He laughed and kissed her again.

“Well it was a bit limiting at your Dad’s place.” Geoff told her with a grin.

She laughed.

“So how are we going to do this?” she asked him.

He smiled.

“I thought we could buy a half share to start with. It will leave us with plenty of money set aside.” He murmured.

She nodded.

“I am so looking forward to this. Let’s go upstairs.” She smiled at him.

“Nic?” he grinned at her.

“I mean to looked at bedrooms.” She shook her head and her blonde hair swung around her face. “Really for a pastor you have a dirty mind.” She muttered and stormed up the stairs.

Geoff laughed.

“Hear that Mira? Your Mummy is insulting me.” He took the carrier up the stairs with him and saw Nic looking in the master bedroom a dreamy expression on her face.

“I love you Geoffrey Campbell.” She said.

She turned to look at him.

“Thank you for giving me a house.” She added.

“Nic.” He protested. “We worked together for this.”

She grinned at him.

“No this is down to your hard work. Travelling all over the district. I want you to know how grateful I am and how proud of you I am and I am so sorry that I took it for granted. I never want us to be at the point of talking about divorce again because I love you.” She said quietly, the words heartfelt.

He placed the baby carrier carefully on the hardwood floor and moved over to where Nic was standing by the window. He looked into her beautiful sapphire blue eyes and then at her sensual lips.

“I love Nicole. I always have and I know I always will.” He told her and kissed her. He held her tight in his arms and pressed her full length against him. She wrapped her arms around his neck and clung to him.

Elliot walked into the bar and took a seat at the bar next to Mike.

“Ok Elliot.” Mike murmured.

“Got paid a visit.” He began.

“Salvation army? Avon? Jehovah’s Witnesses?” Mike interrupted.

“Your dad’s mates.” Elliot finished.

“And you got me here for what Elliot? To interrogate me again about my fricking stepfather or to tell me they are pissed at you?” Mike grouched.

“I’m hear to have a moan about that B*stard.” Elliot said a curious light in his eyes.

“Fine. Whatever.” Mike said quietly.

Elliot nodded and ordered a couple of beers before turning to Mike.

“What was it like growing up with him.” Elliot said quickly.

“Harsh. But luckily I was at boarding school a lot of the time.” he grinned. “This one time my Mum wanted to take me surfing but he came along and she was like all over him. I tried to get her attention and he ended up grounding me for some stupid kid stuff. After that I stayed at Boarding school.”

Elliot laughed.

“I can’t imagine him being strict.” Elliot murmured.

Mike laughed.

“He wasn’t he was just not interested. It’s my Mum who wanted the kids. He had Princess Nic and that was it for him he didn’t want anymore.”

“So how come they ended up with so many.” Elliot said.

Mike chuckled.

“My mum was brought up catholic.” He said by way of explanation. Both Ella and his real dad had been brought up Catholic in their formative years, their mother having a strong religious background herself. Plus he hadn’t wanted to tell Elliot how much in love Ella and Roman were regardless of how much they had gone through in their ten years together.

Elliot nodded and handed the beer to Mike.

He took a long swig of it and grinned.

“So he would care if I killed you right now?” Elliot asked a strange note in his voice.

Mike laughed out loud.

“Probably.” He murmured. “But only because my mum would be upset.”

“So she is his Achilles heel then.” He murmured.

Mike grinned.

“He doesn’t have one. You’ve already tried to get to him Elliot. You’ll be much better off just taking him on one on one.” Mike murmured. “I’d buy tickets.”

“Come on. Lets grab a bottle and go back to my place.” Elliot murmured.

Mike nodded.

“Just got to use the gents first. Grab my jacket will you.” He murmured.

Elliot nodded and moved over to pick up Miles jacket. He waited a moment before checking the pockets and saw Mike’s phone inside one of the pockets. He took it out and switched it off before putting it in his own pocket.

Mike strolled out of the gents and collected his jacket.

“Let’s go.” He murmured. “And maybe we could talk about something other than my stepfather for a change.”

Elliot grinned.

“I make no promises.” Elliot laughed.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chapter 31

Mike woke up slowly. He blinked and tried to get past the fuzzy feeling in his mouth. He looked slowly around the darkened room and tried to move his hands and feet. The slowness of the response from his limbs told him he had been drugged and more that that he was restrained. He pulled at his wrists and found that they were handcuffed behind him. He was also wearing full leg restraints. He moaned softly as a wave of nausea ran though him.

“You didn’t think I fell for the I hate Hardcore routine did you?” Elliot asked him switching on the bright overhead light.

Mike lowered his head from the influx of the harsh light against his eyes. He slowly looked around where he was and took in the warehouse walls.

“What did you do to me?” he asked quickly, his tongue feeling two sizes too big for his mouth. He noted that his teeth felt furry and grimaced.

“Drugs?” he asked.

Elliot laughed.

“Rohypnol for a start.” he confirmed. “Then a little something to keep you from wriggling around too much.”

Mike nodded and then groaned as a wave of nausea went through him,

“Water?” he asked.

Elliot moved over to him and helped him take a drink of water.

“I’m going to send a message to you dear ole’ Dad but first I need something else. Tell me Mike have you heard of Oxytocin?” Elliot asked him a slow spreading grin on his face.

Mike shook his head.

“Its used to bring on labour.” He explained. “Couple of side effects, it lowers the baby’s heart rate so they like to keep it monitored. Pity she won’t be in a hospital isn’t it.”

“Elliot what are you planning?” Mike asked slowly.

”And spoil the plot?” Elliot’s grin turned evil. “Let me just say that Mummy will be making a guest appearance in this show. And she should have fond memories of this place.” He finished.

“Elliot.” Mike said quietly.” don’t even think about hurting her because you will never escape us.”

“Well that is the interesting thing Mike, Hardcore will have the chance to save one of you. I wonder who he will choose?”

Elliot stood and moved out of the room.

Mike heard the door shut and then lock. He listened to his retreating footsteps before looking around the room for something to help.

Ella called Sophie and Danni into her bedroom and sat them down. She waited for a long minute before she even looked at them.

“Well.” She said.

“It was her.” Danni said quickly.

“Wuss.” Sophie grumbled.

“Talk.” Ella said quietly.

“You were acting strange around Daddy and talking to Jacko and Unc Miles. So we knew something was up. We snuck in here one night and saw that Daddy wasn’t sleeping here and his car was gone.” Sophie told her.

Ella nodded and eased down on the stool in front of her dressing table waiting for the next bit.

Sophie pushed her hair behind her ears and looked at Danni.

“I took the letter for Gabriel.” She admitted “and I sent it to her.”

“Danni.” Ella said angrily.

They held hands and looked at each other again before both of them speaking at once.

“It’s not fair we have a sister and we need to find her.” Sophie mumbled.

“You need to find your daughter.” Danni said.

“And what right did you have to go through my stuff? To interfere in not one but two things that were none of your business? You upset your dad. And you have really upset me. “ She murmured to them.

Sophie started crying.

“When were you going to tell us you and Daddy were getting a divorce again? Why can’t you just admit you love each other.” she cried.

Danni put her arm around her and held her for a long moment.

“Daddy and I aren't getting a divorce.” Ella told her. “Now you listen to me young lady, I love your Daddy with all of my heart but sometimes that isn’t enough. We’ve been though a lot together and the thing that will never change is that we are your parents and we love you.”

“So you are getting a divorce. And Danni will have to live away from us because they won’t let her stay.” Sophie stood up and glared at her.

“Sophie Nicole Harris.” Ella said quickly. “Sit yourself down. “

Sophie glared at her but sank slowly on the bed.

“Your daddy and I are not planning on divorce. We haven’t even talked about that word. “ Ella told her. “Now your punishment for what you have done is that you are grounded for two weeks. No allowance and no treats.”

Sophie looked up.

“Is that all?” she asked.

Ella nodded at her daughter.

“And consider yourself very lucky.” She murmured.

Sophie looked at her.

“And Daddy?” she said pushing her luck, just a little.

“Your father is staying at Unc Miles for while.” Was all Ella said.

Danni stood up and moved to the door.

“Sit down Danni.” Ella said to her. “I haven’t finished with you. Sophie you can go.”

Danni and Sophie looked at each other before Sophie left the room.

“Yes?” Danni asked quietly.

“It seems to me that you need a bit more stability than us fostering you can offer.” Ella began.

Danni’s head shot up.

“What are you saying?” she murmured quickly.

Ella pulled out an envelope from her dresser and handed that over.

“Roman and I have started looking into adoption.” She murmured. “It’s your choice but if you are willing to get yourself messed up in crazy schemes the rest of the family come up with then you should really be known as a Harris.”

“Really?” Danni asked. “Really?” she repeated.

Sophie pushed open the door and ran over to her.

“Yeh!” she shouted. “You’re really my sister now.” She added throwing her arms around her.

“Sophie.” Ella muttered.

She looked at her mum.

“Opps.” She said with a shrug.

Ella laughed and moved over to them.

“Come here.” She said and gave them both a hug. “You young lady better go and tell the others that Daddy and I aren’t splitting up. And you need to make a decision. But do you really want to be part of this mad cap family?” She pointed out to Danni.

Sophie grinned.

“Of course she does.” She answered for her. “Come on sister.” She added pulling her by the hand. “We need to let everyone know.” She grinned at her and pulled her out of the room.

Ella laughed at them.

After struggling to get the excited children to bed, where they insisted that Danni had to sleep with them, she was finally stood out on the back veranda with a long glass of juice. She watched the dark sky and the full moon. Before answering her phone as it interrupted her thoughts.

“Hey.” She said to Roman.

“Hey yourself. Kids in bed?” he asked her.

She grinned.

“Yup.” She murmured.

“Did you tell Danni?”

“What? You mean you didn’t hear the excited screams from there?”

“We must have missed them.” Roman chuckled.

“Who is my bodyguard tonight?” she murmured.

“Pete.” He paused and then chuckled again. “I’ve just been told to tell you to wave.”

She laughed and lifted up her hand obediently waving.

“He’s waving back.” Roman told her. “You wouldn’t need a bodyguard if I were there.” He told her with a growl.

“Ouh.” She murmured. “Have you been thinking of a few positions yourself.”

He laughed.

“One or two. Tell baby to hurry up and get here.” He said frustration dripping from every syllable.

She laughed.

“Down boy.” She murmured. “Hey I have another call coming through. It’s Mike.” She said puzzled. "Have we heard from him lately?” she asked Roman.

“No. Ella be careful.” He warned suddenly feeling a real bad feeling in the pit of his stomach.

“Love you.” She said and clicked the call across.

“Hello Beth.” Elliot murmured.

“It’s Ella.” She said in a harsh tone of voice. “What do you want?”

“Not even going to ask me what I’m doing with your son’s phone.”

She breathed out slowly.

“Why bother when I presume you are going to tell me.”

“Get into your car and meet me at the diner.” He instructed. “You have twenty minutes to get there before I kill him.” Elliot told her cutting the connection.

She starred at her phone for a moment frozen in shock before she acknowledged Pete was standing there next to her, materialising out of the darkness.

“Twenty minutes to meet him at the diner before he kills Mike.” She said slowly. “Tell Roman.”

“Girlie if you go you are just walking into a trap.” Pete tried to dissuade her.

“I know that Pete but I know Roman will come for me.“ she said slowly.

Chapter 32

Ella left her phone in the car and tucked the keys under the front wheel. She moved to towards the diner and waited outside the locked doors anxiously.

He approached her form the direction of the beach.

“Are you alone?” he asked.

She nodded and held her hands up.

“See no weapons.” She murmured.

He nodded but still patted her down.

“Good.” He said quietly.

“I don’t want you Ella I want Hardcore.” Elliot told her.

She nodded.

“Don’t worry you’ll get your shot with him Elliot.” she promised. “I just hope you are ready for it.”

“Is that some kind of oblique threat?” he asked her quickly.

She looked at him with a sympathetic glare.

“Nobody hurts his family.” She told him. “Not Nic and not us.”

He grinned.

“I’m counting on him coming for you.” He murmured.

“He’ll come and when he does you’ll die.” She promised.

“Ouh I’m scared.” Elliot muttered to her.

“You should be Elliot. One thing I know about my husband is that he will kill to protect others that he cares for. He did it once when he shot your brother.” She said quietly.

“Are you trying to push my buttons so I make a mistake? Because I’ve had a lot of time to think about this Ella. Years planning this. I’d hoped that he would be married you see so I could hurt him worse. Would you like to know what I’m going to do?” he murmured.

She shook her head.

“No just get on with it.” she yawned as though bored.

He looked at her before he caught hold of her hand and tugged her arm behind her back.

“Now since you’ve been so accommodating I trust I don’t have to worry about putting you in the trunk?” he asked.

She glared at him.

He pulled out a pair of handcuffs and placed them on her wrists keeping her hands behind her back. He put her in the back of his car before climbing into the front and setting off. She caught sight of the direction they were headed in and felt the first stirrings of panic.

“Elliot you are sick.” She gasped out.

“I have a special room all prepared for you.” He grinned as he dragged her out of the car.

She began to fight him.

“No.” she screamed.

“Don’t you think Hardcore will appreciate the irony?” he asked.

She screamed again.

“Relax Ella.” He murmured manoeuvring her into the warehouse Gardy had kept her in. “You gave me the idea when you said ask about Gardy.” He grinned at her.

She shuddered and fell against him letting her weight throw him off balance.

“Please.” She begged. “Please god no!” she added.

“Move B*tch.” He said yanking her to her feet and dragging her into the same room. He threw her onto the bed he had set up before he undid the handcuffs. She rolled over and lunged at him then fighting him curling her fingers she scratched at his face.

“Relax.” He snarled.

He caught hold of her hand and snapped the handcuffs to the top of the metal bed frame. She tried to hit him with her free hand but he caught hold of it and clicked it into the other handcuff attached to the side of the bed. He lifted her body back on to the bed and fastened her feet into the new leg restraints fastened to the bottom of the bed before removing the other ones.

“Now are you going to behave?” he asked her.

She looked at him with big frightened eyes.

He grinned and reached for the drip he had prepared.

“Now hold still because I haven’t done this before Ella.” He said and reached to attach the drip to her arm.

She moaned as the needle went into her arm. He moved it around before he found the vein.

“Tell me Ella do you know what Oxytocin is?” he asked her.

She shook her head biting her lip.

“It brings on labour.” He murmured. “I understand that in cases like your they prefer to bring you in for a C section.” He smiled coldly. “I should warn you that this drug lowers the baby’s heartbeat. “

“You b*stard. I will kill you for this.” She screamed.

“Now Ella. Like you will get the chance.” He murmured calmly. “You’ll be dead soon. I’m sorry because I did like you when I had you but he needs to know what it’s like to have everyone he cares for taken away.”

She turned her head away and closed her eyes.

He turned the drip up so it flowed quicker.

“Ella tell me do you like what I’ve done with the place? Have I got the right room? Is this where Gardy did it?” he said leaning close to her. “Imagine that Hardcore arriving too late to save you from that? He doesn’t have the best timing does he?”

She kept her face turned away from him.

“And here is the kicker. Opening your door to rescue you will trigger an explosion in Mike’s room. Probably fatal. Of course, should he chose to rescue Mike then well, it won’t be so good for you.” Elliot explained.

He turned and moved away leaving her alone in the same room that Gardy had kept her in.

Roman arrived at the house within minutes of Ella’s departure and saw Pete there waiting for him.

“What did she do?” he asked.

“She went to meet him at the diner. He has Mike too.” Pete told him.

“Lets go.” Roman muttered and turned and walked out.

“Where?” Pete asked him.

“The diner.”

Pete shook his head.

“He will have got her by now,”

Roman looked at him for a moment.

“Yes but that isn’t what he wants Pete. He will have left a clue there for me.” He told his friend. “It’s about me suffering not killing Ella. He will want me to see the results of his handiwork.” Roman murmured.

Pete nodded and climbed in the car with him.

“I’ll call Jacko and James and let them know what has happened.” He said.

Roman nodded before he concentrated on the road.

Chapter 33

Roman looked at Ella’s car finding the keys on top of the front wheel. He opened up the glove compartment and pulled out her phone. Scrolling through the call log he saw the call coming in from Mike’s phone before reading a message for him in the pending folder. He grinned for a second and then handed the phone over to Pete.

“Can you check where the last call came from?” he asked.

Pete nodded.

“We can narrow it down. Good thinking on her part.” He said.

“She knew if she took the phone he would smash it. “ Roman smiled grimly.

He handed the car keys to Pete.

“You’ll need to drive this home.” He told him.

Pete nodded.

He pulled out a small mirror on an extending wand and used it to check that there were no explosive devisees attached to the underside of the car.

“Clear.” He called out before checking the engine.

Roman looked around the area, searching for something that would tell him where they were.

“Anything?” Pete said.

He shook his head.

“He wants me to suffer tonight. To think about what he’s doing to them.” Roman said quietly.

“What message did she put?” Pete asked after a few minutes.

Roman looked at him.

“She told me to listen for her she would call.” He said softly.

Pete starred at him.

“I don’t understand.” He murmured.

They saw headlights coming up the road and waited. After a moment the other vehicle slowed to stop and James and Jacko got out of the car.

“Hardcore.” Jacko murmured.

“He got her.” Roman said.

Jacko nodded.

“We canvas the area?” James asked.

“I’ve been over it once and I can’t see anything.” He said.

James nodded and moved away with Roman leaving Pete still looking puzzled.

“Hey?” Jacko asked in shorthand.

“She left a message on her phone.” Pete began. “Telling him to listen she would call. But I don’t understand.” He added.

Jacko grinned.

“They have this connection. Sometimes they can sense each other.” he explained to Pete. “Spookiest sh*t I ever saw.”

Pete laughed.

“Guess he really met his match back in the day.”

Jacko looked at him.

“Remember him waiting in that tent with the chaplain?” Jacko asked.

Pete nodded.

“Well he knew she would come. I don’t’ think I would sit waiting for an hour would you?” Jacko grinned. “Car check out?” he asked.

Pete nodded.

“I need to get back to my equipment and check this phone out.” He told them.

Roman nodded.

“Use Ella’s car.” He murmured.

Pete nodded.

“I’ll go with him.” James grinned. “I want to get some things from the office.” He added and they knew he wasn’t talking about files.

Roman and Jacko nodded and watched as the others drove away.

“Well Hardcore?” he asked him.

Roman looked at him.

“We wait.” He proclaimed. “And we listen.” He added in an undertone.

Jacko nodded and caught the car keys from him as Roman threw them to him.

“Let me guess I’m driving.” He grinned.

Roman nodded and the two men climbed in the car and set off.

“I need to let Aden and Geoff know.” He murmured.

“You think they can help?” Jacko muttered.

Roman shook his head.

“I don’t doubt that can look after themselves but I’m worried about their families. Hopefully this is just about me but there is Nic and Belle and the children.” He said worried.

“You think Elliot would come after them?” he asked.

Roman turned and looked at him.

“Elliot is capable of anything.” He said quietly.

Elliot opened the door and looked at her. She was lying in the bunk on her back, a sheen of sweat on her face told him that the contractions had started.

She turned her head and looked at him.

“Roman is going to kill you.” She murmured softly. “And I’m going to laugh as he does it.”

Elliot smiled.

“Feeling it already?” he asked.

She shook her head.

“I need to have my hands free and my legs.” She told him.

“I’m not stupid enough to fall for that.” He muttered.

“Have you ever given birth Elliot?” she asked him with a sneer. “Because I can’t just lay here strapped to the bed. And take that fricking needle out of my arm will you.” She groaned.

A wave of pain washed over her as another contraction struck her.

She moaned and saw him flinch.

“Yes it hurts.” She got out through gritted teeth. “And this is the start.” she promised.

He reached down and undid the restraints on her ankles freeing her legs before he removed the needle from her arm. He looked at her before undoing the handcuff at the top of the bed.

“Water.” She told him.

He shook his head.

“You’ll have to make do with out.” He told her.

She glared at him.

“Now when I shut this door the next time it is opened it will detonate the device I have placed in the room with Mike. Now isn’t that an interesting dilemma? Do you want him to rescue you or your son?”

She shook her head.

“No I want him to tear your head off.” She screamed at him.

Elliot laughed as he moved to the door.

“I hope that the room is ok?” he said quietly. “It is the same one isn’t it?” he added and went out the door.

She watched it close slowly leaving her alone in the dark room and she sighed.

Chapter 34

Mike waited his ears listening for someone outside the room. He flexed his wrists and felt the cuffs with his fingers searching for the lock. He found the locks and flexed his wrists again using his long fingers he reached up into his watchstrap pulling out the pin from where he stashed it earlier he used it to pick the lock on the handcuffs. Hearing the clatter of the metal on the floor stilled him for a moment before he leaned down and opened the restraints on his legs. He stood and stretched before pacing out the room and checking it out.

After a moment he pulled out the small phone he had tucked inside his motorcycle boot checked to see if he was getting a signal. He saw two bars go down to one and tried to make a call. He got a dial tone before the phone cut out losing signal altogether. Tucking it back inside his boot again he hooked out his motorcycle keys and used the penlight on them to cast a small beam around the room.

Mike saw the device immediately and swore. He traced the wiring to the door and saw the trigger switch. It wasn’t connected to the device in his room so he knew exactly what Elliot had planned then and swore some more. He must have his Mum in the other room, or worse one of the kids, maybe even Danni. He pulled himself up short when the thought of Danni being the one in the room really got to him.

“Focus Mike.” He muttered. “Think. Second exit. Food Water.” He listed the things he needed in order and cursed the fact that the phone didn’t work because he could have done with ordering a pizza round about then.

He scanned the room again, catching a chink of light in the corner. It was the kind of light that came from an electric bulb and not natural light. He guessed then that the room was inside another building and an awful thought came to him. What if Elliot was sick enough to use the same location as Gardy. He felt a wave of nausea wash over him and knew it wasn’t down to the after effects of the drugs.

He pulled out the phone again and took a photo of the bomb and another one of the trigger switch by the door. Dragging the chair over to the other end of the room where he saw the chink of light he stood on the chair and raised his hand to the full and looked at the phone. He had two full bars of signal.

Manoeuvring the chair he tilted it back and lent it against the wall he was able to get up just a bit higher. He typed a message and sent it, along with the pictures before the chair collapsed and he fell back on the floor. He felt his head connecting with the concrete with a dull thud and gasped at the wash of pain that went over him. He managed to hide the phone back in his book before blackness sucked him down into unconsciousness.

Ella gasped through the contraction before she fell back on the pillow. She eased up moving the cuff that bound her wrist higher on the bed frame. She looked at the cuff before pulling out a hairgrip and trying to pick the lock. How hard could it be, she mused before swearing at it.

She fell back on the bed and cursed as another contraction started. She closed her eyes and focus breathing through the pain. She called to Roman in her head with each breath.

Roman lay on the bed and breathed slow. He had finally settled the children back in bed, Georgie and Sophie along with Danni knowing something was wrong. And then he had told Nic and Aden and everybody. Aden had brought his family over and settled them in. He and Belle were sleeping on the sofa bed in the study.

He looked at his phone clicking through the messages he had saved on it. Then he looked at the photos finding one he’d snapped before Sammy was even born of El and Meggy sitting on the sofa, Meggy looking at one of Nic’s magazines. He remembered how it had been a rough time for her then. She and Meggy were having trouble and he had not listened when she’d tried to tell him and he hadn’t understood. He’d sworn to listen to her after that, something so easy to say but not to do.

Even now he should be able to recognise the signs of when she was unhappy. The pulling away and silence. The times she would smile and it would not meet her eyes. They been together for so many years and yet sometimes, when it got bad it felt as though they were strangers. He hated that feeling.

He had heard stories from other couples about sitting in the same room as someone and missing them but never really appreciated how true that could be until after they had lost the baby. And then she had become ill. Watching her life slipping away. Getting the miracle of her remission before the accident that told them she ws dead when inside he knew she wasn't. Another hint at their connection. Hell no, there was no way he was going to lose her to Elliot.

He put the phone away and focused on her. She was out there somewhere, in pain and needing him, he was sure of it.

Ella moaned and then screamed as she felt her water break. She pulled at the cuff attached to her wrist uselessly, trying to get comfortable. She noticed that she was starting to bleed and swore again. She pressed her hand to her stomach and felt a ripple as the contraction began.

“Roman.” She screamed out feeling alone and scared.

She hated the pain because with each contraction it meant that she was running out of time. She gasped and panted through the pain and with each breath she pleaded for Roman to come to her. They had that connection it had to work. He was there when she gave birth to the twins. Even just the other day he had felt her calling. It just had to work.

She sighed when the pain moved away. Pulling up the skirt of her dress she adjusted her clothes ready. She struggled to gather a hold of the sheet at the bottom of the bed and pull it towards her.

She straightened out the hair grip and took another go at undoing the handcuff on her wrist. She was struggling to be a dextrous with her left hand, her right being the one cuffed to the bed. She felt it click and managed to loosen it on her wrist. If she could do that again she could get her hand out. She concentrated again. Feeling the lock, the hook inside, where it had to turn, how it was fused together. She pictured it inside her head and used the grip She moved it inside the lock and grew frustrated when it didn’t work.

Suddenly she heard a voice in her head telling her to take it slow. The cuffs were ready to be opened, she had done it once. She put the grip back inside and rested it a moment before flicking it slowly inside the lock. She heard a click and felt the cuff open wider on her wrist. At last she was able to free her hand.

She rubbed circulation back in her wrist and eased herself to a stand. The room was dark. She moaned feeling scared and alone. She moved along the bed until she touched the wall. Using her fingers to trace the wall she paced out the room. Near the door she had come through she encountered what could only be the bomb. She touched wires and was reminded of the bomb that had been strapped to her once before, when she went to feed the twins. She flinched away in panic and collapsed before she found herself crawling on all fours on the floor to sit in the opposite corner, her back to the wall.

“No. No. No. No. No. No.” she moaned shaking her head. “No.”

Roman shot up on the bed. He heard her. She was in trouble.

He swung his legs off the bed and walked downstairs in the quiet house. Going into the kitchen he made himself a coffee and started drinking it. He watched as the front door opened and Jacko came in.

“I thought I heard you up and around.” He murmured.

Roman nodded.

“She needs me.” He said simply.

Jacko nodded.

Roman poured the other man a coffee and they moved out the back.

“You guys watch the sunrise from here?” Jacko asked looking out at the skyline, seeing the sky begin to lighten in the distance.

Roman nodded.

“Sometimes.” He confirmed.

“It’s beautiful here Hardcore. Peaceful.” Jacko told him.

Roman looked at the other man.

“You making conversation?” he asked.

Jacko grinned.

“Seems like we never talk anymore.” He murmured.

Roman let out an unexpected shout of laughter.

“That’s better.” Jacko told him.

Roman looked at his friend.

“Why did we get Mike involved in this Jacko?” he asked suddenly. “If anything happens to him I’ll never forgive myself.”

Jacko grinned.

“He knows the score Hardcore, he volunteered,”

Roman shook his head.

“He’s a kid.” He told him. “My god Jacko, I couldn’t bare having to tell El if anything happens to him.” he said suddenly the words torn out of him.

“Not after killing her brother?” Jacko asked him quietly.

Roman nodded.

“I was in charge. If I’d focused I would have seen something was wrong that day. If I’d been quicker I could have got Michael out of that minefield and saved him.” He said closing his eyes on the memories of that long ago day.

Jacko grinned.

“Seems to me Hardcore the only one blaming you for that stuff is yourself.” he told him gently.

Roman looked at him then before feeling himself still. He stood silently and moved to the front of the house using the shadows to hide in. He saw the car coming down the drive and he crouched low and waited. He didn’t have to turn his head to know that Jacko wasn’t far behind him.

“Hardcore.” He heard Elliot shout from the still running car.

He looked up and saw that Jacko was holding a gun, he had it trained on the vehicle rather than the person and he held up his hand to keep him back. He saw the other man nod his understanding.

“Elliot.” Roman said standing and taking a step towards the car.

“Hardcore.” Elliot said with a grin. “Delivery.” He murmured and threw a disc at him in a plastic case.

Roman caught it one handed.

“You know I’m going to kill you don’t you?” Roman said to him.

Elliott laughed.

“I’m going to do it slow Elliot I’m going to make you hurt.” He promised his tone fierce.

“Am empty threat Hardcore.” Elliot told him.

“Threat?” Roman asked and shook his head. “No, Elliot that is a promise.”

They looked at each other for a moment before Elliot backed the car away up the drive before wheelspinning it around and driving off.

“Hardcore?” Jacko asked.

“Let's check this out.” He said looking at the disc.

Jacko nodded.

“Pete and James are on their way.” He told him. “And you need to see this.”

Jacko looked at him and saw the other man’s jaw tighten as he saw the pictures and the text on the screen of the other man’s phone.

“When did this come in?” he asked.

“Just now. Damn phone vibrating in my pocket. I nearly shot Elliott in surprise.” Jacko said with a grin.

“Working on your defence?” he asked him and saw Jacko nod. “Elliot is mine.” Roman told him.

They moved into the house and put the disc in the player to watch. The screen was filled with pictures of Mark.

“Good at mind games ain’t he?” Jacko murmured not expecting a response.

A shot of Mark faded into a picture of Mike sitting unconscious in a chair, restraints on his arms and legs and then finally a shot of El strapped to a bed. It was obvious she had gone into labour.

Roman swore volubly, before shooting upright and turning at a gasp from behind them.

“Is that Mummy?” Sophie asked him from the doorway.

He moved over to his daughter.

“It’s ok.” he said moving over to her.

Jacko jumped up and switched off the tv.

She looked up at him.

“It is isn’t it?” she asked. “Where is she?”

“Sophie it’s ok.” he said to her and saw her look up at him again and looking so like Ella in that moment that he nearly blurted out everything.

She shook her head.

“I don’t believe you Daddy. Where is she? I want Mummy.” She told him her voice rising.

“Sophie Nicole Harris.” He said to her.

She looked at him and put her hands on her hips so he knew that the full name trick wasn’t going to work.

“Sophie please. It’s very important that you don’t upset the others ok. There is a problem with Mummy and we need to go find her.” he said quietly.

She nodded her understanding and moved away toward the door.

“Sophie.” He called suddenly.

She turned and looked at him.

“I promise you that I will have Mummy home soon.” He told her.

She smiled and ran over to him to put her arms around him.

“I love you Daddy.” She said and pressed a kiss to his cheek before letting go of him and going back up the stairs to her bedroom.

Roman stood upright and turned to look over at Jacko.

“I’m going to kill him,” he said, his eyes cold.

Jacko nodded.

“Or you could just hand him over to Sophie, she just ripped my heart out of me.” Jacko said.

“News to me that you had one.” Roman said with a wry twist of his lips.

Chapter 35

Pete Jacko James and Roman were in the study talking. Pete had downloaded the message off Jacko’s phone on to his laptop and was studying the device. He enhanced the picture quality to get a better view at it.

“What are you thinking?” Roman asked him after a few minutes.

“I’m thinking Elliot is a sick puppy.” Pete muttered. “It’s clear from this shot of the trigger device that if you open Mike’s door then the counterpart device will trigger in whatever room Ella is being kept in.”

He confirmed what Roman had already suspected.

“Well we have a time issue. Ella is in labour. She has a medical condition and if she doesn’t receive proper medical care then.” Roman stopped unable to frame the words.

“It’s been a while since I did disposal Hardcore. I can’t do this.” Pete told him. “Not at the risk of both Ella and Mike. We don’t even know how far apart from each other they are being kept. It could be we risk going in for one and any resulting detonation will trigger the other anyway.” He explained slowly.

Roman nodded.

“He wants me to choose. One or the other of them. That’s what he has set up.” Roman bit out.

“It ain’t a choice you can make is it?” Jacko asked leaning back and looking at him. “You save Ella and something happens to Mike you lose her. “

Roman lowered his head for a second.

“And saving Mike. Well there are two lives at stake with Ella.” Jacko murmured.

Roman raised his head at that and pulled out the disc Elliot had delivered that morning. He hooked it into the laptop and watched it again.

“Any clues where they are yet?” James asked quietly.

“I keep thinking of Gardy.” Roman confessed. “And I don’t know why.”

They looked at each other for a moment.

“How sick is Elliot?” Pete muttered.

“Oh my god Ella.” Roman moaned. “I’ll kill him.” he added with a growl.

“You think they are there?” James asked sharing a look with the others.

Roman looked at him and then at the screen seeing Ella lying chained to a bed, clearly in pain. He bit back the swearword hovering on his lips and left the room, almost knocking over Geoff and Aden who were listening outside. He took the stairs two at time and yanked open the wardrobe door with enough force to pull it off its hinges. It stayed connected by just a couple of pins. Pulling out black combats and a T-shirt he changed clothes quickly before reaching for his boots. Black like the rest of the selection he pulled them on and did up the laces. Adding a black hooded top he moved back downstairs and to the front door.

“No.” Aden said to him.

Roman looked at him and then scanned the others.

“You need a doctor to go with you.” Aden pointed out. “Ella will need medical care.” He added.

Jacko looked at him.

“If we let you go now you’ll kill him Hardcore. And likely get damaged yourself.” He murmured.

Roman looked at them.

“Ella is in the same room she was raped. She is alone and frightened and he is taking some sick pleasure at seeing her that way. I’m going to get him and I’m going to hurt him and nothing you can say will stop me.”

Geoff moved to stand next to him.

“Ella wouldn’t want you to do that.” He murmured quietly. “You know that.”

Roman looked at him.

“Get out of my way.” He said softly.

“Hardcore.” Pete murmured. “If you go we go.”

Roman looked at him and then round the rest of them.

“What good do you think you can do?” he asked. “You’ve said you can’t disable the device.”

“My God.” Jacko exclaimed as understanding dawned.

Roman looked at him then.

“I choose her.” he told him quietly. “She’ll never forgive me but I choose her.”

Aden moved then and put his hand on Roman’s arm.

“What will happen if both doors are opened together?” he asked Pete.

Pete shook his head.

“Won’t work. Both will go off. He’s rigged it that way.”

Aden nodded.

“We go there and look at the rooms. Maybe there is another way out for one of them.” he said quietly.

Roman shook his head.

“Elliot wants me to do this.” He told them and shook off Aden’s hand.

“But Elliot doesn’t know us.” Geoff murmured. “We are family. We are Ella’s family.”

Roman found himself unable to stop them, he had no words left in him. He nodded and watched as they moved quickly organising things.

Jacko once more looked at him and shook his head.

“Ella would have killed you.” He told him. “That boy means the world to her. He’s all she has left of Jennie and Mike.”

“You think I don’t know that.” Roman bit out, guilt lining his voice.

“I know you know that. What I can’t get is why you would make a choice like that before we know everything.” Jacko murmured.

Roman looked at him.

“I lost her before.” He said quietly.

“Twice. And survived it.” Jacko pointed out. “What is going through your head Hardcore?” he asked and then he looked at him. “No way.” He bit out.

Roman looked up.

“You were going to give him something else he wanted instead weren’t you? You were going to offer yourself.” Jacko said. “But he wouldn’t have taken the deal you know that.”

“I had to try.” Roman defended.

Jacko shook his head.

“No. You think Ella would want that?” he asked after a while.

“I would do anything for Ella.” Roman told him.

“Including sacrifice yourself?” Jacko murmured. “Not an option I’m prepared to explain to her.”

Roman half grinned at that.

“Use your head Hardcore. You are smarter than him.” Jacko murmured.

“I don’t feel very smart at the moment. I let Mike get involved and then he got to Ella, not once but twice. I’m trained to protect those I love Jacko, so how could this have happened? And don’t forget we already dealt with Gardy,”

Jacko grinned.

“But you don’t hate him Roman.” He pointed out. “You know what a motivator that is.”

He nodded at Jacko’s words and looked up to see Sophie standing at the top of the stairs. She looked at him before running down the stairs and wrapping her arms around him.

“Hey, what’s this?” he asked her.

“I just thought you needed a hug. You’re going to go find Mummy aren’t you?” She asked him.

“Yes sweetie.” He said.

She looked up at him and he saw the best of them in her face, his eyes looking back at him and Ella’s smile.

“I’m coming too.” She told him. “Or I tell the others what is going on.” She threatened. “Mummy needs me.”

“My god it’s a miniature Ella!” Jacko exclaimed with a laugh.

Roman smiled.

“Then you go right ahead and tell them Sophie because you aren’t coming with us.” He told his daughter.

She looked at him and gave him a glare before storming back up the stairs. He watched her walk along the landing and then heard the slam of the door. He knew if he turned his head he would see Jacko laughing but he didn’t he focused on the stairs and expected that any moment he would see the rest of the children rushing out to take him to task for not protecting their mother. He felt a wash of hopelessness go over him before he banked down on those feelings and focused on his anger.

Ella focused on the contractions. Blocking out the bomb, although that wasn’t easy. She pulled the mattress of the bed and wrapped it around herself in the opposite corner before taking the sheets and wadding them up. She had no idea if it would help but she wrapped them around the device on the wall hoping that they could muffle the explosion. Crawling back into her safe nest she had made herself and hoped that Roman would find her soon.

Mike woke up and looked around the room. He forced himself to focus and ignore the nausea welling up in him. Gingerly touching his head he located the cut and winced. There was blood on his fingers from the cut and then nausea and blurred vision, classic signs of concussion. He groaned and eased up to stand, levering himself against the wall as he felt dizziness wash over him.

He looked up at the chink of light still coming through the window at the top of the wall and tested the chair. He climbed on it and tried tapping on the glass testing it. He found that it was toughened safety glass and would be hard to break. He couldn’t use the chair because he needed that to get to the height he needed to even look at the glass. He sat down puzzled and looked round the room. There was nothing he could use. He had no tools.

His gaze focused on the handcuffs and leg restraints. Metal. He had metal in his boots. They had steel toe caps. He reached down and took one off. Easing the chair back so he could tip it back against the wall like before he climbed slowly on to it and kept a fingertip grip on the ledge before using the boot like a hammer and hitting the corner of the window.

He hoped for the sight of shattering glass but knew that he wouldn’t be that lucky. He hit it again and then again before dizziness overtook him and he had to take a break. He breathed in slowly and bit back the ever-present nausea. He stood at full stretch before hitting the glass again. He heard the splinter sound of the breaking glass sound around the empty room like a gunshot.

Climbing down off the chair he pulled the boot back on and did it up. He turned and climbed back on the chair before moving broken glass out of his way. He managed to pull himself up the ledge and getting out slowly through the gap.

“So far so good.” He whispered.

Chapter 36

Mike groaned as a wave of nausea went thought him. He pulled out the phone and checked for signal bars. As expected there were none. He looked both left and right judging which way to go. He turned to the left and made his slow way along the corridor. He felt like Elliot was going to tap him on the shoulder any minute and it only increased his adrenaline levels. He scanned ahead while keeping an eye on what was behind him until he came to a stack of pallets. He lent against them as dizziness made his head spin. He gasped back a wave of nausea and figured his best bet was to get away. He was in no state to encounter Elliot or see just what he had done with whomever he had kidnapped. As much as he hated the idea he had to move and try and get some help.

Pulling out the phone he checked the signal again. He typed a message and hit send not knowing if the one and half bars of signal would get the message through. Biting back the feeling of being sick he stood up straighter and checked round him.

“Think soldier.” He told himself. “Use that training of yours.”

He looked around him and knew he was in a warehouse so that meant there would be fire exits as well as the main ones. He looked up, moaning as the movement got him feeling dizzy again but he saw what he needed, the fire exit sign. He started moving slowly towards it when he heard the scream.

Roman stood by the back door of the warehouse. He motioned at the others and they nodded. Geoff and Aden kept back by James. Pete went over the door checking it out.

“Clear” he called.

Roman nodded and watched as Pete opened the door slowly. He eased it open further still checking for anything that could stop them. The door opened with an agonising creaking sound as they pushed it before suddenly flying all the way open.

Pete and Roman looked at each other before Roman stepped through the door. At Pete’s insistence he was wearing a bullet-proof vest even though he had told them Elliot wouldn’t use a gun.

He stepped though first looking left and right in the dim light of the warehouse. He felt the adrenaline kick in and hated himself for feeling the rush of excitement that came with it. This was Ella and Mike he had to save and there was no doubt he had to save them. He couldn’t ever stand in front of Ella again expected her to love him if anything happened to Mike. He moved carefully along the right looking for the room that housed Ella. He was suffused with flashbacks of the previous time he had walked through this place and bit back the swearwords that were ready to spill out. He found himself hating Elliot for the first time. Not feeling anger at what he’d done to them, put them through but deep down hatred. He banked it down with the anger swirling round his gut and focused on the mission.

He thought he heard something and motioned for everyone to stop, giving it a second before moving again to listen out to see if he had heard correctly. He nodded when satisfied and moved along the route he had chosen. His footsteps remained eerily quiet in the large empty space as he scanned the area and moved through the space. Looking ahead he saw a stack of pallets and a dark shadow near them. He paused again looking to see if it were Elliot. Then he heard the scream.

Mike moved to the side of the pallets at the scream using them to keep him upright, and even then he swayed as the dizziness washed over him once more. He turned his head slowly and looked expecting the dark shape out of the corner of his eye to be Elliot he readied himself for a blow. He gasped when he saw it was Roman.

“Thank god!” Roman exclaimed and moved over to him.

He pulled the other man into his arms and hugged him.

“Are you hurt?” he asked.

Mike grinned.

“Only a slight concussion. “ he muttered. “I’ve never been so glad to see the two of you in my life.”

Roman looked at him and found himself grinning at the joke.

“Jacko get him to Aden.” Roman ordered.

“And Elliot?” Jacko asked.

“He’s not here.” Roman muttered. “He wanted me to suffer and this is just the first step. There will be more.”

Mike nodded then moaned sickly.

“I don’t know where she is.” He told the other man.

“Mike go with Jacko I’ll find her.” Roman told him softly. "We'll find her," he promised.

“Wait, my room was rigged with explosives. I’m guessing that hers will be too.” Mike told them.

“We know.” Pete murmured.

Jacko put his arm around Mike and half led him half dragged him away as Roman and Pete moved towards the area the scream came from.

“Ella.” Roman shouted no longer feeling the need to remain quiet.

“Roman.” He heard called.

She sounded frightened and he cursed feeling Pete put his hand on his shoulder in support. He nodded and pointed in the direction they heard the voice.

“Ella I’m coming ok. Mike is safe.” He told her.

“The baby is coming.” She called out.

He saw the room in the distance and started running. Going to the door he stood impatiently while Pete checked it out.

“Ella we are here ok. We are going to open the door.” He told her.

“Ok!” she called.

He heard a moan come from inside the room and felt Pete grab hold of his arm.

“How you going to do this Hardcore?” Pete asked him slowing him down so he would take a minute to think.

“Ella.” Roman called out. “You are on a bed can you pull the mattress over you?” he asked her.

He saw Pete nodding approval.

“I’m in the opposite corner.” She began and panted as another contraction started. “The mattress is around me.”

They heard her moan again followed by another scream.

“Clever cookie.” Pete said.

Roman glared at him.

“Yeah that is one compliment she’d love.” He said before he raised his leg and kicked the door open. They heard a single click before the boom from the explosion in the other room reached them. He felt heat at his back, like a desert wind propelling him forward and into the dark room. He only just managed to stop himself from falling. His eyes adjusted to the dimness of the room and he made out Ella curled up in a ball. He pulled the mattress away and reached for her.

“Roman is it really you?” she asked.

He nodded.

“Yes it’s me.” He whispered.

He put his arms around her.

“I’m going to carry you out ok.” he told her. “Ella are you listening?”

She trembled but lifted her arms and placed them around his neck.

“Yes.” She said her voice shaky.

He groaned comically as he lifted her.

“Hey.” She muttered. “I’m not that heavy.”

“Good girl.” He told her and saw her give a weak smile. “El I’ve got you ok. You’re safe. We are going to get you to hospital.”

“I know.” She told him. “Hurry ok.” she added.

He moved them outside with Pete following behind them. He got her out the door they came in, skirting the fire at the other end of the warehouse and carried her to the car. Aden moved over to them and quickly settle Ella into the back seat so he could examine her.

He looked at Roman a moment.

“We need to get to the hospital.” He said to them.

Roman nodded.

“Ok you me and Mike.” He murmured. “Geoff, you drive us.”

Jacko nodded,

“We’ll take care of this.” He said indicating himself, Pete and James.

Roman moved around the other side of the car and climbed in putting his arms around her. Mike sat in the passenger seat looking pale and Aden got in the other side of Ella. They set off Geoff putting his foot down.

Roman leaned forward and stroked the hair away from Ella’s face gently.

“I love you El.” He whispered. “I love you, ok.”

She clutched onto his arms.

“I knew you’d come.” She told him and then moaned. “Oh God!” she gave Geoff an apologetic look. “Sorry Geoff.”

Geoff glanced in the rear view mirror at her face and smiled.

“Nearly there guys.” He said to them.

It was an agonising few more minutes before they got to the hospital. Geoff pulled up in the ambulance bay and yanked on the parking break. He sprinted out of the car and helped Mike out.

Roman pressed a kiss to Ella’s head.

“We’re here. “ he told her and saw her eyes flicker open.

“The letters.” She told him the strength in her voice ebbing away.

“Ella no, don’t do this to me ok.” he told her.

He flung open the door at the same time as Aden and lifted her out carrying her into the hospital/

“Help.” he called. “Someone help.” he said again.

Aden moved rapidly becoming the professional doctor.

“Julie.” He called out to a nurse. “Get a trolley. We need to get her into surgery. Geoff take Mike through there." He pointed to an examination room.

He watched as they moved to obey him.

Roman placed Ella on the trolley and watched as she was wheeled away. He looked down then and saw the smear of blood on his arms. Groaning he moved to the stairs and ran up them to the operating rooms. He got there as the elevator doors opened and saw Ella being wheeled away. A team of medical professionals was moving to collect her and escort her into the room. He saw the look on Aden’s face and felt his strength leaving him.

“Aden.” He called.

The other man looked at him before coming over.

“If it comes to it.” he began. “Do you want us to …” he started to frame the question.

“No.” Roman told him. “I don't want to hear that. You will save both of them. She will not lose another baby.”

Aden grimaced and looked at him.

“I’m sorry.” He said. “We’re going to do what we can ok.”

Chapter 37

Geoff watched as Roman paced outside the operating room. Mike joined them. He had scrounged some hospital scrubs instead of the fetching gown they tried to make him wear. He’d had to have stitches in the cut on his head and had taken painkillers despite the ten minutes he’d argued against it.

“You were around.” Mike said to Geoff. “Was he as bad the last times she was in labour.”

Geoff looked over at Roman and half-grinned.

“Pretty much.” He confirmed.

Roman glared at them.

“Shut up.” He told them.

They looked at each other and grinned.

“The same temper.” Geoff told Mike.

Mike looked at him.

“I’ve noticed his temper before.” He said with a grin.

“Guys if you are trying to chill me out it isn’t going to work.” Roman told them his gaze focused on the door.

“No wasn’t my intention.” Mike told him. “Was it yours?” he asked Geoff.

Geoff shook his head.

“No I just wanted to moan about him. Have you any idea what it is like having him for a father in law?” Geoff grinned and looked at Mike. “There is stuff I don’t even think about doing! Let alone actually doing.”

“Try having him for a father. Now that is strict.” Mike grinned.

Roman looked at them then and finally stopped pacing.

“Ok.” he told them and moved to sit with them.

“Now are you going to let us get you a drink?” Geoff asked.

Roman shook his head.

“It could be hours yet.” Geoff told him.

Roman looked at the other man.

“I can’t ok.” he said. “Not until I know she is ok.”

Mike reached up and put his hand on Roman’s shoulder not surprised that the other man was tensed up.

“Dad, she’s in good hands. Aden is with her ok.” he said to him.

Roman turned his head and gave Mike a look.

“So I’m back to dad am I?” he asked him.

Mike grinned.

“I didn’t understand how much you loved her ok?” he murmured. “And hay, I was grieving too.”

Roman let out a quick laugh.

“I know that, why do you think I didn’t hit you back!” he muttered.

“Well you were drunk.” Mike pointed out.

Geoff laughed.

“And you thought that would stop him?” he asked. “You should have been with us on my bucks night. I saw him drink a bottle of whiskey and not even slur his words.”

Mike chuckled.

All three suddenly stood as Aden came out of the operating room and walked over to them.

“Aden?” Roman asked feeling dread hit him.

“It’s a girl. She’s doing ok.” Aden told him.

“And El?” Roman asked.

He tried to stop his heart racing with fear. He tried to stop his stomach lurching. He tried to stop visualising her gone and going through that grief again.

“It’s touch and go. “ Aden murmured. “We can’t stop the bleeding.”

Roman sucked in a sharp breath feeling his heart pound.

“We need your permission to perform a hysterectomy.” He told him.

Roman paled.

“I can’t.” he said. “El and I never even discussed it. I don’t know what she wants.” He gasped out.

Mike stood up, wavering for a moment.

“I’ll sign whatever you need.” he said.

Aden looked at him.

“Sorry, Roman is down as next of kin.” He said quietly.

Roman shot a horrified look at him.

“You don’t know what it was like for her when she thought she couldn’t have kids. We may not want anymore but I can’t take away that choice.” Roman murmured into the sudden silence.

Aden nodded.

“We’ll keep trying but if there is no improvement in the next thirty minutes.” He warned.

All four men turned at the sight of the baby crib moving out of the operating room. Roman moved quickly over to it and looked in on the baby.

“She needs a name.” The nurse told him gently.

Roman nodded.

“Lilly.” He said. “Lilly Alyssa”

Aden looked at him and smiled.

“Can I hold her for a second?” he asked the nurse.

She looked over at Aden before nodding and reaching into the crib to hand over the baby to him. He held her gently in his arms looking at her face.

“She’s small.” He found himself commenting.

Aden came over to him.

“But she’s ok.” he reassured him.

Roman nodded.

“Hello Lilly.” He whispered. “I’m your Dad.”

She pursed her lips as though saying hello and Roman found himself falling in love with her.

“She looks like Mum.” Mike told him.

“Good job don’t you think?” Roman asked with a grin.

He carefully handed over the sleeping baby and watched as she was gently placed in the crib and taken away.

Aden moved away from them and back into the operating room.

“Dad.” Mike began.

“I know what you are going to say.” He muttered.

Mike nodded and then sank down back on the chair.

“I hate concussion.” He muttered.

“Ha.” Roman grinned, “Just you wait until your ribs get broken. Now that is fun.”

Mike peered at him out of one eye, keeping the other closed seemed to help slightly with the double vision.

“Would you have made a choice between us?” he asked.

Geoff hissed in a breath.

“He did make a choice.” He told Mike. “He chose to sacrifice himself.” Geoff added.

Mike looked at him.

“Elliot wouldn’t have accepted it.” Mike told him.

Roman looked at him.

“And how exactly could I have stood in front of Ella telling her that I’d lost you?” he said suddenly sinking into a chair beside them.

Mike nodded and then groaned.

“Mike go to bed and get some rest.” He instructed him.

“In a bit.” Mike said tiredly.

Roman lent back on the chair and looked up. After a time the door flung open and Aden walked out. He shot up at this and moved over to the other man.

“We stopped the bleeding.” Aden told him. “She’s going to make it.”

Roman felt himself shake with emotion.

“Thank you.” He said softly.

Aden nodded.

“We’ll be taking her to a room soon.” The other man told him.

Roman turned and moved over to where Mike and Geoff were.

“She’s ok.” he told them.

“Thank god!” Mike exclaimed.

“Now get back to your room.” He told Mike.

Mike stood up unsteadily and Roman moved over quickly to support him. He helped him walk to the lifts and they stood waiting for the elevator to arrive stepping onto it. Roman saw Geoff stand up and go over to Aden. He read the lips of the other man without conscious effort and knew he was asking if Aden was ok. The doors closed before he caught the reply.

Chapter 38

Ella woke slowly in the room she looked up at the ceiling them round the room She saw Roman asleep in a chair beside the bed, a Teddy bear in his hands. She looked at him, seeing the shadow of beard growth on his jaw. He opened his eyes and looked over at her.

“Hey.” He said softly.

“Hey,” she managed to get out between dry lips.

He eased out of the chair and stretched, the bear still clutched in his hands. She smiled at him.

He caught her smile and leaned over to kiss her softly before placing the bear on the table beside the bed. He reached for a drink and held it to her lips. She took a sip of water and let it swirl round her mouth.

“Baby?” she asked.

“She’s fine. A little small but perfect.” He told her.

She grinned.

“When can I see her?” She asked him.

“We’ll bring her in soon. How are you?” he asked her sitting on the side of the bed and taking hold of her hand.

“I just want to see my baby.” She said not meeting his eyes.

“El please.” He asked.

She shook her head.

“Ok then I’ll go make arrangements to fetch the baby.” He told her and leaned into her to place a kiss to her head.

“Mike?” she asked when he reached the door.

“He’s fine. He’ll be in to see you soon.” Roman told her.

She leant back on the pillows slowly and closed her eyes.

Roman watched her and sighed before he moved out to the nursery. He spoke to the nurse and they fetched the baby for him wheeling the crib down the corridor and into the room. He saw Ella look up and smile.

“Here she is.” Roman told her.

He lifter her out of the Crib and placed her in Ella’s arms watched as he looked at the baby.

“Hello Little girl.” She said quietly looking down on the baby.

The baby opened her eyes and they were dark, like Elliot’s. Ella looked at her and felt a scream build up within her.

“No.” she moaned. “Take her away.” She screamed.

“Ella.” Roman murmured. “It’s ok.” he told her.

She shook her head and tried to push the baby away.

Roman moved over to her.

“It’s ok.” he told her again.

He took the baby from her and leaned over to press a kiss to Ella’s cheek. He cradled the baby to him even as he touched her cheek. She looked at him.

“Her eyes!” she told him.

“Ella.” Roman murmured. “She’s ours ok.” he said quietly.

He laid her back in Ella’s arms and she looked at the baby again, fearfully.

She gasped.

“Blue.” She murmured. “But they were just brown.” She said puzzled.

“No.” he said to her looking at her.

She shook her head and closed her eyes before opening them slowly. She looked down at the baby.

“What are we going to name her?” she asked him.

Roman blushed.

“I already did.” He confessed.

El raised her head and glared at him.

“Lilly Alyssa.” He said and waited to see if she liked it.

She looked at him and smiled.

“Your mother’s name?” she asked. “Alyssa.”

He looked at her in shock.

“Yes it is. I wasn’t even thinking that.” He paused. “And how did you know?” he mumbled.

“It was in your diary.” She grinned.

“That thing is going to haunt me forever isn’t it?” he groaned.

He moved to perch on the bed so he could take them both in his arms.

She sank against him, resting her head on his shoulder.

“I thought you didn’t read my dairy.” He muttered after a minute.

She grinned.

“I didn’t It was on the inside back cover. Their names and the address of the restaurant.” She looked up at him.

He chuckled and kissed her.

“When are they going to let me go home?” she asked him.

Roman looked at her and grinned.

“I have no idea. I think you might need to talk to someone about what happened.” He suggested quietly.

She flinched and leant back against him with a sigh.

“I’m ok.” she said and ignored the concerned look from him.

“Ok then. “ he agreed with her. “We need to sort out the baby and introduce her to the others.”

El nodded.

“Where are they, by the way I expected them to be banging down the door.”

He laughed.

“I told Nic to keep them occupied for the day.” He said.

She looked up at him.

“And?” she asked. “What time is it?” she muttered.

He looked at his watch.

“Around 2. You were sleeping for 10 hours.” He said.

She nodded looking down at the baby.

“Did you get Elliot?” she asked him eventually.

“No.” he murmured and felt her shake.

He tightened his arm around her and pressed a kiss to her head.

“El I need you to talk to me ok.” he whispered. “I need to be able to help you and if you bottle it up then I can’t.”

She flinched away from him.

“I don’t want to talk to you.” She muttered. “Take the baby.” She added.

He eased of the bed and held his arms open for the baby and lowered her gently into the crib. El looked at the drip before tugging it out of her arm.

“Ella stop.” Roman said realising what she was doing.

She moved off the bed, almost falling. Using it for support she went over to the window and opened the blind looking out on the sky and beyond.

“I’m not going to talk about it ever to you or anyone else.” she said clearly before moving into the bathroom.

He heard the shower come on and swore before looking down at the baby. He carefully moved the cot before reaching for the teddy bear and placing in the end of the crib smiling because it was almost as big as her. He pulled out his phone and switched it on, phoning Nic.

“Hey.” Nic murmured.

Hey yourself, are they driving you nuts?” he asked and heard Sophie in the background saying she wanted to talk to him.

“Just a little.” She said and he could imagine her grinning.

“Bring them in.” he told her.

“Are you sure?” she asked him concern in her voice

He grinned himself.

“Yeah.” He said and looked over at the bathroom door. “I think that it’s a good idea.”

“They closed the call and he switched his phone off and put in back in his pocket as Ella walked out of the bathroom.

“Hey.” He said.

She gave him a look.

“I thought you’d take the baby back.” She told him with a frown.

“Lilly could do with some Mum and Baby time and I thought you might want to feed her.” he said and eased away to sit down.

El shook her head.

“It’s probably best to keep her on a bottle.” She told him avoiding looking at her.

“Still need to bond with her.” he said.

Ella glared at him,

“You think you are so bloody clever don’t you? I don’t want to bond with her. I don’t want her.” she hissed at him.

“Fine.” He said. “I’ll call social services and give her away shall I?” he asked.

Ella folded her arms and glared at him.

“This is not some game that you think you can get me to agree to something if you play the right card.” She sneered at him. “I don’t want you and I don’t want that baby.”

“Maybe you want Elliot, after all you did live with him as his wife.” Roman murmured pushing her just a little.

“Maybe I do. Living with a deranged kidnapper is better than living with you.” She sneered.

Roman hid his grin as he looked at her.

“Go on then. Nothing to stop you. I’ll take custody of the children.” He said reasonably.

She sank down on the bed.

“You have an answer for everything don’t you? Well fine, I want a divorce I want you out of my life and if it means never seeing the children again then I don’t care. At least I’ll be safe.” She said quietly.

He nodded.

“Ok I’ll give you a divorce.” He told her. “I’ll have the children. “ he added.

She glared at him.

“But you’ll never be safe.” He murmured. “Not when you are living with fear.”

“I will be safe. Because no one will come after me again.” She muttered.

He stood then and moved to sit on the bed and opened his arms to her. She looked into his eyes before falling against him and sobbing.

“I’m sorry.” He told her. “I promise that I will keep you safe now.”

She shook as she clung to him.

“You better keep that promise mister.” She moaned.

He stroked her hair as he held her to him.

“I promise.” He said.

She pulled back and glared at him.

“Promising to keep your Promise is just stupid.” She muttered.

“But you know I keep my promises.” He told her. “So it just means that I’m doubly determined to keep this promise.”

She frowned at him.

“Now then the baby.” He said.

She moved out of his arms and picked her up.

“She doesn’t cry.” She said worriedly.

He grinned.

“Oh yes she does. She’s just giving me a rest for five minutes. She was just fed before she came in.”

She looked at him.

“You fed her?” she asked him.

He nodded.

“And bathed her. And changed her.” he murmured. “I know how important bonding is.”

She glared at him.

“Jealous?” he asked her and she nodded.

“I’m her mum.” She muttered and cradled her close.

He chuckled.

“I’m her dad.” He countered and leaned over to kiss her.

She smiled at him.

He stood and moved to raise the bed, moving the pillows so she could sit back on them. She caught hold of his hand.

“Hold us.” She murmured.

Roman leaned forward and kissed her before moving onto the bed and putting his arms around her.

“Are you going to try feeding her?” he asked.

She shook her head.

“Not for a bit.” She murmured.

He nodded tightening his arms around them.

“That Teddy is way too big.” She murmured.

He laughed softly.

“I know but it was cute.” He defended.

“Is that my ex-SAS husband talking?” she grinned at him.

He kissed her.

“It’s my wife’s fault she keeps having children and making me go all gooey.” He whispered.

They looked up as the door opened and the children started moving in.

“Mummy.” Sophie called and raced towards her.

Roman grinned and eased gently off the bed before taking the baby from El. Sophie reached her first and hugged her.

“Daddy wouldn’t let me go with him when he went to find you.” She muttered.

Ella looked at him over the top of Sophie’s head and saw him grinning.

“I should think so too.” She said to her. “But thank you for offering.”

“Do you want a cuddle Nic?” Roman asked his eldest daughter.

She grinned at him and moved over to the baby.

“She’s small.” Nic murmured.

Roman nodded.

“But perfect.” He grinned and handed over the baby to her..

She held her carefully and eased down in the chair by Ella’s bed.

“What is her name?” Meggy asked.

“Daddy named her.” Ella said and reached over to pick Meggy up and sit her on the bed next to her.

Meggy, Sophie, Danni, Sammy and Georgie turned to him expectantly.

“Lilly Alyssa.” He murmured.

“That’s pretty.” Danni told them.

“Lilly?” Sophie asked. “How come I didn’t get a pretty name like that?” she grumbled.

“I think Sophie is a lovely name.” Meggy said. “At least when it is shortened you still get Soph which is still nice.”

Ella laughed.

“I like Meggy.” She told her. “And it suits you. We can call you Megan or Meg if you want.”

She pouted and looked at Ella.

“No maybe not.” She conceded with a sigh. “Do we get to hold the baby?” she asked.

Ella grinned and pressed a kiss to her.

“Daddy named you too.” She said softly to her.

“Tell us the story.” Meggy begged.

“Hey.” Roman grumbled to his daughter. “Mummy is tired.” He added even as Ella shook her head.

She leaned close and began the story of how they were all born and named. Giving them each a hug and a kiss.

“And Lilly’s story?” Meggy begged.

“We’ll have to take some time to thing about it.” Roman said.

Ella shook her head.

“Lilly was being born in a dark scary room but Daddy came and saved me. Then she was being born here and the doctors wouldn’t let Daddy be in the room like he was with Meggy and Sammy so he walked up and down outside.”

“Ok, who’s been talking?” Roman grumbled, sitting next to Sammy at the end of the bed.

Georgie laughed.

“You always pace.” He told his father.

“And the baby was born.” Ella told them and looked at Roman.

“She came out and was really small. The nurse asked for a name and I came up with Lilly, because it’s a beautiful flower and means pure and Alyssia.”

“You’ve all got names that mean something special.” Ella told them with a yawn.

Roman chuckled.

“We should probably think of a special name for Danni.” He told her. “We wouldn’t want her to be left out.”

Ella nodded.

Danni looked at them and blushed.

“I don’t need another name.” She muttered.

Roman and Ella looked at each other and smiled.

“Ok.” Ella said.

“Ok? You’re letting the matter drop? Just like that?” she asked her.

Ella smiled at her.

“If you say you don’t want another name.” She said and shrugged.

Nic smiled.

“Who wants a cuddle next?” she asked changing the subject.

Danni moved over to her and took the baby in her arms.

“Sit down.” Nic instructed and moved out of the chair.

Danni nodded and eased into the chair.

“She is really small.” She mumbled.

Roman and Ella shared a look.

“Not as small as Georgie or Sophie.” He said.

They looked up as the door opened and Mike came in.

“Hello.” He said to them.

“Mike.” Sammy cried out and ran over to him.

“Hey Kiddo.” He said to his brother picking him up and hugging him.

“Mike.” Ella called.

He grinned and moved over to the bed.

“I’m fine.” He said to her.

“Let me look.” She muttered.

He placed Sammy down and moved over to her. She put her arms around him and held him checking him over for injuries as she did so.

He laughed at her.

“I want you out of the army.” She muttered.

He laughed.

“No chance. But a good try.” He said giving his Mum a kiss.

She glared at him before yawning again.

“Ok time for everyone to go.” Roman proclaimed.

Mike looked over and looked at Danni holding the baby and grinned at her.

“Is that the latest brat?” he asked and felt Meggy hit him.

“Don’t talk about our sister like that.” She muttered.

Roman laughed.

“Meggy.” He said warningly.

She looked down but wasn’t quite quick enough to hide a smile.

Mike chuckled and eased up off the bed and moved over to look at the baby. Before he knew it Danni had placed Lilly in his arms. He smiled down at her.

“Let me guess.” He began. “Everyone has commented how small she is.”

“Yes.” Danni told him.

Nic grinned.

“Come on kids. Time to go. Give your Mummy a quick kiss.” She told them all.

They took turns to kiss and hug Ella before Nic ushered them out while Roman claimed back Lilly and placed her in the crib.

“Guess that is my cue.” Mike grinned.

Ella caught hold of his hand to stop him leaving.

“Roman.” She said and looked at him.

He nodded and stood walking to the door.

“Ok, I’ll wait outside.” Roman grinned at her, guessing correctly that she wanted to talk to Mike.

Mike looked at his mother.

“I know what you are going to say.” He told her.

She looked at him.

“She’s too young.” She said to him.

“I know.” He muttered and pulled on his hand.

She refused to let go.

“Mum I got your point ok.” he muttered tugging his hand free.

“Are you sure you did? Because you were looking at her a long time.” Ella told him.

He sighed.

“As far as I’m concerned Danni is my sister.” He said folding his arms.

She looked at him.

“Fine.” He muttered. “Ok.” he added. “When I thought it might be her in the other room it felt weird alright.” He finished looking at his Mum.

She smiled.

“She’s still too young for you.” Ella told him. “I think you need to find yourself a new place to live.”

“Jeez Ma.” He muttered.

“Away from temptation.” She told him. “And it’s time don’t you think? If you can be in the SAS you can move out and get your own place.”

“You’re just saying this because you want the room for the baby.” He grouched.

She nodded.

“That too. I need Danni to be safe Mike and if you really care for her then you’ll give her the space to grow up.” She told him.

“Point taken mother dearest.” He said smiling at her. “How long have you known?”

“When you brought her in the house the first time. You kept your distance from her to a certain extent but I would catch you looking at her sometimes.”

He looked up.

“We can’t hide stuff from you can we?” he asked with a smile.

She placed her hand on his face.

“Of course you can. but I’m going to say no to stop you even trying to hide stuff. I love you Mike and I’m proud of you. I’d prefer you out of the army but a part of me always knew that you would choose that path for yourself.” she told him softly.

He grinned at her before pressing a kiss to her cheek.

“I love you Mum.” He said softly.

She put her arms around him and held him to her.

“I love you too my son.” She murmured.

He pulled away slowly and stood moving out of the door.

Roman grinned at him.

“She “Ella’d” you didn’t she?” he asked.

Mike nodded.

“I don’t know how she knew what I was feeling before I did but she did.” He said slightly confusedly.

Roman nodded.

“Think yourself lucky I’m married to her.” he said sympathetically.

“Did you know I had feelings for Danni?” Mike asked him.

Roman shook his head.

“God no.” he said and placed his hand on Mike’s shoulder. “What are you going to do about it?”

“Well, I’ve just been told I’m moving out.”

“That’s so funny because when I suggested kicking you out so we had a spare room your mother threatened me with sleeping elsewhere for the rest of our marriage.” Roman muttered.

Mike laughed as he moved away.

Roman grinned and moved back into Ella’s room. He saw her feeding the baby and he smiled at her.

She smiled back and held up her hand to him.

He moved over to the bed and climbed up beside her holding them both.

Chapter 39

Roman lifted the very last box of toys up the stairs watching as Mike grinned at him.

“I must tell your mother to stop buying stuff.” He groaned.

Mike chuckled.

“Like that would work.” He told him. “Do you think the kids will like it?”

Roman laughed.

“Well they aren’t moving back downstairs.”

They had decided that with Nic moving out to move the children to the Attic rooms, then they could claim the nursery back.

“We still have to paint the room and put the furniture together in the nursery.” Mike moaned.

“I have reinforcements arriving soon.” Roman grinned.

“Oh good.” Mike muttered.

“Suck it up Private Addison.” Roman grinned.

“You were awful weren’t you? I bet you made them exercise in the rain.” He grumbled.

“Not half.” Jacko said from behind them.

Roman grinned.

“Sgt Thompson.” Roman muttered. “I trust you brought the others with you.”

Jacko grinned.

“Of course. What was so urgent?” Jacko asked.

Mike looked at Roman.

“You didn’t tell then?” he asked him.

“Where would the fun be in that?” Roman asked back. “I’ll leave you to finish up here. You need to make the beds and stack the toys away. They’ll sort out what they want on the shelves.”

Mike stood to attention and saluted him.

“Is that a yes?” Roman asked with a grin.

Mike laughed.

“I suppose so.” He murmured turning around to place a box of toys away.

He looked around the room as Roman and Jacko moved down the stairs. The main bedroom had the boys beds in with a desk while the room next to it had been transformed into a girlie paradise. Then there was the lounge area and the bathroom. Roman had been up all night painting the rooms and putting together the new furniture, shelves desks and wardrobes. Mike moved and shifted a couple of the cats to make the beds.

“What?” Jacko muttered.

“Yeah Hardcore.” Pete muttered folding his arms.

“You heard. I need to get this room painted and through there. Then I have to put together the nursery furniture.” He told them patiently.

“So you called us here?” Pete asked. “To paint? And there was no emergency?”

“Ella is coming home tomorrow and we have no nursery. What other kind of emergency is there?” he asked them.

“You have to admit he has a point there.” Miles said from the doorway. “Ella coming home from the hospital and there being nothing done about the nursery.”

“Well that kinda qualifies. Especially if she finds out we didn’t help.” Jacko grinned.

Miles grinned and handed over a package to Roman.

“Is this what I think it is?” he asked Miles with a grin and opened it to reveal a 25 year old malt whisky.

“Woah!” Pete murmured.

“I think we just found our motivation.” Jacko said to him.

Roman looked at him.

“I so don’t think so. Drunk in charge of a paint brush?” he asked him.

“So what is this?” Pete asked looking at the two men.

“We have a bet what sex the baby is.” Miles told them.

Jacko grinned.

“Don’t tell me we are painting this room pink?” he asked.

Roman shook his head.

“Yellow.” He said. “With a border.”

Jacko looked at him and grinned.

“Let’s get on with it.” he said.

Roman pointed out the tins of paint and the rollers leaving them to it while he moved to the kitchen to make coffee. He saw Danni come in through the front door.

“Is it safe?” she asked him.

“Yeah.” Roman grinned at her and watched as she pushed the door open and let the kids in.

“What’s going on Daddy?” Sophie asked.

“Well we needed to make room for the baby.” He began.

“Daddy?” Meggy asked.

“Come with me.” He said and moved up the stairs in front of them.

He carried on up the second set to the attic rooms.

“Oh no Daddy is chaining us in the attic.” Meggy cried dramatically.

“Only one of you.” He murmured before opening the door.

They moved through the door to inspect the rooms. Running into the boy’s room excitedly.

“Daddy?” Meggy asked.

“Through there.” He replied pointing to the other door.

They went in and saw the princess beds and the pink walls.

Mike was making the last bed putting the lace bedcover on.

“Well brats?” he asked them.

Meggy glared at him.

“You and Daddy did all this?” she asked him moving over to a bed.

“Daddy did most of it.” Mike murmured.

“I haven’t put your books and things on the shelves but all your clothes are in the wardrobe.” He murmured to them. “Do you like it?” he asked them.

Meggy and Sophie looked at each other and grinned.

“It’s cool.” Sophie murmured with a grin.

“Well ok then.” He smiled at her.

She ran over to him and hugged him.

“We wanted the baby in with us but this is better.” She said to him.

He lowered his head and kissed his daughter.

“The baby would have kept you awake nights and you have school.” He murmured. “And speaking of school.” He added looking over at Mike.

Mike grinned and moved to a desk in the lounge. It meant he had to stand near to Danni and he avoided eye contact with her, catching Roman’s look of amusement. He opened up the laptop and switched it on.

“It’s my old one.” He told them.

“That is cool.” Meggy muttered.

“Yeah.” Georgie said.

“I’ll leave you to it.” he said to them moving back down the stairs. He saw Pete painting the edges of the walls while Jacko was using the roller to cover the rest of the wall with the pale lemon yellow. He looked through to the other room and saw Miles painting that room. He grinned before walking down the next flight of stairs and getting the coffee sorted.

Miles grinned at him as Roman finished putting the last piece of furniture together.

“I don’t think Pete and Jacko are going to forgive you.” He said sipping out of the glass.

“They decided to go.” Roman chuckled.

“That’s only because they thought you weren’t going to open the bottle.” He said taking another drink.

“I’ve opened a few bottles with them in our time. “ Roman chuckled.

“I know.” Miles grinned. “I got treated to a top ten of your greatest moments this afternoon.”

Roman let out a shout of laughter.

“No 10. When El walked into the bar and you realised she was Mike’s sister.” Miles began.

Roman shook his head.

“Neither of them knew that story so try again. “

Miles laughed.

“Yeah, it was El who told me that one.” He said quietly.

Roman looked at him watching as he took a long sip of the whisky.

“Are you about done Roman?” he asked.

“Yup. Do you think she will like it?” he said looking around the room.

“She will love it you know that.” Miles grinned. “What is the matter?”

Roman stopped moving the changing table to the wall careful not to press it back against the paint work.

“I’m worried about her. I don’t think she could handle anymore from Elliot.” he confessed.

“Has she remembered anything yet?” Miles asked.

“About the missing 6 months. Not a thing.” Roman grimaced. “I still have no idea what he did to her.”

Miles nodded and followed Roman out of the room and down the stairs to the lounge. He topped up their glasses and they sank onto the sofa.

“To Lilly Alyssa.” Miles said.

“To her godfather.” Roman murmured in response to the toast.

“Me?” Miles asked before grinning.

“El said she didn’t want anyone else.” Roman said and paused. “You were going to be godfather to…” he stopped.

Miles nodded.

“To my goddaughter.” He toasted.

Roman smiled and drank.

Archived